New York Jets vs. Baltimore Ravens

Maxman

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

finally! our offense better be ready to get physical physical

Our offense scares me, to be completely honest. Especially against a good D and without Santonio... Our defense, however, has me stoked. This may be an ugly game to watch for most fans...

My prediction is a 9-7 victory or something along those lines.

Put up or shut up time for the NY Jets

by Tyson Rauch on September 13, 2010

Well Jets fans the wait is finally over. All of the moves have been made and words have been spoken, now it is time for Gang Green to take the field. On Monday night the Jets take on the Baltimore Ravens at the new Meadowlands stadium (7pm EST). This will be Gang Green’s first regular season game in the new stadium, and what better way to do it than under the bright lights of Monday Night Football. Lets take a look at some of the keys to the game.

Offense

1) Establish the running game- It is no secret that the Jets want to run the ball, but the Ravens defense is one of the best in the NFL. Gang Green must find a way to control the line of scrimmage and open up holes for their backs. I would not be surprised to see the Jets rely heavily on fullbacks and tight ends to help support new left guard Matt Slauson.

2) Keep Ravens honest with the passing game- The Ravens defense is all about putting pressure on the quarterback and the Jets must find a way to keep them off balance. Whether it is quick slants or checkdowns to the running backs, Gang Green must find a way to slow down the pass rush. In addition the Jets need to complete some big plays down the field to try and prevent the Ravens from stacking the box. (Note: The Ravens secondary has been decimated by injuries including Ed Reed missing the game)

3) Get Sanchez comfortable early- In order for the Jets to accomplish #2 offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer must get quarterback Mark Sanchez comfortable early on in the game. Sanchez is an emotional player and the last thing Gang Green can afford is to have the young gunslinger rattled early.

4) Limit turnovers- Another no-brainer in the NFL is to limit turnovers, but for whatever reason this preseason the Jets were fumbling the ball all over the place. Gang Green cannot afford to turn the ball over if they want any chance to win this game.

Defense

1) Contain Rice- The Jets must find a way to contain running back Ray Rice, who has become a dynamic playmaker for the Ravens. Rice is not only an explosive runner, but also a receiving threat out of the backfield. If the Jets are unable to slow down the Baltimore running attack, the passing game becomes that much more of a threat.

2) Get to Flacco- Quarterback Joe Flacco is entering his third season and Baltimore has done an excellent job surrounding him with weapons. The Jets must find a way to put pressure on Flacco and force him into bad decisions and poor throws.

3) Secondary help- The Jets secondary will have their hands full covering Anquan Boldin, Derrick Mason, and TJ Houshmanzadeh. Communication will be the key for the Jets as they could be starting up to 3 new players in the secondary (Cromartie, Wilson, Pool).

Prediction

This is put up or shut up time for the New York Jets. Gang Green has talked the talk, now they must walk the walk against one of the best teams in the AFC. The stadium is going to be electric and the intensity will be at an all-time high. I expect this game to be very physical with both teams trying to rattle the opposing quarterback. Look for the Jets to start out fast to feed off of the energy of the crowd.

My instinct tells me the Ravens are going to win this game, but my Jets brain believes in Rex Ryan and his players. Jets 16-13

Jets must Knock ’em dead

September 13, 2010

Posted: 2:54 AM, September 13, 2010

Steve Serby

They call themselves the New York Jets Football Club. From the time they trudged off Peyton Manning’s field eight months ago all the way up until tonight, it has been all too easy to confuse the Jets with a three-ring circus or reality show — Keeping Up With The Rexes — or soap opera. Or all of the above.

As the clock ticks towards their home opener tonight against the Ravens inside their new stadium, it is now time for them to be the New York Jets Football Club.

It is now time for the Jets to have Rex Ryan’s back and show us they are a team destined for the Super Bowl instead of just telling us over and over and over again they are.

sanchez--300x300.jpg

Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez

It is now time for the Jets to handle life as the most hunted team never to defend a Super Bowl championship.

It is time for the Jets to put their money where their mouths have been.

“Hard Knocks” is no longer an HBO special.

Hard Knocks is 60 minutes of physical, violent hell for the Ravens tonight, and for everyone else the rest of the way.

It is what Ryan keeps calling Play Like A Jet.

Hard Knocks is hitting the Ravens and hitting them again until their iron will is broken.

It means Kris Jenkins defeating the double team and defiantly knocking Ray Rice to the ground.

It means Shonn Greene bowling over Ray Lewis when Tony Richardson or Brandon Moore are not. It means Greene getting that yard on fourth-and-1 that Thomas Jones got in the playoffs against the Chargers.

It means Jason Taylor sacking Joe Flacco, preferably in the fourth quarter and beginning a belated love affair with the same fans he always despised and the same fans that despised him.

It means John “The Terminator” Connor blowing up anybody in his path on kickoff returns and turning Ryan into a gesticulating, howling, whirling dervish and making the insatiable Mike Westhoff try to hide a smile.

It means Darrelle Revis shaking off the holdout rust on the fly and knocking the ball away from Anquan Boldin.

It means Mark Sanchez dusting himself off after Terrell Suggs sacks him and finding Braylon Edwards deep down the sideline against single coverage for a touchdown.

It means Bart Scott talking trash from start to finish.

It means Sanchez commanding his huddle and emerging as the bold leader that this offense needs.

It means David Harris running sideline to sideline to contain Rice and showing why he is the AFC version of Patrick Willis.

It means a frisky, prideful LaDainian Tomlinson making a mockery of all the hard knocks from naysayers who believe he is less than the longest yard away from washed up.

It means Nick Mangold neutralizing Haloti Ngata, the Ravens’ version of Jenkins.

It means keeping Fireman Ed in a frenzy and serving notice that New Meadowlands Stadium will be a veritable House of Horrors for the visiting team.

It means Dustin Keller becoming the same kind of short and intermediate weapon for Sanchez that Dallas Clark is for Manning.

It means Antonio Cromartie eating a cheeseburger after the game and forming a Batman and Robin tandem with Revis.

It means Brad Smith becoming a dynamic kickoff returner when he isn’t threatening defenses in the Wildcat and blanketing punt returners.

It means D’Brickashaw Ferguson giving Sanchez enough time to eat a hot dog in the pocket.

It means Jim Leonhard getting home on a safety blitz and being wherever the football happens to be.

It means Brian Schottenheimer picking the exact right moment to take the handcuffs off Sanchez.

It means Jerricho Cotchery running precision routes as a security blanket for Sanchez.

It means Vernon Gholston menacing Flacco and shedding the bust label once and for all.

It means Danny Woodhead resembling a poor man’s Wes Welker until Santonio Holmes and/or Laveranues Coles ride in on their white horses.

It means Nick Folk kicking straight and true and justifying letting go Jay Feely.

It means Damien Woody spearheading the brutalizing Ground & Pound.

It means rookie nickelback/punt returner Kyle Wilson playing mature beyond his years.

It means the game not being too big for Matt Slauson.

It means Gang Green reminding everyone what the No. 1 defense in the league looks like.

This is the New York Jets Football Club we have been promised. One that delivers Hard Knocks instead of appearing on it.

and please, PLEASE Mark Sanchez do NOT throw an interception on your first pass again

It'll be hard for that to happen if the first 3 plays from scrimmage involve Shonn Greene taking what is called a "handoff" from Mark Sanchez and running in a straight line as far as he can go. Hopefully Brian Schottenheimer remembers that this option exists.

Mark Sanchez eager to embrace leadership role, accomplish Super Bowl-or-bust goal with New York Jets

He woke up on Jan. 25 with a bizarre mix of emotions, a feeling so unfamiliar that he felt lost for a few hours. He replayed the game in his mind - the errant passes, the untimely injuries and the missed opportunities - and wanted nothing more than to put his pads back on that morning.

Of course, Mark Sanchez knew that was impossible.

"You have that almost feeling - coulda, shoulda, woulda," Sanchez told the Daily News. "It was the first time in my entire life that I didn't have class, I didn't have practice, I didn't have a meeting. I didn't have anything for weeks. It was the weirdest feeling."

Nearly eight months after the Jets' 30-17 loss to the Colts in the AFC Championship Game, Sanchez gets his chance to lead a team with a Super Bowl-or-bust mantra in a prime-time season-opening showdown against the Baltimore Ravens at the new stadium in the Meadowlands Monday night. For all the Jets' offseason hype, Sanchez's maturation in his second season will determine if his team accomplishes the ultimate goal.

On the surface, Sanchez looks nothing like the nervous, unsure rookie from a year ago. His leadership skills are apparent now. Whether it was hosting his wide receivers for an informal week-long workout session in Southern California this summer or lightening the mood with coaches, there's little doubt that Sanchez is in charge. "I just feel like I have a little more control of things," Sanchez said. "I'm relaxed. I'm not going to sleep at night, wondering, 'Oh man, hopefully things work out tomorrow. Hopefully I'm going to do it right or I can't forget this.'"

Although the 23-year-old quarterback still has plenty on his mind each night, he insists "it's not a negative kind of worry.

"It's more of just anticipation," he said. "Let's have fun. ... So it's definitely changed."

A year ago, Sanchez was admittedly a nervous wreck and "throwing picks like it was my job."

The people closest to him knew something wasn't right.

"It was hard for him to relax last year," Nick Sanchez said of his youngest brother. "He was constantly analyzing if he was doing the right thing. It's like doing math problems. If you know your multiplication tables, you're not stressing out during your test. If you're counting on your fingers and trying to remember stuff, then it's hard to be comfortable and do what you need to do."

The Jets' 24-10 loss to the eventual Super Bowl champion Saints in Week 4 was a wakeup call. Sanchez had four turnovers, including three interceptions, in his first loss as a pro.

"That game just kind of smacked him in the face and reminded him how tough this game can be," Nick said. "He felt like he let the team down and that's something that he's not used to doing. So he was really hurt by that."

Sanchez overcame his erratic regular season (12 TDs and 20 INTs in 15 starts) with a solid three-week run that helped the Jets make it to within one game of the Super Bowl.

Most of Sanchez's mistakes in the regular season came in a handful of games. He threw 15 of his 20 interceptions in four games. "The five-interception days are behind him," Rex Ryan said. "Way behind him."

In many ways, Sanchez came along for the ride last year thanks to the league's best rushing attack. He threw for fewer than 200 yards in 10 of the Jets' 11 wins.

So, he logged plenty of hours in the film room sharpening his understanding of defenses, protections and checks this summer.

However, don't expect offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer to deviate too much from the ground-and-pound philosophy.

The Jets likely won't duplicate the 59:41 run-to-pass ratio from a year ago, but Sanchez, who had offseason arthroscopic knee surgery, won't be airing it out, either.

"He has to take the information he's learned and be able to make those split second decisions on game day," right guard Brandon Moore said. "Trust what he's learned. That's what we're hoping happens."

His teammates aren't overly concerned with his shaky preseason.

"What you see on film in the preseason isn't what you're necessarily going to get in the regular season," right tackle Damien Woody said.

Sanchez isn't worried, either. He insists he's ready to deliver for a fanbase starving for a championship.

"Right away, I knew how far we got last year," Sanchez said. "We had a chance and I didn't know what I was doing half the time. Just wait until I know a little bit more."

The wait is over Monday night.

Archived