Thomas Jones: Can Jets fans explain this to me?

Jared

No one is saying Thomas Jones was a complete bum. But if you're thinking he was anything special for us you either have faulty memory or really don't know how to evaluate football productivity. He was a good leader, had a strong work ethic, and was durable, but outside of that he was replaceable.

News flash, he's 32 and wanted to make too much money for us when we could find more efficient production in Greene + LT (hopefully)

You ask any Arizona or Tampa Bay fans and you'll hear differently. TJ was dubbed the dancing bear in Chicago because he did not hit holes hard if they weren't around, and danced behind his linemen. Only reason why he was so successful (and Chicago went to the Superbowl) was because of a very strong, run oriented O and top D (wait, doesn't that sound familiar?). Last year too same story, but he's not a punishing runner who wears down D lines and does not have the burst to break the 2nd level. He's good, was servicable and reliable for how long he was here. In the eyes of any Cards fan, he's a bust -- a former top 10 pick who had all the signs and symptoms of being a money hungry bust (and shocking, he refused to take a paycut to make another run who was a half away from going to the Superbowl).

To those who are saying TJ is this great RB, what will be the excuse to his production this year? Is it because Jamaal Charles -- a clearly far superior athlete and runner is taking his touches? Is it because he's too old or injured? The fact is despite Charles last year not starting until the latter part of the 2009 year he still ran for 1000+ yards because he was a game-changer and play-maker. Many football gurus are calling him the second coming of Chris Johnson with his speed. TJ lovers will find out the hard way how bad their o-line really is, and how TJ rode the coat tails of a strong run game since 2005. What also TJ supporters won't be able to defend was that he chose landing one more payday over the chance of winning a title. Exactly confirming how Cards and Bucs fans view him.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets be clear - Jones was cut because he's not a good complementary back to Greene, who the Jets were going to use as a starter. As the #2 back, you want someone who is more of a shifty runner and pass catching threat - i.e. a Tomlinson style back, not a Jones style back.

Lets be clear - Jones was cut because he's not a good complementary back to Greene, who the Jets were going to use as a starter. As the #2 back, you want someone who is more of a shifty runner and pass catching threat - i.e. a Tomlinson style back, not a Jones style back.

That's not true. That's why he was expendable, but he was only cut because he had a big bonus due. The team specifically tried to re-sign him at a reduced rate and he balked. I believe it was stated that the Jets offered him as much as KC did, but Jones' "pride" wouldn't allow him to take the cut. The Jets FO would have been perfectly happy to go with Greene starting and Jones backing up.

That's not true. That's why he was expendable, but he was only cut because he had a big bonus due. The team specifically tried to re-sign him at a reduced rate and he balked. I believe it was stated that the Jets offered him as much as KC did, but Jones' "pride" wouldn't allow him to take the cut. The Jets FO would have been perfectly happy to go with Greene starting and Jones backing up.

No, he was cut because he sucks and was not a viable pass catching threat out of the backfield.

No, because we had no replacement.

No replacement for a guy that "sucks"? You're right about one thing though, the bonus wasn't $5M, it was $2.8M, but there were articles that they were in discussions to sign him back. They may prefer Tomlinson, but they'd have been fine with Jones. If his contract was low (like the $900K he got for '09) he'd still be a Jet.

He aint my boy and neither are you. Cry into a pillow? Did you hear that at the special school you attended? My point was brought out by another member so it wouldnt look like I was attacking you. When he ran great it was the o-line but when he didnt you took the high road and blamed him. Get a clue and a life. If LT fails us which I hope he doesnt you will be back ridiculing him next. Take a hike.

LT won't fail us, because he does things TJ simply couldnt do. Are you reading what other people are pointing out in this thread, or is your tunnel vision that narrow?

Archived