Jets in Bidding War for Defensive Player

Jbro22

Why does a bidding war imply a money issue? A bidding war would imply teams were interested which would generally mean it isn't a guy on the street the first week of September. We're pretty sure now that it's Jarvis Green, but they could be bidding vs. other teams for trade compensation. It happens all the time, but much less often in football than other sports. The Redskins have been known to be shopping Haynesworth since well before the draft. Nobody wanted to pony up the high picks then and once they ate the bonus the 'skins wanted MORE compensation. With all his continued antics there has been talk of moving him again. These was an earlier post in this thread that the Titans were interested.

Why? Because it's the natural use of the term. People are convoluting it to fit into their Fantasy Football mentality regarding the NFL.

Haynesworth doesn't make any sense on this team. He's a tremendous talent who is a bona fide thugturd, locker room cancer, free agent bust, and can't play the 3-4 NT or DE. He wants to go back to playing 4-3 DT which the Jets use sparingly.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why? Because it's the natural use of the term. People are convoluting it to fit into their Fantasy Football mentality regarding the NFL.

Haynesworth doesn't make any sense on this team. He's a tremendous talent who is a bona fide thugturd, locker room cancer, free agent bust, and can't play the 3-4 NT or DE. He wants to go back to playing 4-3 DT which the Jets use sparingly.

Whether Haynesworth makes sense or not isn't the point. What does money or fantasy football have to do with the term "bidding war"? It has to do with bidding. It could be money, draft picks, players. It's compensation, be it trade or contract. The exact phrase is used constantly. Remember when the Yanks, Rangers and God knows who else was in the running for Cliff Lee? Bidding war. Johan Santana trade? Bidding war.

Whether Haynesworth makes sense or not isn't the point. What does money or fantasy football have to do with the term "bidding war"? It has to do with bidding. It could be money, draft picks, players. It's compensation, be it trade or contract. The exact phrase is used constantly. Remember when the Yanks, Rangers and God knows who else was in the running for Cliff Lee? Bidding war. Johan Santana trade? Bidding war.

Why? Because you're using the term in a vacuum and I'm using it in context of the state of the Jets and the NFL. It is simply not plausible that the Jets would get into a "bidding war" over draft picks and try to trade for Haynesworth. And it is ONLY Haynesworth who people are mentioning as a trade. Everyone else is talking about FA signing. That's why I bring up fantasy football. The "bidding war" interpretation as to a trade is player specific (i.e., Haynesworth only).

I do too. On the flip side, that would be like picking up Vernon Gholston and thinking he could do something in the future. Gilbert was pretty bad, if out of position. Brown was at least injured and a bit of a project/situational guy.

Yea, Brown's upside is situational at best. More than likely he does nothing.

OTOH, Gilbert is pretty talented. That seems to have been forgotten because the world wants to make up for overrating the crap out of him in his draft year. 10 more pounds on him and getting him used to the idea of being a run stopper will/can make a world of change for him. I like him as much as any of the Pito/Kroul bunch.

Why? Because you're using the term in a vacuum and I'm using it in context of the state of the Jets and the NFL. It is simply not plausible that the Jets would get into a "bidding war" over draft picks and try to trade for Haynesworth. And it is ONLY Haynesworth who people are mentioning as a trade. Everyone else is talking about FA signing. That's why I bring up fantasy football. The "bidding war" interpretation as to a trade is player specific (i.e., Haynesworth only).

You're using it in context? By what context would attempting to sign Jarvis Green as a FA constitute a bidding war? Whatever deal this JAG gets will, at most, be the monetary equivalent of a bidding war between an early 6th round or late 5th round pick.

It's only Haynesworth people are talking about because he is the only one it makes sense to fight about. I assumed incacerated bob was a jackass, so I thought he might even be talking about attempts to "woo" guys to our practice squad over another.

You're using it in context? By what context would attempting to sign Jarvis Green as a FA constitute a bidding war? Whatever deal this JAG gets will, at most, be the monetary equivalent of a bidding war between an early 6th round or late 5th round pick.

It's only Haynesworth people are talking about because he is the only one it makes sense to fight about. I assumed incacerated bob was a jackass, so I thought he might even be talking about attempts to "woo" guys to our practice squad over another.

Who gives a sh*t?

You're just wasting time arguing for the sake of arguing.

I really like the Gilbert and Brown pick ups...they might actually do something in the future.

Chauncey Washington is the best and most promising name on the PS.

He deserves to be here and should really be on the 53 man roster and most likely will be in the near future.

Archived