Will Schotty screw it up this week?

serphnx

To blame the entire offensive woes on a OC is ridiculous.

No one is arguing this. Especially not in relation to the Bills game.

However you agreed with Gato who tried to remove all blame from Schotty which is outrageous. Sanchez was awful, Sanchez has had awful moments and has held our offense back. HOWEVER, has he always been put in a good position to succeed by Schotty? Hell no.

Read through the Miami thread, Schotty had a better game yet I was still able to predict the first two plays of the sequence and knew we'd end up in 3rd and long. I thought he'd call a draw on 3rd and instead he calls a play that was nearly intercepted. It was too funny how predictable it was that Sanchez would end up in a bad position to succeed, something that has happened far too often under Schotty on a team where he's surrounded by good offensive talent.

Schotty's looked pretty good the last couple weeks, but c'mon man, that game against Buffalo last year was just a pitiful job by him. He's lucky he wasn't fired the following day.

Sanchez sucked, but his coordinator put him in sh*tty situations all game.

No QB alive would ever tell you they've been put in a "sh*tty situation" to throw the ball when the running game has racked up 300+ yards.

No OL/RB unit would brag about piling up 300 yards when they only put up 1 TD.

It's really as simple as that. Rex said it about the Dolphins this past week and it stands here...yes, they put up nice stats in the running game as far as yardage goes...therefore we "tore up" their D in a fans very basic eyes...but in the end that running game didn't do it where it counted...they forced more emphasis on the QB...the QB himself was terrible inaccurate and inefficient...The game was a clusterf*ck of bad things...Seeing as it was our rookie QB's 5th start it's really not a big deal and I don't get why we're talking about it seriously again.

BTW Irish...I'm not trying to take all the blame off of Schotty. I'm trying to point out that "we didn't even need to pass! We ran for 300 yards!" makes no sense. You can't f*ckin not pass...especially since the running game "dominated" to the tune of 1 TD.

However you agreed with Gato who tried to remove all blame from Schotty which is outrageous. Sanchez was awful, Sanchez has had awful moments and has held our offense back. HOWEVER, has he always been put in a good position to succeed by Schotty? Hell no.

IMO, Shotty's biggest fault is that he is too predictable, and not with the specific plays he is calling.

He needs to call more short, safe passes on 1st and 2nd down to keep Sanchez out of 3rd and long situations.

Teams continue to stack the box against the Jets on 1st and 2nd down, and rightfully so.

Start throwing those short, quick passes on 1st down and you will see the LB's and S retreating back faster than Custer's army.

IMO, Shotty's biggest fault is that he is too predictable, and not with the specific plays he is calling.

He needs to call more short, safe passes on 1st and 2nd down to keep Sanchez out of 3rd and long situations.

Teams continue to stack the box against the Jets on 1st and 2nd down, and rightfully so.

Start throwing those short, quick passes on 1st down and you will see the LB's and S retreating back faster than Custer's army.

While I agree that I think our offense could use more short passes...I also think that the playcalling is function of having a brand new, rookie (now 2nd year) QB. Anyone with half a brain would take that into account...Generally those n00bs tend to be far, far less economical with the ball than a veteran. When Favre was here we threw a ton of slants that attacked the intermediate area...That's how f*ckin eveeery exciting passing game works now...probably always has.

Blaming the offensive coordinator is just being ****in lazy. I'm being dead serious when I say that that Schotty/Sanchez exchange I wrote earlier in the thread is exactly how I see you guys viewing playcalling. Schotty just tells Sanchez "throw the ball here" and if it fails it's on him if it works it's due to the magic of QBs.

Schottenheimer is not perfect, but when you find me that perfect OC then tell me. He's competent as hell and it shows in how quickly Sanchez is coming along as a QB.

Again, you don't even know what I'm arguing so your post simply doesn't make sense.

Where in this thread have I once defended Sanchez's performance in this thread? Seriously?

You're not arguing anything...You're just stating the that playcalling sucked. What I'm saying is that there's more to it than that, and you have no clue what the playcall is. A QB ALWAYS has options when he's given a passing play...Sanchez only started picking up on that in the SD playoff game. You seem to be working under the assumption that Schotty forced him to look downfield when he didn't have to...if he didn't have to then why did he? Because he was and really still is a n00b. Even if he WAS told that, wouldn't a smart competent QB take what he could get from the D?

Sphernx...You're not an offensive expert. Every team uses motion. I have on idea wtf you guys have against that...Peyton Manning lives and dies with the stuff...motion is how you create mismatches on the field. It's common sense man...come on...

Also, can someone tell me who the most unpredictable offensive coordinator in the league is?

I mean I sit watching baseball games with my friends all the time...I call a ton of pitches from the couch or the stool or w/e...I don't find any special meaning in my ability to do it beyond the fact that I'm confident I know the sport and I know pitching. It's not like predicting playcalling is some amazing skill...it's 50/50 anyway since no offense is going to f*ckin punt the ball to a WR or try to FG kick the ball for a first down.

No QB alive would ever tell you they've been put in a "sh*tty situation" to throw the ball when the running game has racked up 300+ yards.

No OL/RB unit would brag about piling up 300 yards when they only put up 1 TD.

It's really as simple as that. Rex said it about the Dolphins this past week and it stands here...yes, they put up nice stats in the running game as far as yardage goes...therefore we "tore up" their D in a fans very basic eyes...but in the end that running game didn't do it where it counted...they forced more emphasis on the QB...the QB himself was terrible inaccurate and inefficient...The game was a clusterf*ck of bad things...Seeing as it was our rookie QB's 5th start it's really not a big deal and I don't get why we're talking about it seriously again.

BTW Irish...I'm not trying to take all the blame off of Schotty. I'm trying to point out that "we didn't even need to pass! We ran for 300 yards!" makes no sense. You can't f*ckin not pass...especially since the running game "dominated" to the tune of 1 TD.

I admire your ability to stay true to your cause.

Schottenheimer completely sucked that day, and is lucky he wasn't fired on Monday.

Every drive in the second half (it seemed) ended in an interception, yet he kept going after big play after big play in a close game when the ground game was dominating and his rookie QB was obviously off. It was utter foolishness. Sanchez threw 29 times, when he never should've thrown more than 15. It was a terrible game for the QB and the coordinator.

Schottenheimer completely sucked that day, and is lucky he wasn't fired on Monday.

Sanchez completely sucked that day and is lucky he wasn't cut that Monday.

If I say it that matter of factly like that will people believe me more?

It was a poor day for the offense as a whole. They got over it.

NFL offenses are not Woody Hayes and "3 yards and a cloud of dust".

Regardless of how well a team is running the ball, you still have to throw the ball to move the football and score points.

The reason the Jets lost that game was Sanchez was absolutely horrid, and not because of the play-calling by Shotty.

The entire Offense was horrid. Sanchez was 10-21 and At least 4 balls were dropped and while You obviously cant say he played good you cant say he played horrid either. It looked more to me like he was handcuffed.

2 things about Shotty that drive me nuts. 1. early in games when the offense is just getting in Rhythm he will call a wildcat or some retarded gadget reverse totally destroying our momentum. He does this alot and I want to choke him when he does it. 2. He gets into way too many 5 wide sets with T-Rich lined up wide and I cant for the life of me figure why the **** you have a FB lined up wide and the play goes to the opposite side. Would it not be better to have the FB in the back field picking up pass rushers ?

I think Sanchez is the type of QB who needs to get in rhythm early to be successfull. Its been obvious the last 2 games. Lets see how Shotty handles the Bills a team he should attack relentlessly early and often then run it down their throats in the second half to preserve the lead.

Archived