Regarding Offense, You haven't Seen it Fully Loaded Yet

Jbro22

By Bassett on 30. Aug, 2010

Jim Leonhard is going to be blogging for GreenandWhiteReport.com and addresses a number of issues concerning the team right now, from the Calvin Pace injury to the Darrelle Revis situation and is well worth the read.

Here’s what Leonhard has to say about the team’s offense.

[is the defense] carrying the load for the offense? Maybe a little bit right now, but I want to caution about this – you haven’t seen our offense fully-loaded yet.

Our offense right now is very vanilla and you’re not really seeing pieces like Santonio Holmes right yet, who will be a big piece for us later in the season. Don’t ever judge an offense by the preseason it may be having; I’ve been around this game too long to fall for that. This is a good offense; it just needs a couple more weeks to get it all together.

Keep in mind that while Mark Sanchez has been up and down, he had a great game against New York except for one throw. The last two games have been rough but I think it will come together. It is awfully close to all coming together.

I’m glad to see that Leonhard is confident in his team’s offense, and he’s not the first one to say that the offense has been vanilla … Tomlinson said something similar after the last game.

I sure hope Leonhard is right, but his point about the Giants game can be two-sided. While Sanchez made only one mistake, he also played a portion of the game, not the whole. So … will he make more mistakes in more time on the field? Based on how Sanchez played in the playoffs, I have to think that it is going to click sooner rather than later, but bad reads and telegraphing passes is something we saw as a serious problem dating back to the Saints game last season. I know he’s made progress, but how much? There’s little margin for error once the bullets are real.

From TheJetsBlog.com

I'll keep on saying it until I see otherwise out of Sanchez. It doesn't make a difference if it's "vanilla" or whatever else flavor you want to give the offense at the moment...it comes down to execution. It doesn't make a difference if we lost every single game in preseason either.

I'm just not comfortable with the way Sanchez is handling the offense. And he needs to have a better handle of the pass rush coming at him or he won't last more than a few games. That hit he took on his shoulder should be a warning. You don't see Peyton taking shots like that.

I'll keep on saying it until I see otherwise out of Sanchez. It doesn't make a difference if it's "vanilla" or whatever else flavor you want to give the offense at the moment...it comes down to execution. It doesn't make a difference if we lost every single game in preseason either.

I'm just not comfortable with the way Sanchez is handling the offense. And he needs to have a better handle of the pass rush coming at him or he won't last more than a few games. That hit he took on his shoulder should be a warning. You don't see Peyton taking shots like that.

Really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X54Nsfjw5uE

Mark has to show better pocket awareness -when to get rid of the ball than what he has shown this pre season. LT as safety valve should be his number one fall back.

my problem is it seems to me that he's using LT a little too much for my liking. I think he's relying on that safety valve now that he has a great pass catching running back. But it's too early in the season to say its gonna be that way all year.

Personally I think Sanchez has one of the better play fakes in the league, and wouldn't mind seeing the Jets use more of it this year than they did last year. Something we saw only a couple times this preseason.

Really?

I think its awful. Unfortunately we dont use enough for him to improve but he doesnt sell the hand off at all. Its like a flash in the RB's direction and he does nothing to hide the ball afterwards.

The only reason it works is because our running game has been much more of a threat than our passing game.

Really?

I think its awful. Unfortunately we dont use enough for him to improve but he doesnt sell the hand off at all. Its like a flash in the RB's direction and he does nothing to hide the ball afterwards.

The only reason it works is because our running game has been much more of a threat than our passing game.

Well thats a big part of it but I definitely think he sells the fake well. I mean 1 time last year they ran fake dive and he bootlegged untouched/unseen into the endzone. And another time a goal line play action fooled everyone for an easy pass to Hartstock(I think).

I guess in the 'Vanilla Offense', the QB is only supposed to look at one WR, and look at him the whole way.

yeah technically Jim Leonard is right they aren't using their good plays... but Mark's decision making has been poor. Any can see his performance over 6 quarters and not be thrilled.

I guess in the 'Vanilla Offense', the QB is only supposed to look at one WR, and look at him the whole way.

yeah technically Jim Leonard is right they aren't using their good plays... but Mark's decision making has been poor. Any can see his performance over 6 quarters and not be thrilled.

This was my thought. What does a vanilla offense have to do with staring down his primary target for so long that the pass rush is on top of him by the time he looks to option #2?

This was my thought. What does a vanilla offense have to do with staring down his primary target for so long that the pass rush is on top of him by the time he looks to option #2?

He's lulling the rest of the league into a false sense of security while simultaneously helping the Jets to reclaim their more comfortable role as underdogs. It's genius, really.

He's lulling the rest of the league into a false sense of security while simultaneously helping the Jets to reclaim their more comfortable role as underdogs. It's genius, really.

lol. I admit it then. He fooled me good. Must be Schottenheimer talking through his helmet every play: "Now whatever you do, keep focussed on your primary target until he gets open or until you're sacked. They'll think you're going to do this all the time. *giggle-giggle* "

the real offense will be fully loaded with handoffs, and a small dose of screens, the brad smith packahge, some LT "horned frog" and the occasional play action bomb on 2nd and 1 from midfield

this isn't the year to turn him loose, he's just not ready

What bothers me is his when he hits someone in the backfield, a yard or two behind the line of scrimmage, who has "1.5" coverage on him (1 tight, 1 nearby). That's just a total lose-lose situation. Either he's going to catch the ball and be tackled for a loss, or he's going to catch the ball, get popped and cough it up to the other team. Why not throw it away Mark? I've seen him do this like 4 times this preseason already.

Do other team's fans use the vanilla excuse as often as Jet fans? If its a vanilla offense than its playing against a vanilla defense and so the two vanillas balance out. Vanilla + Vanilla = Sexual Chocolate.

Jim Leonhard isnt a fan, he just looks like one.

If Mark Sanchez turns out to be Alex Smith, I will cry. I'm serious.

I see no reason to leap to conclusions like this, I really don't. He has a rough rookie campaign, every rookie QB that doesn't sit for a few years does that. (Don't trot out 5-10 names in NFL history that are rare exceptions). Never the less, he didn't damage us enough to keep us from the AFC championship game and honestly, it wasn't his fault we lost there either. He followed that up with a rough pre-season. Color me unconcerned.

The problem is going to be, yes, he's not going to be able to take much of a step up this year. It's foolish to think otherwise. He needs another year or two bare minimum... and that's not taking into account his limited college experience. But at the end of the day, he'll be just fine. No Peyton Manning, no Tom Brady, but maybe a Carson Palmer or Eli Manning caliber. Given our history, that's just fine for me.

Must be Schottenheimer talking through his helmet every play: "Now whatever you do, keep focussed on your primary target until he gets open or until you're sacked. They'll think you're going to do this all the time. *giggle-giggle* "

If Schottenheimer is talking to him through his helmet, it would be more like "ok Mark - three bravo slot shift vector left short deuce niner no-post back slant drop forty-two hawk-eye blue - got it?"

Archived