Sanchez afraid to throw it, and Rex/Schotty afraid to let him

CTM

I'm not so sure about that. A couple things: The Jets have much better WR's and TE's than the Dolphins had in 2008. They also have a very good O-Line, probably better than the Dolphins had in 08. Pennington was harassed in that game, whereas Sanchez had time to throw. And lastly, the Dolphins were behind most of that game, so Penny had to air it out. The game last night was close the whole way, so he could've managed the game with his dink and dunk style.

Say what you want about Penny, he moves the offense. He's not going to hang 40 on anyone, but he makes good decisions and with a great defense like the Jets have he'd be Dilfer 2.0 IMO

If Pennington were our QB last night the Ravens defense would have scored three TDs.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Pennington were our QB last night the Ravens defense would have scored three TDs.

I agree, the Sanchez hate is so rediculous. It wouldnt matter who our QB was the same plays would have been called. If you guys honestly believe that Sanchez was checking down every play on his own, your crazy. That was Schotty's dumb a$$ game plan, he's clueless and he makes our QB look clueless.

I'm not so sure about that. A couple things: The Jets have much better WR's and TE's than the Dolphins had in 2008. They also have a very good O-Line, probably better than the Dolphins had in 08. Pennington was harassed in that game, whereas Sanchez had time to throw. And lastly, the Dolphins were behind most of that game, so Penny had to air it out. The game last night was close the whole way, so he could've managed the game with his dink and dunk style.

Say what you want about Penny, he moves the offense. He's not going to hang 40 on anyone, but he makes good decisions and with a great defense like the Jets have he'd be Dilfer 2.0 IMO

Hmm.. I've seen pennington be a net negative against defenses like that for almost a decade. He sucks and is the last thing we need here this season, we actually face some good defenses. Maybe next time we're playing the AFC and NFC west again

It was also right in front of Mark Sanchez and he threw the ball short of the first down marker.

And no one was withing 5 to 10 yards of Keller. He had an easy 1st down and he said in the postgame that he didn't put out his arm because he though he was well past the sticks.

I think he was still woosy like someone mentioned.

I don't think so. That would require your OC to actually call passes to WR's instead of backs.

Honestly though, I don't think all the blame can be put on Sanchez. He seems to be getting mixed signals. On one hand, Rex seems to be telling him he's the greatest QB of all-time during the week, and then on game day they don't let him throw a pass more than 5 yards down field unless it's 3rd down.

He looks lost out there. Did in preseason as well.

And no one was withing 5 to 10 yards of Keller. He had an easy 1st down and he said in the postgame that he didn't put out his arm because he though he was well past the sticks.

I think he was still woosy like someone mentioned.

Keller also has a history of having his head in his a$$.

Not for nothing, but after the game the Ravens said a lot of their defensive gameplan revolved around taking Edwards out of the game since he is the only deep threat in the absence of Santonio.

So if a defense as good as the Ravens is keying on a guy, he ain't gonna get open very often.

It doesn't help when you have an offensive coordinator who is braindead and can't make adjustments to help that guy get open.

Keyword: Adjustments. Not in Schottenheimer's vocabulary. His offense always looks the same. run, run, short pass. It doesn't matter what the strengths or weaknesses of the opposing defense is, what the score is, what the weather conditions are, what time of the game is. Until the last couple of minutes of the game. If the Jets are losing, then he will finally give in and throw on 1st and 2nd down. But it kills him.

Hmm.. I've seen pennington be a net negative against defenses like that for almost a decade. He sucks and is the last thing we need here this season, we actually face some good defenses. Maybe next time we're playing the AFC and NFC west again

Well, good luck with Sanchez then. I'm sure he'll be much better against great defenses. My offer for a second round pick still stands :P

What's the big fuss over the Keller play? No way in the world were the Jets going to get into position to attempt a field goal. They had just used the final time out for some unknown reason and were frittering away the time with 5 yard passes that were basically going nowhere. They had used up 1 minute already and had only reached their own 37. At that rate, the jets would have needed another 5 minutes on the clock.

I don't think so. That would require your OC to actually call passes to WR's instead of backs.

Honestly though, I don't think all the blame can be put on Sanchez. He seems to be getting mixed signals. On one hand, Rex seems to be telling him he's the greatest QB of all-time during the week, and then on game day they don't let him throw a pass more than 5 yards down field unless it's 3rd down.

He looks lost out there. Did in preseason as well.

The problem is we seem to have no offensive gameplan and are unable to make adjustments when whatever the hell it is we are trying to do doesn't work.

That ain't the QB's fault.

Well, good luck with Sanchez then. I'm sure he'll be much better against great defenses. My offer for a second round pick still stands :P

Take your second rd pick in stuff it in penningtons dainty a$$.... next to your tongue

Our WR corp sucks and Keller isnt very good either.

Edwards is god awful...and Cotchery is what he is.

Edwards was covered by at least 2 people every down last night and sometimes even had one over the top to make it triple coverage so this assessment isn't fair. You saw they just put single coverage on Cotchery and he couldn't beat his guy deep. Keller was roughed up in the middle all night and was also doubled many times. They doubled Keller and Edwards and let everyone else single cover while keeping 8 in the box and playing the run every down. It's no secret how big the Santanio Holmes trade was. You can make your assessment of Edwards after Holmes gets back, cause Holmes will be the one doubled. Everyone's love fest with Cotchery has always been vibrant on this messageboard, and I just never understood that. He has great hands but not much speed so I just haven't seen it really. He's defiantly a slot or number 4 WR in the NFL.

I'd actually love to see Brunell step up and say something. They brought him hear to help Mark well he could help him by talking to Rex and Schotty and telling them to open the field for this kid. Somebody needs to say something because if they think theyre gonna win with check down plays and screen passes 5 yds behind the line of scrimmage they're dreaming.

What a bunch of bandwagon buffoons. This is the blueprint. This is how we get to 11 wins and a playoff berth. We are just never going to give Sanchez the opportunity to blow it, and it's going to win us more games than it loses. It wasn't enough to win yesterday because the Ravens have a great defense, they were fluky good and we were fluky bad on third down, Cromartie and Wilson were awful, and Schottenheimer couldn't get out of his own way. The only reason we were even in a position to steal a win was because Sanchez was handcuffed. Yeah, it sucks only getting field goals off the turnovers and you'd have liked to see at least a little selective aggression, but a pick-6 ices that game at any point and what are we talking about then? We have the right plan and we stuck with it. We lost this one. How many did we lose last year by giving him the green light? I'd obviously rather we didn't have Sanchez at all but this is the only way to play it.

Edwards was covered by at least 2 people every down last night and sometimes even had one over the top to make it triple coverage so this assessment isn't fair. You saw they just put single coverage on Cotchery and he couldn't beat his guy deep. Keller was roughed up in the middle all night and was also doubled many times. They doubled Keller and Edwards and let everyone else single cover while keeping 8 in the box and playing the run every down. It's no secret how big the Santanio Holmes trade was. You can make your assessment of Edwards after Holmes gets back, cause Holmes will be the one doubled. Everyone's love fest with Cotchery has always been vibrant on this messageboard, and I just never understood that. He has great hands but not much speed so I just haven't seen it really. He's defiantly a slot or number 4 WR in the NFL.

Cotchery has great hands but he certainly didn't show it last night. His bungling ended a few drives.

What a bunch of bandwagon buffoons. This is the blueprint. This is how we get to 11 wins and a playoff berth. We are just never going to give Sanchez the opportunity to blow it, and it's going to win us more games than it loses. It wasn't enough to win yesterday because the Ravens have a great defense, they were fluky good and we were fluky bad on third down, Cromartie and Wilson were awful, and Schottenheimer couldn't get out of his own way. The only reason we were even in a position to steal a win was because Sanchez was handcuffed. Yeah, it sucks only getting field goals off the turnovers and you'd have liked to see at least a little selective aggression, but a pick-6 ices that game at any point and what are we talking about then? We have the right plan and we stuck with it. We lost this one. How many did we lose last year by giving him the green light? I'd obviously rather we didn't have Sanchez at all but this is the only way to play it.

This is a blueprint to lose in the playoffs. Trading up to get a QB @4 and then advocating a strategy where he tops out at Chad Pennington makes the Sanchez pick worse then the Gholston one.

There's no bandwagon here, the kids playing scared, and the coaches are coaching scared. Rex included, 4th 1 at the ten and they kick it?

This is a blueprint to lose in the playoffs. Trading up to get a QB @4 and then advocating a strategy where he tops out at Chad Pennington makes the Sanchez pick worse then the Gholston one.

There's no bandwagon here, the kids playing scared, and the coaches are coaching scared. Rex included, 4th 1 at the ten and they kick it?

What do you want me to say here? Did not want. Presumably when they drafted him they thought he could play.

What do you want me to say here? Did not want. Presumably when they drafted him they thought he could play.

I was ok with it (despite lewin) until i saw how quickly Rex turned 2008's defensive abomination into a top 3 unit.. At this point it's just a mismatch..

Still, he's here now and I'd rather go down swinging then watch that crap. Playing scared is not a recipe to win a SB and goes completely against the bravado that rex trys to project..

Let me start by saying this was probably the toughest test for our Offense all year and if our Defense can play like they did last night I think we are all good.

That being said I remember last year week 1 at the Texans, Sanchez was absolutely money on third downs. It felt like every third down he stepped up and fired a laser for the first. I also remember thinking to myself that this kid isnt afraid to play the game and that he had that "it" factor. I felt like that was one quality that couldnt be coached but is necessary to be great. At the time I was hoping Sanchez would be great not just good....

This game showed me that he has taken major steps back in this regard. He was scared, our oline was scared, our WRs/TEs were scared, and our coaches were scared. All the work he's put in has changed the way he plays the game and that doesnt bode well for us.

Let me start by saying this was probably the toughest test for our Offense all year and if our Defense can play like they did last night I think we are all good.

That being said I remember last year week 1 at the Texans, Sanchez was absolutely money on third downs. It felt like every third down he stepped up and fired a laser for the first. I also remember thinking to myself that this kid isnt afraid to play the game and that he had that "it" factor. I felt like that was one quality that couldnt be coached but is necessary to be great. At the time I was hoping Sanchez would be great not just good....

This game showed me that he has taken major steps back in this regard. He was scared, our oline was scared, our WRs/TEs were scared, and our coaches were scared. All the work he's put in has changed the way he plays the game and that doesnt bode well for us.

He looks like Schotty coached the cajones right off of him.

According to Doggin's post on JI, he was at the game in the upper deck and said that Sanchez didn't throw downfield because Edwards was double/triple covered and Cotchery was either doubled or didn't beat his 1-on-1 matchup. The Jets did not have a viable 3rd WR in the game.

I hope Doggin posts here to say more.

According to Doggin's post on JI, he was at the game in the upper deck and said that Sanchez didn't throw downfield because Edwards was double/triple covered and Cotchery was either doubled or didn't beat his 1-on-1 matchup. The Jets did not have a viable 3rd WR in the game.

It's funny how the Ravens can do that but the Jets can't even double Boldin.

If we're lucky Holmes makes that impossible. It's clear Cotchery was never a #1 WR, despite people loving him and hoping he was. But Cotchery leaves a lot to be desired even as a #2. With Holmes-Braylon the Jets should have 2 guys that can actually beat coverage consistently. I guess Week 5 is where we find out for real what this offense can do.

One thing I did notice; and this was true of BOTH teams; was the tendency to run on first down (repeatedly). To run an offense that keeps the opposing defense off balance (and that is, after all, the objective) you have to run when a pass is expected, and pass some on expected "run" downs. If a team doesn't do that, especially against good defenses, it will likely fail.

He wasn't letting plays develop.. The announcers said it repeadetedly..

He wasn't letting plays develop.. The announcers said it repeadetedly..

Maybe because he had a paranoid OC who was shouting constantly in his ear to look for the checkdown.

What do you think Sanchez and Schotty were arguing about on the sideline last night? Based on the way Sanchez called plays in the preseason game, it was about Schotty being a giant puss.

Maybe because he had a paranoid OC who was shouting constantly in his ear to look for the checkdown.

What do you think Sanchez and Schotty were arguing about on the sideline last night? Based on the way Sanchez called plays in the preseason game, it was about Schotty being a giant puss.

And the HC too.. you can't have it both ways.. this philosophy comes from Rex directly..

I'm not disagreeing with that. But we both know that Rex is not going to be calling offensive plays any time soon.

And he doesn't have to.

What Rex needs to do is create a vision and strategy of what he wants the offense to accomplish.

Then Shotty needs to design, develop and execute that type of offense. If he is incapable of doing that, then he needs to hit the road.

But Rex has to put his blueprint on the offense just like he has done with the defense, it's his football team.

Archived