Why The Jets may miss out on a top CB in the draft

YJF

This is for The Jets fans who want to see us draft a CB. Just an early speculation piece here.

At this moment. There are 5 CB's that are being projected in the first round. Things can change in the next few weeks but right now, The 5 CB's are.

Antrell Rolle, Adam Jones, Carlos Rogers, Justin Miller and Marlin Jackson.

There's a chance that a 6th CB could sneak in the mix but these 5 are expected to go in the first 35 picks.

In order to try and figure out if a position can slide to us. You gotta look at the draft order and look at teams needs.

There are alot teams out there that need CB help. That could change in the next month depending on what moves are made in free agency.

The top three teams could all use a CB but I don't think that they will take one that high. Antrell Rolle is climbing up the charts and it looks like, He will be the first to go. This alll starts at pick #6.

Tennessee is on the verge of losing both of their starting CB's.

Arizona at 8 could be looking CB with the departure of Starks and Barrett the last two years.

The Redskins at 9 just lost Fred Smoot. They have got to be in the market for a CB and Adam Jones seems like a great fit here. He has the speed neccesary to play on an island.

The Chiefs at 15 could be looking CB even if they get Surtain or Ty Law. They should try and get both. What a tandem that would be!

The Saints at 16 really need CB help. McKenzie helped them at one spot last year but they have bypassed CB every year in the draft. It's time they jump in on one here. Perhaps Rogers from Auburn.

The Jaguars will be looking CB at 21. They need someone opposite Rashean Mathis and they just cut their #2 and #3 CB's.

Seattle at 23 will be looking CB. Unless they make a move in the month leading up to the draft. In the last two years, They've lost Springs and now Lucas. They need help.

The Packers at 24 need defense. CB is a huge possibility.

At 25, Denver could also be looking at CB after another Colts debacle last season where Roc Alexander did his best Mike Brim impersonation. They have Champ Bailey and Lenny Walls but they still could use help and are still reeling because of what happened to them against The Colts and now they have to contend with Randy Moss and The Raiders.

That brings us to 26 with The Jets. There's a chance that all 5 CB's could be gone by the time, The Jets pick. Which means that they will either have to trade up to get into position for a CB. Or trade down to accumulate picks.

Jets are not exactly in a great spot if they have CB targeted as their position.

YJF, do you want to know why we're in good position for this draft?

If all 5 of those cornerbacks are drafted it means that someone is going to fall. It could be guys like RB Cadillac Williams, OT Jammal Brown, WR Troy Williamson, and/or S Thomas Davis.

I'd really like to see the Patriots move up to the 22-25 range.

In there they'll have a decent shot at some of the CBs, at Clayton, and at Pollack.

Good scenarios on the CB situation YJF.

lag also make a good point that if they are gone, somebody falls.

RS, you think the Pats can swing a deal with Dallas to move up to the #20 pick?

There is a change going on in The NFL. Speed at CB is now more important than size. It's good to have a big physical CB but with the new rules, Speed is more important.

Dunta Robinson and DeAngelo Hall did great jobs as rookie's last year and they are not big physical CB's.

As for The Jets. They better not draft a WR or RB. They don't need them. The Jets are well stocked at RB right now. They'd be stupid to put first round money into The RB position when they already have Martin, Blaylock and Sowell.

They should stay away from WR too. Unless you can draw me a scenario where Braylon Edwards or Mike Williams are Jets. I don't want to give first round money to a #3 WR who will have to battle it out with Cotchery and company next year.

The Jets are good at those two positions.

You wanna make an argument for Heath Miller sliding to 26 based on his injury issues. OK, Let's take him or move up to get him.

The Jets have to focus in on OL, DL and The Secondary for their first pick.

If any other position is taken, Bradway should be fired on the spot.

There is a change going on in The NFL. Speed at CB is now more important than size. It's good to have a big physical CB but with the new rules, Speed is more important.

i was going to post that in reply to your first - even teams that would have thought they might be set at CB for a while will jump at the chance to get one of these speedy corners - IMO, the mantra for most teams will be BPA (EACB) - BPA (Especially At CornerBack)...

one thing i disagree with - Marlin Jackson didn't run well enough to solidify himself as a top CB - if anything Fabian Washington has leap frogged him with his 4.25 time

Bit has it right, and that's why muh-man is the draft daddy 8)

Washington has leaped Jackson in a number of Guru rankings, mine included, though I am not a Guru

So YJF, you have the right idea {five 1st RD corners} but you need to swap Washington with Jackson as #5 ... with Jackson possibly making 6

IMO neither Jackson or Browner will be tabbed in the 1st RD ... Browner is an easy call at this point, but I have the same hunch about Jackson

But I digress ... point being, there will likely be five CB's taken in the 1st RD so YJF is correct on that count ... but I respectfully disagree with the premise because I feel very confident that one of the five will be there at 26

CB is just not a priority for a number of teams, and there are a number of other position players who will be drafted between 1 and 25 who do fill their biggest needs ... it's simple mathematics ... it just seems far more likely than not that one of the five will be there at 26

JMO

YJF, do you want to know why we're in good position for this draft?

If all 5 of those cornerbacks are drafted it means that someone is going to fall. It could be guys like RB Cadillac Williams, OT Jammal Brown, WR Troy Williamson, and/or S Thomas Davis.

What Jetlag said (but less effeminately).

Most of those teams YJ listed have numerous needs, CB, for some of them, being the least of their problems. Rolle and Jones look to be top wo picks, Rogers will go somewhere between 12 and 20, and Marlin Jackson looks like a second rounder right now who will probably play FS. Somebody might bite of Fabian Washington because of a 40 time, but that's a reach right now, IMO. If all those corners somehow jump up, then the Jets can site there and collect Jammal Brown, Thomas Davis, Khalif Barnes or Heath Miller, all dudes who would start from Day One for us.

Bit has it right, and that's why muh-man is the draft daddy 8)

Washington has leaped Jackson on a number Guru rankings, mine included, though I am not a Guru

So YJF, you have the right idea {five 1st RD corners} but you need to swap Washington with Jackson as #5 ... with Jackson possibly making 6

IMO neither Jackson or Browner will be tabbed in the 1st RD ... Browner is an easy call at this point, but I have the same hunch about Jackson

But I digress ... point being, there will likely be five CB's taken in the 1st RD so YJF is correct on that count ... but I respectfully disagree with the premise because I feel very confident that one of the five will be there at 26

CB is just not a priority for a number of teams, and there are a number of other position players who will be drafted between 1 and 25 who do fill their biggest needs ... it's simple mathematics ... it just seems far more likely than not that one of the five will be there at 26

JMO

I hope that you are right.The strength of this draft is the defensive backs. They have very good value in my opinion. It's a deep position.

As far as Fabian Washington goes. He's rising. No question about it. He could sneak in the late part of the first round based on his workout numbers but Marlin Jackson is the better player.

Fine line between better player and better athlete. Usually with NFL teams, Better athlete wins out. Look at what happened to Derrick Strait last year.

At the combine last year, Some guys had Strait as one of the top 32 players in the draft. (Mike Mayock etc)......... After workouts and the combine. Strait goes in the 3rd round.

Strait was a better player than guys who were taken ahead of him but because they had better workout numbers. They got picked ahead of him.

Love Fabian's workout numbers but he wasn't a great CB in college.

YJF, you said it yourself ... and I agree ... and that was a great post ... with the new rules SPEED becomes a far more desirable attribute in a CB than strength

Now consider that Washington ran one of the fastest 40's in combines history ... ran a Deion Sanders 40 ... IMO that makes him a 1st RD Lock, and not a borderline 1st Rounder

The borderline Guy would appear to be Marlin Jackson ... the CB/S tweener who ran like a 4.6

JMO

YJF, you said it yourself ... and I agree ... and that was a great post ... with the new rules SPEED becomes a far more desirable attribute in a CB than strength

Now consider that Washington ran one of the fastest 40's in combines history ... ran a Deion Sanders 40 ... IMO that makes him a 1st RD Lock, and not a borderline 1st Rounder

The borderline Guy would appear to be Marlin Jackson ... the CB/S tweener who ran like a 4.6

JMO

It all depends on the type of CB you want. If you are looking for a Gary Baxter type. Marlin Jackson is your man. He's a tweener, no doubt about it. But his intangibles make him a very appealing player.

He plays the position better than Fabian.

He can cover, He can tackle and he's smart and a good leader. He may be moved to FS in the pros. That could hurt his stock and drop him to the top of the 2nd round.

Fabian has got great speed. That might be enough to make him a first round player. Not so sure though that he was a first round talent in college.

Instincts and awareness on the football field make up for great straight line speed. See Jonathan Vilma. Not the fastest LB in the league but he was always the first guy to the ball.

The CB's I want are Rolle, Miller and Rogers. Unfortunately, all 3 might be gone by the time, Our turn comes around.

I am not really a big fan of Marlin Jackson's. I like him but not as much as I like the other guys. I like his intangibles though. He's nasty.

Archived