The Jets really need an NFL free safety.

SenorGato

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a bunch of JAGs at safety...If only Rhodes hadn't been such a c-nt last year.

Got to say I agree with this. Our safeties can play the run well but they can't cover for sh*t.

The second part is not going to happen nor do I think should it happen. Cromartie as inconsistent as he is, is the Jets 2nd best corner. You'd be robbing peter to pay paul there.

I'm very happy with Brodney Pool. You didn't hear his name all game (a good thing in this case....while everyone else was getting burned he was elsewhere covering his assignments), then he came up huge on the last play of the game. Leonhard had a bit of a rough game tonight but he's also been a crucial part of our D since he arrived with Rex.

I'd love to have a playmaker at safety, but you can't have superstars at EVERY position. When Revis and Pace come back, that will erase a LOT of the issues our defense is having.

Got to say I agree with this. Our safeties can play the run well but they can't cover for sh*t.

The second part is not going to happen nor do I think should it happen. Cromartie as inconsistent as he is, is the Jets 2nd best corner. You'd be robbing peter to pay paul there.

Iunno I feel like it'd put all of the best DBs on the field at the same time and put the most athleticism on the field.

Plus, I really don't true Cromartie man to man. I keep hearing about how great he is but he's hit or miss with a ton of misses. Wilson may be struggling, but it's struggling like rookie Revis struggled in '07...it's early and I'm probably overthinking it but he just looks like more of a pro corner than Cromartie.

No because then we would have Wilson Starting. Maybe next year.

Wilson is going to get a lot of crap and I get that. But he's being baptized by fire out there. If he struggles it doesn't necessarily mean he sucks. From my perspective a lot of his problems are experience issues and not physical ones. I think he has the potential to be a pretty solid #2 cover corner for us in the future. He and Cromartie are going to continually be picked on so we'll see how well they come out of it.

Wilson is going to get a lot of crap and I get that. But he's being baptized by fire out there. If he struggles it doesn't necessarily mean he sucks. From my perspective a lot of his problems are experience issues and not physical ones. I think he has the potential to be a pretty solid #2 cover corner for us in the future. He and Cromartie are going to continually be picked on so we'll see how well they come out of it.

I'm not saying he sucks and I know he'll get better, but lets leave him at Nickel and let him learn.

I'm very happy with Brodney Pool. You didn't hear his name all game (a good thing in this case....while everyone else was getting burned he was elsewhere covering his assignments), then he came up huge on the last play of the game. Leonhard had a bit of a rough game tonight but he's also been a crucial part of our D since he arrived with Rex.

I'd love to have a playmaker at safety, but you can't have superstars at EVERY position. When Revis and Pace come back, that will erase a LOT of the issues our defense is having.

I think our defense will improve, but teams are picking up the blitz much better this year than last. We're still able to generate some pressure but not nearly to the degree as last year.

I'm not going to go back and count but the amount of 3rd and long conversions/ PI calls on 3rd and long being made against us are ridiculous. I'm just thankful that the defense has adjusted accordingly and started to drop more back into coverage instead of dialing up the all-out blitzes.

Oh sorry.

I wish I could stop being clearly, obviously wrong that no one has to explain it to me.

He's not tripping is all I'm saying...he looks like a CB who moves fluidly.

Darrelle Revis, throughout his NFL career, from day ONE has never EVER been picked on. Never.

He gave up some plays in his rookie season but all in all most people came away KNOWING that he was a truly special CB. There is no comparison to that complete meltdown Wilson had in the 2nd quarter. He was HORRIBLE, looked absolutely lost and to be honest I felt bad for him. Not saying he wont be a damn fine corner, but to compare him to the early Revis is pretty laugable. Early Revis was good. Instantly.

Pool is still hurt.

He'll be starting in a week or so and *poof* there's our FS.

Pool was introduced as the starter tonight, I'm not sure if he was in there for the first snap though. Personally, while it'd be nice to have a superstar there, I'm really happy with Pool and Eric Smith. Neither is that great but it's good depth and we can rotate them a bit more than you might usually since they're both similar enough.

Good point. Pool came up clutch.

Wilson is going to be fine all his coverage is tight he just needs to turn and look for the freakin ball but it takes a little time to learn that by reading recievers. It took Revis a little time to learn it as well and now hes the best corner in the NFL

Darrelle Revis, throughout his NFL career, from day ONE has never EVER been picked on. Never.

He gave up some plays in his rookie season but all in all most people came away KNOWING that he was a truly special CB. There is no comparison to that complete meltdown Wilson had in the 2nd quarter. He was HORRIBLE, looked absolutely lost and to be honest I felt bad for him. Not saying he wont be a damn fine corner, but to compare him to the early Revis is pretty laugable. Early Revis was good. Instantly.

Oh come on...The Pats went after him in '07 just off the top of my head...the Cowboys...It's easy to say that stuff now that Revis has been the best corner in the game for a season but it wasn't all sunshine and flowers.

And yes, I'm somehow who thought Revis was going to be awesome the second I saw him play in '07. Wilson doesn't have quite the same vibe, but you can see the work ethic and athleticism for a very good NFL cornerback.

Oh come on...The Pats went after him in '07 just off the top of my head...the Cowboys...It's easy to say that stuff now that Revis has been the best corner in the game for a season but it wasn't all sunshine and flowers.

And yes, I'm somehow who thought Revis was going to be awesome the second I saw him play in '07. Wilson doesn't have quite the same vibe, but you can see the work ethic and athleticism for a very good NFL cornerback.

The Week 1 game, they actually avoided him, all big plays came on other CB's or in zone. In the second game, the Pats did nothing and Revis got a pick. So you're making stuff up.

The Cowboys game? He had Owens shut down until the TD, which was an amazing catch and had nothing to do with Revis being lost. Wilson, is lost like 75% of the time and until he gets that sorted he can't be a starting CB. I'm sorry.

You think I'm saying this "now that Revis is the best". Look up ANY of my posts concerning Revis. I knew from DAY 1 he was a ******* good one. It was obvious.

The athleticism is there, the work ethic is probably there but right now the awareness is so far off that he really can't be trusted. Again not saying it wont come, but right now when he's playing like that? He simply can't be out there.

I think Wilson's biggest problem(s) are mental. I think he overthinks things. He needs to just learn to be himself out there and not worry about being the next Revis. I think he can cover fine, just needs some fine tuning (getting his head turned to look at the ball is the main thing). He needs to trust his athletic ability and his instincts and focus on doing the fundamentals and he will be fine.

Wilson is going to be fine all his coverage is tight he just needs to turn and look for the freakin ball but it takes a little time to learn that by reading recievers. It took Revis a little time to learn it as well and now hes the best corner in the NFL

I don't remember any learning curve for Revis.

He came out of the womb ready to cover receivers. haha (no, seriously, refresh my memory. Did he get picked on 3 years ago?)

Yes, I agree 100%. Revis was born to play corner back. We inserted him and there was no question. That's the problem here. We're so used to revis that we expect every DB to be perfect. Revis is Mariano Rivera.

As far as Wilson, He already can't be compared to revis. We are spoiled. He may be very good. Aaron Glenn was great, but he did get a little bit hazed as a rook before coming on, but we remember Revis. So, that's why we think Wilson sux, because Revis was never burnt..

Cromartie hasn't had the best 3 games of his life, but that's who he is. Braylon always played him well. He broke up a few plays, though. Week one he got picked on because of Revis Christ and wasnt ready for that. He's always in position and can still be a number one (like he was in the second half last week and shut down) Last week, he made a great play to force an interception..BY POOL, who is also a very solid safety and has been for a few years now. He just isn't flashy like "Rhodes" He does his job.

Eric Smith hits hard, but he's terrible in coverage defensing passes.

Yes, I agree 100%. Revis was born to play corner back. We inserted him and there was no question. That's the problem here. We're so used to revis that we expect every DB to be perfect. Revis is Mariano Rivera.

As far as Wilson, He already can't be compared to revis. We are spoiled. He may be very good. Aaron Glenn was great, but he did get a little bit hazed as a rook before coming on, but we remember Revis. So, that's why we think Wilson sux, because Revis was never burnt..

Cromartie hasn't had the best 3 games of his life, but that's who he is. Braylon always played him well. He broke up a few plays, though. Week one he got picked on because of Revis Christ and wasnt ready for that. He's always in position and can still be a number one (like he was in the second half last week and shut down) Last week, he made a great play to force an interception..BY POOL, who is also a very solid safety and has been for a few years now. He just isn't flashy like "Rhodes" He does his job.

Eric Smith hits hard, but he's terrible in coverage defensing passes.

That's what I'm saying. He cannot be compared to Revis, I didn't initially make the comparison.

Wilson looks bad by any standards, even when Lowery was getting burned in his rookie season he could find the ball. It's a major fundamental issue, he runs with his back to the QB 95% of the time and never gets around. He simply can't be on the field playing that way.

It can be fixed though, it should slow down for him.

Pool won us the game on the last drive.

Only guy who could tackle Marshall (prevented the TD) and made the play at the end.

He's a top safety if he can stay healthy.

I have to imagine he's still must have some lingering issues from his injury, because there is absolutely no conceivable reason Eric Smith is getting so much playing time over him. Smith is great on special teams, but the guy may be the single worst coverage player in any NFL secondary. It's a complete joke how bad he is. I've also never seen a player in my life who falls down as often as he does.

That said, if Pool gets his crap together, I'm more than happy with him as the Jets starter. As you said, two HUGE plays on that last drive from Pool. Way too many times last year that was the exact instance when the Jets defense suddenly fell apart. For a couple of moments, it almost felt like last year's first game against Miami or the game against Atlanta. Granted, they couldn't have won on the drive, but it was still a huge stand.

While I agree to an extent, Wilson is being asked a lot more of than Revis ever was his rookie year. I'm sorry, but Revis was never left alone in man coverage at any point under Mangini, nevermind the start of his rookie year. That was a change Rex made, and now he's putting all of his corners in that position. Call me crazy, but I think Wilson probably looks a bit better if he's playing with safety help on nearly every snap.

For a couple of moments, it almost felt like last year's first game against Miami

For a couple? Felt like that from the second Miami got back in it until the 4th down stop. Same crap from the defense, same brilliance from Sanchez and the same homosexual atmosphere that Miami embraces.

Archived