Mangold, Taylor injury update By Rich Cimini

Jetfan13

How is it hypocritical? This thread is about Smith's hit on Welker. It was dirty. Have Pats players - Wilfork, Harrison, made dirt hits? Yes. Again, how is that hypocritical, Baby Einstein?

I'll walk past the straw man and return to what is hypocritical...

You are trying to claim a bias on the opposing party--that is, you're attacking their right to make the assertion that Welker was not hurt or whatever--while you hold that very same bias in the other direction. It's really quite simple, but you can look up ad hominen circumstantial if you so desire.

Here's an example: an in-shape person argues that Twinkies suck. A fat person says "you would say that--you're in shape. Twinkies are awesome." The fat person is just as likely to say they're awesome because he's fat as the skinny person is to say they're not. Thus, it's hypocritical to claim a bias on the part of the in-shape person.

Here's an example: an in-shape person argues that Twinkies suck. A fat person says "you would say that--you're in shape. Twinkies are awesome." The fat person is just as likely to say they're awesome because he's fat as the skinny person is to say they're not. Thus, it's hypocritical to claim a bias on the part of the in-shape person.

Mmmmmm......twinkies.

With all due respect, of course you think it was a clean hit. You're a Jets fan.

Nope. it wasn't a clean hit. He went to welker's head with his forearm. That's a penalty. A penalty was called. Welker played it up is all I'm saying. I don't believe he was injured by the blow--as evidenced by his speedy return to the game. My statement was simply that it was a bit of gamesmanship for Welker to flop around like he was being electrocuted.

I wasn't really thrilled with the play myself, especially at the very moment when I thought about the Boldin hit as well. Welkers like the Derek Jeter of football. I hate his guts...absolutely despise him, but I respect him. He plays the game tough, goes over the middle, and I still don't know how he came back from that ACL injury so quick. General rule of thumb, if a player says they're ok with it, it's not a big deal -- but I still wasn't a big fan of the play. Wasn't the worst play I've ever seen, but not the cleanest either.

That said, screw Welker.

How dare you.

The hit was clean to me, Welker was faking.

Sorry Garby, wrong again...

Welker claims he’s just fine with Eric Smith after illegal hit

According to Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald, Patriot’s coach Bill Belichick wasn't fond of Eric Smith’s illegal blow to Wes Welker’s head in Sunday’s loss to the Jets.

Welker's tone was much friendlier and conciliatory today when asked about the incident during the loss to the Jets where Smith nearly took his head off.

”Eric came up to me during and after the game and apologized. He was just trying to make a physical football play. That’s what it came down to,” Welker said of Smith, who was flagged 15 yards for an unneccessary roughness penalty for an illegal blow to the head. ”I don’t have any ill feelings about that play or anything else. There’s nothing I’m too worried about with him.”

Did Smith get fined from the league for a head hit?

The Smith hit on Welker deserved to be flagged... No doubt about it. That said it was obvious to me that the Smith hit wasn't that bad and Welker played it up (which I don't blame him for one bit).

Two points:

1) Anytime you hit a player in the head, you are going to get flagged and fined.

2) If you watch the replay, it took Welker about 3 or 4 seconds to go to the ground. I thought he played it up as well.

Archived