Cromartie vs. Marshall

Klecko73isGod

Now, I am not 100% familar with the Chargers coverage schemes but one would have to believe that you would primarily cover your opponent's most physically gifted receiver with your most physically gifted corner.

With that premise in mind, let's take a quick look at what Marshall has done against Cromartie in their six previous meetings:

2007 -

Game 1: 7 catches, 72 yards 41-3 Chargers

Game 2: 6 catches, 75 yards 23-3 Chargers

In Marshall's breakout 2nd year, he had what were essentially two average games for him against Cromartie as his team was outscored 64-6 in two losses to the Chargers.

2008 -

Game 1: 18 catches, 166 yards, 1 TD 39-38 Broncos

Game 2: 6 catches, 55 yards 52-21 Chargers

Marshall lit up Cromartie and Chargers on opening day and the Broncos needed every catch to pull out a one point win. If memory serves, this was the year the Chargers made the switch from primarily a man coverage scheme to a zone and they obviously paid dearly for it on opening day. However, the Chargers clearly made a nice adjustment and shut Marshall down in the second game en route to a blowout win.

2009 -

Game 1: 5 catches, 49 yards 34-23 Broncos

Game 2: 3 catches, 26 yards 32-3 Chargers

Clearly, whatever worked against Marshall in week 17 in 2008 worked even better both times these teams played in 2009 as Marshall had two of his worst games of the season against Cromartie and the Chargers in '09.

So to recap, with the exception of one game (which was his first game in a defensive scheme that did not take advantage of his skills,) Cromartie has held Marshall to an average or below average performance whenever they've played.

Something tells me we're gonna see about 5-8 catches and anywhere from 50-85 yards from Marshall on Sunday and likely no touchdowns as he's only ever scored one against a Cromartie led secondary.

Don't expect Marshall to take over this game.

On Marshall's 18 catch game, Cromartie only allowed 4 catches for 45 yds and 1 TD. He did get 3 penalties though.

BTW, I think it should go against Marshall for having 18 catches for 166 yds and only 1 TD. A WR that catches 18 balls should have way more yardage and TDs.

Marshall was a pure possession receiver that day.

On Marshall's 18 catch game, Cromartie only allowed 4 catches for 45 yds and 1 TD. He did get 3 penalties though.

BTW, I think it should go against Marshall for having 18 catches for 166 yds and only 1 TD. A WR that catches 18 balls should have way more yardage and TDs.

Marshall was a pure possession receiver that day.

IMO We'll see plenty of yellow in Cro's direction Sunday.

Now, I am not 100% familar with the Chargers coverage schemes but one would have to believe that you would primarily cover your opponent's most physically gifted receiver with your most physically gifted corner.

With that premise in mind, let's take a quick look at what Marshall has done against Cromartie in their six previous meetings:

2007 -

In Marshall's breakout 2nd year, he had what were essentially two average games for him against Cromartie as his team was outscored 64-6 in two losses to the Chargers.

2008 -

Marshall lit up Cromartie and Chargers on opening day and the Broncos needed every catch to pull out a one point win. If memory serves, this was the year the Chargers made the switch from primarily a man coverage scheme to a zone and they obviously paid dearly for it on opening day. However, the Chargers clearly made a nice adjustment and shut Marshall down in the second game en route to a blowout win.

2009 -

Clearly, whatever worked against Marshall in week 17 in 2008 worked even better both times these teams played in 2009 as Marshall had two of his worst games of the season against Cromartie and the Chargers in '09.

So to recap, with the exception of one game (which was his first game in a defensive scheme that did not take advantage of his skills,) Cromartie has held Marshall to an average or below average performance whenever they've played.

Something tells me we're gonna see about 5-8 catches and anywhere from 50-85 yards from Marshall on Sunday and likely no touchdowns as he's only ever scored one against a Cromartie led secondary.

Cromartie seems to be playing with excitement this season. I think he is much more capable of covering the big WR's over the smaller, quicker guys like edleman and welker types. He looked good against Moss and has a solid history against Marshall. I feel good about this matchup, but am ready to see Marshall get his catches and have an impact in this game.

Jets are pissed and I like it. I think we beat them handily

Cromartie seems to be playing with excitement this season. I think he is much more capable of covering the big WR's over the smaller, quicker guys like edleman and welker types. He looked good against Moss and has a solid history against Marshall. I feel good about this matchup, but am ready to see Marshall get his catches and have an impact in this game.

Jets are pissed and I like it. I think we beat them handily

I don't see it that way. It's a Divisional road playoff game and both teams can challenge the division crown. I think it's going to be pretty close.

I don't see it that way. It's a Divisional road playoff game and both teams can challenge the division crown. I think it's going to be pretty close.

The more I think about it. The more I feel we need our best out there and we don't. It's gonna be another heartbreaker like Monday night last year. Sparano knows how to play us.

Cromartie seems to be playing with excitement this season. I think he is much more capable of covering the big WR's over the smaller, quicker guys like edleman and welker types. He looked good against Moss and has a solid history against Marshall.

Getting away from the fact that he's small and white, I'd say Marshall is actually more comparable to Welker than Moss in playing style.

The second game last year we figured out what the dolphins did to us in the first game and dominated them. Anyone who thinks otherwise was not watching. We lost the game due to three very unlikely plays. I'm not removing the fact that we lost. It's all part of the game, but the chances of that happening again are slim. I, for once, feel that our coaching staff is extraordinary and will have the proper scheme in place to beat this team. The Phins are a good team, but I think the chip we have will lift us over them if what I believe to be our superior team doesn't.

I'm stickin to handily ;)

How do you figure that? He's 6'4 230 lbs. I thinka you crazy

Moss is a straight line runner, he's pretty much a one trick pony. Great matchup for Cro who runs like a gazelle but will fall over against shifty players.

Marshall is you ever watch him, is like Welker in that he's actually most effective with the ball in his hands. He wont burn a team over the top nearly to the extent Moss will but he'll get you in the short-mid range passing game, break tackles, make people miss and then make big plays downfield.

Size, yeah. He has the sort of presence than Moss would have, say at the goaline and I agree he's nothing like Welker when it comes to jump balls. But in terms of what his strengths are, he is actually more like the small white guy, crazy as it sounds.

Moss is a straight line runner, he's pretty much a one trick pony. Great matchup for Cro who runs like a gazelle but will fall over against shifty players.

Marshall is you ever watch him, is like Welker in that he's actually most effective with the ball in his hands. He wont burn a team over the top nearly to the extent Moss will but he'll get you in the short-mid range passing game, break tackles, make people miss and then make big plays downfield.

Size, yeah. He has the sort of presence than Moss would have, say at the goaline and I agree he's nothing like Welker when it comes to jump balls. But in terms of what his strengths are, he is actually more like the small white guy, crazy as it sounds.

I agree on the Moss one trick pony point, but the what I was really trying to say is that Cro matches up (IMO) better with the bigger, more physical receivers than he does with the little quick F*ckers. I think it will be a good match up with both players making impact plays for their teams, but cro can take Marshall and keep him to where he does not dominate the game. I hope that's the way it happens. I see cro as feeling like he has a new lease on life with us, and while that can be said for Marshall as well, I feel like we will will get the better of this one due to Rex being able to out plan Henning

The more I think about it. The more I feel we need our best out there and we don't. It's gonna be another heartbreaker like Monday night last year. Sparano knows how to play us.

Grow a sack and root for your team to win man. :P

We dominated them in the second game last year and lost by some fluke plays. We are gonna Kill this team. They can't score points. They scored 15 against Buffalo for Gods sakes. What are you so afraid of?

...looks around thread, opinion doesn't change.

I agree with this.

Marshall's production is the same as Welker's, they just get there differently. Welker does it by flying underneath, and Marshall does it by overpowering. Cromartie's a lousy matchup for both. Wasn't surprised to see him do well on Moss, who -as stated here- is primarily a deep threat. Cro can stride with those guys. Matched up against guys who can cut on a dime, or out-physical the average DB, Cromartie's not nearly as good. Marshall's slower than Welker, and would've been the perfect match up for for Revis. Marshall needs someone in his face, and the Jets need a tackler around him at all times. Cromartie's not good at getting in people's faces, and he's worse at tackling.

Grow a sack and root for your team to win man. :P

We dominated them in the second game last year and lost by some fluke plays. We are gonna Kill this team. They can't score points. They scored 15 against Buffalo for Gods sakes. What are you so afraid of?

If you think we're going to dominate them I'd have to say I disagree. It's going to be really close, their at home and we don't have 3 of our biggest assets on D. Additionally, who knows how long Braylon is out for.

I agree on the Moss one trick pony point, but the what I was really trying to say is that Cro matches up (IMO) better with the bigger, more physical receivers than he does with the little quick F*ckers. I think it will be a good match up with both players making impact plays for their teams, but cro can take Marshall and keep him to where he does not dominate the game. I hope that's the way it happens. I see cro as feeling like he has a new lease on life with us, and while that can be said for Marshall as well, I feel like we will will get the better of this one due to Rex being able to out plan Henning

The bigger ones? Yes. More physical? Nope.

Moss is not a physical WR. He blows by you with speed and can pick any ball out of the sky.

Marshall is a guy that will catch in and run through you and he has the ability to run by you. I really fear that matchup could kill us on Sunday if they get the ball quickly into Marshall's hands.

If you think we're going to dominate them I'd have to say I disagree. It's going to be really close, their at home and we don't have 3 of our biggest assets on D. Additionally, who knows how long Braylon is out for.

Braylon will be out only as long as the offense looks like it's struggling. No more. Rex is not a moron and knows full well this is about winning football games.

I'll tell ya man. I would absolutely LOVE to see something crazy like a flea flicker on the first play to BE. I would take off all my clothes and run through my neighborhood of Dolphin fans here in S florida yelling obscenities at the top of my lungs!!! I'll do it! I SWEAR I will!

Braylon will be out only as long as the offense looks like it's struggling. No more. Rex is not a moron and knows full well this is about winning football games.

I'll tell ya man. I would absolutely LOVE to see something crazy like a flea flicker on the first play to BE. I would take off all my clothes and run through my neighborhood of Dolphin fans here in S florida yelling obscenities at the top of my lungs!!! I'll do it! I SWEAR I will!

I would close my eyes and scream nooooooo. But really inside I'm saying YES YES YES. Like a girl on the first date. AM I RIGHT?!!

I would close my eyes and scream nooooooo. But really inside I'm saying YES YES YES. Like a girl on the first date. AM I RIGHT?!!

LOL I don't scream NOOOO until the act is a complete failure.... and the damage irreparable ;)

I'm looking for some method of completely demoralizing the Dolphins and their so called DOLPHANS!!! (worst name in all of sports)

I hope we friggin embarass the phish. Ya know... I came into work this morning and a guy from the night shift waited for me so he could yell J E T S suck suck suck at me... I just said, I wish I came in later you a$$hole! lol

I think we should be ok.

Marshall makes a lot of his catches around the middle of the field. Given how good and physical JETS safeties are i think he will not have as much success there. And if you make him into an outside the numbers receiver that's where Cro would match up very well.

I would say 3 catches for 30-40 yards no TD's is the most Marshall will have this week.

I think we should be ok.

Marshall makes a lot of his catches around the middle of the field. Given how good and physical JETS safeties are i think he will not have as much success there. And if you make him into an outside the numbers receiver that's where Cro would match up very well.

I would say 3 catches for 30-40 yards no TD's is the most Marshall will have this week.

Ok :rolleyes:

Marshall had more yards than that with 1 catch last week.

2-0 > 1-1

That's why.

Ahhhh enjoy it. 2-0 only lasts so long. Keep rubbing that one all over yourself. It's about to end. 2-1 and second place is coming really soon You beat the BILLS by a few points and Favre threw the ball all over the place because he has no WR's left. If you look at how you won, you really wouldn't be talking like you are. Which proves you are just a sh*t talker.

Enjoy the next two days

2007 -

2008 -

2009 -

Marshall is a possession guy, unless you miss a tackle on him. I recall reading that Cro had issues with the fact that they did not play bump and run much in SD. A lot of off coverage.

Ahhhh enjoy it. 2-0 only lasts so long. Keep rubbing that one all over yourself. It's about to end. 2-1 and second place is coming really soon You beat the BILLS by a few points and Favre threw the ball all over the place because he has no WR's left. If you look at how you won, you really wouldn't be talking like you are. Which proves you are just a sh*t talker.

Enjoy the next two days

And you are just like the rest of the Jets fans, making excuses and trying to rationalize why Miami is 2-0, without accepting the fact that they won those games on their own hard work, execution and effort.

I can't wait to hear the excuses when the Vikes beat you guys in a couple weeks.

And you are just like the rest of the Jets fans, making excuses and trying to rationalize why Miami is 2-0, without accepting the fact that they won those games on their own hard work, execution and effort.

I can't wait to hear the excuses when the Vikes beat you guys in a couple weeks.

I can't wait for the Jets to beat the crap out of the Dolphins on Sunday night so you'll come crashing down to reality.

No one is denying you being 2-0. But let's be real for a second. You brought up the idea that we would not be able to stop your juggernaut offense when you haven't been able tom score yet. Let's talk about that. Or do you not want to?

No one is denying you being 2-0. But let's be real for a second. You brought up the idea that we would not be able to stop your juggernaut offense when you haven't been able tom score yet. Let's talk about that. Or do you not want to?

Are we making up stuff now? When did I refer to our offense as a "juggernaut"?

I've merely been saying that Miami will come out running the ball and that with Marshall being double covered, our offense will succeed in finding open receivers/TE's.

But hey, The Sanchize and Ryan have never beaten the Phins, so I can see why you would use the term "juggernaut" while referencing Miami's offense.

Can't wait to hear what excuses you have when the JETS beat you guys this Sunday.

Archived