Ray Lewis says Jets need to backup SB talk

Kentucky Jet

Baltimore Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis says Jets need to back up Super Bowl talk

Published: Thursday, September 09, 2010, 11:57 AM Updated: Thursday, September 09, 2010, 12:39 PM

Ray Lewis played under Rex Ryan for a lot of years in Baltimore and he has no real problems with his old coach hyping up the Jets' Super Bowl-or-bust mantra. But, Lewis said, the Jets better back it up.

"The only danger there can be is writing a check that you can't cash,'' Lewis said on a conference call with New York reporters.

Asked if he believes the Jets will be able to cash the check that Ryan's talk is writing, Lewis said, "That's for the Jets to deal with that pressure for the rest of the year.''

Lewis only ratcheted up his comments in Baltimore, telling local reporters: "We're talking about the Jets like we're talking about the Saints. Those are the only people that can be dethroned: Drew Brees and the Saints. Not Mark Sanchez and the Jets." He added, "if you all are the Miami Heat, we've gotta be the Lakers, because we're looking for multiple rings."

Lewis spoke glowingly of the Jets' running game, and backs Shonn Greene and LaDainian Tomlinson, calling Tomlinson "probably one of the top three or four backs'' in the NFL currently, and "the big key to their offense.''

"It wasn't his fault San Diego's offensive line didn't produce, or they went without a fullback (in 2009),'' Lewis said.

Conversely, Lewis didn't show the same kind of reverence for quarterback Mark Sanchez, and the Jets' passing game.

"All we have to do is look on the film,'' Lewis said of Sanchez. "He struggles a lot when he has to throw a lot.''

Asked about the injuries -- including one to safety Ed Reed -- that have thinned out the Ravens' secondary, Lewis said the Ravens will have to rely on their front seven to carry the load for the defense. And that may mean more pressure on Sanchez.

Lewis also said he was happy the Jets got holdout cornerback Darrelle Revis signed in time to play in Monday night's season opener against the Ravens.

"I"m just glad he is signed, so there is no excuse,'' he said.

As for the Ravens' own aspirations for the 2010 season, Lewis didn't mention the words "Super Bowl,'' but he did say that he wants to do better than just be a playoff team.

"We have a team that's been in the playoffs the last two years,'' he said. "We have to take that next step.''

S Brodney Pool (ankle) was not practicing again. His status for Monday night is in question. Eric Smith would start in his place.

With CB Darrelle Revis back, first-round pick Kyle Wilson could return punts this week. He was working back there with S Jim Leonhard during practice.

RB Danny Woodhead and TE Jeff Cumberland were working with the receivers during practice. Both can play that position and, with only three other receivers on the 53-man roster, using them there makes sense.

Is "cake jacking off" a form of masturbation? Or is the art of jacking off on cakes his thing? Or does he use cake as lubrication when he jacks off on skulls?

Option C.

After he stabs his enemies he does his little seizure dance as he's climaxing on the skulls of his enemies. But he's not all raw and mean, he needs some lube.

After reading some of Ray Lewis's comments (here and elsewhere), I've come to a few conclusions:

1) What he says about Sanchez reeks of mind games. Bart Scott once said that his goal with trash talking was to get the other guy so focused and angry on him that it threw him off his game. To me, this is what Ray Lewis is doing with Sanchez. Luckily for us, there is nothing that Lewis has said that Bart Scott has not already said in practice. Sanchez may not succeed Monday, but it won't be because of Lewis's words.

2) When you hear Ray Lewis take issue with Ryan's comments about play calling from Hard Knocks (the tap out comment), it reeks of being a cry baby. For somebody who dishes it out, he sure doesn't seem able to take it (and ftr, it wasn't even a bad comment, just pointing out how hard calling the plays can be).

3) During last year's preseason game, Ray Lewis refused to shake Rex Ryan's hand at the end of the game. At the time, I couldn't help but think that it was bitterness for choosing Scott over Lewis when free agency started, and that bitterness still seems to be there. Kind of pathetic.

After reading some of Ray Lewis's comments (here and elsewhere), I've come to a few conclusions:

1) What he says about Sanchez reeks of mind games. Bart Scott once said that his goal with trash talking was to get the other guy so focused and angry on him that it threw him off his game. To me, this is what Ray Lewis is doing with Sanchez. Luckily for us, there is nothing that Lewis has said that Bart Scott has not already said in practice. Sanchez may not succeed Monday, but it won't be because of Lewis's words.

2) When you hear Ray Lewis take issue with Ryan's comments about play calling from Hard Knocks (the tap out comment), it reeks of being a cry baby. For somebody who dishes it out, he sure doesn't seem able to take it (and ftr, it wasn't even a bad comment, just pointing out how hard calling the plays can be).

3) During last year's preseason game, Ray Lewis refused to shake Rex Ryan's hand at the end of the game. At the time, I couldn't help but think that it was bitterness for choosing Scott over Lewis when free agency started, and that bitterness still seems to be there. Kind of pathetic.

Ray Lewis is a huge phony.

I hate that annoying **** and his stupid dance.

Archived