Changing the old school negative Jets fan mentality..

CobraVerde

Set expectations low, enjoy the ride. That way you never get too high or too low.

I expect an 8-8 season, if we go below that...no worries, 8-8 doesnt get you anywhere to begin with. If we go above that win total...awesome!!! Its a nice unexpected surprise.

I'm positive about things that give me reason to be positive. For example, I'm not worried about how sh*tty the Gators looked on Saturday because I have good reason to believe they can turn it around.

The Jets have never really given me that feeling...ever.

What good is always having happiness June through August each year?

Wouldn't you prefer that happiness to occur September through February?

In GOB's diplomatic manner, he is 100% correct.

Obviously I would prefer that, but I don't have any control do I? What I DO have control over is whether I'll have a positive attitude or negative attitude. As it was said earlier in the thread by another poster, I'd rather BELIEVE the Jets are going to win a Super Bowl and be proven wrong than believe we're going to have another SOJ season and be proven right.

Obviously I would prefer that, but I don't have any control do I? What I DO have control over is whether I'll have a positive attitude or negative attitude. As it was said earlier in the thread by another poster, I'd rather BELIEVE the Jets are going to win a Super Bowl and be proven wrong than believe we're going to have another SOJ season and be proven right.

That's fine, but expectations come down to fantasy versus reality.

Fantasy: The Jets are a dominate football team, will finish 14-2, secure home field advantage and win the Super Bowl.

Reality: The Jets are a good football team that will contend for the AFCE title with a record of 11-5 or 10-6.

That's fine, but expectations come down to fantasy versus reality.

Fantasy: The Jets are a dominate football team, will finish 14-2, secure home field advantage and win the Super Bowl.

Reality: The Jets are a good football team that will contend for the AFCE title with a record of 11-5 or 10-6.

A "fantasy" and "expectations" are different. My fantasy is a perfect 19-0 season, allowing no points all year. My expectations? Division title and we'll see from there.

And just because my expectations are high doesn't affect my attitude. If a Super Bowl title doesn't happen this year, our window won't be closed.

... i'm optimistic the sanchez turns the corner this year ...

... i'm optimistic that the jets have a glorious regular season ...

... i'm optimistic that the jets have another magical post-season run ...

... i'm optimistic they the jets have what it takes to turn the afc championship 2nd half corner and find their way to the dance ...

... i'm optimistic the jets ground and pound the f*ck out of their nfc opponent and have a resounding superbowl victory for the ages ...

l_j_r

... then again, i'm also optimistic that the wife will invite her best friends into a massive, sweater-meat filled, raucous, bondage inspired orgifest topped off by katie holmes breaking down our door frothing at the mouth with such a look of passion filled lust that my engorged throbbing ... wait a sec ... what were we talking about? ...

I fight the SOJ demons from time to time

during the run last year I came to a simple conclusion that I wasn't going to wait until the jets won a superbowl to believe, because then I would miss out on the best part, the ride

and if anyone ever gives me crap about believing in my team they can kiss my red hairy a$$ !

I stand with Larz on this 100%!!!!!!!!! This is the most talented team we've had in forever and we're going to while and complain that people are noticing?

I have a friend who is from NO and when the Saints started to win games last year he felt that if he watched the games he would jinx them (ya know... it's all about him lol) well he didn't watch one friggin game last season. The one season that they won it all he didn't even enjoy it. I root for the Jets. I watch the games because I like to watch football. I watched every game during the Kotite era and now I will watch every game with the exciting the team we have today.

This SOJ crap is the worst! Miserable people make for miserable parties.

... i'm optimistic the sanchez turns the corner this year ...

... i'm optimistic that the jets have a glorious regular season ...

... i'm optimistic that the jets have another magical post-season run ...

... i'm optimistic they the jets have what it takes to turn the afc championship 2nd half corner and find their way to the dance ...

... i'm optimistic the jets ground and pound the f*ck out of their nfc opponent and have a resounding superbowl victory for the ages ...

l_j_r

... then again, i'm also optimistic that the wife will invite her best friends into a massive, sweater-meat filled, raucous, bondage inspired orgifest topped off by katie holmes breaking down our door frothing at the mouth with such a look of passion filled lust that my engorged throbbing ... wait a sec ... what were we talking about? ...

There is a much greater chance of the latter scenario happening than the first.

I'd rather BELIEVE the Jets are going to win a Super Bowl and be proven wrong than believe we're going to have another SOJ season and be proven right.

To each their own. I'd rather be a pleasantly surprised pessimist than a disappointed optimist.

As has been discussed in this thread and elsewhere, it all hinges on Sanchez. All of it. I'll be watching, rooting, and hoping for the best - but I'm definitely not expecting it.

Bob's thread got me thinking. Many of you may be a little older and claim to be a little wiser but personally I just think youre chicken. You fear disappointment so you would rather not be excited for this team. Instead you condemn all positivity so that if and when disappointment does occur you feel better about yourself cause you feel that "you were right" and you "knew it all along."

First off, Get over yourself. I dont care if you've been a fan since Namath or you were a fan during the dark 80s & 90s. That doesnt give you the right to cast a cloud over the entire team and fan base.

Second, Go F yourself and take that $h*t somewhere else. JetNation is a place for positive outlook and constructive turn around and criticism. If you're gonna bitch have some credible reasoning backed up by evidence. This is a team game, no one man is truly responsible for a loss i dont care what you say. If a star player goes down the surrounding cast can and will step up to carry the load. Thats how it truly is. If you want to cry and moan about this team take it to the Gang Green Authority or that other sh**ty forum that is filled with haters and non believers.

Last, YOU CAN CHANGE. My father was a pessimistic Jets fan now converted to a positive believer. The more you harbor negativity and cast it the more negativity is created. It simple math. E=MC2. Even if this team sucks a positive outlook will always triumph. Youll wake up in the morning less stressed and will prolly live longer. Im a firm believer that a large mass of people thinking and hoping for the best does more good for a team that a mass condemning them.

All im saying really is "if you build it they will come" Create a positive mentality. Cast away your fears. FEAR IS THE DARKSIDE. FEAR LEADS TO ANGER ANGER LEADS TO HATE HATE LEADS TO SUFFERING.

Not necessarily the best approach if your are trying to influence people. Someone may tell you to take your own advice.......

Archived