Mangold, Taylor injury update By Rich Cimini

Jetfan13

Jason Taylor's left elbow was the size of a grapefruit Monday, but the former Miami Dolphin is expected to face his old team Sunday night in Miami. Nick Mangold (right shoulder) also will play.

Both players underwent MRI exams after getting hurt in Sunday's win over the New England Patriots. Rex Ryan said he didn't have the results of the MRIs, but he expressed confidence that both will be available.

"I think both of those guys are really tough guys," Ryan said. "Jason, we all know his history. He plays, and Nick's a tough guy. We'll see, but I feel pretty good about them."

The Jets really need Taylor, considering they're already down one outside linebacker, Calvin Pace (broken foot), who's still at least another week away from returning. Mangold, their All-Pro center, hasn't missed a game in his career.

Taylor injured his elbow, an apparent hyperextension, late in the third quarter. He returned in the fourth quarter and banged it again on his victory-clinching strip sack of Tom Brady. Mangold went out for a series and returned.

S Brodney Pool (ankle), who made his Jets debut, underwent treatment after the game for his lingering injury. But he, too, should be a go for the Dolphins. WR Braylon Edwards was seen in the locker room Monday with a heavy wrap on his right thigh.

Other notes:

• Head games. Ryan hinted that Patriots WR Wes Welker may have pulled a Derek Jeter, pretending to be hurt when struck in the head on a forearm shiver by S Eric Smith. Smith was flagged for unnecessary roughness. Welker stayed down, drawing attention from the Patriots' trainer.

"Wes wasn't hurt," Ryan said. "You sure thought he was for a minute, until he saw that flag and made it look good." Up in Foxborough, coach Bill Belichick wasn't thrilled with Smith's hit, saying, "I don't think that's what the league is looking for."

• Brick wall crumbling? LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who signed a six-year, $60 million extension before training camp, is off to a slow start. After two penalties in the opener, he surrendered a sack against the Patriots. So did LG Matt Slauson. Ryan said the communication on the left side of the line needs to improve.

• Good calls, coach. Ryan made two aggressive decisions that paid off in a big way.

With 38 seconds left in the third quarter, he decided to go for a two-point conversion to take a seven-point lead instead of settling for the easy six. A lot of coaches don't try two-pointers before the fourth quarter because, if they fail, they end up chasing the lost point for the rest of the game. Ryan, too, subscribes to that philosophy, but in this case, he decided to let the two-point conversion chart dictate the decision because it was so close to the end of the third.

With 2:44 left in the game, ahead by 14, Ryan opted to go for it on a fourth-and-1 from midfield. LaDainian Tomlinson went airborne for three yards, essentially ending the game. If he had failed, the Patriots would've been within striking distance of a touchdown, which would've led to an onsides kick, which ...

Ryan said he was confident the offensive line would get it done for Tomlinson. This was the right call. When you have a chance to deliver the knockout punch, you take it.

• Welcome to Al-cro-traz. CB Antonio Cromartie played a fantastic second half, holding Randy Moss without a catch. But it wasn't a perfect performance. In the first half, Cromartie was supposed to play press coverage on Welker's 6-yard touchdown catch. He played "off," and couldn't close fast enough.

• The spy among them? What what did Ryan think of the Patriots' decision to sign Danny Woodhead? He liked it. Great pick-up by the Pats, he said. Gamesmanship? "If it was gamesmanship," he said, "they would've made him a captain." Like the Jets did last September, when they made ex-Pats QB Kevin O'Connell a captain for Jets-Pats.

• Brick wall crumbling? LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who signed a six-year, $60 million extension before training camp, is off to a slow start. After two penalties in the opener, he surrendered a sack against the Patriots. So did LG Matt Slauson. Ryan said the communication on the left side of the line needs to improve.

The most overrated player at the most overvalued position.

Maybe they'll figure that out before his extension kicks in.

The most overrated player at the most overvalued position.

Maybe they'll figure that out before his extension kicks in.

I actually rewatched the game and Brick's breakdowns weren't all that bad. 1 sack he got beat by Warren, another Mark held it too long.

put it another way he erased the other team's player for 95% of the time. It should be 100% but I do think the continuity in pass protection is affecting that whole side of the line.

Slauson also got beat bad again, altho he was very good in the run game.

Jason Taylor's left elbow was the size of a grapefruit Monday, but the former Miami Dolphin is expected to face his old team Sunday night in Miami. Nick Mangold (right shoulder) also will play.

Both players underwent MRI exams after getting hurt in Sunday's win over the New England Patriots. Rex Ryan said he didn't have the results of the MRIs, but he expressed confidence that both will be available.

"I think both of those guys are really tough guys," Ryan said. "Jason, we all know his history. He plays, and Nick's a tough guy. We'll see, but I feel pretty good about them."

The Jets really need Taylor, considering they're already down one outside linebacker, Calvin Pace (broken foot), who's still at least another week away from returning. Mangold, their All-Pro center, hasn't missed a game in his career.

Taylor injured his elbow, an apparent hyperextension, late in the third quarter. He returned in the fourth quarter and banged it again on his victory-clinching strip sack of Tom Brady. Mangold went out for a series and returned.

S Brodney Pool (ankle), who made his Jets debut, underwent treatment after the game for his lingering injury. But he, too, should be a go for the Dolphins. WR Braylon Edwards was seen in the locker room Monday with a heavy wrap on his right thigh.

Other notes:

• Head games. Ryan hinted that Patriots WR Wes Welker may have pulled a Derek Jeter, pretending to be hurt when struck in the head on a forearm shiver by S Eric Smith. Smith was flagged for unnecessary roughness. Welker stayed down, drawing attention from the Patriots' trainer.

"Wes wasn't hurt," Ryan said. "You sure thought he was for a minute, until he saw that flag and made it look good." Up in Foxborough, coach Bill Belichick wasn't thrilled with Smith's hit, saying, "I don't think that's what the league is looking for."

• Good calls, coach. Ryan made two aggressive decisions that paid off in a big way.

With 38 seconds left in the third quarter, he decided to go for a two-point conversion to take a seven-point lead instead of settling for the easy six. A lot of coaches don't try two-pointers before the fourth quarter because, if they fail, they end up chasing the lost point for the rest of the game. Ryan, too, subscribes to that philosophy, but in this case, he decided to let the two-point conversion chart dictate the decision because it was so close to the end of the third.

With 2:44 left in the game, ahead by 14, Ryan opted to go for it on a fourth-and-1 from midfield. LaDainian Tomlinson went airborne for three yards, essentially ending the game. If he had failed, the Patriots would've been within striking distance of a touchdown, which would've led to an onsides kick, which ...

Ryan said he was confident the offensive line would get it done for Tomlinson. This was the right call. When you have a chance to deliver the knockout punch, you take it.

• Welcome to Al-cro-traz. CB Antonio Cromartie played a fantastic second half, holding Randy Moss without a catch. But it wasn't a perfect performance. In the first half, Cromartie was supposed to play press coverage on Welker's 6-yard touchdown catch. He played "off," and couldn't close fast enough.

• The spy among them? What what did Ryan think of the Patriots' decision to sign Danny Woodhead? He liked it. Great pick-up by the Pats, he said. Gamesmanship? "If it was gamesmanship," he said, "they would've made him a captain." Like the Jets did last September, when they made ex-Pats QB Kevin O'Connell a captain for Jets-Pats.

Rex Ryan can go eff himself. Anyone that watched the game knows that Welker had his bell rung but good. Did you see his face on the sideline? The "I got hit but a truck, what planet am I on?" look. That blow-hard ,snack easting d-bag can go choke on a peanut m&m.

Enough is Enough people. It's time Mangold gets his own ******* statue, plaque or something. That ****er is the epitome of everything you want as a fan. He's incredible yet underrated, your kids can look up to him, he's tough as nails, plays through pain. Let's face it. He's the Jesus Christ of the NFL. Hail Mangold!!!

Rex Ryan can go eff himself. Anyone that watched the game knows that Welker had his bell rung but good. Did you see his face on the sideline? The "I got hit but a truck, what planet am I on?" look. That blow-hard ,snack easting d-bag can go choke on a peanut m&m.

Total bullsh*t then WHY was he allowed back in the game ya know with all the new NFL policies on concussions and all... :rolleyes:

Welker wants Tom Brady treatment now give me a frikken break.

Sorry Garby, wrong again...

Welker claims he’s just fine with Eric Smith after illegal hit

According to Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald, Patriot’s coach Bill Belichick wasn't fond of Eric Smith’s illegal blow to Wes Welker’s head in Sunday’s loss to the Jets.

Welker's tone was much friendlier and conciliatory today when asked about the incident during the loss to the Jets where Smith nearly took his head off.

”Eric came up to me during and after the game and apologized. He was just trying to make a physical football play. That’s what it came down to,” Welker said of Smith, who was flagged 15 yards for an unneccessary roughness penalty for an illegal blow to the head. ”I don’t have any ill feelings about that play or anything else. There’s nothing I’m too worried about with him.”

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Rex prefers pretzel M&M's.

So either Welka was faking or belicheat put Welka back in the game with a concussion (which is illegal by the way, the patriot way)

Which was it?

Please. He nicked him. Barely grazed him. His QB gave him a harder head butt than Eric Smith's arm to his helmet.

BB can go F himself. He's the biggest dirty play coach in the league.

Garb, come on get real. Remember watching this hit on Losman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3POT8n2Qk3g

See how Vince's elbow is jammed out to hit the leg.

Eric Smith plays hard, your guy plays dirty.

Now, if you wanna bitch and moan about Smith, please at least agree that Vince is one hell of a dirty player. He's a disgusting jacka$$

Now, if you wanna bitch and moan about Smith, please at least agree that Vince is one hell of a dirty player. He's a disgusting jacka$$

Beat me to it.

Sorry Garby, wrong again...

Welker claims he’s just fine with Eric Smith after illegal hit

According to Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald, Patriot’s coach Bill Belichick wasn't fond of Eric Smith’s illegal blow to Wes Welker’s head in Sunday’s loss to the Jets.

Welker's tone was much friendlier and conciliatory today when asked about the incident during the loss to the Jets where Smith nearly took his head off.

”Eric came up to me during and after the game and apologized. He was just trying to make a physical football play. That’s what it came down to,” Welker said of Smith, who was flagged 15 yards for an unneccessary roughness penalty for an illegal blow to the head. ”I don’t have any ill feelings about that play or anything else. There’s nothing I’m too worried about with him.”

Welker is a tough sob....but anyone with half a brain could see he was hurting right after that hit.

Good for Smith coming up to Welker afterwards....seems to me that players have a mutual respect for one another that fans do not.

Anyway, it was an illegal hit. It just was. And before any of you get on me about Harrison and Wilfork - well aware, people, well aware. However, this thread is about the smith hit on welker, not wilfork's hit on Losman two seasons ago or Harrison's history of fines.

Jason Taylor's left elbow was the size of a grapefruit Monday, but the former Miami Dolphin is expected to face his old team Sunday night in Miami.

He's a warrior and will always play if he can get on the field.

And he will play in Miami ... to a chorus of boos ... the traitor;)

If he had that look he wouldnt have gone back in the game...

I’m not in favor of all these rules putting an invisible shield around QB’s, but that is one of the dirtiest hits I have ever seen.

The league should have taken dramatic action. It was a clear attempt to end his season

Welker is a tough sob....but anyone with half a brain could see he was hurting right after that hit.

Good for Smith coming up to Welker afterwards....seems to me that players have a mutual respect for one another that fans do not.

Anyway, it was an illegal hit. It just was. And before any of you get on me about Harrison and Wilfork - well aware, people, well aware. However, this thread is about the smith hit on welker, not wilfork's hit on Losman two seasons ago or Harrison's history of fines.

I saw it live, it was not even the worst hit of the day.

He came right back in and he looked fine.

Its football. If you cannot take the hit stay on the sideline.

I have no idea why Brady and now Welker act like divas and except special treatment from the refs and get it all the time. This would have not been a foul if it was any other team playing.

With all due respect to Garb, I thought it was a bit of gamesmanship immediately upon seeing it. As a former boxer, I've seen lots of people get their "bell rung". They dont squirm and writhe like someone with a broken bone. They basically go stiff, like Don Beebe did years ago. They go into a post-dictal like state as the brain slowly recovers from being jarred. Welker looked like a sniper hit him in the a$$.

With all due respect to Garb, I thought it was a bit of gamesmanship immediately upon seeing it. As a former boxer, I've seen lots of people get their "bell rung". They dont squirm and writhe like someone with a broken bone. They basically go stiff, like Don Beebe did years ago. They go into a post-dictal like state as the brain slowly recovers from being jarred. Welker looked like a sniper hit him in the a$$.

With all due respect, of course you think it was a clean hit. You're a Jets fan.

So garb, why can't you answer the question, was he hurt? or was he faking?? if he was faking then Rex was right, if he was hurt then BB cheated and put him in harms way which is it?????

Simple, she'll never admit Rex was right about anything, and she'll never admit that BB did anything wrong.

If you notice, most of her hatred and name calling is directed at players or coaches who have had success against the Pats ;)

Enough is Enough people. It's time Mangold gets his own ******* statue, plaque or something. That ****er is the epitome of everything you want as a fan. He's incredible yet underrated, your kids can look up to him, he's tough as nails, plays through pain. Let's face it. He's the Jesus Christ of the NFL. Hail Mangold!!!

amen !!!!!

With all due respect...what team do you root for?

The patriots. However, unlike most of you I can call a dirty hit when I see one regardless of who does it. Was Wilfork's hit on Losman bad? Yes. Was smith's on Welker's bad? Yes.

Was Wes hurt? Obviously. Enough to sit out the remainder of the game, obviously not.

The patriots. However, unlike most of you I can call a dirty hit when I see one regardless of who does it. Was Wilfork's hit on Losman bad? Yes. Was smith's on Welker's bad? Yes.

Was Wes hurt? Obviously. Enough to sit out the remainder of the game, obviously not.

You claimed that some posters here are biased when they say whatever about Eric Smith's hit because they are Jets fans. Not only is that incredibly hypocritical but it's amusing to think that you didn't expect to be called out on it.

You claimed that some posters here are biased when they say whatever about Eric Smith's hit because they are Jets fans. Not only is that incredibly hypocritical but it's amusing to think that you didn't expect to be called out on it.

How is it hypocritical? This thread is about Smith's hit on Welker. It was dirty. Have Pats players - Wilfork, Harrison, made dirt hits? Yes. Again, how is that hypocritical, Baby Einstein?

I wasn't really thrilled with the play myself, especially at the very moment when I thought about the Boldin hit as well. Welkers like the Derek Jeter of football. I hate his guts...absolutely despise him, but I respect him. He plays the game tough, goes over the middle, and I still don't know how he came back from that ACL injury so quick. General rule of thumb, if a player says they're ok with it, it's not a big deal -- but I still wasn't a big fan of the play. Wasn't the worst play I've ever seen, but not the cleanest either.

That said, screw Welker.

Archived