TJ to Jets?

The Jets are looking to pinch pennies left and right with their current players, but, are willing to pay TJ's 7 million dollar salary this year?

This makes zero sense. When Santonio comes back, TJ would be the 4th receiver(for 7 mill!)

Jets | Make trade offer for T.J. Houshmandzadeh

Fri, 03 Sep 2010 21:38:05 -0400

The New York Jets have made a trade offer for Seattle Seahawks WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh, reports The Cincinnati Enquirer's Joe Reedy, according to a league source. The Jets are one of four teams to make an offer for the wide receiver.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/player/412/nfl#ixzz0yXM8VdrA

Actually the move makes a ton of sense. Like it or not, Sanchez needs to imitate Chad Pennington more than Brett Farve for the Jets to be successful. TJ is good in the slot and will have the ball thrown to him more Edwards.

As for Money. PURE SPECULATION. Every organization operates within a budget and a plan. The plan for this year included a couple of major expenditures but otherwise didn't included spending a ton in FA. It very possible that this signals that the Jets have given up on the idea of signing Revis to a new contract this year and decided to spend the money that would have been spent on his bonus and raise on a wr that would help out Sanchez. It is also possible that the Jets have no intention of signing TJ and are floating this to send the Revis camp a message that if he doesn't sign soon the Jets are going to spend the money they had planned on using on him elsewhere and his new choice will be either sit out or wait until next year for a new contract.

As for TJ's locker room issues. I have seen nothing since Rex Ryan has arrived with the Jets to suggest any sort of unwillingness to sign players with locker room issues elsewhere. Whether this will ultimately work out or not is still to be seen.

I think this is BS, probably some sh*t conjured up by an agent or reporter... frankly, if I were a writer trying to break a potential TJ Housh trade, I would throw the Jets in the pot as suitors, just because their track record the last 5 years of being in the mix for EVERY name in the offseason... its believable, but in this case fairly transparent.

Pending moves at the receiver position in Seattle will create reverbations around the NFL.

The Seattle Seahawks will cut ties with T.J. Houshmandzadeh by trading or releasing him, according to two league sources, and it will promote former Detroit first-round draft pick Mike Williams into its starting lineup for a Sept. 12 game against San Francisco.

The 32-year-old Houshmanzadeh caught 79 passes last season and will be a bargain for another team this season.

His Seahawks contract includes offset language that makes Seattle liable to pay Houshmanzadeh whatever his new team doesn't.

So if Houshmanzadeh were to sign a veteran minimum deal of $850,000, the Seahawks would be liable for the remaining $6.15 million balance.

Seattle signed Houshmanzadeh to a five-year, $40 million contract last offseason, and Seattle will wind up having paid him $15 million for his one season with the Seahawks.

Meanwhile, the 32-year-old Houshmanzadeh's departure means that Williams' story becomes one of the best and unlikeliest of the summer.

He has gone from a player that nobody wanted to a wide receiver that now will start with the Seahawks under his former college head coach Pete Carroll.

Williams will start likely opposite Deion Branch, with Deon Butler and Golden Tate as reserves.

And the Seahawks moves are not done. They also are likely to pursue quarterback Patrick Ramsey, whom New Orleans released Friday. If Seattle landed him, it likely would have to get rid of another quarterback.

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider.

Pending moves at the receiver position in Seattle will create reverbations around the NFL.

The Seattle Seahawks will cut ties with T.J. Houshmandzadeh by trading or releasing him, according to two league sources, and it will promote former Detroit first-round draft pick Mike Williams into its starting lineup for a Sept. 12 game against San Francisco.

The 32-year-old Houshmanzadeh caught 79 passes last season and will be a bargain for another team this season.

His Seahawks contract includes offset language that makes Seattle liable to pay Houshmanzadeh whatever his new team doesn't.

So if Houshmanzadeh were to sign a veteran minimum deal of $850,000, the Seahawks would be liable for the remaining $6.15 million balance.

Seattle signed Houshmanzadeh to a five-year, $40 million contract last offseason, and Seattle will wind up having paid him $15 million for his one season with the Seahawks.

Meanwhile, the 32-year-old Houshmanzadeh's departure means that Williams' story becomes one of the best and unlikeliest of the summer.

He has gone from a player that nobody wanted to a wide receiver that now will start with the Seahawks under his former college head coach Pete Carroll.

Williams will start likely opposite Deion Branch, with Deon Butler and Golden Tate as reserves.

And the Seahawks moves are not done. They also are likely to pursue quarterback Patrick Ramsey, whom New Orleans released Friday. If Seattle landed him, it likely would have to get rid of another quarterback.

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider.

but if you trade for the guy,arnt you responsible for his salary.i can understand that if he is cut and a team picks him up,but

Actually it does make sense.

I read an article yesterday that said that by contract if TJ was cut, or traded, and another team signed him for veteran min. The Seahawks would be responsible for the remainder of his contract.

I’ll try to find the article.

I thought if he got cut Seattle was on the hook, but if he were traded his new team would be on the hook. I guess it's possible that they could work out a trade that involves cash to offset the contract somewhat, though.

I also thought the Jets missed out when the Cowboys traded Patrick Crayton to San Diego. The guy is better than Roy Williams as a receiver, but the 'Boys aren't willing to admit that mistake yet, apparently. He's also a very good special teamer. For a seventh rounder? Good deal for them.

I don't put it past the Jets (if they can get him less for $7M). I don't think they're satisfied at all with Clowney in their WR rotation.

Does it matter if we got him for league minimum? Wouldn't he just be another part of a poorly designed and implemented play that wasn't going to get him the ball?

Word. I'm sure Holmes and Edwards, both fighting for a contract, would love the opportunity to lose even more catches. And asking Mark Sanchez to manage a three, four wideout set has always gone so seamlessly.

Actually it does make sense.

I read an article yesterday that said that by contract if TJ was cut, or traded, and another team signed him for veteran min. The Seahawks would be responsible for the remainder of his contract.

I’ll try to find the article.

I read that too. contract guaranteed, so whatever new team pays, seahawks pay the difference.

The Jets are looking to pinch pennies left and right with their current players, but, are willing to pay TJ's 7 million dollar salary this year?

This makes zero sense. When Santonio comes back, TJ would be the 4th receiver(for 7 mill!)

Jets | Make trade offer for T.J. Houshmandzadeh

Fri, 03 Sep 2010 21:38:05 -0400

The New York Jets have made a trade offer for Seattle Seahawks WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh, reports The Cincinnati Enquirer's Joe Reedy, according to a league source. The Jets are one of four teams to make an offer for the wide receiver.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/player/412/nfl#ixzz0yXM8VdrA

He's still better than any #4 we have right now. And we should have kept Coles as our #5 as well.

Either way, if we signed him to the minimum, we'd be responsible for that money, and SEA would have to pay the #7M, not us.

He's still better than any #4 we have right now. And we should have kept Coles as our #5 as well.

Either way, if we signed him to the minimum, we'd be responsible for that money, and SEA would have to pay the #7M, not us.

if he was cut,that would be possible.but if the jets trade for him,they are on the hook for 7m,no?

Mannish/Vrentas saying trade talk is BS.

TheJetsStream Per league source, #Jets did NOT offer trade to Seattle for WR TJHoushmandzadeh. #nfl #nyj

JennyVrentas Also, Jets did not put in a trade offer for WR TJ Houshmanzadeh, according to a person w/direct knowledge of the jets' interest level. #nyj

Where the hell did this "Jenny Vrentas" character come from and why must my offseason be filled with constant denials if everything from her and Manish

Mannish/Vrentas saying trade talk is BS.

TheJetsStream Per league source, #Jets did NOT offer trade to Seattle for WR TJHoushmandzadeh. #nfl #nyj

JennyVrentas Also, Jets did not put in a trade offer for WR TJ Houshmanzadeh, according to a person w/direct knowledge of the jets' interest level. #nyj

But what does Tim Colishaw have to say?

Where the hell did this "Jenny Vrentas" character come from and why must my offseason be filled with constant denials if everything from her and Manish

She took Manish Mehta's job NJ.

Report: Jets have no interest in Houshmandzadeh

Posted by Mike Florio on September 4, 2010 11:43 AM ET

Earlier today, Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer reported that four teams have shown interest in trading for Seahawks receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh: the Jets, the Cardinals, the Vikings, and the Chargers.

Two of those have been disputed. Tom Pelissero of 1500espn.com says the Vikes aren't interested, and now Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News says that the Jets made no offer, either.

Based on Rosenthal's blurb from last night, we can't imagine anyone wanting to trade for the guy. Houshmandzadeh's $7 million salary is fully guaranteed by the Seahawks; if he's cut the Seahawks will get an offset based on his new salary, but they'll be on the hook for the balance.

If a trade is finagled, we suspect that the Seahawks would agree to pay a big chunk of the salary, and the new team to pay only a portion of it.

Since they're going to be paying up to $7 million anyway, why not agree to eat, say, $6 million of it if it means getting a draft pick, a bag of balls, a bowl or lukewarm soup, and/or a handful of tokens for the machines at Chuck E. Cheese's?

Archived