LaDainian Tomlinson vs. Thomas Jones

Jetsfan80

Through 3 games:

Thomas Jones: 52 carries, 217 yards (4.2 ypc), 1 TD.....2 catches, 6 yards

LaDainian Tomlinson: 37 carries, 208 yards (5.6 ypc), 1 TD....9 catches, 60 yards

And in order to remove the variable "well the Jets have a better line", note that Jamaal Charles has 34 carries for 238 yards (7.0 ypc), a TD, and 92 receiving yards on 5 catches. For some ungodly reason, Todd Haley seems to be using Jones more than Charles, possibly trying to get every bit of juice out of him before Charles runs rampant later in the season.

note that Jamaal Charles has 34 carries for 238 yards (7.0 ypc), a TD, and 92 receiving yards on 5 catches. For some ungodly reason, Todd Haley seems to be using Jones more than Charles, possibly trying to get every bit of juice out of him before Charles runs rampant later in the season.

And it's pissing me off as I have Charles on my fantasy team =/

Through 3 games:

LaDainian Tomlinson: 37 carries, 208 yards (5.6 ypc), 1 TD....9 catches, 60 yards

And in order to remove the variable "well the Jets have a better line", note that Jamaal Charles has 34 carries for 238 yards (7.0 ypc), a TD, and 92 receiving yards on 5 catches. For some ungodly reason, Todd Haley seems to be using Jones more than Charles, possibly trying to get every bit of juice out of him before Charles runs rampant later in the season.

Haley is a dope. The Chiefs have been winning however so he won't change the formula, despite the fact that they have been winning in spite of the offense.

LT21 = HOFer...arguably the greatest RB of all time...that's highly debatable and we can do that later one day.

Thomas Jones = Good back who gets to bang Meagan Good.

Thomas Jones' only advantage over LT is that he doesn't have kids and isn't married. Too bad that doesn't have anything to do with football.

Through 3 games:

Never really liked TJ, he was an average player taking advantage of a great situation. But I appreciate what he did for us, he was a good leader and produced. Dont know why people hate on him so much.

I couldn't have been more wrong about LT. He's already one of my favorite Jets.

Me too. I thought he was washed up. He's not. He's still got it. Not the player he once was, but still top notch. He makes us a better offense than we were with TJ because of his versatility. Hopefully he doesnt break down at the end of the year. We really need Greene to step it up. So far I've seen nothing but humbleness, and no pusswah. I'll eat that crow.

Leon Washington was getting more ypc than TJ until that his last year when they started giving him more carries and suddenly TJ had a better ypc. My point is that if Jamaal Charles had the same number of carries his ypc would prolly go down. 4.2 yards a pop isn't bad, he doesn't fumble and he's eating up carries. I don't see why the Chiefs should go away from this. Especially when TJ tends to peak around mid season.

Adrian Peterson is still the most talented back by a distance.

That's quite a claim. Most would at least say it is close.

Personally I think CJ2k is quite a bit better. He never fumbles the ball and he's just impossible to completely stop it feels like. Every time he gets the ball you have to hold your breath. He reminds me a lot of Barry Sanders, although CJ2k gets more positive yardage runs, whereas I think Sanders was even more of a breakaway threat. If you think Emmit is the better back over Sanders I can understand liking AP better too, but I personally just think CJ2k is the most talented player in the league by a considerable margin.

If the Titans offered me CJ for AP straight up I'd jump all over that.

That's quite a claim. Most would at least say it is close.

Personally I think CJ2k is quite a bit better. He never fumbles the ball and he's just impossible to completely stop it feels like. Every time he gets the ball you have to hold your breath. He reminds me a lot of Barry Sanders, although CJ2k gets more positive yardage runs, whereas I think Sanders was even more of a breakaway threat. If you think Emmit is the better back over Sanders I can understand liking AP better too, but I personally just think CJ2k is the most talented player in the league by a considerable margin.

If the Titans offered me CJ for AP straight up I'd jump all over that.

In terms of talent I'm talking about their ceiling so to speak (So I'd factor out the fumbles) and in terms of all round ability I'd take Peterson quite significantly over Johnson who is just lightning fast. He's incredibly effective but if AP was in the same team I think he'd hit 2,000 too, assuming he could stay healthy. Peterson has great speed, power, burst, EVERYTHING. What he lacks more than anything is blocking. The Vikings O-line is the most overrated group in the league at run blocking and AP makes them look good more often than not.

In terms of talent I'm talking about their ceiling so to speak (So I'd factor out the fumbles) and in terms of all round ability I'd take Peterson quite significantly over Johnson who is just lightning fast. He's incredibly effective but if AP was in the same team I think he'd hit 2,000 too, assuming he could stay healthy. Peterson has great speed, power, burst, EVERYTHING. What he lacks more than anything is blocking. The Vikings O-line is the most overrated group in the league at run blocking and AP makes them look good more often than not.

Well I'd give the receiving edge to CJ as well. I've also seen AP stopped a lot more than CJ, and CJ has no passing game to speak of. Everyone and their mother knows he's the only threat on the Titans and it doesn't even seem to matter.

Well I'd give the receiving edge to CJ as well. I've also seen AP stopped a lot more than CJ, and CJ has no passing game to speak of. Everyone and their mother knows he's the only threat on the Titans and it doesn't even seem to matter.

Playing with a scrambling QB helps a ton.

Watch how well McCoy will run with Vick keeping guys outside all season.

Through 3 games:

Hes (Haley) keeping his backs fresh and hes 3-0 not much to see here other than a smart coach.

The big difference for us is LT gives us another dimention Jones could not, he gives us the pass catching back who can keep defenses honest, something we have not had in a while. LT is also much quicker hitting the hole. If LT was our feature back his numbers would be huge but that would not be smart becuase it would effect us come playoff time when will need him to be fresh.

That's ignoring that the reason Thomas Jones is good is NOT because of his YPC average. There's more to being a running back than that.

Are you inferring that TJ does something that LT does not? Such as? Blocking? Catching passes? Fumbling?

There is nothing, NOTHING, that TJ does better than LT as a running back.

prolly not?

There is no prolly not or probably not about it. There is zero chance. Zero.

His only shot would be if he someday became a great head coach (lol) and then made it in that way.

lol i didnt check his numbers so i didnt wanna say that. Had to cover my self just in case.

Are you inferring that TJ does something that LT does not? Such as? Blocking? Catching passes? Fumbling?

There is nothing, NOTHING, that TJ does better than LT as a running back.

In a vacuum, no. Past few years? Quite possibly.

Jones can consistently take the rock 30 times per game, and with almost zero chance that he will cough it up. Is his YPC going to be low? Well, yes, obviously. How are you going to keep a high average with that many carries per game unless you're Chris Johnson or something. But again, there's a hell of a lot more to a running back than YPC, or catching passes for that matter. I don't get the obsession with pass catching, it's nice, but it's a luxury. Give me a back that will get me 3 yards and a cloud of dust over and over again any day.

I mean, it's ridiculous that Jones can be viewed SO negatively at this point when he led the AFC in yards and carries. He's a warrior. Flashy doesn't always win you games.

Jones can consistently take the rock 30 times per game, and with almost zero chance that he will cough it up. Is his YPC going to be low? Well, yes, obviously. How are you going to keep a high average with that many carries per game unless you're Chris Johnson or something. But again, there's a hell of a lot more to a running back than YPC, or catching passes for that matter. I don't get the obsession with pass catching, it's nice, but it's a luxury. Give me a back that will get me 3 yards and a cloud of dust over and over again any day.

I mean, it's ridiculous that Jones can be viewed SO negatively at this point when he led the AFC in yards and carries. He's a warrior. Flashy doesn't always win you games.

He also leads the league in grit.

LT has carried teams toting the ball 30 times a game and actually delivering TDs and yards without fumbling.

That is like saying there's more to being a QB than throwing TDs and leading scoring drives. There is no planet that Chad Pennington is a better QB in any facet of the game than Peyton Manning. Likewise Thomas Jones does nothing better than LT and isn't even half the back LT was and is.

First off, pass catching is hardly a luxury. If he can't catch - and Jones can't unless he stops running altogether - then the QB has no checkdown option that can still gain a first down. Might as well just throw the ball away 100% of the time.

Consistently take the rock 30 times per game? Oh please. How many times do you think he's done that in his entire career? Answer = 4. He's averaged over 20 attempts per game for a season exactly twice: once in 2005 and the other time was last year.

3 yards and a cloud of dust? He had under 3 yards per in 5 of his last 6 games here. When Greene got knocked out of the game we were toast with only Jones to hand off to. So we told him to take a pay cut or get lost and we'll find someone else. He chose the latter.

Your theory about ypc for high numbers of carries also flies in the face of what players like Jones himself say. That they need 10-15 carries to get "warmed up" and then they do better. But according to you, if he only had 10-15 carries per game (or less) then his ypc would actually be higher. If what you say is true, though, then only a great fool would give the same player 20-30 times per game; one would always be better off splitting carries among 2 or even 3 RB's to preserve the higher ypc of each one individually and, in turn, the team as a whole. Carrying 30 times would be like a silly and useless badge of honor for the individual but detrimental to the team's production.

I never had any doubt that LT would be able to run through the same gigantic holes that Jones did. He had no holes the last couple years in San Diego. Even Sproles couldn't crack 4 YPC last season. What has surprised me has been Tomlinson's explosiveness. LT at 31 is better than the Dancing Bear at 27, or however old he was when we made that terrible trade.

Archived