Sanchez afraid to throw it, and Rex/Schotty afraid to let him

CTM

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was double clutching a lot..

Still.. The bottom line is that he's had it drilled into his head by Rex and Schotty not to make mistakes and that's what he's thinking about, not making mistakes..

**** man, even in the first quarter, last year he would've dove for that first down and gotten it, this year he slides, we kick a FG, lose momentum and the game by 1..

You don't win by playing not to lose..

I remember Phil simms saying that Parcells told him in 1986 right before the Vikings game that he didnt care if he threw 10 int's (Simms said that he told him that). after that Vikings game (simms led the comeback) the Giants won like 9 games in a row and won the super bowl.

Simms had said that it took a humongous amount of pressure off of him by Parcells telling him that.

Our coaching staff doesnt have a ******* clue on how to develop a young QB. might as well bring Herm back to tutor him.

I don't even think he should have been in the game. He looked completely glass-eyed when he did it and I think he was still recovering from Lewis steamrolling him.

He wasn't the only one, Greene looked like he just plain didn't give a sh*t and had absolutley no desire to play tonight. This is the best thing that could have happened to this team. Now they will get their early wake up call because you know everyone in the US is going to write something dreadful about our offense. Its time to make those tough changes right away, not in week 8. Thank you Ravens.

He wasn't the only one, Greene looked like he just plain didn't give a sh*t and had absolutley no desire to play tonight. This is the best thing that could have happened to this team. Now they will get their early wake up call because you know everyone in the US is going to write something dreadful about our offense. Its time to make those tough changes right away, not in week 8. Thank you Ravens.

Yeah the best thing that could happen is to put on one of the most pathetic displays of offense and discipline ever.

You serious? He got Keller the ball in enough space to get YAC while also positioning him to get to the sidelines. You couldn't have asked for a better throw there in a 4th & 10 situation. Any NFL receiver worth his salt stretches for the 1st there. Keller f***ed up.

A better throw could be asked for, one that was thrown 2 yards further downfield can be asked for and it would have been better. Keller was wide open, Sanchez had flexibility on ball placement.

Look at the pic, no one near Keller. Sanchez should have thrown it deeper.

butter.png?t=1284439448

I remember Phil simms saying that Parcells told him in 1986 right before the Vikings game that he didnt care if he threw 10 int's (Simms said that he told him that). after that Vikings game (simms led the comeback) the Giants won like 9 games in a row and won the super bowl.

Simms had said that it took a humongous amount of pressure off of him by Parcells telling him that.

Our coaching staff doesnt have a ******* clue on how to develop a young QB. might as well bring Herm back to tutor him.

Simms needs to get his story straight. I heard him say before every game Parcells would tell him "if you don't throw two INTs your not really trying". And then after every INT he would go into a stream of obscene verbal abuse.

(HC who wants to run 1950s offense) + (QB suddenly playing like Chad Pennington) + (whatever the hell Schottenheimer's doing) = tonight

I was going to come into this thread and post something witty and funny, but dont think I can top this.

Well done sir.

3 passes targeted at WR's all night. Going against backup CB's. Pathetic, disgraceful, embarrassing, disgusting.. let me get out the thesaurus.

Yep. And before the last drive, the model had 11 passing attempts.

B Schitt should be burned at the stake for the way he handles QB's.

What a bunch of pussies. Jump off the bandwagon now. Jump on again later. Styles make fights. The Jets are tailor made for the Ravens. They don't throw well, the are missing their best WR, their QB gets rattled and they make their living on the ground. Perfect team for a dominant front 7 with crappy DBs to play. The Jets barely lost despite Sanchez playing terribly, Greene fumbling himself into shell shock and enough bail out calls and long 3rd down conversions to last 2 seasons. I'm officially not worried. The season is a marathon, not a sprint.

Not great? I think he just converted another 3rd and 9.

well not for nothing but i think 5 of those converted 3rd downs were our defense getting a penalty to give them a fist down. also...i understand rex wants to be aggressive but you can't just put every cb on an island all the time just because you want to. not every cb is revis.

Why blame Keller and not Sanchez for throwing it behind the first down marker?

The Brunell signing is proof enough that the Jets are worried about Mark Sukdik.

BECAUSE HE WAS WIDE OPEN WITH PLENTY OF ROOM TO RUN, that's why. Sanchez was terrible BUT Keller was worse on that play. Regardless, I still do not think we even get a shot at a FG if he makes the 1st down. Instead of being lazy, all Keller had to do was lunge forward. Rex said "he thought he had it." GET IT BY 2 YARDS THEN BE SAFE.

Thats what I said to my friends when it happened. Said it looked like he was more worried about avoiding another hit that he forgot about getting it past the marker. Of course I removed some expletives, but that is what it seemed like to me as well.

As for Sanchez...Anyone else think he got worse this offseason? Judging by the preseason and 1st game, it seems obvious. He's become an inconsistent young QB with upside to a poor mans version of Chad Pennington. Speaks volumes to Schotty's ineptitude.

Nail on the head imo. repped.

A better throw could be asked for, one that was thrown 2 yards further downfield can be asked for and it would have been better. Keller was wide open, Sanchez had flexibility on ball placement.

butter.png?t=1284439448

Let's be honest the whole thing was a microcosm of the entire night in one play. Split it in thirds on fault and call it a day and then try to decipher in your head why you really need to root for this team anymore. Fight it. Splash it around. And than hang on for another disappointing season.

The bottom line is that he's had it drilled into his head by Rex and Schotty not to make mistakes and that's what he's thinking about, not making mistakes..

... exactly right ...

... sanchez is doing exactly what rex & schott have beat into his head all offseason ... safe, no mistake football ...

... it's a kid playing the way his coaches have asked him to ...

... fault here falls on rex & schott ( his team-mates did not help any with drops & penalties as well) ...

l_j_r

butter.png?t=1284439448

dude don't try and spin that play into being sanchez' fault. that is 100% on keller fr not knowing where the **** the first down marker was. he even said himself he thought he was past the first down marker and could just go out of bounds.

BECAUSE HE WAS WIDE OPEN WITH PLENTY OF ROOM TO RUN, that's why. Sanchez was terrible BUT Keller was worse on that play. Regardless, I still do not think we even get a shot at a FG if he makes the 1st down. Instead of being lazy, all Keller had to do was lunge forward. Rex said "he thought he had it." GET IT BY 2 YARDS THEN BE SAFE.

... put me in with those stating keller was still punch-drunk after ray lewis's hit ...

... hate the murdering b*$tard ... but even after 15 years he still is a beast ...

l_j_r

I'd gladly blame Sanchez again if it were his fault, but don't use the play as an excuse to throw more at Sanchez. Not the greatest throw, no, but any reciever/tight end/back HAS to know the first down marker in that situation. He didn't even extend the ball, or make an attempt. It's on Keller dude, sorry. Sanchez sucked in PLENTY of ways tonight, but lets give credit where credits due...Keller screwed up there.

Keller was in front of the marker the line judge moved because he thought he was going to get hit. He had the mark back like a yard from Keller. Keller thought that he had it the first.

butter.png?t=1284439448

Thats kind of silly

One thing I've also been wondering...

Is there any chance they didn't pass early because they were worried about a wet field?

The 4th qtr running makes sense, you're supposed to run then. I'm just wondering if weather influenced the plays earlier on.

I think the reality is that Rex is very protective of Sanchez, neither schitt of rex really trust sanchez, and Sanchez doesn't trust himself.. He's playing tight, thinking instead of reacting, yadda yadda yadda..

At the eend of the day, this is mostly Rex's fault. Too much pressure on the kid

I never thought I'd see the day on JN where ANYONE would say we'd do better with Chad, or that Chad was a better QB than our current guy. Our boys have some work to do. And yes, Dilfer won a Super Bowl, but he made a play every now and then, and I'm not convinced our secondary as a whole is as good as that secondary was (plus losing Jenks, if thats the case, will hurt the ever fading chances of an all-time great defense)

I said before the season Pennington would actually be the perfect QB for this Jets team. If he was QB, the Jets win that game last night. We'll trade him back to you for a 2nd round pick ;)

well not for nothing but i think 5 of those converted 3rd downs were our defense getting a penalty to give them a fist down. also...i understand rex wants to be aggressive but you can't just put every cb on an island all the time just because you want to. not every cb is revis.

Flacco was pretty good last night imo.. he was facing what will probably be the #1 pass defense and had two bad drops for what would've been TD's..

I can't blame Sanchez. I just can't.

We've seen Schotty do this with four QBs under two head coaches. Favre almost had to go complain to the media that he was being handcuffed by this clown before he allowed him to throw a pass downfield.

Sanchez is being ruined by this bum.

Agree 100%. All of that idiotic shifting and motion before each play just to run it into the middle of the line or throw a flat pass to a 40 year old FB? NEVER throwing on first down against maybe the best run defense in the NFL playing without Reed and one of the starting CBs?

I don't know if Sanchez will ever be a top flight NFL QB. But I guarantee it will not happen while Schottenheimer is here.

I said before the season Pennington would actually be the perfect QB for this Jets team. If he was QB, the Jets win that game last night. We'll trade him back to you for a 2nd round pick ;)

No. This is the same defense that Pennington looked helpless and threw 5 picks last time he faced them. We'd have lost by 20

Our WR corp sucks and Keller isnt very good either.

Edwards is god awful...and Cotchery is what he is.

Brandon Lloyd lit up the Jaguars for 117 yards. Now I understand the jags secondary isnt all that great, but Lloyd is a clear cut JAG. We have enough talent on this offense that it could really be flying. sh*t, the Redskins looked brand new with Shanny's kid as the new OC and Moss looked revived.

Edwards has made some very acrobatic catches for us. Its the easy ones he drops and he needs to fix that. But it doesnt matter if we don't bother throwing the ball his way.

How do we know? We don't use them enough to know if they are any good.

Just from watching(was behind the endzone last night)- Braylon really is horrible. He cant get open, he runs crappy routes and is just awkward out there.

Keller just seems brain dead sometimes. Also, he isn't elusive enough to be the type of player he wants to be either. He's short and a step slow. He's a tweener.

I love JCO, but he's limited obviously.

No. This is the same defense that Pennington looked helpless and threw 5 picks last time he faced them. We'd have lost by 20

I'm not so sure about that. A couple things: The Jets have much better WR's and TE's than the Dolphins had in 2008. They also have a very good O-Line, probably better than the Dolphins had in 08. Pennington was harassed in that game, whereas Sanchez had time to throw. And lastly, the Dolphins were behind most of that game, so Penny had to air it out. The game last night was close the whole way, so he could've managed the game with his dink and dunk style.

Say what you want about Penny, he moves the offense. He's not going to hang 40 on anyone, but he makes good decisions and with a great defense like the Jets have he'd be Dilfer 2.0 IMO

Just from watching(was behind the endzone last night)- Braylon really is horrible. He cant get open, he runs crappy routes and is just awkward out there.

Keller just seems brain dead sometimes. Also, he isn't elusive enough to be the type of player he wants to be either. He's short and a step slow. He's a tweener.

I love JCO, but he's limited obviously.

Not for nothing, but after the game the Ravens said a lot of their defensive gameplan revolved around taking Edwards out of the game since he is the only deep threat in the absence of Santonio.

So if a defense as good as the Ravens is keying on a guy, he ain't gonna get open very often.

It doesn't help when you have an offensive coordinator who is braindead and can't make adjustments to help that guy get open.

Archived