Thomas Jones: Can Jets fans explain this to me?

Jared

As an NFL fan, I never understood the career of Thomas Jones. He seems to be a solid, if not spectacular, player every where he goes. Yet it seems like every team he is on is eager to get rid of him to try to improve. The first three teams that seemed eager to get rid of him (ARI, TB, CHI) all failed to upgrade in the years immediately following his departure, despite their attempts, often involving high draft picks.

I am not trying to make predictions about Greene, nor am I trying to disparage your current RBs, but I don't get why teams seem to constantly try to get rid of Jones. With the exception of his first year with the Jets, Jones averaged 4.0 or better every year since leaving Arizona, despite having significant numbers of carries every season. He only has had more than two fumbles in one season.

What is it about this guy that makes every team think they can do better?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an NFL fan, I never understood the career of Thomas Jones. He seems to be a solid, if not spectacular, player every where he goes. Yet it seems like every team he is on is eager to get rid of him to try to improve. The first three teams that seemed eager to get rid of him (ARI, TB, CHI) all failed to upgrade in the years immediately following his departure, despite their attempts, often involving high draft picks.

I am not trying to make predictions about Greene, nor am I trying to disparage your current RBs, but I don't get why teams seem to constantly try to get rid of Jones. With the exception of his first year with the Jets, Jones averaged 4.0 or better every year since leaving Arizona, despite having significant numbers of carries every season. He only has had more than two fumbles in one season.

The Jets had $7M reasons to get rid of Jones. They weren't eager to get rid of him, he didn't want to renegotiate. As far as improving, I think they just used their eyes and saw they could probably do better. He is reliable and solid and will take what the D gives him, but he's not a top back and he's nothing special. You don't pay $7M for nothing special.

EDIT: Oh I forgot mano di legno. He can't catch, not even a little bit.

He is a Jew!

Joking of course, I hope nobody got offended by that.

He actually looked good the past 2 years, and I have admitted it when he has been. The thing is, he didn't look good really until he got scared that Greene would take his job. In that case, why keep the guy? He is nothing special as Dom said, and in fact he is actually just not very good period. The Jets O-line last year was a great run blocking unit. A lot of people could manage what he did. The actual talented players can do better.

With a poor O-line, he had what, 1 TD and a 3.6 ypc? Until the last 2 seasons I don't think he ever had double digit TDs either.

Now that he's on the Chiefs, he will probably suck again. Meanwhile LT can do at least as well or better in terms of ypc and what he can do with touches. It's funny, LT was not nearly as bad as people tried to pretend he was, because SD's line was weak (and it was never actually great in his career) while TJ was never as good as people claimed he was because of how good the line was for him. So now they've swapped situations. Jamaal Charles will probably have that job locked up, although I think Mangidiot is his coach so maybe not. Eventually Reid will get fed up and just fire him if he insists on playing TJ though.

So far in preseason I believe he has been brutal. The Chargers got Ryan Mathews, I haven't watched him play or seen his stats, but people like him so maybe he is doing okay.

Thomas Jones is a solid NFL back, very reliable but he is not a difference maker.

He is not a game changer, he won't break tackles and seldom makes people miss. He also almost always goes down on first contact and that is why most teams are willing to give up the reliable productivity for a more explosive tackle-breaking, game changing running back ALA Shonn Greene.

In addition to $7 million, Jones is not getting any younger.

But bigger than that, in an AFC title game the Jets had the ball and the lead in the 3rd quarter with Shonn Green running dowhill through the Colts' defense.

Green gets hurt. And from there Jones was ineffective.

Jones has always been the kind of back who needs 10-15 carries to get it going, and that wasn't the idea at that point. If he couldn't get the job done in that big a spot, there was no reason to pay him like a feature back.

In addition to $7 million, Jones is not getting any younger.

But bigger than that, in an AFC title game the Jets had the ball and the lead in the 3rd quarter with Shonn Green running dowhill through the Colts' defense.

Green gets hurt. And from there Jones was ineffective.

Jones has always been the kind of back who needs 10-15 carries to get it going, and that wasn't the idea at that point. If he couldn't get the job done in that big a spot, there was no reason to pay him like a feature back.

This stuff always bothered me. Thomas Jones does not wear down a defense. What he needs is the defense to get tired out by the blockers and by running around for half a football game. If he needs 30 minutes to warm up let him ride a bicycle on the sideline or do warm up style plays on the sideline like a relief pitcher in the bullpen. But spare me the notion that he needs to get stuffed 6 times and average 2 ypc for another 6 carries to get into some kind of rhythm.

How some RB's, who neither wear the defense down with bull-like power nor scat-back like change of direction speed, got the media and fans to buy into this "he needs 15 carries to get warmed up" stuff is a mystery to me. If he needs 15 carries to get warmed up then find someone else so we're not out of the game by the time he's finally warm.

Jones doesn't need 10-15 carries to get it going. He needs a great run-blocking line and on top of that usually needs to face a below-average run defense. He had zero games last year - NONE - where he averaged 4 ypc against a defense that wasn't yielding more than that to everyone. But hey, he sure did look awesome against the Bills. 7 friggin' games he averaged 3.0 ypc or less with the kind of blocking he had. AND now he's another year older, having just turned 32. This is not the great loss many have made it out to be, nor anything close to it.

The Jets offered to retain him with a pay cut and he refused, opting instead to be the #2 back in Kansas City. I wish him well.

This stuff always bothered me. Thomas Jones does not wear down a defense. What he needs is the defense to get tired out by the blockers and by running around for half a football game. If he needs 30 minutes to warm up let him ride a bicycle on the sideline or do warm up style plays on the sideline like a relief pitcher in the bullpen. But spare me the notion that he needs to get stuffed 6 times and average 2 ypc for another 6 carries to get into some kind of rhythm.

How some RB's, who neither wear the defense down with bull-like power nor scat-back like change of direction speed, got the media and fans to buy into this "he needs 15 carries to get warmed up" stuff is a mystery to me. If he needs 15 carries to get warmed up then find someone else so we're not out of the game by the time he's finally warm.

Jones doesn't need 10-15 carries to get it going. He needs a great run-blocking line and on top of that usually needs to face a below-average run defense. He had zero games last year - NONE - where he averaged 4 ypc against a defense that wasn't yielding more than that to everyone. But hey, he sure did look awesome against the Bills. 7 friggin' games he averaged 3.0 ypc or less with the kind of blocking he had. AND now he's another year older, having just turned 32. This is not the great loss many have made it out to be, nor anything close to it.

The Jets offered to retain him with a pay cut and he refused, opting instead to be the #2 back in Kansas City. I wish him well.

Not saying I think Jones' MO is acceptable, but a reality. Antecdotally most of his big gains tend to happen only on the 11th or 12th carry after 10 gains of 2 and 3 yards.

For all the TJ hate if he gets cut by the Chiefs I want him back. He's better than McLight and Chauncey.

1. He's not getting cut.

2. He wouldn't come back as the 3rd string RB.

McKnight certainly hasn't looked great, but he has shown flashes running to the outside and as a receiver. His main issues are running between the tackles and his fumbling. He will be the starting Punt Returner, and has done well with that. Not really that bad for a 3rd stringer who likely won't see a lot of touches anyway.

Chauncey has shown nothing and will be cut.

I don't know why other teams dumped him but I was fine with us letting him go. He surpassed my expectations his last couple of years, but that being said, he's an average aging starter. If LT's decline starts at the top of the mountain, TJ's starts at about the mid-way point. He's not fast or particularly powerful for a guy his size. He's about average in all the attributes you look for in a RB. He's durable. That's his good quality.

Part of the reason is positional wealth... in the NFL you can usually find someone younger or cheaper at that position. For example the Jets gave Ladanian Tomlinson less money than the Chiefs gave Thomas Jones. And there are guys who come out of nowhere like Priest Holmes. It happens.

other positions, Left tackle, quarterback, heck even 3-4 OLB i think a player with Thomas Jones type qualities might enjoy more loyalty. to use another Jet as an example, he like a Bryan Thomas type of player, steady and can help you in alot of ways but not going to change the game with 1 play. He's solid. Not spectacular. He didn't fumble and was tough inside the tackles. Very good pass blocker, which is underrated by fans.

but he lacked elite speed and a gamebreaking 5th gear. and there are always other running backs.

For all the TJ hate if he gets cut by the Chiefs I want him back. He's better than McLight and Chauncey.

I'd love to see TJ run back punts as effectively as McKnight. It will never happen! He is too slow! Washington is younger and faster and can play specials. TJ will not play specials. Why did the Bears dump him? He was OK for us but hardly a game changer. He was due big bucks and was getting older. Why, by the way, do you say IF he gets cut by the Chiefs? Is he stinking it up there? (2 yards at a time)

Do you think Cowboys fans miss Julius Jones? They're THE SAME GUY. Only the fact that Thomas Jones was running behind a great line and in a big media market like the Jets have you read so many articles by the media implying that we made a mistake letting TJ go.

Just watch Thomas Jones run, please. Look up some youtube clips. How often does he push a pile? How often does he break a tackle? How often does he burn somebody, or instead get caught from behind?

Jones is every bit an average back, and LT is already making us forget about him. LT can catch a pass, push a pile, break tackles, and find the end zone even when the blocking isn't perfect. In other words, he's the anti-Thomas Jones.

Its the reason why the Vikings went after LT just as hard as we did, whereas TJ will be behind Jamaal Charles on his depth chart.

Thomas Jones came to play week after week and he got the job done. Many criticized him in the playoffs but he was tired and hurting. SG took over isnt that the way a team is supposed to work. Id take TJ back anyday of the week.

Its supposed to work the other way around too. During the Colts game, GREENE got hurt. That was the time for Jones to step up. He didn't. He looked like he'd hit the wall. And once that happens, its OVER for a running back.

Its supposed to work the other way around too. During the Colts game, GREENE got hurt. That was the time for Jones to step up. He didn't. He looked like he'd hit the wall. And once that happens, its OVER for a running back.

Oh really being tired goes away the injuries go away when this happens? WOW I never knew that. Geez

Oh really being tired goes away the injuries go away when this happens? WOW I never knew that. Geez

I don't know what you said above, but Jones apologists are always saying it takes 10-15 carries for Jones to get going. Now you're saying he got too many carries during the season and got tired as a result? LOL.

So what's this guy's window to perform? 5 quality carries a game, and at the end of the season, 0 carries?

I don't know what you said above, but Jones apologists are always saying it takes 10-15 carries for Jones to get going. Now you're saying he got too many carries during the season and got tired as a result? LOL.

So what's this guy's window to perform? 5 quality carries a game, and at the end of the season, 0 carries?

I said if a guy is worn out and tired or injured HOW would that go away just because his replacement got injured. Better check your stats the NYJETS carried the ball more than anyone in the NFL in 2009. TJ had a vast majority of those carries.

And you were saying............

I said if a guy is worn out and tired or injured HOW would that go away just because his replacement got injured. Better check your stats the NYJETS carried the ball more than anyone in the NFL in 2009. TJ had a vast majority of those carries.

And you were saying............

If a guy is worn out or tired he shouldn't be on the field. Jones basically got to sit on the bench late in the season and all postseason watching Greene run all over people. The one time we needed him, he looked shot. Its no wonder the Jets let him go. What were we supposed to do if we'd kept Jones this year? Hope he doesn't get tired?

2009 NFL Rushing Leaders

NAME TEAM ATT YARDS AVG LONG TD

Chris Johnson Tennessee 358 2006 5.6 91 14

Steven Jackson St. Louis 324 1416 4.4 58 4

Thomas Jones N.Y. Jets 331 1402 4.2 71 14

3rd in the NFL read it and weep.

Amazing that the 3rd best RB in the league could only find a job as Kansas City's # 2 back, isn't it? Let me guess, you think Curtis Martin was better than Barry Sanders, don't you?

If a guy is worn out or tired he shouldn't be on the field. Jones basically got to sit on the bench late in the season and all postseason watching Greene run all over people. The one time we needed him, he looked shot. Its no wonder the Jets let him go. What were we supposed to do if we'd kept Jones this year? Hope he doesn't get tired?

You make 0 sense in a football frame of mind. Read the stats ABOVE.... :rolleyes:

Amazing that the 3rd best RB in the league could only find a job as Kansas City's # 2 back, isn't it? Let me guess, you think Curtis Martin was better than Barry Sanders, don't you?

Barry Sanders is a QUITTER.....Curtis Martin left the game because of an injury. Enough said.

January 24, 2010 (Jets vs. Colts)

Thomas Jones: 16 carries, 42 yds (2.6 ypc)

Again wasnt he injured? Real life NFL not Madden where you can keep pressing buttons and the guy is miraculously better. Come on bring an argument to the table or shut the hell up.

fwiw, he had several catches in a row in the chiefs game the other night and added some yac on top of it

Interesting. 4-16, but only a 6 yard long.

I went back and checked. Despite having only 10 last year, he's had some decent receiving seasons. Mid-30s in catches, even 56 one year with the Bears. He's not a smooth receiver, but his hands must not suck that bad. Tomlinson is another world catching the ball out of the backfield though.

Interesting. 4-16, but only a 6 yard long.

I went back and checked. Despite having only 10 last year, he's had some decent receiving seasons. Mid-30s in catches, even 56 one year with the Bears. He's not a smooth receiver, but his hands must not suck that bad. Tomlinson is another world catching the ball out of the backfield though.

Agreed and if you are following the coaching staff is trying to get Sanchez to throw to the RBs out of the backfield. Something he didnt do that much of last year.

Archived