Must Read - New York Jets: Schottenheimer-Led O Doesn't Have One 300-Yard Passer Since 2006

JetsFan34

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/461903-brian-schottenheimer-led-offenses-not-one-300-yard-passer-since-2006

New York Jets: Schottenheimer-Led O Doesn't Have One 300-Yard Passer Since 2006

By Sean Sheppard on September 14, 2010

Brian Schottenheimer has been the offensive coordinator of the New York Jets since 2006, making the 2010-2011 season his 5th year on the job. In his four full years, the following quarterbacks have lined up under center: Chad Pennington, Kellen Clemens, Brett Favre, Brad Smith, Brooks Bollinger and Mark Sanchez.

Now I know there’s only one hall of famer in the bunch (Favre), but Chad Pennington enjoyed a productive career (when he wasn’t out for the season with yet another shoulder injury).

My point in listing all these QB’s is that there is enough talent among them to have passed for several 300 yard games apiece over the years right? At least with Pennington and Favre, right? Well if you think so you’re wrong.

Since 2006, the only Jets QB that has thrown for 300 yards in a game is Chad Pennington, and he did it 4 times, all in 2006. There hasn’t been one 300 passing game by a Jet QB since 2006. Not even by the game’s greatest gun slinger, Brett Favre.

I personally think this stat is amazing.

The Jets have had enough talent at the wide receiver position, at the tight end position and on the offensive line where there really is no reason why it is nearly impossible for a Jet quarterback to throw for 300 yards in a game. Well there is one reason.

Who do you blame for the Jets' pedestrian passing game since 2006?

Mangini and Ryan Schottenheimer Quarterbacks Wide Receivers Submit Vote vote to see results

Brian Schottenheimer.

When the Jets got rid of Laveranues Coles and Santana Moss, they immediately made the pro bowl with the Washington Redskins. It’s not that they didn’t have pro bowl talent while playing with the Jets; they did. It’s just that for some reason, they never reached their maximum potential playing in the Jet's offense, no matter who the O.C. was (Moss did not play in Schottenheimer's system).

When Chad Pennington signed with the Dolphins, many questioned his ability to play quarterback at a high level. By the time he left the Jets, many fans, including myself, wanted to be rid of Pennington’s weak arm and injury prone shoulder.

I remember Chad saying at the time (I’m paraphrasing), “people who know this game know the circumstances under which I play.” It’s as if Chad was trying to tell us all something about Schottenheimer on his way out the door. Chad Pennington, with the pop-gun arm, wound up throwing for several 300 yard games for the Dolphins during his first year with the ball club. Check the stats, it’s true. Hmmmm….pop-gun arm? Or crappy offensive system in New York?

Fast forward to the Jets’ Monday Night game against the Ravens. If all things, good or bad, start at the top, then Rex Ryan cannot be excused for the team’s poor performance on offense, penalties etc. But a closer look at the Jets reveals something very telling.

Rex Ryan runs the Jets’ defense. The Jets’ defense is the strongest unit on the team. If not for the defense, the Jets would have had a sub .500 record in 2009 and been blown out in tonight’s game against the Ravens. I have no problem with the man running the defense.

Mike Westhoff runs special teams, and the Jets, under Westhoff’s dictatorship, have been one of the top special teams units in the entire NFL year after year. Against the Ravens, Steve Weatherford, the Jets’ punter, looked like a pro bowler compared to 2009, Nick Folk was perfect in field goal attempts (despite his surprisingly weak kickoffs) the coverage teams were solid and Jim Leonhard’s sparkling punt return featured crushing blocks by Dwight Lowery and John Conner. The special team units were solid as usual. I have no problem with the man running special teams.

This takes us to Brian Schottenheimer, who oversees the Jets’ offense. The Jets’ offense, year after year, has been their Achilles heel, regardless of the quarterbacks, wide receivers, tight ends, running backs or offensive linemen on the team. Sure, the Jets have figured out how to run the ball effectively over the past couple of years. They ran it amazingly well in 2009, leading the entire NFL in rushing yards per game. When the Jets needed a yard in 2009 , they FINALLY got it against the Chargers (long suffering Jet fans know all about the team's history with 3rd &1 and 4th & 1).

But the passing game? Well as I mentioned, the Jets have not had a 300 yard passer since 2006 despite having pro bowl talent on the offensive line, at the wide receiver position AND at QB (Favre was a pro bowler during his one year with the team). So if a team has players with talent yet continues to struggle in the passing game, who is to blame?

When a girl keeps dating creeps, at some point she has to look in the mirror and realize it's not the creep's fault that she keeps picking them. She's the common denominator in all her relationships.

When the only constant about the offense since 2006 has been the offensive coordinator, despite pro bowl talent at his disposal, he’s to blame. Plain and simple.

I’m amazed that no one writes about this! NOT ONE 300 YARD PASSER SINCE 2006!!! Yes, I know Sanchez was, at times, an interception machine in 2009, but he was a rookie and that’s to be expected. But Schottenheimer has had seasoned quarterbacks (one with a hall of fame resume) to work with and it seems like the quarterbacks, when successful, are successful in spite of the system, not because of it.

Tom Brady, it has been said, is successful in large part due to Belichick’s system. Spurrier’s college QB’s are successful due to his system. Schottenheimer’s system? Well, it appears if you’re a QB, a wide receiver or tight end in his system, it’s akin to being sent to a super max prison: you can’t break out no matter what you do.

You won’t be throwing for 300 yards in a game any time soon if you’re a QB and you won’t be catching 80 balls in a season if you’re a wide receiver or a tight end.

And I don’t want to hear about the Jets being a running team. Could it be that the Jets are a running team because they can’t pass with any consistency in Schottenheimer’s offense?

Every offensive coordinator around the league seems to be adept at creating mismatches against opposing defenses. Not Schottenheimer. There have been countless times over the years when the Jets have gone against a defense with a depleted or extremely green secondary (as they did against the Ravens on Monday Night) – and have never capitalized (and they didn’t on Monday Night, once again). Mismatches in the Jets’ favor are rarely if ever exploited (Dustin Keller is a mismatch against anyone covering him), and it appears as if the Jets are fairly easy to prepare for.

When you watch the Jets as often as I do (live or on tape), it seems as if they have 10 pass plays - total. I think Brian Schottenheimer is a nice enough person based on appearances, but the bottom line is that his unit is running anchor leg on the Jets team. The offense is an albatross around the team’s neck, and I’ll say it again: the only constant about the Jets’ offense since 2006 is – Brian Schottenheimer.

The Jets certainly have no need to panic. They lost one game, their first game of the year, by 1 point. Their defense was great again despite the penalties and their defensive secondary play will improve with more time in the system (remember, Cromartie and Wilson are brand new and Wilson is a rookie).

But the fact remains that Brian Schottenheimer is a seasoned veteran and a known commodity. His total body of work as an offensive coordinator has been less than stellar. Rex Ryan, in his first year running the Jets defense, produced the number 1 defense in the NFL.

Brian Schottenheimer has been the O.C. since 2006, and although his position with the Jets is the first O.C. job of his career, he’s had 4 years to produce a top 5 offense and hasn’t come close to accomplishing that feat.

Say whatever you want about Sanchez. He’s young and learning. He’s going to make mistakes, yet at times, has shown flashes of brilliance. I just don’t feel that Schottenheimer is doing the kid any favors. Based on his track record, I don’t see the Jets scaring anyone in the passing game as long as he is the O.C. of the NYJ.

Not one 300 yard passer since 2006. You can’t just point to the Jets quarterback(s) anymore.

thats crazy. But it kinda makes sense. I mean penny came down here to Miami and did well, he didnt light it up but he did great in Miami. And Favre was bad in NY and when he went to Minn he turned into a MVP type player. But who do you guys dont really want to fire him do you. I mean this early inj the season???wouldnt that be throwing this season away? And I think you guys have to win this year bc those contracts are coming up...

thats crazy. But it kinda makes sense. I mean penny came down here to Miami and did well, he didnt light it up but he did great in Miami. And Favre was bad in NY and when he went to Minn he turned into a MVP type player. But who do you guys dont really want to fire him do you. I mean this early inj the season???wouldnt that be throwing this season away? And I think you guys have to win this year bc those contracts are coming up...

We've wanted to fire him for a couple of years now, this isn't just some rush overreaction to last night.

Favre didn't need to pass for 300 yards the game he threw 6 TDs in. (289). He also posted a 290 and a 271 that year. Whatever.

Clemens sucks.

Bollinger sucks.

Smith played QB for the Jets? What for like 10 plays per season?

Sanchez sucks... so far.

I don't blame him for not stretching the field with Pennington... how can you blame him for that.

I don't like Schotty, but I'm not a big fan of bogus statistics or totally ignoring the context. Schotty has had broken arm QB, multiple never-has been-never-will-be QBs, and a rookie (now a soph).

Only one I consider really reasonable there is Favre.

Favre didn't need to pass for 300 yards the game he threw 6 TDs in. (289). He also posted a 290 and a 271 that year. Whatever.

Clemens sucks.

Bollinger sucks.

Sanchez sucks... so far.

I don't blame him for not stretching the field with Pennington... how can you blame him for that.

I don't like Schotty, but I'm not a big fan of bogus statistics or totally ignoring the context. Schotty has had broken arm QB, multiple never-has been-never-will-be QBs, and a rookie (now a soph).

Not to mention we are a run first team, I think I heard ground and pound or something.

Favre also had a torn bicep, and threw a ton of interceptions.

How the hell can anybody make any judge on Clememns when he has been stuck with the asshat Schotty as his coordinator all of his career and only got playing time on one of the least talented teams offensively I have seen in a long time. ADRIAN CLARKE WAS A FRICKIN STARTER!

Here is something I wrote on him last year http://www.nyjetscap.com/Schottenheimer.html

Im not blaming him for last night, but I dont get how people defend him. The track record is hideous.

I think people have this instinctive fear that lack of faith in their players and coaches will somehow hurt the team in some sort of supernatural way. Sort of like New Guinean cargo cults.

1. This isn't a must read.

2. It's been done before.

3. It's cherry picking at it's best.

4. It concludes nothing besides us not really having great QB play. Not EVEN that...It concludes that we have only had one QB throw for 300+ yards since '06. You can only manufacture QB play up to a certain point...'06 Pennington being the best example...if a QB is competent, then and only then is it possible to manipulate his production...and even then that's more like letting him play like he can play.

5. Sanchez has only been good in flashes. Pennington was as good as you could expect/hope in '06 after the two surgeries and years off. Favre was absolutely awesome until he wasn't...Unless you really want to argue that Schottenheimer started calling INTs I have no idea where you'd take that. It's not rocket science as to why our offense has been mediocre and inconsistent at best under Schottenheimer...because it's been QB'd to mediocre or less levels by the 4 guys who've run his offense in his 4 years here.

I forgot how low the group IQ tends to drop after a loss...At least try and pretend to think critically.

5. Sanchez has only been good in flashes. Pennington was as good as you could expect/hope in '06 after the two surgeries and years off. Favre was absolutely awesome until he wasn't...Unless you really want to argue that Schottenheimer started calling INTs I have no idea where you'd take that. It's not rocket science as to why our offense has been mediocre and inconsistent at best under Schottenheimer...because it's been QB'd to mediocre or less levels by the 4 guys who've run his offense in his 4 years here.

So Schotty's terrible play calling, lack of in-game adjustments, poor game planning, and poorly designed plays have nothing to do with all this? How about Favre having to plead with him to open up the playbook? Not to also mention that Schott has a big hand in developing and/or coaching/mentoring these QB's. Interesting.

Clemens sucks.

Bollinger sucks.

Sanchez sucks... so far.

How many times was penny a 300 yard passer in miami, and how is getting crushed wild card weekend great? :blink:

Chad had the following 300 yard or close to it games in 08'... 2008 was also the most yards he had in his career

284 - HOU

295 - BAL

314 - BUF

281 - @ DEN

341 - NE

He also cut his INT's in half from the previous year and added some TD's... had 38 passes over 20 yards and 8 passes over 40 yards and had his career long pass (80 yards twice I believe)

There is NO DOUBT that Shotty sucks just based on this alone... Chad was looked at as a washed up noodle arm who went to Miami and had one of his best years ever.

Now add Favre into this... he called himself out of what seemed like every play and did nto gel with Shotty's scheme... goes to Minny and puts up HUGE numbers...

No doubt there are other teams that could use the JETS roster more effectively than Shotty.

Gato, what is it with you and Schotty? Did you get his autograph at the mall or something?

I have no special anything for Schottenheimer. I think he does his job. I don't think the QB does the job, and somehow that gets put on Schottenheimer. You can't coordinate good QB play. You can't blame the coach for a QB's play...a 2nd year QB's play at that. That was Sanchez's 17th career start. His 20th overall. Against the Ravens, the head coach's ex-team and a perennially dominant D.

Do realize that Great Leader and Sanchez are next in line after the Schotty name has been pulled from the blame hat. At this rate I expect Sanchez to be considered "too West Coast" by 2012.

Dbates sig has a basic outline of the cycle we ride.

Archived