Jets Inquired Browns @ Shaun Rogers

Darth Vader

Would You Do a 2011 2nd Rounder for Rogers?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Do a 2011 2nd Rounder for Rogers?

• Hell Yes
    • Hell No

Dude, have you ever had an issue with deals we've made with the Browns? We traded up to get Sanchez for practically nothing, and we brought in Braylon Edwards for practically nothing. What makes you think Tannenbaum can't low-ball the Browns into dealing us Rogers for practically nothing?

Rogers for a conditional 4th that can end up a 3rd. Do it.

Mangini was calling the shots for those deals, Holmgren handles those chores now.

Mangini was calling the shots for those deals, Holmgren handles those chores now.

True - but even he knows that he's not going to get a 2nd rounder for a troubled 31 year old NT that has fallen out of favor with the team. He can be had for less, but we won't fleece them like we did with Mangini in charge.

True - but even he knows that he's not going to get a 2nd rounder for a troubled 31 year old NT that has fallen out of favor with the team. He can be had for less, but we won't fleece them like we did with Mangini in charge.

Depends how badly Cleveland wants to dump Rogers's salary. Makes $7M this year and a going-nowhere team like Cleveland just might not want to pay it.

I don't know where this idea that you have to have great player on the line for a 3-4 comes from. Back in the 80s I remember people saying it was the other way around. Back then people said you draft strong, slow nobodies in the middle rounds to take up blockers and then use top draft picks for the LBers and then you have your 3-4 defense.

How many people here can name 3 defensive linemen from the Giants in the '80s? But we all know the names Taylor, Carson and Banks. You draft Lawrence Taylor with the 2nd pick in the draft and the next year you draft Carl Banks with the 3rd pick you have your effing defense. That was the 3-4 when I was young, the LBers were the stars and the linemen were nobodies eating up blockers by two gapping. Same thing with the famous Dome Patrol from the 80s. Everybody remembers Ricky Jackson and most people my age will remember Pat Swilling, Sam Mills and maybe even Vaughan Johnson, though I had to google that last one. But who can name a single linemen from the dome patrol era?

Anyway, great 3-4 defenses have been built with space eater linemen, when I was young that was the standard way to do it. Have 3 strong guys eat up the blockers and let the linebackers be the star of the show.

Point being, I don't see why we need to trade away our future in the form of draft picks for a star NT. Just change the OC and rock and roll with what we've got.

I don't know where this idea that you have to have great player on the line for a 3-4 comes from. Back in the 80s I remember people saying it was the other way around. Back then people said you draft strong, slow nobodies in the middle rounds to take up blockers and then use top draft picks for the LBers and then you have your 3-4 defense.

How many people here can name 3 defensive linemen from the Giants in the '80s? But we all know the names Taylor, Carson and Banks. You draft Lawrence Taylor with the 2nd pick in the draft and the next year you draft Carl Banks with the 3rd pick you have your effing defense. That was the 3-4 when I was young, the LBers were the stars and the linemen were nobodies eating up blockers by two gapping. Same thing with the famous Dome Patrol from the 80s. Everybody remembers Ricky Jackson and most people my age will remember Pat Swilling, Sam Mills and maybe even Vaughan Johnson, though I had to google that last one. But who can name a single linemen from the dome patrol era?

Anyway, great 3-4 defenses have been built with space eater linemen, when I was young that was the standard way to do it. Have 3 strong guys eat up the blockers and let the linebackers be the star of the show.

Point being, I don't see why we need to trade away our future in the form of draft picks for a star NT. Just change the OC and rock and roll with what we've got.

I agree with this although I remember Jim Burt, George Martin and Leonard Marshall. I don't think Rex's D has too much in common with those old 3-4 the way Mangini ran it. I think he does well with penetrators, but if he thought these Dlinemen were so important then they should have addressed it during the offseason. If he thinks they NEED Rogers I'm okay with it, but for a 2nd? GTFOOH.

The Browns got him two years ago for a 3rd and Leigh Bodden (after a deal for a 3rd and a 5th fell thru for Detroit). He's 31 years old now. I wouldn't want to go higher than a conditional 4th, but I'd definitely be talking to them.

Pouha did do a great job last year filling in for Jenkins, but now we really have no solid depth behind him. Being able to play Pouha at DE is also a plus.

... well said ...

...anyone have his contract info handy? ...

... as long as thats reasonable i would go as high as conditional 4th or 5th based on performance if we can ... if not then based on playing time/health ...

l_j_r

For sure. Lost in the amazingness of Revis last year was the dominance of Pouha and how he anchored the line.

2nd is too high IMO. We are not desperate. We have a good rotation with DeVito. And Kroul has shown signs of being a serviceable player. I'd be more prone to give a Marques Douglas another go round if you really want more depth. Just dont think you trade a 2nd rounder for depth. Plus he's just not worth it.

Agreed. If it was a lower pick it'd be worth considering.