Facebook founder donating as much as $100,000,000 to Newark schools...

SenorGato

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/blog-post/2010/09/zuckerberg_donates_100_million.html

Good man. Enjoy writing that off come tax time.

Newark is a town with alot of promise...Glad to see there are non-Newark people looking to rebuild it and I'm even more glad to see that the money is going to schools.

Now if only that money could reform the whole education system...Here's hoping they don't f up the opportunity they're getting here.

No sh*t he's donating money, after what Fincher's about to do to his public image he's going to need all the help he can get. Between that and Facebook's IPO coming within the next year or two you can probably expect to see a lot more of this.

I know that...Doesn't make it any less of a good thing. He's a businessman...he wouldn't do this if there was nothing to gain for him...I even hate Facebook with a passion...doesn't mean this ruins a perfectly good deed. Here's hoping he feels pressured to do this again and again.

Going back to the Coleman Report its been obvious that school spending has almost no relation to student performance. Whats the point of this?

$100 million is going to do a lot more than just give teachers more chalk. It could, theoretically, help re-shape the academic system in Newark.

Going back to the Coleman Report its been obvious that school spending has almost no relation to student performance. Whats the point of this?

It might have some merit if it can provide some fundamental changes to the Newark school system. Nevertheless, the school spending part is true. The poorest areas of every state almost always have the lowest standardized test scores--even when they have much more funding than comparable middle-to-upper class schools. Their socioeconomic condition does more to prohibit one's academic potential than the materials available to each individual school, in my opinion.

It might have some merit if it can provide some fundamental changes to the Newark school system. Nevertheless, the school spending part is true. The poorest areas of every state almost always have the lowest standardized test scores--even when they have much more funding than comparable middle-to-upper class schools. Their socioeconomic condition does more to prohibit one's academic potential than the materials available to each individual school, in my opinion.

Agreed. Any help is nice, but it could be done better.

I'd like one of these guys to pick a unique model like Kipp Schools, and pay poor districts to convert a few into that model. 100million could put put one such school in 20 cities.

The Coleman Report is as relevant to modern education as the Moynihan Report is to modern poverty, and charter schools are no better than public schools according to the accountability-fetish cabal's own measures. Considering the ubiquity of easy (wrong) answers and sanctimonious ignorance, it's a wonder that Zuckerberg didn't just cut a personal check to Michelle Rhee.

http://voices.washin...00_million.html

Good man. Enjoy writing that off come tax time.

Newark is a town with alot of promise...Glad to see there are non-Newark people looking to rebuild it and I'm even more glad to see that the money is going to schools.

Now if only that money could reform the whole education system...Here's hoping they don't f up the opportunity they're getting here.

So he's donating $50M then. The rest of the taxpayers are donating the other half but he'll take credit for all of it. If he was donating money just from himself he wouldn't be writing it off.

Archived