Thomas Jones: Can Jets fans explain this to me?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Just average guy", I believe.

Parcells started it. It means Just Another Guy. It means your nothing special and in five minutes they could get someone just as good as you.

Just another guy....

How fitting... :rolleyes:

Fits perfectly with your hero. Thomas Jones is great at running through giant holes, and is good at holding onto the ball and blocking. He's average in every other way. Tell me how any of these qualities can't be replaced by LaDainian Tomlinson.

Edited by Jetsfan80

Yep, that pretty much is all I've got. Thomas Jones is old and washed up, and never was all that good to begin with.

He carried the NYJETS into the playoffs last season with 14 TDs. Thats right though according to your standards and football knowledge he sucked. Put down the crack pipe son.

He carried the NYJETS into the playoffs last season with 14 TDs. Thats right though according to your standards and football knowledge he sucked. Put down the crack pipe son.

The # 1 offensive line in the league, with 3 pro bowlers, carried JONES to 14 TD's.

Edited by Jetsfan80

The # 1 offensive line in the league, with 3 pro bowlers, carried JONES to 14 TD's.

I missed those games where he actually rode on the offensive linemans backs. Do you have any video. Your killing me the more you open yor mouth and spew nonsense.

I missed those games where he actually rode on the offensive linemans backs. Do you have any video. Your killing me the more you open yor mouth and spew nonsense.

I love your arguing style.

Attack the poster, not the things he is saying.

Anyone that has watched Jones runs can tell he is an average player. Anyone that has watched a half of football can further tell that the run blocking is generally more important than the running back.

Jones is good at staying healthy, he is good at not fumbling. What he is not good at is what makes RB's good and great...breaking tackles and being elusive.

I didn't mind the guy when he was here, I just always wanted an explosive player at that position.

Edited by drago

I love your arguing style.

Attack the poster, not the things he is saying.

Anyone that has watched Jones runs can tell he is an average player. Anyone that has watched a half of football can further tell that the run blocking is generally more important than the running back.

Jones is good at staying healthy, he is good at not fumbling. What he is not good at is what makes RB's good and great...breaking tackles and being elusive.

I didn't mind the guy when he was here, I just always wanted an explosive player at that position.

I guess you really didnt read the entire thread? Im not attacking anyone. Im bringing facts and stats. He brings nothing to the argument. Sort of like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

I guess you really didnt read the entire thread? Im not attacking anyone. Im bringing facts and stats. He brings nothing to the argument. Sort of like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Except your stats don't prove anything. Funny how you ignore Sperm Edwards' facts about Jones averaging less than 3 ypc against top defenses. Funnier still that you think the RB is the sole reason for any and all yards gained.

Part of the reason is positional wealth... in the NFL you can usually find someone younger or cheaper at that position. For example the Jets gave Ladanian Tomlinson less money than the Chiefs gave Thomas Jones. And there are guys who come out of nowhere like Priest Holmes. It happens.

other positions, Left tackle, quarterback, heck even 3-4 OLB i think a player with Thomas Jones type qualities might enjoy more loyalty. to use another Jet as an example, he like a Bryan Thomas type of player, steady and can help you in alot of ways but not going to change the game with 1 play. He's solid. Not spectacular. He didn't fumble and was tough inside the tackles. Very good pass blocker, which is underrated by fans.

but he lacked elite speed and a gamebreaking 5th gear. and there are always other running backs.

Well put.

hey so Im a little embarrassed to ask but what does JAG stand for? Ive pretended to know for far too long! :P

Just another guy....

Edited by CTM
  • Upvote 1

Parcells started it. It means Just Another Guy. It means your nothing special and in five minutes they could get someone just as good as you.

Just another guy....

Shonn Greene was hurt, not Jones. Jones is just old and washed up.

That's another point: the old and washed up workhorse stayed in the game as always, every freakin' game, and who are you to say he wasn't playing with pain?

The diff is, Jones is too big a warrior to punk out and bench himself over a minor bambi bruise in a game that huge.

Another key attribute you fail to acknowledge.

Well, he usually ran right into them. Jones running up a lineman's a$$ was his most common move. If he could actually do anything he'd get more than the 4.2 yards he averages, as that's about where the linemen were usually.

That's another point: the old and washed up workhorse stayed in the game as always, every freakin' game, and who are you to say he wasn't playing with pain?

The diff is, Jones is too big a warrior to punk out and bench himself over a minor bambi bruise in a game that huge.

Another key attribute you fail to acknowledge.

What a warrior! I think the Martinettes have returned.

If Jones was really playing with pain, then he was hurting the team by being out there. There have been no reports that Jones was playing hurt or injured, and there were 16 carries for the coaching staff to figure that out. I'll just assume he's old and washed up, thanks.

Thanks for the years of service, TJ, but I'm glad to have LT here instead of you.

Edited by Jetsfan80

All you have to do is look at two things. How much money TJ was set to make, and TJ's running stats last year in the playoffs compared to the War Machine's.

If the running game is even a little bit effective during the drive at the end of the 3rd quarter & start of the 4th, maybe we tie the game there and shift the momentum.

TJ running means more 3rd and longs, which isn't good for a team whose passing game is as terrible as ours.

What a warrior! ... There have been no reports that Jones was playing hurt or injured, and there were 16 carries for the coaching staff to figure that out. I'll just assume he's old and washed up, thanks.

Either way your reasoning fails. TJ had 331 carries and wasn't banged up or bruised? Okay, what was Greene's excuse? Couldn't survive 108 carries without breaking down and bailing on the team in the biggest game in over a decade. Now tell me, moron, who was the warrior?

Assume as you please, you're a complete joke.

Edited by greenerdaze

Except your stats don't prove anything. Funny how you ignore Sperm Edwards' facts about Jones averaging less than 3 ypc against top defenses. Funnier still that you think the RB is the sole reason for any and all yards gained.

And by applying your own logic, how is that not the doing of the O-line?

Oh, I get it, when TJ breaks off a long run that's the work of the O-line. When TJ hits a wall with no where to go, that's his fault.

Funnier still, you actually think you're not contradicting yourself.

And by applying your own logic, how is that not the doing of the O-line?

Oh, I get it, when TJ breaks off a long run that's the work of the O-line. When TJ hits a wall with no where to go, that's his fault.

By applying your own logic, how is that not the doing of the O-line?

Oh, I get it, when TJ breaks off a long run that's the work of the O-line. When TJ hits a wall with nowhere to go, that's his fault.

Edited by greenerdaze

Either way your reasoning fails. TJ had 331 carries and wasn't banged up or bruised? Okay, what was Greene's excuse? Couldn't survive 108 carries without breaking down and bailing on the team in the biggest game in over a decade. Now tell me, moron, who was the warrior?

Assume as you please, you're a complete joke.

How did we get to the biggest game in over a decade?

Was it because Thomas Jones was willing the team to victory from the bench the previous two weeks?

Exactly 50% of Thomas Jones' yards (701 of 1402) were gained after contact-the lowest percentage among starting RBs. That is a great testament to the Jets' O-line (and Tony Richardson) creating space for Jones to run. But his teammate and postseason star Shonn Greene had over 64% of his yards gained after contact which makes you wonder how he would have done given a full load.

Damning evidence right there.

Oh, I get it, when TJ breaks off a long run that's the work of the O-line. When TJ hits a wall with nowhere to go, that's his fault.

Im glad somebody else also realized this.

Im glad somebody else also realized this.

Do you cry into a pillow over the fact that Thomas Jones isn't here anymore? Seriously, move on. We have LT now and he's already looking like a vast improvement. Your boy is a Kansas City Chief now, get over it.

Do you cry into a pillow over the fact that Thomas Jones isn't here anymore? Seriously, move on. We have LT now and he's already looking like a vast improvement. Your boy is a Kansas City Chief now, get over it.

He aint my boy and neither are you. Cry into a pillow? Did you hear that at the special school you attended? My point was brought out by another member so it wouldnt look like I was attacking you. When he ran great it was the o-line but when he didnt you took the high road and blamed him. Get a clue and a life. If LT fails us which I hope he doesnt you will be back ridiculing him next. Take a hike.

Edited by visajets

No one is saying Thomas Jones was a complete bum. But if you're thinking he was anything special for us you either have faulty memory or really don't know how to evaluate football productivity. He was a good leader, had a strong work ethic, and was durable, but outside of that he was replaceable.

News flash, he's 32 and wanted to make too much money for us when we could find more efficient production in Greene + LT (hopefully)

It is really simple if you watch the game and pay attention. On virtually all of T. Jones's long runs, he ran thru a gapping hole. That was nice that he found the hole and had enough speed to go for a long run, but great runningbacks often break tackles or juke their way out of tackles and then have the speed to complete the long run. TJ was a good, servicable back as long as you have a very good o-line. Durable, rarely fumbles, decent pass blocker. Not great. Green has the potential for greatness and LT may not have lost as much greatness as people assumed. Good move by the Jets.