force revis to sit for 3 years

jgb

The only way the Jets can make Revis sit beyond this year is if they buy back the remaining years of his deal at $5M and $15M respectively, and he then refuses to play for either of those amounts. It's highly unlikely that he wouldn't play in 2012 for $15M - in the highly unlikely event that it even came to that.

It doesn't work this way...our team gets screwed...earns a poor reputation with other players in the league and we get zero value for drafting a stud player...as much as we would love to see the player suffer...this is what you wish would happen to one our division rivals. Best player out indefinitely and no value returns. Worse case scenario...Revis sits the year we trade for a first and a third before next year's draft. Be crazy for our management to take a stand like that. Too similar to Charlie O's destruction of the baseball Athletics back in the late 70s.

The only way the Jets can make Revis sit beyond this year is if they buy back the remaining years of his deal at $5M and $15M respectively, and he then refuses to play for either of those amounts. It's highly unlikely that he wouldn't play in 2012 for $15M - in the highly unlikely event that it even came to that.

Most likely event that happens right now IMO is Revis holds out this year, and the Jets do whatever they need to do to ensure they control his trading rights. I think they would want to avoid giving a team with a pick in the mid/late 20's to snag him as a RFA, so I would imagine they would have to give him his $5 mil next year and try to get a couple high round picks/players. Personally I think Revis is done as a Jet. Furthermore, this will not be the doom of the Jets as bitonti would have us all believe. Losing Revis will obviously hurt, but do not discount Rex's scheming and its direct impact on Revis's play. Do not also discount that playing across from Revis all season was Lowery and Shepperd. Why would a QB throw towards Revis when he can pick on that pile of doodoo all day? When we lost Jenkins last season, EVERYONE figured our D would go down the tank. What could possibly be more dehabilitating to a 3-4 D than losing the star Nose Tackle? We barely missed a beat. This preseason our starters have been lights out, and I expect that to continue come regular season without Revis. The only way losing Revis devastates the Jets is if Cro or Wilson gets hurt. To put it in perspective, losing an archaic Vinny Testaverde in 1999 was light years more detrimental to the team than losing Revis would be this year. Tannenbaum prepared for this possibility.

Most likely event that happens right now IMO is Revis holds out this year, and the Jets do whatever they need to do to ensure they control his trading rights. I think they would want to avoid giving a team with a pick in the mid/late 20's to snag him as a RFA, so I would imagine they would have to give him his $5 mil next year and try to get a couple high round picks/players. Personally I think Revis is done as a Jet. Furthermore, this will not be the doom of the Jets as bitonti would have us all believe. Losing Revis will obviously hurt, but do not discount Rex's scheming and its direct impact on Revis's play. Do not also discount that playing across from Revis all season was Lowery and Shepperd. Why would a QB throw towards Revis when he can pick on that pile of doodoo all day? When we lost Jenkins last season, EVERYONE figured our D would go down the tank. What could possibly be more dehabilitating to a 3-4 D than losing the star Nose Tackle? We barely missed a beat. This preseason our starters have been lights out, and I expect that to continue come regular season without Revis. The only way losing Revis devastates the Jets is if Cro or Wilson gets hurt. To put it in perspective, losing an archaic Vinny Testaverde in 1999 was light years more detrimental to the team than losing Revis would be this year. Tannenbaum prepared for this possibility.

Nice post...agree we have to control his rights and it may work out as you suggest...also found this article while looking at a couple of others comments...the post makes a good point hopefully, an example Revis considers instead of the BS pushed forward by his uncle Sean...who played sharply crashed after getting the big $$$ deal...although at this point...Sanchez has not even approached the level of play of Jim McMahon. :(

Rex Ryan has invoked the names of Todd Bell and Al Harris when talking about Revis. What's the connection? In 1984, Todd Bell was in his fourth season with the Bears, and made his first Pro Bowl. The starting strong safety had an AV of 15 that season, and was named 1st-team All-NFL by the Sporting News and honored as a second-team All-Pro by the Associated Press. Al Harris was the 9th pick in the '79 draft for Chicago, and sat on the bench for the first two years of his career. In '81 and '82, he was Chicago's starting right defensive end. Then, to make room for Richard Dent, Dan Hampton and Steve McMichael on the defensive line, the Bears moved Harris to RLB, where he could replace Gary Campbell. In '83 and '84, Harris started 27 games for the Bears. But in 1985, both Bell and Harris were unhappy with their contracts. Both were starters on a Bears defense that finished 1st in the league in total defense and rushing defense and second in passing defense. They never caved, and sat out the entire season. As you know, the 1985 Bears weren't worse for the wear, as Wilber Marshall and Dave Duerson replaced Harris and Bell, and that unit went on to win the Super Bowl and go down as one of the greatest defenses of all-time. Ryan's father, Buddy, was the Bears defensive coordinator that season, and Rex had no problem bringing up that memory when discussing the Revis situation: "They were replaced and missed out on a Super Bowl, a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity," Ryan said.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=7118

Slats - where do you get this from? I thought if he sat out this year then 2010 wouldn't count against the contract or years of service and 2011 would replace this year on his contract.

I can't imagine the NFL would allow players to sit a season and count it against their contract - players would do this all the time.

If he doesn't play this year he plays for 1m next year. His contract doesn't advance if he doesn't play

Yes it does.

where do you get that info from? it doesn't sound right. if that was the case why wouldn't all players in the last year of their contract just sit out and become free agents the next year?

Revis only has 3 years of service in the NFL and there is some date at which he needs to report or this year doesn't count even if he does show up.

where do you get that info from? it doesn't sound right. if that was the case why wouldn't all players in the last year of their contract just sit out and become free agents the next year?

Revis only has 3 years of service in the NFL and there is some date at which he needs to report or this year doesn't count even if he does show up.

I've posted many, many links. If you don't believe this, try finding some links that support your idea of what sounds right.

I'd advise you not to look too long, though, because you won't find any. Not any credible ones, anyway.

Players don't just sit out their last years usually because those are their biggest money years. Usually the opposite is true, and teams are either demanding pay cuts or cutting those guys.

Revis isn't concerned with this year counting because under the current rules he'll be a RFA whether he has three (which he has), four, or five years of service. That extra year nets him nothing. He wants a long term deal, anyway.

I've posted many, many links. If you don't believe this, try finding some links that support your idea of what sounds right.

I'd advise you not to look too long, though, because you won't find any. Not any credible ones, anyway.

Players don't just sit out their last years usually because those are their biggest money years. Usually the opposite is true, and teams are either demanding pay cuts or cutting those guys.

Revis isn't concerned with this year counting because under the current rules he'll be a RFA whether he has three (which he has), four, or five years of service. That extra year nets him nothing. He wants a long term deal, anyway.

yeah but when and if a new cba is signed and the rules go back to 4 years he's gonna care then. or when the jest buy back his contract and trade him to some sh*thole he's gonna care then too. the salaray cap will be back and it's unlikely any team will be paying 16+ mil/year for a cb. especially when they have to give up a few high picks to get him besides the money. i'm sorry but revis is great but no cb is worht that much money against your cap. only a qb.

If he doesn't play this year he plays for 1m next year. His contract doesn't advance if he doesn't play

See, this is what I always used to think. Then a bunch of people (and articles) stated the opposite.

It made no sense to me that a player could just sit out the down years and play the money years only of a contract.

The contract Revis signed, with the buyback years, was 6 years $36M, not 5 years $35M and if Revis feels like it, he can play that 6th year for $1M more.

So does he make $1M in year 4 of his contract or just year 2010? Because they're only one and the same if he plays.

I think you're right. Next year Revis would have to play for $1M again. I'll see what I can find.

This isn't pulled directly from the CBA, but it's a pretty credible source (nfl.com):

http://nfllabor.com/category/ask-nfllabor-com/

Ask NFLlabor.com – Contract implications of full-season holdout

Following is the answer to a recent question in the NFLlabor.com mailbag. To submit a question, send an email to NFLlabor@nfl.com.

What happens if a player under contract decides to sit out for the whole season? Does the team have the right to demand that player fulfill his contract in the following year at the agreed to salary listed in the contract for the year he skipped?

Under the scenario you have posed, where a player under contract sits out for the full season, he would have to play the next season under the contract for the year he missed. For example, if a player sits out for the entire 2010 season and returns to his team, he would be subject to the 2010 contract terms for the 2011 season.

This isn't pulled directly from the CBA, but it's a pretty credible source (nfl.com):

http://nfllabor.com/category/ask-nfllabor-com/

Ask NFLlabor.com – Contract implications of full-season holdout

Following is the answer to a recent question in the NFLlabor.com mailbag. To submit a question, send an email to NFLlabor@nfl.com.

What happens if a player under contract decides to sit out for the whole season? Does the team have the right to demand that player fulfill his contract in the following year at the agreed to salary listed in the contract for the year he skipped?

Under the scenario you have posed, where a player under contract sits out for the full season, he would have to play the next season under the contract for the year he missed. For example, if a player sits out for the entire 2010 season and returns to his team, he would be subject to the 2010 contract terms for the 2011 season.

looks like slats was completely wrong

looks like slats was completely wrong

Go figure.

Love you guys, too.

This is the opposite of a lot of things I've read over the last month. I'd really like to hear Jason's take, because he's much more of an expert on this stuff than I am. On his site, he spoke specifically about the contract continuing to run during the holdout.

I care less now because Revis is signed, but I'm still interested to know for the future.

Love you guys, too.

This is the opposite of a lot of things I've read over the last month. I'd really like to hear Jason's take, because he's much more of an expert on this stuff than I am. On his site, he spoke specifically about the contract continuing to run during the holdout.

I care less now because Revis is signed, but I'm still interested to know for the future.

I will miss this time we've spent together. But alas, to the victor goes the spoils. I must cut your head off now.

I think you're right. Next year Revis would have to play for $1M again. I'll see what I can find.

I thought the last two option years paid significantly more, next year being the first of the two.

This year is the lowball year, which was a bad idea for obvious reasons.

Part of his signing bonus should have been used to fluff his wallet this year, but instead the ungrateful noob got it all up front.

Edit: Nevermind, you're talking about next year if he doesn't play this year, etc.

Archived