Rams grab Chauncey Washington from Jets

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

95% Wah, wah, wah. When did Chauncey Washington become a big deal? The only reason we were supposed to care about him was as a just in case LT is finished, well LT isn't so screw this los

Yep, one bad preseason is enough to judge a guy's entire career.

Every Wideout we have other than Cotchery is a Free Agent or Restricted Free agent this year (depending on CBA). Having a developmental guy around isn't a bad idea. In one breathe you complain ab

How do you even know that ?

How do you know a RB can grasp zone blocking schemes that JETS usually employ and play immediately ?

I don't. Do you have any idea that Chauncey Washington can do those things? The Jets didn't seem to think he could. I'm not big on Hard Knocks quotes, but here is one from the end of camp:

Washington was given the game-ball--- However, RB Anthony Lynn says he's struggling with learning the system, but is working very hard and provides the Jets with a lot of versatility (something Rex loves).

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2010/9/9/1677941/hard-knocks-episode-5-recap-the

The guy was with the team since December and still struggling with learning the system at the end of the preseason. Sounds like he wasn't plug and play.

I got it that you never said that I said that we should cut McKnight.

The fact that you cannot let go of that. That's the troll script! Or you just a ole ole man!! :P

You only stated you never said that like 3 or 4 times!

What's that make you? :huh:

shhhh, that was sarcasm!!!

It was fail, none the less!

Ahh the wit!!!

Seriously, i do not know. How do you know for a fact ?

The fact is they did not protect him!

You want to see that as incompetence, go right ahead.

I did not see anything that special from Chauncey Washington to believe that.

What were his pre-season stats again? :blink:

I don't. Do you have any idea that Chauncey Washington can do those things? The Jets didn't seem to think he could. I'm not big on Hard Knocks quotes, but here is one from the end of camp:

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2010/9/9/1677941/hard-knocks-episode-5-recap-the

The guy was with the team since December and still struggling with learning the system at the end of the preseason. Sounds like he wasn't plug and play.

If i am in a situation where we need a 3rd RB to step up i would rather take my chances with someone who has been in the system for 10 months than someone who has been here for 1 week!

If i am in a situation where we need a 3rd RB to step up i would rather take my chances with someone who has been in the system for 10 months than someone who has been here for 1 week!

"How do you know for a fact" that the guy would not grasp more in one week, than Chauncey could not grasp in 10 months. :rolleyes:

Edited by The Brooklyn Jet

McKnight has been here for five months. Whoever they get in Washington's place would be here for one week, but you can't keep everybody and you are dealing with a team that is/was thin at WR. They needed the bodies at WR and don't need them at RB. You are worried about guys you need in case of injury, but they have guys they needed this week.

"How do you know for a fact" that the guy would not grasp more in one week, than Chauncey could not grasp in 10 months. :rolleyes:

The hardest thing a RB gets asked to do -as far as knowing the system is concerned- is picking up blitzes. Otherwise, taking handoffs is one of the easiest things an NFL player can walk in and do right off the bat. Danny Woodhead scored a TD for the Pats 10 days after he signed with the team. It's not rocket science.

If LT or Greene were to get hurt, the other one would pick up most of the slack.

Brad Smith can take reps at RB. So can eirther of their FB's. Joe McKnight could conceivably be activated and he could carry the football, too. The Jets have options. A lot of them. Including raiding someone else's practice squad.

• Upvote 1

McKnight has been here for five months. Whoever they get in Washington's place would be here for one week, but you can't keep everybody and you are dealing with a team that is/was thin at WR. They needed the bodies at WR and don't need them at RB. You are worried about guys you need in case of injury, but they have guys they needed this week.

Even McKnight was not needed this week. He was not on the active roster!

Did all the 3 backup TE's play ( I do not know) ? Input please.

The hardest thing a RB gets asked to do -as far as knowing the system is concerned- is picking up blitzes. Otherwise, taking handoffs is one of the easiest things an NFL player can walk in and do right off the bat. Danny Woodhead scored a TD for the Pats 10 days after he signed with the team. It's not rocket science.

If LT or Greene were to get hurt, the other one would pick up most of the slack.

Brad Smith can take reps at RB. So can eirther of their FB's. Joe McKnight could conceivably be activated and he could carry the football, too. The Jets have options. A lot of them. Including raiding someone else's practice squad.

I was not disagreeing with any of this. :huh:

I think Danny is a good 3rd RB and a very versatile player.

But his performance against the Bills is not much to go by b/c the Bills suck defending the run.

And buying into the zone blocking schemes had a little more learning curve that other schemes. And that's what the JETS usually employ. So just signing someone from somebody's PS will not necessarily work out!

I do not think that McKnight is ready to play right now. Not with positive results. And that's just my opinion.

Brad Smith is very effective with the wild cat. But has he ever carried the ball 15-20 times a game for several weeks ? In college or the NFL ?

Edited by JetsFanInDenver
Brad Smith is very effective with the wild cat. But has he ever carried the ball 15-20 times a games for several weeks ?

He wouldn't have to. Like I posted, the Jets have a lot of options running the ball should they lose either of their #1 RB's.

Brad gets a couple more carries, the FB's get a couple carries, the Jets throw the ball more - maybe running some screens or slants for a safe few yards.

Chauncey Washington was not going to save their season. If Greene or LT went down, those (really 10-15) touches would largely be redistributed amongst the other #1 RB, Brad Smith, Dustin Keller, Braylon Edwards, and Santonio Holmes. It would be very, very far from the end of the world.

Chauncey was on the practice squad, and survived there for a few weeks, because he's nothing special. Really.

Even McKnight was not needed this week. He was not on the active roster!

Did all the 3 backup TE's play ( I do not know) ? Input please.

Mulligan and Hartsock (the blockers) both played. Jeff Cumberland did not. I'm not sure if he was active, but IMO he is MUCH more likely to be pulled off the PS than Chauncey Washington. Cumberland is 6'4" 260 and runs 4.4. Unlike Washington (or McKnight) by all accounts he had a very good camp.

He wouldn't have to. Like I posted, the Jets have a lot of options running the ball should they lose either of their #1 RB's.

Brad gets a couple more carries, the FB's get a couple carries, the Jets throw the ball more - maybe running some screens or slants for a safe few yards.

Chauncey Washington was not going to save their season. If Greene or LT went down, those (really 10-15) touches would largely be redistributed amongst the other #1 RB, Brad Smith, Dustin Keller, Braylon Edwards, and Santonio Holmes. It would be very, very far from the end of the world.

Chauncey was on the practice squad, and survived there for a few weeks, because he's nothing special. Really.

There's no doubt the JETS will have to do lot of improvising to fill the 10-15 touches.

No body is saying Chauncey is very special. But he could have filled in the role of a backup RB right away. Without the JETS having to go away or improvise with their ground and pound strategy.

Given Greene has injury issues in the past and LT is a 30+ it would have been a great insurance policy to have.

Mulligan and Hartsock (the blockers) both played. Jeff Cumberland did not. I'm not sure if he was active, but IMO he is MUCH more likely to be pulled off the PS than Chauncey Washington. Cumberland is 6'4" 260 and runs 4.4. Unlike Washington (or McKnight) by all accounts he had a very good camp.

But blockers on special teams are not irreplaceable.

Cumberland is an interesting prospect. No doubt we need to keep him around.

But blockers on special teams are not irreplaceable.

Cumberland is an interesting prospect. No doubt we need to keep him around.

Being replaceable is not the point. They played. There was no chance Chauncey Washington would see the field the first 3 weeks. You asked if our 4 TEs played. The answer is that the 2 you might consider cutting (choose one) did.

Being replaceable is not the point. They played. There was no chance Chauncey Washington would see the field the first 3 weeks. You asked if our 4 TEs played. The answer is that the 2 you might consider cutting (choose one) did.

True. I did ask that.

But they played on special teams. Not at TE position.

True. I did ask that.

But they played on special teams. Not at TE position.

So what? They played. Oh and I'm plenty sure that at least one of them got run at TE. Just because they didn't catch balls doesn't mean they didn't play TE. It's possible they both did, but in any event it's irrelevant. Chauncey Washington would have been lucky to even play special teams.

There's no doubt the JETS will have to do lot of improvising to fill the 10-15 touches.

No body is saying Chauncey is very special. But he could have filled in the role of a backup RB right away. Without the JETS having to go away or improvise with their ground and pound strategy.

Given Greene has injury issues in the past and LT is a 30+ it would have been a great insurance policy to have.

It was a luxury. The reality is that if either LT or Greene got hurt for any amount of time, they'd spread the ball around to players other than Chauncey whether he was with the team or not. Chauncey really only would've seen extended action if both RB's got hurt. He's two injuries away from seeing action.

McKnight -for all the complaints- probably gets activated if LT gets hurt, and probably sees some action.

If anything were to happen to Keller, Cumberland would step right in (one injury away) as the receiving TE, and they'd need another guy for blocking.

So what? They played. Oh and I'm plenty sure that at least one of them got run at TE. Just because they didn't catch balls doesn't mean they didn't play TE. It's possible they both did, but in any event it's irrelevant. Chauncey Washington would have been lucky to even play special teams.

They played on special teams. And it matters and is relevant what they are were used for in the game.

Do we know that for sure that they played as TE ?

Edited by JetsFanInDenver

It was a luxury. The reality is that if either LT or Greene got hurt for any amount of time, they'd spread the ball around to players other than Chauncey whether he was with the team or not. Chauncey really only would've seen extended action if both RB's got hurt. He's two injuries away from seeing action.

McKnight -for all the complaints- probably gets activated if LT gets hurt, and probably sees some action.

If anything were to happen to Keller, Cumberland would step right in (one injury away) as the receiving TE, and they'd need another guy for blocking.

Its not a luxury if they get hurt. And we do not know how much action Chauncey would have seen as a backup. And RB's are more prone to injuries and have a shorter shelf life than most other positions.

First of probability of a TE getting hurt is lesser than a RB. And even if we need 2 TE's to replace Dustin Keller there are 3 backup TE's.

They played on special teams. And it matters and is relevant what they are were used for in the game.

Do we know that for sure that they played as TE ?

I know 100% for certain that Hartsock played significant time at TE, around 50% of the snaps. I'm not 100% sure on Mulligan, but I honestly think he did. It is not really relevant because the fact is they played. If Washington were on the roster wouldn't even be active. The fact is, Keller is backed up by Cumberland. Hartsock is backed up by Mulligan (who Rex has stated he loves and has spent time on other NFL rosters). Greene is backed up by Tomlinson, who is backed up by McKnight who was backed (PS) up by Washington. You wanted to keep him? I didn't. I'm not even sure he is a viable player. Hartsock and Mulligan are while McKnight and Cumberland are much more interesting prospects with more potential.

Its not a luxury if they get hurt. And we do not know how much action Chauncey would have seen as a backup. And RB's are more prone to injuries and have a shorter shelf life than most other positions.

Which is why the Jets went out 2 days later and picked up Xavier Omon to put on the practice squad and have essentially the same role as Chauncey. Who cares.