The Jets really need an NFL free safety.

SenorGato

While I agree to an extent, Wilson is being asked a lot more of than Revis ever was his rookie year. I'm sorry, but Revis was never left alone in man coverage at any point under Mangini, nevermind the start of his rookie year. That was a change Rex made, and now he's putting all of his corners in that position. Call me crazy, but I think Wilson probably looks a bit better if he's playing with safety help on nearly every snap.

True enough, although what bothers me about WIlson is that it's the fundamentals that he's ******* up. I don't know if he's panicking or what, he needs to know where the ball is at some point or he'll be getting like 3-4 flags every game.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pool won us the game on the last drive.

Only guy who could tackle Marshall (prevented the TD) and made the play at the end.

He's a top safety if he can stay healthy.

I agree.

Furthermore, we don't need a "top safety." Where is it written that we need to have a superstar at every position?

We just need a guy that can do his job. Pool is that guy.

I won't be surprised at all if Wilson is starting over Cromartie by season's end. He's still learning, but he's physical and blankets his man - he just needs to turn around so that it's good coverage and not pass interference. That will come as the game slows down for him.

Cromartie would be like a pussified Rhodes at FS, if you can imagine such a thing. Just a terrible idea. You need an enforcer back there, not another daisy.

Cro claims to prefer man coverage, but there aren't many men he matches up well with. I think he's better suited as a third CB in a zone, athletically, but I really don't know if he's bright enough to handle that job.

Jets haven't drafted a safety since eric Smith in 2006, and haven't taken one in the first couple rounds since Jon McGraw. They're probably due.

We may see Lowery move over there once Revis is back full-time. He seems a half-step too slow or too late at corner and often is running right with his man but can't make that last adjustment to prevent a completion (which is what we've seen a lot of with Wilson in particular). Most safeties would be 1-2 steps behind in pure man coverage. But if his job is to be help rather than being put on an island he may be quite good, and he does have pretty good hands for a DB.

Keep in mind he's still pretty young himself; this is the start of year 3 for him and the league is littered with starters who didn't "get it" until years 4-5 into their careers. Also, there are lots of starting safeties that would be total disasters if they were moved to being CBs in man coverage. Probably most of them at that.

We may see Lowery move over there once Revis is back full-time. He seems a half-step too slow or too late at corner and often is running right with his man but can't make that last adjustment to prevent a completion (which is what we've seen a lot of with Wilson in particular). Most safeties would be 1-2 steps behind in pure man coverage. But if his job is to be help rather than being put on an island he may be quite good, and he does have pretty good hands for a DB.

Keep in mind he's still pretty young himself; this is the start of year 3 for him and the league is littered with starters who didn't "get it" until years 4-5 into their careers. Also, there are lots of starting safeties that would be total disasters if they were moved to being CBs in man coverage. Probably most of them at that.

Many of us (myself included) have been saying this since Lowery was a rook. He's better suited to play safety than CB and could probably contribute a lot more from the position. It would be a great call.

Iunno I feel like it'd put all of the best DBs on the field at the same time and put the most athleticism on the field.

Plus, I really don't true Cromartie man to man. I keep hearing about how great he is but he's hit or miss with a ton of misses. Wilson may be struggling, but it's struggling like rookie Revis struggled in '07...it's early and I'm probably overthinking it but he just looks like more of a pro corner than Cromartie.

Revis never came close to "struggling" in his rookie year like Kyle Wilson has "struggled" so far. Revis wasn't superman in 2007 but he played 100x better than Wilson.

I think he would have been there already if not for the Revis holdout and alleged injury.

:rolleyes:

Lowery is good DB depth, and the fact that he can play some corner makes him a good CB to have. In nickel & dime sets, they can call him whatever they like. However, right now he's probably an option to start at CB over Wilson until Revis gets back.

Lowery has good ball skills, but I really don't see him as a starting safety.

Lowery is good DB depth, and the fact that he can play some corner makes him a good CB to have. In nickel & dime sets, they can call him whatever they like. However, right now he's probably an option to start at CB over Wilson until Revis gets back.

For years I doubt anyone saw Leonhard as a starting safety either.

I'm not saying he is either. Only that his skills seem better suited there because of his lack of top-end speed or change-of-direction quickness. But if he only has to be in the area where a receiver is running, and has a nice head-start (not having to keep with his man for the full pattern) he might be quite good. Hey, he also may be a disaster. But right now I think he's still only at CB because of Revis.

+1. Whenever someone doesn't work out at CB because of a lack of cover skills/speed/whatever, it's automatically assumed that the guy can be moved to safety seamlessly. It doesn't work like that. Maybe Lowery can play safety, maybe he can't, but he doesn't strike me as a guy who's going to be able to consistently handle the physicallity of playing in the box, covering TEs, etc. I'm sure, like it's been said over and over again, that he can play "safety" in nickel/dime/quarter packages, but the idea that he's going to be an every down DB at any position, specifically safety, is wishful thinking.

The Week 1 game, they actually avoided him, all big plays came on other CB's or in zone. In the second game, the Pats did nothing and Revis got a pick. So you're making stuff up.

The Cowboys game? He had Owens shut down until the TD, which was an amazing catch and had nothing to do with Revis being lost. Wilson, is lost like 75% of the time and until he gets that sorted he can't be a starting CB. I'm sorry.

You think I'm saying this "now that Revis is the best". Look up ANY of my posts concerning Revis. I knew from DAY 1 he was a ******* good one. It was obvious.

The athleticism is there, the work ethic is probably there but right now the awareness is so far off that he really can't be trusted. Again not saying it wont come, but right now when he's playing like that? He simply can't be out there.

^^^^ Exactly what he said.

+1. Whenever someone doesn't work out at CB because of a lack of cover skills/speed/whatever, it's automatically assumed that the guy can be moved to safety seamlessly. It doesn't work like that. Maybe Lowery can play safety, maybe he can't, but he doesn't strike me as a guy who's going to be able to consistently handle the physicallity of playing in the box, covering TEs, etc. I'm sure, like it's been said over and over again, that he can play "safety" in nickel/dime/quarter packages, but the idea that he's going to be an every down DB is absurd.

I don't see why it's absurd. If I were to tell you Leonhard would be able to handle it, before he was asked to, you would have given the same answer.

And the thought isn't because of a lack of cover skills. His cover skills aren't really that bad; it's more his speed/quickness. His problem seems to be being a split-second behind when manning up on quicker/faster WR's. But most safeties in the league would be the same way. How would Kerry Rhodes - who doesn't exactly hit like a linebacker himself - look at CB? He might need to bulk up a little if he was to ever start. I'm not saying there's any likelihood he would be a starting safety, but I wouldn't call it absurd.

I don't see why it's absurd. If I were to tell you Leonhard would be able to handle it, before he was asked to, you would have given the same answer.

And the thought isn't because of a lack of cover skills. His cover skills aren't really that bad; it's more his speed/quickness. His problem seems to be being a split-second behind when manning up on quicker/faster WR's. But most safeties in the league would be the same way. How would Kerry Rhodes - who doesn't exactly hit like a linebacker himself - look at CB? He might need to bulk up a little if he was to ever start. I'm not saying there's any likelihood he would be a starting safety, but I wouldn't call it absurd.

When Lowery came out, I remember the talk being that he'd be a good safety prospect largely for the reasons you're citing. But instead, he's turned out to be a serviceable CB. As the more difficult position, it makes sense to just keep him there. The only reason to move him to safety would be if they saw him as a potential upgrade, and I don't see that.

I don't remember any learning curve for Revis.

He came out of the womb ready to cover receivers. haha (no, seriously, refresh my memory. Did he get picked on 3 years ago?)

NE sent Randy Moss on a go route in one of the first plays during Revis's rookie year. Revis (and Rhodes) was toasted.

I have to imagine he's still must have some lingering issues from his injury, because there is absolutely no conceivable reason Eric Smith is getting so much playing time over him. Smith is great on special teams, but the guy may be the single worst coverage player in any NFL secondary. It's a complete joke how bad he is. I've also never seen a player in my life who falls down as often as he does.

That said, if Pool gets his crap together, I'm more than happy with him as the Jets starter. As you said, two HUGE plays on that last drive from Pool. Way too many times last year that was the exact instance when the Jets defense suddenly fell apart. For a couple of moments, it almost felt like last year's first game against Miami or the game against Atlanta. Granted, they couldn't have won on the drive, but it was still a huge stand.

This. Dont know what the uproar is about. Pool came up big in 2 straight divisional games. Cant complain at all. He's seems a little late on coverage sometimes, but I think familiarity with the system will help him work that out. Rex runs a complex system and it puts a ton of pressure on his secondary. There is a learning curve and in 2 games, I'd actually say Pool is ahead of the curve.

Leonhard has been struggling but thats to be expected. He's the general of our secondary and with Mevis being a pusswah, he's having to direct a chump in Cro, a rookie in Wilson and a first year safety in the system in Pool. Once we get some stability back there, Leonhard will be fine and so will Pool.

Eric Smith is absolutely the worst coverage safety I've ever seen in my life and really hope he doesnt see the field anymore unless its 100% a running play. He's been outstanding on ST's but he really shouldnt see the field as a safety, he's that bad. Much rather see Lowery back there...much rather see more Lowery all together because he's not nearly as bad as many make him out to be, but I understand that Wilson is a better talent and needs to learn. Wilson will be fine. He got some flaws, but they are correctable.

2 things are going to help our secondary, 1) consistency. We havent had all our starters out on the field at the same time yet 2) Calvin Pace, he's our best pass rusher by far.

When Lowery came out, I remember the talk being that he'd be a good safety prospect largely for the reasons you're citing. But instead, he's turned out to be a serviceable CB. As the more difficult position, it makes sense to just keep him there. The only reason to move him to safety would be if they saw him as a potential upgrade, and I don't see that.

Or if Pool makes it through the whole year, does a good job, and then wants $6M per on a new deal. That would also be a reason.

Or if Pool makes it through the whole year, does a good job, and then wants $6M per on a new deal. That would also be a reason.

More likely that Pool is with the team next year than Cromartie, IMHO.

In the meantime, I think Lowery is more valuable as the 4th CB than the 4th safety.

Jets are due to draft a safety, too. It's been a while.

6M? Seriously? This is like when you projected D'Brick's demand at 15M per. You're just making these numbers up.

6M? Seriously? This is like when you projected D'Brick's demand at 15M per. You're just making these numbers up.

You can't read, can you?

Pool making an insane demand like $6M, however unlikely, would be a reason to see if Lowery was an option to start at safety. This is all I was saying. There was no opinion weighed as to the likelihood of such a demand, and I certainly don't recall projecting Ferguson at $15M per season. If you can find where I said that then let me know. Until then, you're the one making numbers up.

You can't read, can you?

Pool making an insane demand like $6M, however unlikely, would be a reason to see if Lowery was an option to start at safety. This is all I was saying. There was no opinion weighed as to the likelihood of such a demand, and I certainly don't recall projecting Ferguson at $15M per season. If you can find where I said that then let me know. Until then, you're the one making numbers up.

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=88836 is nice because you actually bid yourself up from 12 to 15 over the course of the thread. Of course, you couch it in 'if' there, too -- I'm guessing this is why -- but the whole 'if something that is clearly never going to happen were in fact to happen, then...' thing is an even dumber than the fake numbers.

http://www.jetnation...showtopic=88836 is nice because you actually bid yourself up from 12 to 15 over the course of the thread. Of course, you couch it in 'if' there, too -- I'm guessing this is why -- but the whole 'if something that is clearly never going to happen were in fact to happen, then...' thing is an even dumber than the fake numbers.

LOL You are so full of crap it's unreal. Nowhere in that thread did I project D'Brick's demands to be $15M, as you claimed, or even $12M.

It was what a what if a demand was made, grossly above the player's value. Same thing with an exaggeration of Pool above. If you can't pick up on that then it's on you.

There's a bunch of JAGs at safety...If only Rhodes hadn't been such a c-nt last year.

Think when Revis (confidence) and Pace (foot) are healthy they'll give Cromartie a look at FS? He could do really well there IMO...

Bro Brodney Pool is a good football player. Give gime him some time. Game winning pass deflection and a INT in 2 games with the Jets. He's still learning. Guy is a hoss.

Wilson is good. I think he'll be a fine starter by the end of the season. I agree with the Revis-Mariano analogy, but even more than that, Revis was very good, but things were much different in '07. Revis wasn't infallible then. Mangini played a much safer D than Rex. He gave safety help and expected DBs to keep the WR in front on most plays. Wilson is expected to man up and the blitz has not been getting there. Also, the Jets blew donkeys in '07. Teams didn't have to pass because they were kicking our a$$. I think the Jets had more rushing carries against than any other team in '07. It's not like these days when nobody can run on us and we are ahead in every game. Teams must put it in the air to win now.

IMO Cromartie is a sh*tty choice for S. He doesn't hit or even tackle and he specifically DOES NOT PLAY WELL IN ZONE D. That's the reason we are supposed to see improvement over his time in SD. Being big and fast doesn't mean he can play S.

IMO, Lowery will be a decent rotational S. He plays well facing the QB, is an excellent film room guy and has had some success there in college. A bunch of us (SFJ, Villian) have been saying this all along. Plenty of people saw Lowery as a good fit for a cover 2 or as S and a bad fit as straight man CB. I'm not convinced he'll be a valid full-time safety, but using him as a passing down S and Ihedigbo or Smith on running downs seems sensible and likely to be successful.

I like Pool and think he'll be fine, but a FAST safety to cover some ground in CF would be a sweet addition in the draft next year. Whether we can get one will depend on who we are losing and if we need to replace any O linemen.

This. Dont know what the uproar is about. Pool came up big in 2 straight divisional games. Cant complain at all. He's seems a little late on coverage sometimes, but I think familiarity with the system will help him work that out. Rex runs a complex system and it puts a ton of pressure on his secondary. There is a learning curve and in 2 games, I'd actually say Pool is ahead of the curve.

Leonhard has been struggling but thats to be expected. He's the general of our secondary and with Mevis being a pusswah, he's having to direct a chump in Cro, a rookie in Wilson and a first year safety in the system in Pool. Once we get some stability back there, Leonhard will be fine and so will Pool.

Eric Smith is absolutely the worst coverage safety I've ever seen in my life and really hope he doesnt see the field anymore unless its 100% a running play. He's been outstanding on ST's but he really shouldnt see the field as a safety, he's that bad. Much rather see Lowery back there...much rather see more Lowery all together because he's not nearly as bad as many make him out to be, but I understand that Wilson is a better talent and needs to learn. Wilson will be fine. He got some flaws, but they are correctable.

2 things are going to help our secondary, 1) consistency. We havent had all our starters out on the field at the same time yet 2) Calvin Pace, he's our best pass rusher by far.

I wouldn't even say that Leonhard has struggled. He has more on his plate than ever, that's all.

I remember seeing a video clip after week 1, with a bunch of highlights of Kyle Wilson. There was about four plays where Wilson couldn't make the tackle and BOOM! Leonhard shows up a half a second later and wraps it up. That's what you want out of your safety, he's got the back of more vulnerable players. Leonhard IS the general out there, he's also a sure tackler and hits way harder than Kerry Rhodes.

LOL You are so full of crap it's unreal. Nowhere in that thread did I project D'Brick's demands to be $15M, as you claimed, or even $12M.

It was what a what if a demand was made, grossly above the player's value. Same thing with an exaggeration of Pool above. If you can't pick up on that then it's on you.

Okay. What if we're playing in the Super Bowl and right before Sanchez takes a snap out of the shotgun spread a piece of the Jerrytron falls out of the sky and anvils him? What's our audible? What if there's a lightning storm and somehow Rex's and Schottenheimer's brains get switched into each other's body? Now what's your plan? Because, after all, such stupidly implausible contingencies do bear discussion, right? Hypothetical bullsh*t is still bullsh*t.

Okay. What if we're playing in the Super Bowl and right before Sanchez takes a snap out of the shotgun spread a piece of the Jerrytron falls out of the sky and anvils him? What's our audible? What if there's a lightning storm and somehow Rex's and Schottenheimer's brains get switched into each other's body? Now what's your plan? Because, after all, such stupidly implausible contingencies do bear discussion, right? Hypothetical bullsh*t is still bullsh*t.

Dude, I think he is exaggerating the number so that we don't have 20 responses saying "just pay him". If the guy is asking for a ridiculous number we have to replace him. OTOH, we can keep fighting about this. Might as well. Penny is gone and Schottenheimer is doing a decent job.

Archived