Sanchez afraid to throw it, and Rex/Schotty afraid to let him

CTM

And he doesn't have to.

What Rex needs to do is create a vision and strategy of what he wants the offense to accomplish.

Then Shotty needs to design, develop and execute that type of offense. If he is incapable of doing that, then he needs to hit the road.

But Rex has to put his blueprint on the offense just like he has done with the defense, it's his football team.

And I haven't seen anything in four years to suggest that Schotty is capable of that.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not disagreeing with that. But we both know that Rex is not going to be calling offensive plays any time soon.

Aten is right above, last night was the blueprint. The one Rex wants, we lost for the same reasons we used to lose with Pennington. The blueprint of run the ball and play good defense isn't a succesful formula against really good teams. Had we played one of the sadsack teams in the league last night, we'd probably have won by 14

And he doesn't have to.

What Rex needs to do is create a vision and strategy of what he wants the offense to accomplish.

Then Shotty needs to design, develop and execute that type of offense. If he is incapable of doing that, then he needs to hit the road.

But Rex has to put his blueprint on the offense just like he has done with the defense, it's his football team.

This.

It's obvious that Nacho isn't ready to be the focal point of the offense. We need to be a run first, run second type of team. I'm ok with that.

What I'm not ok with is the lack of shots downfield. The D looks better than last year. Take a shot, who cares if it gets picked, its basically a punt.

And enough with all the moronic, overly complicated pre snap stuff. No one is fooled, all it nets us is false start penalties. Run the stuff that made Sanchez look halfway competent late last year. Slants, quick outs, bootlegs. He obviously can't handle anything else, so why ask him to?

Aten is right above, last night was the blueprint. The one Rex wants, we lost for the same reasons we used to lose with Pennington. The blueprint of run the ball and play good defense isn't a succesful formula against really good teams. Had we played one of the sadsack teams in the league last night, we'd probably have won by 14

We have the talent. We need an OC who knows how to scheme and gameplan to beat any defense.

Our talent isn't suspect IMO, its the scheme. The truth about Sanchez is that we still really don't know if he's the guy or not, he's certainly shown some flashes. The problem is Schotty's scheme hasn't changed all that much from Mangini to Rex. He's still completely unimaginative and tries all that presnap BS to make himself look smart when all it does is overcomplicate things for the players and lets the defense know exactly when we are going to snap the ball on every play.

And the HC too.. you can't have it both ways.. this philosophy comes from Rex directly..

This is not a philosophy. It's situational pragmatism. When a new head coach comes in, the first thing he has to do is pick out a quarterback and stake himself to him. The quarterback he marries is gonna get him canned more often than not, but the alternative is dicking around and not making a choice, which is how you wind up in Cleveland. We're stuck with Sanchez and as such our options are seriously constrained. All this crap about playing not to lose and going down swinging and stuff is just words. Playing this kind of game is the best way to win with the offense as presently constituted. Maybe it's different when Holmes gets back, or if Sanchez ever gets any better, or just when we're not playing the Ravens.

This is not a philosophy. It's situational pragmatism. When a new head coach comes in, the first thing he has to do is pick out a quarterback and stake himself to him. The quarterback he marries is gonna get him canned more often than not, but the alternative is dicking around and not making a choice, which is how you wind up in Cleveland. We're stuck with Sanchez and as such our options are seriously constrained. All this crap about playing not to lose and going down swinging and stuff is just words. Playing this kind of game is the best way to win with the offense as presently constituted. Maybe it's different when Holmes gets back, or if Sanchez ever gets any better, or just when we're not playing the Ravens.

4th 1 on the 10 and kick a FG, when you claim to have an unstoppable running game is a herman edwards move.. his actions don't match his words

I said before the season Pennington would actually be the perfect QB for this Jets team. If he was QB, the Jets win that game last night. We'll trade him back to you for a 2nd round pick ;)

you know your rightt. Penny would be a great fit, or maybe favre. I tell you what, I think Penny for Kric Jenkins,wait scrath that. yeah just give us a 2nd

I was 15 rows from the field and watched Sanchez NOT throw to open receivers all night. I was screaming "Edwards! You a$$hole! Edwards!" on one play when he checked down to Tomlinson, While Braylon stood alone twenty yards down field waving his hands after a broken coverage. Schotty is a clueless hack, but Sanchez holds the ball too long... resulting in holding calls, stares down recievers, misses the open man, and dives when he should slide, and slides when he should dive. He is officially terrible.

Since you were on the field i am sure you have a better perspective than people who saw the game on TV.

Whoever is to blame they better freaking get it right!

Or when we get a competent OC.

According to Doggin's post on JI, he was at the game in the upper deck and said that Sanchez didn't throw downfield because Edwards was double/triple covered and Cotchery was either doubled or didn't beat his 1-on-1 matchup. The Jets did not have a viable 3rd WR in the game.

I hope Doggin posts here to say more.

I already posted this EXACT thing. This is right on the money. That's what I saw.

Yep, Jaws was on top of that.

Jaws also made a great observation this morning on ESPN.

He said that for the majority of the game, Sanchez feet were not set to deliver a downfield throw, ultimately meaning that Sanchez already made his decision to check-down as the play was developing downfield.

Jaws also made a great observation this morning on ESPN.

He said that for the majority of the game, Sanchez feet were not set to deliver a downfield throw, ultimately meaning that Sanchez already made his decision to check-down as the play was developing downfield.

Which tells me he was being told not to throw downfield.

It was as bad a game as possible offensively last night. I just ran the stats on my site and how they compared to what the Ravens did last year and there really is no excuse for what happened. Part of the problem was that the offensive line was horrible in pass protection. Brick looked like the 340,000 man, not the 34 million dollar man. Woody stunk. Slauson constantly got run over. It allowed Baltimore to really mix up what they did and drop guys into coverage rather than all out blitz like we had to do. Ngata is not a guy that racks up a ton of sacks. He nearly ate Sanchez on the play where he threw Slauson like a rag doll and almost had him a second time as well but Mark got away.

JMO, but Mark did not let the plays develop partially because he made the quick read that guys were dropping into coverage and he decided pre snap to not force the issue especially since he knew he would feel pressure, at least later in the game. His checkdowns were as bad as Chad at his worst in 2007. He did have Edwards in the end zone early and threw it away rather than chance the pick in the end zone. It was poor play all around. I think some of this is on Rex. He clearly has a short fuse with the turnovers this year. He benched Greene and pulled Wilson from specials after they let the ball hit the turf. I think Mark did not want the tongue lashing about protecting the ball. I just hope they clear this up next week. You can not win in this league with that kind of play. With the early turnovers the defense created there is no reason for the Jets to only be up 6-0 late in the first half. The game should have been over.

Which tells me he was being told not to throw downfield.

I agree. I think because the game was so close Shotty though it best just to not throw the game away. The problem is, it's hard to go to that well when you need most when you've avoided it all game. That last drive was...well, I've seen Henne do the same thing a few times. Not pretty.

Kleck, do you really think Shotty and Rex told him "Do not throw the ball downfield?"

Why was Shotty so pissed on the sidelines early in the 4th quarter when Sanchez dumped one off and the Jets had to punt?

I think Schotty told him that.

That was an offensive gameplan designed for one purpose - don't throw a pick, plain and simple. If the QB is not even setting his feet it's probably because he's been coached to expect a heavy pass rush and to dump the ball off to protect himself.

Mike, I can't blame the kid because I saw him sling it all over the place in college. I saw him stand in the pocket with unbelievable presence for the first three weeks last year and make one third down pass after another with a less talented receiving corps. Then he got walloped by New Orleans and the coaching staff went into over-protect mode and really haven't come out of it yet.

I've also seen this same offense run by three other QBs and its been the same damn thing.

GOTTA BLAME SCHOTTY FOR NOT MAKING HALF TIME ADJUSTMENT; THE REFS WERE CALLING DEFENSIVE HOLDING & PASS INTERFERENCE ANY CHANCE THEY GOT & SCHOTTY CERTAINLY DID NOT TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT BY LETTING MARKIE THROW DOWNFIELD...ALSO SEEMED HE GOT OFF HIS RECEIVERS & THREW THE OUTLET TOO SOON...WAS AFRAID OF TAKING THE SACK...I'M SURE THE PATS HAVE SUNDAY'S GAME PLAN DRAWN UP ALREADY

:cheers:

i dont get the logic of "the offense stunk, so lets crank this ****er up a notch!"

it's like saying "this little kid with the training wheels is terrible. lets take off the training wheels, and push him down a hill. that will work. "

id rather see them manage their way to a 1 point close loss than fling and sling their way to a 20 point blowout loss.

janesports

Ryan said the perhaps the Jets have drilled Sanchez so much on not throwing turnovers that he hesitated to throw downfield.

OMG he realizes. Thank you Rex!!

JennyVrentas

Asked if Sanchez was reluctant to air out bc of turnovers, Ryan said "maybe so." Says team needs to stretch field more. #nyj

i dont get the logic of "the offense stunk, so lets crank this ****er up a notch!"

it's like saying "this little kid with the training wheels is terrible. lets take off the training wheels, and push him down a hill. that will work. "

id rather see them manage their way to a 1 point close loss than fling and sling their way to a 20 point blowout loss.

how do we know that they stunk? they didn't even try. Run into the ravens strength 2 times and check down on third.. they might as well just punted

Oh man.. fatcessa just said the 2 problems are that 1) they have no confidence in sanchez and 2) he has no confidence in himself..

i may need to rethink this position..

The problem isn't that everybody knows Sanchez is terrible, it's that he's terrible in the first place. I don't see why it's a bad thing that we are aware of the situation and proceeding accordingly.

Kleck, do you really think Shotty and Rex told him "Do not throw the ball downfield?"

Why was Shotty so pissed on the sidelines early in the 4th quarter when Sanchez dumped one off and the Jets had to punt?

I know you didnt ask me but i ABSOLUTELY believe that Schotty was telling him that.

Really? Instead of punting every single possession yesterday I wouldnt have minded one bit if he took a 40 yd shot down the field and got picked.

Archived