Ex-Jet Stars

lancemehl

With Leon taking two endzone to endzone, it adds another player to the list Jets who we've decided to break up with and have gone on to catch fire in another town:

Whatta you got?

Terrance Mathis

James Farrior

Hugh Douglas

John Vilma?

a little help

lol

Funny, they moved Farrior b/c he wasn't doing anything in a 43 and he becomes a star in a 34. They move Vilma b/c he can't play in 34 and he becomes a star (again) in 43.

Woodhead shined today. He is unfortunately going to play that Kevin Faulk role great. It's designed for him.

Word. I hope he lasts in this league...easy to root for...that's the perfect team for a Woodhead type guy too. They f*ckin love small white guys with games totally based on how tough and efficient they are.

Please note that the above characteristics are not limited to white guys. It just sells better that way.

Funny, they moved Farrior b/c he wasn't doing anything in a 43 and he becomes a star in a 34. They move Vilma b/c he can't play in 34 and he becomes a star (again) in 43.

Actually, you're mistaken. James Farrior was a classic 4-3 outside linebacker coming out of college who really didn't fit the 3-4 scheme, or so people thuoght. He played OLB in the 3-4 with the Jets and they chose not to resign him despite him making a ton of tackles in his last year with the Jets (pretty sure he led the league). Everyone thought he was best suited playing OLB in a 4-3 where his lack of size would be protected by 4 lineman upfront, and he could play to his strength, which was his speed. He then went to the Steelers and moved to ILB in the 3-4, and has been awesome since.

Actually, you're mistaken. James Farrior was a classic 4-3 outside linebacker coming out of college who really didn't fit the 3-4 scheme, or so people thuoght. He played OLB in the 3-4 with the Jets and they chose not to resign him despite him making a ton of tackles in his last year with the Jets (pretty sure he led the league). Everyone thought he was best suited playing OLB in a 4-3 where his lack of size would be protected by 4 lineman upfront, and he could play to his strength, which was his speed. He then went to the Steelers and moved to ILB in the 3-4, and has been awesome since.

No, I don't think I am. Someone can prove me wrong but Herm had him for one year in his 43, didn't like him, let him go and drafted Vilma the next year. I'm pretty sure Farrior had one year in Herm's 43 before they let him walk...i think.

I don't think he ever led the NFL in tackles as a Jet either. I know he was mostly average and then beame a star once a Steeler. At least that's what my, i'll admit, somewhat subjective SOJ memory remembers.

No, I don't think I am. Someone can prove me wrong but Herm had him for one year in his 43, didn't like him, let him go and drafted Vilma the next year. I'm pretty sure Farrior had one year in Herm's 43 before they let him walk...i think.

I don't think he ever led the NFL in tackles as a Jet either. I know he was mostly average and then beame a star once a Steeler. At least that's what my, i'll admit, somewhat subjective SOJ memory remembers.

Farrior's last year here was 2001. We drafted Vilma in 2004. The guy we picked up in 2002 was Sam Cowart, a pure 3-4 ILB in Buffalo who we moved to Farrior's 4-3 OLB position. Also of note he was fresh off a blown-out knee for the Bills, and before anyone knew if he was ever going to be even mediocre afterwards, Dumbway gave him a $30M contract or something ludicrous like that. Guy started 2 years for us and our entire starting LB corps was overhauled in 2004.

I think the guy who was theoretically drafted to replace Farrior was John Abraham in 2000. As a rookie under Groh, Abraham really mostly saw action as a down-lineman on passing downs when we went 4 across (and then of course got injured almost immediately). A year later Herm switched us to a full-time 4 man line which Abraham was far better-suited for anyway. Farrior played 1 year on that defense, actually played well, and we then decided that his FA money should instead go to Ray Mickens. Farrior was so insulted he actually took less money than the Jets offered him to play in Pittsburgh. I may be embellishing a little, but that's how I remember it.

The guy we picked up in 2002 was Sam Cowart, a pure 3-4 ILB in Buffalo who we moved to Farrior's 4-3 OLB position. Also of note he was fresh off a blown-out knee for the Bills, and before anyone knew if he was ever going to be even mediocre afterwards,

It was worse than that, he was coming off an achilles tear which if not a career ender, is a speed and mobility sapper, especially for fast LB's (see Takeo Spikes). He was Cowart in name only and never the playmaker he was with the Bills. Brilliant move. :blink:

It was worse than that, he was coming off an achilles tear which if not a career ender, is a speed and mobility sapper, especially for fast LB's (see Takeo Spikes). He was Cowart in name only and never the playmaker he was with the Bills. Brilliant move. :blink:

That rings a bell. I think you're right - it was an Achilles tear not a knee. Lower leg anyway.

For all you Nuge fans. Here is another ex Jet that has become a star elsewhwere. :lol:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-20100930_mike_nugent_named_afc_special_teams_player_of_the_month

Cincinnati Bengals kicker Mike Nugent(notes) has been named the AFC Special Teams Player of the Month.

Nugent went eight-for-eight on field goal attempts during the Bengals’ three September games, including field goals from 54 and 50 yards.

Among NFL kickers who are yet to miss a FG try, Nugent has the most total field goals by three.

On Sept. 19 vs. Baltimore, Nugent made all five of his tries, scoring all of the Bengals' points in a 15-10 win. It is the most field goals in a game this season in the NFL. That performance, along with three touchbacks on kickoffs, earned Nugent an AFC Special Teams Player of the Week award.

He has reached the end zone on nine of his 16 kickoffs, with five going for touchbacks.

Farrior's last year here was 2001. We drafted Vilma in 2004. The guy we picked up in 2002 was Sam Cowart, a pure 3-4 ILB in Buffalo who we moved to Farrior's 4-3 OLB position. Also of note he was fresh off a blown-out knee for the Bills, and before anyone knew if he was ever going to be even mediocre afterwards, Dumbway gave him a $30M contract or something ludicrous like that. Guy started 2 years for us and our entire starting LB corps was overhauled in 2004.

I think the guy who was theoretically drafted to replace Farrior was John Abraham in 2000. As a rookie under Groh, Abraham really mostly saw action as a down-lineman on passing downs when we went 4 across (and then of course got injured almost immediately). A year later Herm switched us to a full-time 4 man line which Abraham was far better-suited for anyway. Farrior played 1 year on that defense, actually played well, and we then decided that his FA money should instead go to Ray Mickens. Farrior was so insulted he actually took less money than the Jets offered him to play in Pittsburgh. I may be embellishing a little, but that's how I remember it.

Yep, Good call on the Vilma/Cowart! But to my original point and post, Farrior did play one year in a 43 before they let him walk.

But I thought Abraham's rookie year Parcells was still HC? I remember him coming on mid year too. And damn straigt JAbe would of had LT ability before he turned pussy and Herm's 43 made him a DE.

Yep, Good call on the Vilma/Cowart! But to my original point and post, Farrior did play one year in a 43 before they let him walk.

But I thought Abraham's rookie year Parcells was still HC? I remember him coming on mid year too. And damn straigt JAbe would of had LT ability before he turned pussy and Herm's 43 made him a DE.

Nope. Abe was one of the 4 first-rounders from that 2000 draft. 2 of those picks were from TB for Keyshawn I think (plus another one from NE for mumbles), and Parcells didn't dump Keyshawn until he was done coaching here.

Nope. Abe was one of the 4 first-rounders from that 2000 draft. 2 of those picks were from TB for Keyshawn I think (plus another one from NE for mumbles), and Parcells didn't dump Keyshawn until he was done coaching here.

Parcells did dump Hugh Douglas for a 4th rounder though (I believe). Pure genius.

Archived