2 teams in Fiedler hunt

SoFlaJets

Bears, Jets leading pursuit of former Miami quarterback

2 teams in Fiedler hunt

March 9, 2005

For former Miami quarterback Jay Fiedler, it may well come down to this: Does he have a better chance of playing this season backing up the New York Jets' Chad Pennington or the Bears' Rex Grossman?

Pennington is coming off shoulder surgery and isn't expected to throw until summer.

Grossman is coming off knee surgery, but the Bears expect him to be ready for training camp.

Pennington is ensconced as the Jets' No. 1 quarterback after leading them to the playoffs twice.

Grossman is trying to get where Pennington is after starting only six games in two seasons.

Decisions, decisions.

Fiedler visited with the Bears on Tuesday and will meet with the Jets on Thursday, the same day the Bears entertain former Tampa Bay starter Brad Johnson, who visits Detroit on Wednesday. The Lions also have talked to Jeff Garcia.

Which team can come closest to offering Fiedler what he wants--a chance to play?

"I don't know if I can get into that now before meeting with people in New York," Fiedler said Tuesday. "One of the things in meeting with the coaches here is that they're going to play their best players, and they made it clear that's going to happen."

With the Jets, Fiedler would sign as the clear No. 2. With the Bears, he would begin as No. 3 behind Grossman and Chad Hutchinson but would have a chance to ascend.

Fiedler also talked to the New York Giants, but they subsequently signed ex-Bear Jim Miller to back up Eli Manning.

"With that signing, the Jets and [the Bears] become more appealing," Fiedler said.

Fiedler, 33, ended last season on injured reserve with a herniated cervical disc, but he said he has been cleared to play.

The Dartmouth graduate spent five seasons with the Dolphins as coach Dave Wannstedt's choice to succeed Dan Marino. The Dolphins were 37-23 in games Fiedler started. The Dolphins turned to A.J. Feeley after Wannstedt was fired near the end of last season.

"My health is good," Fiedler said. "I got clearance from all the doctors. The symptoms have all passed."

Fiedler would be the Bears' most experienced quarterback in a new-look offense.

"There's a great nucleus of young talent here," Fiedler said. "I think they've done a nice job getting [Muhsin] Muhammad and Fred Miller and upgrading the offensive talent.

"You can come in and be around a couple quarterbacks who don't have a lot of NFL experience. [i could] come in and work with them and gain a relationship around here, try and earn the respect of people in the organization."

Fiedler said the Jets interview will be his last visit.

"They're looking for another guy right now, and it's intriguing because whoever comes in is going to get the opportunity for a lot of reps with the starting unit throughout the off-season while Chad's rehabbing," Fiedler said.

Fiedler, a native of Oceanside, N.Y., said the Jets do not have a hometown advantage.

"The decision will be based on the comfort I have with the team and the organization," he said. "Location might be an added bonus in New York, but it's not going to play a factor in where I want to go."

Fiedler said he would like to decide by the weekend. The Bears can play their part in the decision after Johnson's visit. The Bears want to sign Fiedler or Johnson instead of dipping to the next level of unsigned quarterbacks.

Fieldler makes it sound like he's the one calling the shots on this. Hellooooo, hey Jay, you were let go by a team hard up for a QB...you'd better grab the first offer or you'll be just another Dartmouth booster in the not too distant future.

My guess is that his best chance at getting serious playing time next year is with the Bears. Both Grossman and Penny are injury risks, but Grossman adds the element of not being an established QB to the mix. I would say that we are the underdogs in this hunt. I think we tend to over rate how much people want to play where they grew up.

Chicago isn't going to give up on Grossman. And he's going to be a back up where ever he goes. The only team that was looking for a starter was Arizona and they got Kurt and Brenda Warner. Besides... we need more jewish representation on the Jets. I need more of that on the Jets.

mine too GJ&H Say Chad's having another bad day against NE Feidler has beaten them a couple of times recently-you pull Chad feign injury whatever it takes and WIN THE GAME AT ANY COST or at the expense of anybody's ego.Get the deal done b/c Brooks Bollinger can't do what JF can do.

There are other backups available, you know. :roll:

Like who? Vinny? Quincy? No thanks.

And if your thinking the guy who likes to make people believe he is straight, Jeff Garcia, he isn't coming to a team where he won't have the opp. to have a chance to battle for the starting job.

Like who? Vinny? Quincy? No thanks.

And if your thinking the guy who likes to make people believe he is straight, Jeff Garcia, he isn't coming to a team where he won't have the opp. to have a chance to battle for the starting job.

How about Brad Johnson? Yeah, you can say ''so what if he won a ring, Trent Dilfer won one too, doesnt make him a good QB!'' Well now Dilfer is probably starting at Cleveland, so why would Johnson not be a good choice to be the backup here?

Archived