Jose Bautista

Matt39

To make a leap from 13 homers at 28 to 52 and counting at 29 is Ortizian, or Ariasian, depending on which way you look at it. Suspect he dissappeared into the DR last winter for some serious boli. Aslo, he's arbitration eligible for 2011 at a realtively cheap price for the Jays to keep him. Might have been a better idea to do this next years with free agency in 2012.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bautijo02.shtml

I'm not naive.

There's a chance he could be using something, but I don't have any reason to believe he did. Do you?

Here's my reason.

2006 (25 years old): 16 HR/51 RBI in 400 at bats

2007 (26 years old): 15 HR/63 RBI in 532 at bats

2008 (27 years old): 15 HR/54 RBI in 370 at bats

2009 (28 years old): 13 HR/40 RBI in 336 at bats

2010 (29 years old): 52 HR/119 RBI in 548 at bats

Here's my reason.

2006 (25 years old): 16 HR/51 RBI in 400 at bats

2007 (26 years old): 15 HR/63 RBI in 532 at bats

2008 (27 years old): 15 HR/54 RBI in 370 at bats

2009 (28 years old): 13 HR/40 RBI in 336 at bats

2010 (29 years old): 52 HR/119 RBI in 548 at bats

Players typically develop their peak seasons at age 27 or 28.

Looks like Bautista was injured those years, so he may not have been able to achieve his peak until 29, possibly.

It is not outside the realm of possibility that he is achieving this in a clean manner.

Players typically develop their peak seasons at age 27 or 28.

Looks like Bautista was injured those years, so he may not have been able to achieve his peak until 29, possibly.

It is not outside the realm of possibility that he is achieving this in a clean manner.

That may all be true.

But the only other player to make a homer jump like that at 28/29 is David Arias/Ortiz. And there's pretty much no doubt he used PEDs to help make that jump. Again I couldn't fault anyone for doing it. But it's delusional to think a 300%+ power increase just happens because of more ABs. In both cases organizations who know talent gave up on these players in their mid-20s. Something else, something chemical, was and is going on.

That may all be true.

But the only other player to make a homer jump like that at 28/29 is David Arias/Ortiz. And there's pretty much no doubt he used PEDs to help make that jump. Again I couldn't fault anyone for doing it. But it's delusional to think a 300%+ power increase just happens because of more ABs. In both cases organizations who know talent gave up on these players in their mid-20s. Something else, something chemical, was and is going on.

Davey Johnson went from 5 home runs to 43 home runs in 1973 at the age of 30.

I seriously doubt that was steroid induced.

• 7 months later...

ofcourse he's clean, nobody in baseball cheats anymore ;)

Maybe he got some stem cells like Bartolo. Or maybe regular at bats and a swing adjustment helped. Who knows. No reason to doubt him unless he pops positive. Innocent until proven guilty on that accord. At least that is the America I thought we lived in.

Maybe he got some stem cells like Bartolo. Or maybe regular at bats and a swing adjustment helped. Who knows. No reason to doubt him unless he pops positive. Innocent until proven guilty on that accord. At least that is the America I thought we lived in.

No one is saying he should go to jail. This isn't a criminal matter. He's guilty just like every other player who magically discovers how to hit for power at 30. That isn't a natural career progression.

No one is saying he should go to jail. This isn't a criminal matter. He's guilty just like every other player who magically discovers how to hit for power at 30. That isn't a natural career progression.

So he is guilty based on your assumption? I don't think we ought to lump him in with the rest because he is hitting well now. It happens. And without the help of drugs too.

So he is guilty based on your assumption? I don't think we ought to lump him in with the rest because he is hitting well now. It happens. And without the help of drugs too.

There is a difference between "hitting well" and magically learning how to hit for power after his 30th birthday...

So you're just going to convict him with no actual evidence? Is that how it works now? That's a terrible way to do things.

I have no power to convict anyone. I just know what natural and what isn't. Guys don't learn how to hit for power at 30 without help.

I have no power to convict anyone. I just know what natural and what isn't. Guys don't learn how to hit for power at 30 without help.

There are a few instances of this happening before the steroid era. I just don't know why there automatically are accusations that are completely baseless. If he popped positive on a test, sure, then we know why. I just choose to give them the benefit of the doubt.

How did Davey Johnson do it?

Just because it doesn't fit your pre-conceived notion of how things are (which is often incorrect), does not mean it can't happen.

There are a few instances of this happening before the steroid era. I just don't know why there automatically are accusations that are completely baseless. If he popped positive on a test, sure, then we know why. I just choose to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Just because it doesn't fit your pre-conceived notion of how things are (which is often incorrect), does not mean it can't happen.

You guys honestly can't fault people for thinking steroids though, can you? How many times have we seen this before? I'm not going to say Bautista is using, but if it comes out that he did, I wouldn't be surprised. You can thank the cloud of suspicion caused by the Wild West attitude of the 90's for people's baseless accusations.

You guys honestly can't fault people for thinking steroids though, can you? How many times have we seen this before? I'm not going to say Bautista is using, but if it comes out that he did, I wouldn't be surprised. You can thank the cloud of suspicion caused by the Wild West attitude of the 90's for people's baseless accusations.

he may be. But, no one should say that he DEFINITELY is. That is just as wrong.

There is definitely a reason to be suspicious, of course. That said, it shouldn't be automatically assumed that he is because there is suspicion. That's all I am saying.

I had an idea why Johnson jumped up. And the facts bear it out.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/johnsda02.shtml

Because he went from an Orioles' lineup without Frank Robinson and aging Boog Powell and Brooks Robinson as marginal power threats in spacious Memorial Park to a Braves' power-packed lineup featuring Darrell Evans, Ralph Garr and Hank Aaron in their primes and Dusty Baker coming into his own, all playing in a launching pad Atlanta Fulton County Stadium.

Archived