Ex-Bear Gilbert joins Jets' practice squad

JetsFan34

Does anyone know anything about this guy?

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/09/ex-bear-gilbert-joins-jets-practice-squad.html

By Brad Biggs

Jarron Gilbert has found a new home.

The Bears' top pick in 2009 has been signed to the practice squad of the New York Jets, according to his agent Frank Bauer.

Gilbert was claimed by the Jets on waivers Sunday, but the team had a higher prioritized claim on Dallas Cowboys defensive end Marcus Dixon. The Jets were awarded Dixon and Gilbert became a free agent.

Jets coach Rex Ryan called Gilbert late Sunday to personally recruit him to the Jets and the sell job worked.

"He liked Rex Ryan because Rex had come out to personally work him out before the draft," Bauer said. "He said, 'Come sign on my practice squad.' I thought I was going to bring Jarron out west, but he made the decision to go there and it's a good one."

The Jets run a 3-4 scheme that might fit Gilbert better. The Bears originally asked him to be an under tackle in their 4-3 defense. Then, they asked him to slim down to play left end. He dropped to 270 pounds this year on his 6-6 frame and it didn't work out.

"That's what Rex and I talked about," Bauer said. "The scheme might be better for him. Let's see what happens for the kid."

Per Bauer, the Jets were considering Gilbert with the first pick of the third round last year. Instead, they took Iowa running back Shonn Greene, which turned out to be a smart move. Gilbert went three picks later to the Bears.

The Bears did not try to bring Gilbert back to their practice squad, choosing to cut bait. The team owes him $146,500 in a future base guarantee. Baltimore, Seattle and the New York Giants also expressed interest in Gilbert.

Per Bauer, the Jets were considering Gilbert with the first pick of the third round last year. Instead, they took Iowa running back Shonn Greene, which turned out to be a smart move. Gilbert went three picks later to the Bears.

I know that's coming from an agent, but WOW the jets could have drafted this guy and ducasse in the first round in back to back years...... but got greene and wilson......

and gilbert and ducasse !!! B)

Does anyone know anything about this guy?

Boom or bust kid pre-draft, ridiculously athletic but always seemed to get washed out against better competition. He couldn't really get on the field last season, though the consensus feeling was that he was out of position and probably better suited for a 3-4. At this point it's looking like his legacy isn't going any further than the pool video.

Boom or bust kid pre-draft, ridiculously athletic but always seemed to get washed out against better competition. He couldn't really get on the field last season, though the consensus feeling was that he was out of position and probably better suited for a 3-4. At this point it's looking like his legacy isn't going any further than the pool video.

Perfect guy to have on the PS though. No risk with good upside.

Perfect guy to have on the PS though. No risk with good upside.

Kinda yeah, I mean I guess there's hope because Chicago has been putrid at developing talent over the past few years and Rex is nothing short of awesome in that regard. But he's still pretty bad. Iglesias to me was the bigger shock, really thought that kid was a lock to be at least average.

From the free archives of the Huddle Report...maybe Rex can turn him around...wouldn't expect much this year...

Jarron Gilbert DT San Jose St

STRENGTHS

Jarron has excellent size, speed and explosive off-the-line measurables to be one of the best DT's or DE's in this draft. He has the measurables that a top ten pick would love to have. Jarron has been playing DT for his college team and some NFL teams feel that with his athletic talent he could become a DE. Jarron knows how to get into the backfield. There's just no apparent reason that I can see on film why this kid hasn't dominated and is not being talked about as a top ten pick in this draft. Jarron has the long arms and ideal size for these positions; you would think that he should be the talk of this draft.

NEEDS TO IMPROVE

Jarron is not being talked about in the draft as a top ten pick because he is just not playing up to his athletic potential. He is not double teamed (from what I see on film), but he's blocked and stopped by offensive linemen that will never see an NFL field except on the TV. There is obvious maturity issues on the field; therefore, I suspect there might be maturity issues off the field as well.

TALENT BOARD ROUND 7/FA

I'm not going to waste much time or energy with a profile on a kid that has the physical talents this kid has and doesn't give the effort to become the player his talents suggests he can be. The only thing I see in this kid's future is for him to bulk up and become a DT for the team that will draft him on his potential. I see great potential to fail, but others see great potential to mold the young man into a great player so they can get credit. If Jarron does become successful, it will be because he decides to light a fire under his own a$$. No coach is going to make a difference with this kid. Maybe -- just maybe -- something will happen in this kid's personal life to make him mature; unfortunately, I do not draft on maybe's. I will take a calculated risk, but I don't draft maybe's!

http://thehuddlereport.com/Free/archive/2009DRAFT/PlayerProfiles/Jarron.Gilbert.htm

Archived