Rex and Schotty Post-Game Fight?

Darrellegivesmeaboner#24

Daily News Live on SNY just reported that Sanchez & Shotty got into it last night as well.

What the hell is going on in Jetsland?

He's probably fed up with being handcuffed by that waste of an OC. I'd bet my last red cent Sanchez wanted to throw downfield to try and win the game and Schott wouldn't let him do it.

Edited by billo83

So you would prefer to keep an incompetent OC until the so called "soon to be champs" are no longer playoff contenders, and then it would make since to can him?

Do you think Rex gives a rats a$$ about what others think? I don't either as long as it helps the team. We would look more ridiculous keeping a worthless OC running the show and bringing the team to its knees. Admit your mistake and move on.

Not IMO. I can't see how it could possibly be worse.

IIRC, the playbook is huge. I would think there's enough to work with, and Cally can add in a few wrinkles of his own. Shotty's problem is not just with poorly designed plays, but with calling the wrong plays at the wrong times, handcuffing Sanchez and not throwing downfield, and a huge one - no adjustments! When it was clear that his game plan was not working, why didn't Shotty open it up in the second half? He changed nothing, and the results were the same.

No my point was why the hell was all this talk happening, if we have all these problems with Shcotty and the offense.

Why was it not recognized sooner, and why did they wait till now to do something about it???

I'm not against finding wrinkles and using a new play caller, I said trowing out the playbook and starting from scratch was not the way to go now.

As far as going down filed for all you know Schotty was calling them deep, and Sanchez was checking down.

"arguments" with rival fans have always been the most entertaining part of message boards. Threads where people play nice and all agree are boring.

I agree.. The old scout boards had a smack forum devoted to this. Was a lot of fun and segretated from the main board.

Max should consider here.

So civil behavior and intelligent discussion are boring to you? We have enough disagreement internally just among Jets fans, and I don't mind rival fans, but there is a line drawn where trolling starts and somebody isn't adding anything.

This is supposed to be fun, it's a game. Not life and death. I think the trolls are funny sometimes and it's good to have a little back forth..

You'll regret this.

Yes he will. I heard he doesn't like Pennington either.

No my point was why the hell was all this talk happening, if we have all these problems with Shcotty and the offense.

Why was it not recognized sooner, and why did they wait till now to do something about it???

I'm not against finding wrinkles and using a new play caller, I said trowing out the playbook and starting from scratch was not the way to go now.

As far as going down filed for all you know Schotty was calling them deep, and Sanchez was checking down.

Good question on the former. I can only speculate that maybe Rex was giving Schott every last chance to get this thing right since (as I've seen reported) they are good friends. Maybe the terrible preseason and the horrid showing last night took its toll and caused a melt down?

As far as going downfield, other people at the game said it appeared they weren't running many patterns downfield. Couple that with the fact that both Rex and Sanchez were reported having heated incidents with Schott and I would say it's on him. Where there's smoke, there's usually fire.

Good question on the former. I can only speculate that maybe Rex was giving Schott every last chance to get this thing right since (as I've seen reported) they are good friends. Maybe the terrible preseason and the horrid showing last night took its toll and caused a melt down?

As far as going downfield, other people at the game said it appeared they weren't running many patterns downfield. Couple that with the fact that both Rex and Sanchez were reported having heated incidents with Schott and I would say it's on him. Where there's smoke, there's usually fire.

If Rex waited this long to give him a "last chance," then he really should have shut the fvck up!

It may have well been Schotty and I'm all for going with a new play caller, but instilling a whole new system at this point should be out of the question!

Yeah, and there was a ton of smoke this year... Like cheeseburgers on the practice field, fvcking with a female reporter, gay unicorns, stink bombs, etc.

There is no discipline right now, and that better change!

If Schotty was not calling deep plays, that may also have something to do with Sanchez. I don't know, I'm only going on what I saw.

Perhaps they should have pulled him for the last few drives, maybe if they put a veteran out there Shcotty feels more comfortable going deep.

It's not like he would be threatened, he knows he's the starter, and he has no confidence to lose.

Kind of like pulling you goalie when he's having a bad night, he knows he's coming back in the next game with something to prove!

I agree.. The old scout boards had a smack forum devoted to this. Was a lot of fun and segretated from the main board.

Max should consider here.

Now that's a winner. I've seen this at other boards as well in the past. I agree with DLJ posts, but I understand where others are coming from. But everyone wins with this format - u got the smack forum with the trolls for those who like it, and u got the main forum for those who don't want the smack.

Make it happen Max!

• Upvote 1

If Rex waited this long to give him a "last chance," then he really should have shut the fvck up!

It may have well been Schotty and I'm all for going with a new play caller, but instilling a whole new system at this point should be out of the question!

Yeah, and there was a ton of smoke this year... Like cheeseburgers on the practice field, fvcking with a female reporter, gay unicorns, stink bombs, etc.

There is no discipline right now, and that better change!

If Schotty was not calling deep plays, that may also have something to do with Sanchez. I don't know, I'm only going on what I saw.

Perhaps they should have pulled him for the last few drives, maybe if they put a veteran out there Shcotty feels more comfortable going deep.

It's not like he would be threatened, he knows he's the starter, and he has no confidence to lose.

Kind of like pulling you goalie when he's having a bad night, he knows he's coming back in the next game with something to prove!

I'm basing my opinion on Schotts overall experience with us. I mean other than maybe his 1st year, has he done anything with the O? I think someone posted here that we haven't had a 300 yard passing game since 2006. Now I would have thought Favre would have had 1 or 2, but even so that's saying something. Plus it was reported that Favre had to fight with Schott to open up the playbook for him!

I'm not saying to install a new system. Cally can use the existing system and improve upon it as time goes by. I can't see where he would do any worse that Schott and would likely do a much better job.

No arguments about the lack of discipline nor pulling Sanchez late in the game for Brunnell. In fact I was calling for that on the last series myself.

However, I still think it's Schotty that is in fault here though. If indeed Sanchez is checking down too much, I would have to wonder if this is Schott drilling into his head to not throw picks instead if letting him play the game.

I'm basing my opinion on Schotts overall experience with us. I mean other than maybe his 1st year, has he done anything with the O? I think someone posted here that we haven't had a 300 yard passing game since 2006. Now I would have thought Favre would have had 1 or 2, but even so that's saying something. Plus it was reported that Favre had to fight with Schott to open up the playbook for him!

I'm not saying to install a new system. Cally can use the existing system and improve upon it as time goes by. I can't see where he would do any worse that Schott and would likely do a much better job.

No arguments about the lack of discipline nor pulling Sanchez late in the game for Brunnell. In fact I was calling for that on the last series myself.

However, I still think it's Schotty that is in fault here though. If indeed Sanchez is checking down too much, I would have to wonder if this is Schott drilling into his head to not throw picks instead if letting him play the game.

I'm all for getting rid of Schotty, and doing that, and even going with a whole new system next year.

Apparently Rex is denying the altercation, so I hope it was not true.

I would hate for our Coach to be known as the biggest mouth and the biggest lier, but that may be inevitable at this point.

Edited by The Brooklyn Jet

I don't know if true, but something in the Rex post game press conference jumped out at me that might led credence to it.

Rex was asked if he benched Greene after the fumble and Rex said "I didn't bench anybody" or something to that effect. It was a real terse answer and he went to the next question.

That immediately popped in my head the second I read this as well. Rex made it clear in his press conference he wasn't handling the offense or benched Greene after that question.

This might not be a bad thing to have this early in the season and get the ship straightened out.

On the last drive it was obvious there was some discord between Sanchez and Schotty!

We need someone else to do the playcalling.

Sanchez called a nice game in the preseason finale.

He's probably fed up with being handcuffed by that waste of an OC. I'd bet my last red cent Sanchez wanted to throw downfield to try and win the game and Schott wouldn't let him do it.

Well he should have just called something and then done exactly that. The game was over anyway, so what if it gets picked off at that point?

I'm all for getting rid of Schotty, and doing that, and even going with a whole new system next year.

I would hate for our Coach to be known as the biggest mouth and the biggest lier, but that may be inevitable at this point.

Rule #1 of coaching is you keep this type of unrest "in house."

Meaning you don't tell the press about it.

Whether it happened or not, Rex telling the press that it didn't is the right thing.

all bullsh*te aside sunday is a hugee game!! schotty needs to get his stuff together and make better play calls or make sanchez look at a second option before throwing it to the checkdown man. This week stats dont matter though all that matters is us getting a W. if we get a win we have a good shot at going 3 and 1 which takes a good amount of pressure off of this team. I will be happy with sanchez throwing for 100 yrds if we win!!

I hope at the very least he is stripped of all play calling duties.

Rule #1 of coaching is you keep this type of unrest "in house."

Meaning you don't tell the press about it.

Whether it happened or not, Rex telling the press that it didn't is the right thing.

I agree you keep it in house, but if it gets leaked, then lying about it is not going to get you anywhere!

I did not say he should tell the press, but if it happened and they know it did, then lying about it is only going to expose you as a liar.

I don't think that would be very smart. I hope if this did happen it does not get confirmed, although Rex probably likes egg on his face.

Edited by The Brooklyn Jet

Well he should have just called something and then done exactly that. The game was over anyway, so what if it gets picked off at that point?

The game wasn't over at that point, they could have gotten in range for a long FG try. I can only speculate on this, but maybe Schott instructed him to dink and dunk his way down to avoid an INT?

I do know that Sanchez is a competitor and showed last year he likes to throw it downfield. So why all of the sudden would he stop throwing it downfield if Schotty is not handcuffing him?

The game wasn't over at that point, they could have gotten in range for a long FG try. I can only speculate on this, but maybe Schott instructed him to dink and dunk his way down to avoid an INT?

I do know that Sanchez is a competitor and showed last year he likes to throw it downfield. So why all of the sudden would he stop throwing it downfield if Schotty is not handcuffing him?

Not by dinking and dunking they couldn't have. It took them a minute just to go 10 yards. It would have taken them another 5 to go the 50 they needed, and there were no timeouts remaining.

I agree you keep it in house, but if it gets leaked, then lying about it is not going to get you anywhere!

I did not say he should tell the press, but if it happened and they know it did, then lying about it is only going to expose you as a liar.

I don't think that would be very smart. I hope if this did happen it does not get confirmed, although Rex probably likes egg on his face.

Its not lying. It is, as I said, "keeping it in house."

If it comes out later that it did happen, Rex will not look bad because he tried to keep the situation in house and keep it from getting out of control.

Listen, I'm as pissed about yesterday's game as anyone... but I think we're grasping at straws worrying about Rex being a "liar" over something like this. He handled it right, no matter what the truth is. Nobody from the football universe would dispute that.

This might not be a bad thing to have this early in the season and get the ship straightened out.

On the last drive it was obvious there was some discord between Sanchez and Schotty!

We need someone else to do the playcalling.

I have to be honest. That was the probably the one thing last night that made me feel so much better about Sanchez. Say what you want about the kid, but he's not stupid and while the ability of consistent performance at a high level still needs to be proven, there's no doubt the understanding and knowledge is there. And with all of that said, there's few times I can remember seeing a QB on the field as disgusted with the playcalling as Sanchez clearly was last night. The kid was thinking the same thing everyone in that stadium and everyone watching at home was. Good for him. If only he realized how right he was when he made his comment after calling a TD drive in that Eagles game.

The frightening part about it is that, at times, Schotty does have some flashes of having the ability to be a good OC (as rare as those may be). It just seems like that only manages to come around after he ****s things up for a while and gets sh*t on. Maybe we're in luck that it happened week one this time around.

I have to be honest. That was the probably the one thing last night that made me feel so much better about Sanchez. Say what you want about the kid, but he's not stupid and while the ability of consistent performance at a high level still needs to be proven, there's no doubt the understanding and knowledge is there. And with all of that said, there's few times I can remember seeing a QB on the field as disgusted with the playcalling as Sanchez clearly was last night. The kid was thinking the same thing everyone in that stadium and everyone watching at home was. Good for him. If only he realized how right he was when he made his comment after calling a TD drive in that Eagles game.

The frightening part about it is that, at times, Schotty does have some flashes of having the ability to be a good OC (as rare as those may be). It just seems like that only manages to come around after he ****s things up for a while and gets sh*t on. Maybe we're in luck that it happened week one this time around.

The skills players on this offense for the past couple of years should be given credit for polishing turds... I wouldn't attribute the appearance of good offensive play to Schotty, case in point, Leon Washington's big game saving plays from the Favre year... they made us all ignore the inherent flaws in the offense because we got the wins. When the big plays stopped coming, we saw the real results.

Its not lying. It is, as I said, "keeping it in house."

If it comes out later that it did happen, Rex will not look bad because he tried to keep the situation in house and keep it from getting out of control.

Listen, I'm as pissed about yesterday's game as anyone... but I think we're grasping at straws worrying about Rex being a "liar" over something like this. He handled it right, no matter what the truth is. Nobody from the football universe would dispute that.

It's not the football universe I'm worried about, it's the media. ;)

The skills players on this offense for the past couple of years should be given credit for polishing turds... I wouldn't attribute the appearance of good offensive play to Schotty, case in point, Leon Washington's big game saving plays from the Favre year... they made us all ignore the inherent flaws in the offense because we got the wins. When the big plays stopped coming, we saw the real results.

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not defending Schotty here. I despise the man and wanted to see Rex go Buddy on him mid-game. However, my only point is that since it seems impossible for this man to get fired there is one slight possible ray of hope. And that is that every time we are convinced he's finally about to get himself sh*t-canned, he suddenly remembers how to call some offensive plays. Not fantastically mind you, but competently.

That said, can anyone tell me WTF is going on with these passing plays that Schotty draws up? In all of his time here it has been a consistent issue that I can NEVER explain and it was extremely evident last night. What the **** takes so long for our pass plays to develop? Seriously, it took more than twice as much time for the Jets to get a 10 yard pass play as it did for the Ravens to get a 20 yard pass play. This isn't even an exaggeration! How is that possible? And it's not just here or there, it's the entire passing offense for years. I just can't even understand how it's possible. Flacco gets pressured immediately and fires it off just as he's hit, 20 yard completion. Sanchez drops back, looks left and right, gets multiple seconds in the pocket and completes a 9 yard pass. And it can't be all blamed on Sanchez, as that was the deepest receiver on the field, and he only just got that far out. It's mind-boggling.

Not by dinking and dunking they couldn't have. It took them a minute just to go 10 yards. It would have taken them another 5 to go the 50 they needed, and there were no timeouts remaining.

Most offenses could have. IIRC there was at least a minute and a half with one time out left when they got the ball back. More than enough time to at least get into range for a long FG, even by dinking and dunking.

My point is that this was probably what Schotts thinking was. Of course he hasn't a clue how bad he or his offense is at this point.

When all said and done Sanchez is still a 2nd year QB. He's worked hard and has more comfort level with the system to know the right plays are not being called. But it will take some more time for him to come around and play to his abiltites. But last nite by most accounts he was being too cautious. His physche on the field has changed completely and so far his play on the field seems to have regressed. And that's one of the areas where Schotty has to take the lion's share of the blame.

I agree Schotty has shown some flashes. But those rare flashes are not enough to warrant an OC's job and too for 5 years running. We have seen it all. And its not pretty for the most part. His play calling, his coaching of Mark. All leave a lot to be desired over his 5 year tenure. I do not think at this point we can wait for him to come around. We need a new play caller for Week 2. Maybe Brunell or more like Callahan has to take over those duties.

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not defending Schotty here. I despise the man and wanted to see Rex go Buddy on him mid-game. However, my only point is that since it seems impossible for this man to get fired there is one slight possible ray of hope. And that is that every time we are convinced he's finally about to get himself sh*t-canned, he suddenly remembers how to call some offensive plays. Not fantastically mind you, but competently.

That said, can anyone tell me WTF is going on with these passing plays that Schotty draws up? In all of his time here it has been a consistent issue that I can NEVER explain and it was extremely evident last night. What the **** takes so long for our pass plays to develop? Seriously, it took more than twice as much time for the Jets to get a 10 yard pass play as it did for the Ravens to get a 20 yard pass play. This isn't even an exaggeration! How is that possible? And it's not just here or there, it's the entire passing offense for years. I just can't even understand how it's possible. Flacco gets pressured immediately and fires it off just as he's hit, 20 yard completion. Sanchez drops back, looks left and right, gets multiple seconds in the pocket and completes a 9 yard pass. And it can't be all blamed on Sanchez, as that was the deepest receiver on the field, and he only just got that far out. It's mind-boggling.

I know you aren't defending him. Just adding my $.02 to an already good point that you made.

As for the other question about the passing plays... I've been asking a similar question for 4 years. In the past my questions and observations about these issues have been lost in the fray of "anti-Chad" and "pro-Chad" and "anti-Favre" and "I hate Favre" debates perpetuated by those that don't actually look beyond the superficial reporting ESPN does for the house wife grade NFL casual fans.

Edited by Integrity28

Most offenses could have. IIRC there was at least a minute and a half with one time out left when they got the ball back. More than enough time to at least get into range for a long FG, even by dinking and dunking.

My point is that this was probably what Schotts thinking was. Of course he hasn't a clue how bad he or his offense is at this point.

No most offense could not...especially against the Ravens. You have to take some shots, most teams would get a big shot in the middle of the field for about 20 yards at least at some point.

I mean I just don't think you can get down the field with 7 yard passes. Let's say all of them complete. The average Schotty play takes what, 15 seconds from all the pre-snap motions to the slow development to be executed? So they'd manage 42 yards or so, and that's completing everything, in 1:30? If they could do that so easily this team would score 50 points a game.

No most offense could not...especially against the Ravens. You have to take some shots, most teams would get a big shot in the middle of the field for about 20 yards at least at some point.

I mean I just don't think you can get down the field with 7 yard passes. Let's say all of them complete. The average Schotty play takes what, 15 seconds from all the pre-snap motions to the slow development to be executed? So they'd manage 42 yards or so, and that's completing everything, in 1:30? If they could do that so easily this team would score 50 points a game.

They had Lewis dropping in the middle specifically to stop the pass over the middle. It didn't look like the Ravens were giving up the middle and the Jets weren't able to exploit the sideline. Teams usually give up the middle to eat clock. The sideline is a tougher throw and takes longer, but will kill the clock. They made the Jets do the work and the Jets weren't capable.

They had Lewis dropping in the middle specifically to stop the pass over the middle. It didn't look like the Ravens were giving up the middle and the Jets weren't able to exploit the sideline. Teams usually give up the middle to eat clock. The sideline is a tougher throw and takes longer, but will kill the clock. They made the Jets do the work and the Jets weren't capable.

They did have a depleted secondary. One might suppose that the Jets could exploit that. Ray Lewis dropping into coverage should hardly be the secret weapon that stops an all-out passing attack. They're not going with their usual front-seven then. They're going with their starting 4 in the secondary, which already featured 2 backup players, and then added 1-2 more backup DB's to it depending on that particular down.

If you can't exploit that then the playcalling, the QB, or both suck big-time.

They did have a depleted secondary. One might suppose that the Jets could exploit that. Ray Lewis dropping into coverage should hardly be the secret weapon that stops an all-out passing attack. They're not going with their usual front-seven then. They're going with their starting 4 in the secondary, which already featured 2 backup players, and then added 1-2 more backup DB's to it depending on that particular down.

If you can't exploit that then the playcalling, the QB, or both suck big-time.

I agree. I'm just stating why they didn't go over the middle like teams normally would. BTW, I'm having trouble posting so I probably have about 6 "oh bullsh*t" responses to your Brees comments posted. Be forewarned.