Pats and Bengals comparisons

serphnx

Common opponents!  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who will have a better performance against the Jets D?

• Joe Flacco
    • Tom Brady
    • Comparable/not much difference
  2. 2. Who will have a better performance against the Ravens D?

• Mark Sanchez
    • Carson Palmer
    • Too similarly crappy to call

You have a poll to choose from, but you can also explain why you think it will happen.

I used the word performance because stats can be misleading. Palmer was awful imo but has nice stats against the Pats. But well, I believe Palmer will actually be pretty worthless against the Ravens D, in stats and performance, and if you watch you'll forget how bad Sanchez was.

I don't think you can compare the two in each case, the Jets, and Pats, and the Bengals, and Ravens are division opponents. Any team can and will do much better against a division opponent its just the way it is. You see these teams so many more times in your career, Palmer has played against the Ravens atleast 10x and Sanchez has seen the Pats, 2x's in 1 year and more importantly the Jets offensive coaches has schemed against the Pats 8x, so I don't think it is fair to make comparisons here.

Brady handled the Jets D in the second game last season and I don't know if Cromartie or Wilson can realistically stay with Wes Welker at all. I think Sanchez has to figure out a way to put up 24 points in this game to give us a chance to win. As talented as Flacco may be, Brady is on another planet when it comes to being able to read a defense.

As well as Brady played against cinci, I just don't see him matching that against us. The two times he played us last year he had a pretty abysmal game (not sanchez anbysmal, but bad for brady)week 2, but came back in their second game when welker was finally healthy and went off for 15 catches and 190 yards or something absurd. However, that was also the week after that 4th and 2 game against the Colts and it was clear they were hungry.

If I'm the jets, I put Cro on Moss with over the top help and revis on welker. Cro is a freaky athlete with gazelle like strides, where he is best when just running step for step with his receiver. However, as shown last night, he has a tough time coming out of his breaks and staying with good route runners, due to his long legs and strides.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/boxes/index.nsf/8aba06aaab1d51b485256a9e000c9904/1ea629021f3e3348852576770005a88c?OpenDocument

Week 11 vs NYJ:

T.Brady: 28 for 41 (68%), 310 yards, 1 TD, 0 Int

Other key stats of note:

First Downs: NE-27; NYJ-12

Total Yards: NE-410; NYJ-226

3rd/4th Down: NE-9/18; 3/11

Total Plays: NE-78; NYJ-49

Time of Possession: NE-39:54; NYJ-20:06

Keep in mind this was a very different and much inferior Patriots team than the one you'll be facing in five days.

http://www.jt-sw.com/football/boxes/index.nsf/8aba06aaab1d51b485256a9e000c9904/1ea629021f3e3348852576770005a88c?OpenDocument

Week 11 vs NYJ:

T.Brady: 28 for 41 (68%), 310 yards, 1 TD, 0 Int

Other key stats of note:

First Downs: NE-27; NYJ-12

Total Yards: NE-410; NYJ-226

3rd/4th Down: NE-9/18; 3/11

Total Plays: NE-78; NYJ-49

Time of Possession: NE-39:54; NYJ-20:06

Keep in mind this was a very different and much inferior Patriots team than the one you'll be facing in five days.

I don't see how the team was that inferior. You had Brady, Moss, Welker and Maroney had career days, Faulk and Taylor. You added Tate and Gronk, however Warren and Bodden were healthy. I think you had an extremely potent offense along with a decent defense and I think you still have that. Bare in mind, sanchez will most likely not throw for 4 interceptions...however, although I'd like to, I can't make the promise that he won't hah. It'll either be a very good game or a lop-sided victory in your favor.

I don't see how the team was that inferior. You had Brady, Moss, Welker and Maroney had career days, Faulk and Taylor. You added Tate and Gronk, however Warren and Bodden were healthy. I think you had an extremely potent offense along with a decent defense and I think you still have that. Bare in mind, sanchez will most likely not throw for 4 interceptions...however, although I'd like to, I can't make the promise that he won't hah. It'll either be a very good game or a lop-sided victory in your favor.

1. Brady wasn't Brady. His accuracy, footwork, and fundamentals were off all season. While still a very good QB, he was a shadow of himself. The 2010 version of Tom Brady on the other hand has been much improved in those areas all through training camp. He's back to the point, and perhaps beyond, where he was in 2007.

2. Offensive Coordinator (w/o title). We had a new guy there last season and there were growing pains. Whatever level he's at right now, it's beyond where he was 2009.

3. Defensive Coordinator. For the first time in the BB era, he essentially fired one of his coordinators after last season. Patricia is now taking care of those responsibilities (w/o title) and the early indication is that he's much more adept and willing to get creative in how he deploys the players. Plus BB has his hands in the defense much more than he has in the past. That's a huge plus.

4. Weapons. Outside of Moss, Welker, and Faulk, we had no weapons in the passing game in 2009. As you'll learn through the course of this season, that is far from the case in 2010. The emergence of Brandon Tate and Edelmann plus our riches at TE make this our most potent offense (personnel wise) in the Belichick era.

5. Chemistry. For whatever reason, the 2009 team never gelled. Too many new vets that just didn't fit in with "the Patriots way". Now those players are gone and they've been replaced by hungry young players driven to prove themselves and do whatever is asked of them. Big difference.

1. Brady wasn't Brady. His accuracy, footwork, and fundamentals were off all season. While still a very good QB, he was a shadow of himself. The 2010 version of Tom Brady on the other hand has been much improved in those areas all through training camp. He's back to the point, and perhaps beyond, where he was in 2007.

2. Offensive Coordinator (w/o title). We had a new guy there last season and there were growing pains. Whatever level he's at right now, it's beyond where he was 2009.

3. Defensive Coordinator. For the first time in the BB era, he essentially fired one of his coordinators after last season. Patricia is now taking care of those responsibilities (w/o title) and the early indication is that he's much more adept and willing to get creative in how he deploys the players. Plus BB has his hands in the defense much more than he has in the past. That's a huge plus.

4. Weapons. Outside of Moss, Welker, and Faulk, we had no weapons in the passing game in 2009. As you'll learn through the course of this season, that is far from the case in 2010. The emergence of Brandon Tate and Edelmann plus our riches at TE make this our most potent offense (personnel wise) in the Belichick era.

5. Chemistry. For whatever reason, the 2009 team never gelled. Too many new vets that just didn't fit in with "the Patriots way". Now those players are gone and they've been replaced by hungry young players driven to prove themselves and do whatever is asked of them. Big difference.

No offense, but this is a crock of sh*t. You are basing everything off of one game against the Bengals. Coming out of the preseason the Pats had injury concerns and their D did not look very stout. You can't exactly cite new co-ordinators and "chemistry" as advantages after one game. You may be 100% correct, but this sounds like typical "We won week 1!!!" homer crap.

If it's me, I keep Revis on Moss with Wilson in the slot with help. I agree that Cromartie is not well suited to Welker, but I don't know that I want to give Moss TD opportunities or risk breaking Revis' cloak of invincibility. Help short on Welker with LBs and pound the little ****er. He'll get his, but hopefully we'll contain him.

Stats at the half:

Flacco:

5/17 23 yards 1 INT

Palmer:

10/19 89 yards

Sanchez was again:

10/21 74 yards

Unless Flacco goes 5/5 for 51 yards (and maybe a TD) Sanchez has better stats than him.

Palmer is pretty much right there, a tiny bit better I suppose, but he is also a long time vet with 2 top or former top WRs to work with.

Archived