18 Game Season is Official

PhinHater

Hallelujah. Probably the biggest drawback, in all the years of season ticket packages and PSL's etc..., is that at the end of the day you're still stick paying for tickets to two games you don't want. This is a start.

As for the players? Tough titties. You're making millions playing a game. Deal with it.

+1

Don't like it. Play golf.

Hard for me to believe that they will make a decision on an 18 game season till there is a new CBA and a definite season next year. How can they agree on something like that when player revenue is in question?

Good point. This could be the compromise both sides were looking for, as with 2 additional games revenues should go up and the players should see a nice boost in salary and salary caps to accommodate the increase in games. I'd imagine that all existing contracts would be increased to reflect the additional games.

I would also suggest an expanded roster. Personally I think this is a bad idea. The level of play got so bad around Weeks 16 and 17 and teams would sit out starters. Nobody really wants to watch a Rams-Lions game at that point in the season, and there are plenty of eliminated teams by then. A 14 game schedule made more sense. It looks like the NFL will not be happy until they overexpose the sport and begin a decline for it.

Say goodbye to any chance a team has a perfect season the moment this comes into effect. Also, be prepared for some truly ugly games early in the season with only 2 preseason games. Not only that, but it increases the likelihood of preseason injuries, it doesn't decrease it. Teams will need to keep their starters in there into the 2nd or 3rd quarter to make sure they're good to go. Also, more of the evaluation of the fringe roster players will come during camp rather than preseason game action.

I would also suggest an expanded roster. Personally I think this is a bad idea. The level of play got so bad around Weeks 16 and 17 and teams would sit out starters. Nobody really wants to watch a Rams-Lions game at that point in the season, and there are plenty of eliminated teams by then. A 14 game schedule made more sense. It looks like the NFL will not be happy until they overexpose the sport and begin a decline for it.

I agree with all of this.

The 18 game schedule makes every game a little less meaningful. And the end of the year could get real ugly with a few teams clinching early. Injuries.

Preseason sucks for the fans, but it's critical for young undrafted guys trying to make a football team. The players will want a lot on return, I think, and we'll see how much the owners really want this (I think the answer is: a lot). But if all contracts increase by 12.5% and teams get expanded rosters, where's the cap going to go for the first year of this? Up another 15-18%? They're crying poverty now, I don't see how those two additional games help them that much financially. They help, but that much?

I don't see a huge amount of upside for anyone. The 17-game season, with every team playing one game at a neutral site made more sense to me.

I agree with all of this.

The 18 game schedule makes every game a little less meaningful. And the end of the year could get real ugly with a few teams clinching early. Injuries.

Preseason sucks for the fans, but it's critical for young undrafted guys trying to make a football team. The players will want a lot on return, I think, and we'll see how much the owners really want this (I think the answer is: a lot). But if all contracts increase by 12.5% and teams get expanded rosters, where's the cap going to go for the first year of this? Up another 15-18%? They're crying poverty now, I don't see how those two additional games help them that much financially. They help, but that much?

I don't see a huge amount of upside for anyone. The 17-game season, with every team playing one game at a neutral site made more sense to me.

I think the idea is that existing contracts do not go up 12.5%.

Archived