Today's athelete is becoming a turn off

vinnys025

If I get a DUI my career and life are over, and I go broke and nobody give a sh**. When Braylon gets a DUI, he doesn't get to play in a kids game for 30 minutes. Yet, who is the one supporting these mother F'ers with every last dime and holler I got left in me? Is that fair? Does he even care? You know he doesn't. After he got a taunting penalty and got bitched at on the sideline, did he remember his verbal punishment only a few minutes prior? Nope! He just did it again a couple plays later.

I mean come on, he took a F'ing man's LIFE a year ago in the almost EXACT situation yet he proceeded to get behind the wheel again DRUNK!! How did this guy even make it in life let alone football????? Braylon is a joke, Revis is a joke, DeAngelo Hall is a joke..... It's getting really hard to like today's athlete. Recently, I'm starting to get a bit turned off from all of this.

Now I know why Sanchez couldn't hook up with him in week 1, there were just too many shifts and check off's. There is NO F'ing way Braylon could remember more than one or two plays at a time. Braylon Edwards is brain dead, there is no other way around this.

Sorry, I had to rant, it's been on my mind and all of this is starting to turn me off a bit. I'm a fan of the sport, not these cry babies. I love football and I love the Jets, however it's starting to get hard to love these guys anymore. Maybe some of you feel this way too? I'm not going to sit here and say I've never done illegal stuff, cause I definitely have, but nothing I've ever done has been irresponsible enough to put me in a position to take an innocent mans life, but if it did, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't put myself in that situation ever again.

Edwards=Clinically insane

There's alot of garbage these athletes have to put up with that you and I don't. You don't walk down the street and have multiple a-holes you don't know telling you you suck.

Personally, the problem with today's sports is that we, the spectators, put way too much value on them and just have retarded expectations of the humans that play the sports. I realize we fans make them rich and blah blah blah so they should appreciate us...but that comes with a price itself and honestly a breaking point is going to come sooner rather than later.

Arent they still human beings? Everyone makes mistakes.

See you'd think that...but the way they're talked about sometimes by the papers and those who enjoy that part of the paper you'd swear they're gods sent down from heaven to entertain us with perfect acts of perfection.

The fact is that being a performer nowadays means you're on the bottom rung of the entertainment industry.

This type of behavior from athletes has been going on for a century going back to the days of Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, and Mickey Mantle all the way to now.

The difference?

Mass media.

Athletes today can't pick their nose without it being reported by some a$$hole trying to make a name for himself.

Not defending the behavior ... only stating that it's nothing new.

If I get a DUI my career and life are over, and I go broke and nobody give a sh**. When Braylon gets a DUI, he doesn't get to play in a kids game for 30 minutes.

30 minutes? .. I wouldn't be surprised if he's out there on the first 3rd and > 6

This type of behavior from athletes has been going on for a century going back to the days of Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, and Mickey Mantle all the way to now.

The difference?

Mass media.

Athletes today can't pick their nose without it being reported by some a$$hole trying to make a name for himself.

Not defending the behavior ... only stating that it's nothing new.

Yes and no. I just think that today's entertainment figures are just a reflection of our society and the media like you mentioned gives them a bigger stage.

Stuff I did in my youth seems mild compared to the crap these guys get into and I think that money has a lot to do with it. The athletes of today don't have to get second jobs in the off season to support their habits...whatever they are.

If I get a DUI my career and life are over, and I go broke and nobody give a sh**. When Braylon gets a DUI, he doesn't get to play in a kids game for 30 minutes. Yet, who is the one supporting these mother F'ers with every last dime and holler I got left in me? Is that fair? Does he even care? You know he doesn't. After he got a taunting penalty and got bitched at on the sideline, did he remember his verbal punishment only a few minutes prior? Nope! He just did it again a couple plays later.

I mean come on, he took a F'ing man's LIFE a year ago in the almost EXACT situation yet he proceeded to get behind the wheel again DRUNK!! How did this guy even make it in life let alone football????? Braylon is a joke, Revis is a joke, DeAngelo Hall is a joke..... It's getting really hard to like today's athlete. Recently, I'm starting to get a bit turned off from all of this.

Now I know why Sanchez couldn't hook up with him in week 1, there were just too many shifts and check off's. There is NO F'ing way Braylon could remember more than one or two plays at a time. Braylon Edwards is brain dead, there is no other way around this.

Sorry, I had to rant, it's been on my mind and all of this is starting to turn me off a bit. I'm a fan of the sport, not these cry babies. I love football and I love the Jets, however it's starting to get hard to love these guys anymore. Maybe some of you feel this way too? I'm not going to sit here and say I've never done illegal stuff, cause I definitely have, but nothing I've ever done has been irresponsible enough to put me in a position to take an innocent mans life, but if it did, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't put myself in that situation ever again.

Wait a minute, Braylon didn't kill anyone a year ago. You're thinking Dante Stallworth.

Are you saying he already killed someone while drunk????

Anyway times change, people grow up and mature. Used to drive motorcycles all juiced up now we get ripped and drive golf carts.

Yes and no. I just think that today's entertainment figures are just a reflection of our society and the media like you mentioned gives them a bigger stage.

Stuff I did in my youth seems mild compared to the crap these guys get into and I think that money has a lot to do with it. The athletes of today don't have to get second jobs in the off season to support their habits...whatever they are.

I'm not talking about second jobs and how much better or well off the athlete is today.

I'm talking about behavior.

You had just as many a$Shole athletes in the '60's and '70's as you do now. I know, I was around back then following sports. The difference is you didn't hear about the bad behavior until days, weeks, months, sometimes even years later when someone wrote a book and by that time nobody cared.

There was no internet, or mass media, back then which means there weren't as many media whores trying to make a name for themselves. Guys following the teams who were privy to some of the negativity rarely wrote about it because of the impact it would have on their ability to work with the team.

Guys like Joe Namath and Mickey Mantle were perceived as partying, fun loving, but harmless playboys. "Boys will be boys" type guys. Mantle was a well known womanizer even though he was married, yet you never read about that in the media back then.

If they played today, both players would be perceived completely different than they are today.

Behavior hasn't changed. Only the way it is now reported.

No doubt in my mind.

I'm not talking about second jobs and how much better or well off the athlete is today.

I'm talking about behavior.

You had just as many a$Shole athletes in the '60's and '70's as you do now. I know, I was around back then following sports. The difference is you didn't hear about the bad behavior until days, weeks, months, sometimes even years later when someone wrote a book and by that time nobody cared.

There was no internet, or mass media, back then which means there weren't as many media whores trying to make a name for themselves. Guys following the teams who were privy to some of the negativity rarely wrote about it because of the impact it would have on their ability to work with the team.

Guys like Joe Namath and Mickey Mantle were perceived as partying, fun loving, but harmless playboys. "Boys will be boys" type guys. Mantle was a well known womanizer even though he was married. you never read about that in the media back then.

If they played today, both players would be perceived completely different than they are today.

Behavior hasn't changed. Only the way it is now reported.

No doubt in my mind.

I'm not talking about guys that like to party...that's been going on since the beginning of time. I am talking about the behavior part of it. Let's use the 68/69 Jets as an example. How many of those players had a "thug" type of mentality? I can think a few on the Jets right now...shall we look into today's basketball player? It's a different mindset nowadays...our society makes it that way.

I'm not talking about guys that like to party...that's been going on since the beginning of time. I am talking about the behavior part of it. Let's use the 68/69 Jets as an example. How many of those players had a "thug" type of mentality? I can think a few on the Jets right now...shall we look into today's basketball player? It's a different mindset nowadays...our society makes it that way.

The point is that you'll never know how many players there were that had thug mentalities in the 60's because there wasn't the exposure on these guys that there is now.

It's been depicted in stories and in movies that Mickey Mantle, at least once, got behind the wheel of a car drunk off his a$$ and drove it into a telephone pole. It went unreported for years.

If you're saying that there are more thugs in today's sports world, I would probably agree with that, but let's not make athletes of the past out to be angels either. There were more than enough a$$holes even back then, they just didn't make headlines like they do now.

The point is that you'll never know how many players there were that had thug mentalities in the 60's because there wasn't the exposure on these guys that there is now.

It's been depicted in stories and in movies that Mickey Mantle, at least once, got behind the wheel of a car drunk off his a$$ and drove it into a telephone pole. It went unreported for years.

If you're saying that there are more thugs in today's sports world, I would probably agree with that, but let's not make athletes of the past out to be angels either. There were more than enough a$$holes even back then, they just didn't make headlines like they do now.

I am not debating you on the point that there were players from yesterday that acted like assholes...there is a difference between acting like an a$$hole and being one...Namath might have acted like an a$$hole at times, but he wasn't an a$$hole...Edwards is an a$$hole.

Are you saying he already killed someone while drunk????

Anyway times change, people grow up and mature. Used to drive motorcycles all juiced up now we get ripped and drive golf carts.

He was drunk, so was stallworth. Braylon wasn't the driver, he was in the passenger seat right next to Stallworth when these two drunks KILLED a guy. Never mind, that guys life isn't important anymore since Braylon was in the passenger seat. Sorry, you made such a great point here..... just wow.

Pro athletes haven't changed, the way we get our our news did.

Sorry you world ended.

My world definatly didn't end, this just helps a bit with the disconnect. Makes it easier to root for Jason Taylor now I guess..... I'll look at the positive in this..... ;)

I am not debating you on the point that there were players from yesterday that acted like assholes...there is a difference between acting like an a$hole and being one...Namath might have acted like an a$hole at times, but he wasn't an a$hole...Edwards is an a$hole.

You could continue lying to yourself. Considering Joe Pa passed up on Namath saying basically "Joe Namath isn't a good student." I find that a nice way of saying this guy is an idiot. But no, no way a guy from the classy 60's could've been a "thug".

There's alot of garbage these athletes have to put up with that you and I don't. You don't walk down the street and have multiple a-holes you don't know telling you you suck.

How often do you really think this happens? JiF says he'd punch Jason Taylor in the face if he got the opportunity, but I think like most of us, he'd just smile and say "good luck this season". You don't mess with a 6-9, 240 lbs. giant, whether you hate him or not.

I think it would be more the opposite, where they're harassed for autographs or told for the millionth time how much they're loved for what they do while trying to eat dinner with the wife and kids. That HAS to get annoying after a while.

He was drunk, so was stallworth. Braylon wasn't the driver, he was in the passenger seat right next to Stallworth when these two drunks KILLED a guy. Never mind, that guys life isn't important anymore since Braylon was in the passenger seat. Sorry, you made such a great point here..... just wow.

My only point is that you dont know what the **** you are talking about.

Dont drink and type?

My only point is that you dont know what the **** you are talking about.

Dont drink and type?

I mistyped my sentence, but seriously does it really matter if he was drunk in the passenger seat or drunk driving? They BOTH were equally irresponsible and if you can't see that then your the one that doesn't know what the **** he's talking about. For him to get drunk again and get behind the wheel after seeing what could happen is straight idiotic. Get a clue about life. Give Braylon a call, I'm sure you guys would get along well.

I mistyped my sentence, but seriously does it really matter if he was drunk in the passenger seat or drunk driving? They BOTH were equally irresponsible and if you can't see that then your the one that doesn't know what the **** he's talking about. For him to get drunk again and get behind the wheel after seeing what could happen is straight idiotic. Get a clue about life. Give Braylon a call, I'm sure you guys would get along well.

So you say I need a clue about life?

OK terrific.

Just b/c you say Braylon was with Donte when he ran that guy over does not make it true.

Get your facts straight.

Stallworth was alone when he killed that poor bastard.

He partied with a large group of people at an upscale Hotel the night before the accident.

One of those people was Edwards.

Edwards was smart enough to NOT leave the hotel. He had booked himself a room.

Stallworth left and drove to his room without incident.

2 hrs later he left to find someplace to get breakfast when he killed a pedestrian.

EDWARDS WAS NOT WITH HIM.

You could continue lying to yourself. Considering Joe Pa passed up on Namath saying basically "Joe Namath isn't a good student." I find that a nice way of saying this guy is an idiot. But no, no way a guy from the classy 60's could've been a "thug".

I guess I was a thug then too...give me a ******* break.

So you say I need a clue about life?

OK terrific.

Just b/c you say Braylon was with Donte when he ran that guy over does not make it true.

Get your facts straight.

Stallworth was alone when he killed that poor bastard.

He partied with a large group of people at an upscale Hotel the night before the accident.

One of those people was Edwards.

Edwards was smart enough to NOT leave the hotel. He had booked himself a room.

Stallworth left and drove to his room without incident.

2 hrs later he left to find someplace to get breakfast when he killed a pedestrian.

EDWARDS WAS NOT WITH HIM.

ESPN said yesterday Braylon was in the passenger seat. If I'm wrong then disregard.

I guess I was a thug then too...give me a ******* break.

So him speeding, drinking, and womanizing is totally normal behavior. The **** is the difference between that and what Braylon did. It's just clear that some of the old guard holds their athletes up in reverence as pillars of society. Please. Athletes are assholes, especially successful ones. They gotten everything out of life without being told no. Ultimately I could care less about their behavior. I cheer the product on the field and how they produce on the field. I'm not looking to be friends with these guys nor am I going to push these guys on my kid as role models. That's my job.

So him speeding, drinking, and womanizing is totally normal behavior. The **** is the difference between that and what Braylon did. It's just clear that some of the old guard holds their athletes up in reverence as pillars of society. Please. Athletes are assholes, especially successful ones. They gotten everything out of life without being told no. Ultimately I could care less about their behavior. I cheer the product on the field and how they produce on the field. I'm not looking to be friends with these guys nor am I going to push these guys on my kid as role models. That's my job.

I got news for you...the little I know of you, you wouldn't be hanging with the crowd of my generation or this generation. You seem like a well balanced type of guy if you get my drift.

Good point. Sad. Really sad. I could deal with a lot of nonsense but nothing is worth than someone who thinks they are too important to learn from their own mistakes. Selfish self entitled pricks suck. I now H8T Mevis and Braylon.

Ferguson was in the passenger seat. Gholston was in the back, buckled in the baby car seat.

He's talking about Edwards sitting shutgun when Stallworth hit a bump 2 years ago. Which I'm pretty sure is wrong - I think they were just hanging out that night.

Archived