What the heck happenned to the 1986 jets

CTM

Was just watching a highlight video for Ken O'Brien on youtube, and obviously it included a lot of clips from 1986. WTF happenned to that team after the 10-1 start?

1 Sun September 7 box W 1-0 @ Buffalo Bills 28 24

2 Thu September 11 box L 1-1 New England Patriots 6 20

3 Sun September 21 box W 2-1 Miami Dolphins 51 45

4 Sun September 28 box W 3-1 @ Indianapolis Colts 26 7

5 Sun October 5 box W 4-1 Buffalo Bills 14 13

6 Sun October 12 box W 5-1 @ New England Patriots 31 24

7 Mon October 20 box W 6-1 Denver Broncos 22 10

8 Sun October 26 box W 7-1 New Orleans Saints 28 23

9 Sun November 2 box W 8-1 @ Seattle Seahawks 38 7

10 Sun November 9 box W 9-1 @ Atlanta Falcons 28 14

11 Sun November 16 box W 10-1 Indianapolis Colts 31 16

12 Mon November 24 box L 10-2 @ Miami Dolphins 3 45

13 Sun November 30 box L 10-3 Los Angeles Rams 3 17

14 Sun December 7 box L 10-4 @ San Francisco 49ers 10 24

15 Sat December 13 box L 10-5 Pittsburgh Steelers 24 45

16 Sun December 21 box L 10-6 @ Cincinnati Bengals 21 52

How does a 10-1 team finish 0-5, how does the #1 offense put up 3 points back to back n weeks 12 and 13. This was my third year watching the team and the first year I really became a die hard. I feel like it set me up for life as a SOJF. Maybe it's nostalgia, but for 11 weeks, this was the best jets team I've ever seen

Anyway, enjoy..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Uq0F2whpl4

Was just watching a highlight video for Ken O'Brien on youtube, and obviously it included a lot of clips from 1986. WTF happenned to that team after the 10-1 start?

How does a 10-1 team finish 0-5, how does the #1 offense put up 3 points back to back n weeks 12 and 13. This was my third year watching the team and the first year I really became a die hard. I feel like it set me up for life as a SOJF. Maybe it's nostalgia, but for 11 weeks, this was the best jets team I've ever seen

Anyway, enjoy..

While I can't tell you what happened in 86 (I was only 3 after all), after watching that video, you can't help but think that we haven't seen a Jets QB who can throw the ball down the field like that since. Although as I continued to watch I also found myself thinking, the Jets haven't had a WR who can get down the field like that since then either (particularly Walker). Definitely some impressive highlights for O'Brien and his receivers.

Man Wesley was a beast!!

I think both Klecko and Lyons were hurt and missed those games. The Sack Exchange was the key to that defense and that was too much to overcome. I can't remember what exactly happened to the offense.

Ken O'Brien could have been special. He also had one of the lowest interception percentages in football despite all the deep passes. He was second all-time behind Montana when he retired. He could wing it all over the place.

Kenny O was special He could make every throw in the book. Unfortunately for him and Jets fans, NYJ failed to provide a pro caliber O-line for him in the late 80's early 90's and like another special Jets QB before him, he became a shell shocked tackling dummy with a wasted career. He could have had a HOF career.

Don't forget that the team destroyed KC in the WC round just to blow a game against Cleveland that year thanks to old 99... while a bonehead move that penalty still kills me.

and is was the knee injury to gastineau that really contributed to the slide in the first place.....I remember how agonizing that slide was....total torture......

klecko and mehl got hurt as well I think

Injuries crippled that team...besides Klecko, Gastineau and Mehl getting hurt, the offensive line took hits as well. It was a special team and they never really recovered. And I'm talking the following years.

One of the most disappointing years and times for me as a Jets fan.

Anyway, enjoy..

actually, we outlined it. injuries to obrien-throwing finger and gastineau-who came back in time to blow the playoffs, injury to klecko-out and lance mehl-out

yes, same old jets, but credit must be given to the sh*tty artificial turf that took out three knees (klec, gas, mehl) in one year and even forced mehl to retire.

It's crazy that this is becoming "old"(wow) but 84, 85, 86 the jets were great. There was the mud bowl in the afc championship(Todd and his 5 or 10 int), then O'brien came in 85 and look awesome (they bowed out first round after 10-6), and looked even better in 86 (and the collapse) from there the team fell apart around obrien and he got killed every play.

Obrien got the shaft!!!!

Injuries crippled that team...besides Klecko, Gastineau and Mehl getting hurt, the offensive line took hits as well. It was a special team and they never really recovered. And I'm talking the following years.

One of the most disappointing years and times for me as a Jets fan.

absolutely. I should've read all the posts before answering, but i couldn't help it!! lol You know, we NEVER got back to that! I blame the turf too, klecko mehl, gas all knees and i believe an o-lineman went down (wasn't fields, right?) I dont know but that team rocked! WTF happened is right.

Is wasn't until 98 we got back some semblance of being relevant. poor kenny O, haha (pro bowl in 91,85, robbed in 86 by esiason)

Kenny O was special He could make every throw in the book. Unfortunately for him and Jets fans, NYJ failed to provide a pro caliber O-line for him in the late 80's early 90's and like another special Jets QB before him, he became a shell shocked tackling dummy with a wasted career. He could have had a HOF career.

+1

he becomes the punchline to all jet fans now. What a fukkin shame. I'm not saying anything, but he outplayed marino out of the gate. NOBODY was saying that obrien over marino was a horrible move in 86

and, oh since we're doing a little pre-game kenny O (yes!) how about this little gem. What's best is if you go to you tube. the guy who puts the video up writes : The road to mediocrity and he gets blasted by comments defending #7. One guy says he was at a game with the wind howling, the other qb's passes were fluttering and kenny was throwing spirals.

and dont forget who one the first ever [qb challenge!

I had it skewed in my burnt head, but reallY:

He was playing the Dolphins, last year in the league, as an Eagle. He led an awesome 4th quarter drive (which he also did well). I was cheering like crazy for him. It was raining. They got down to 3rd and goal and kenny O took the snap and went to throw, but the ball slipped out of his hands cause of the rain. Then on 4th down, he fires a strike to james lofton right in the front of the endzone. Lofton dropped it. The pass was perfect. And that was the end of kenny O lol got sh*t on again, I was thinking.

Now, somebody tell me how effed up my memory is, because the 90's was not a good time for my brain. lol

Coaching that team---a man named Kotite. (they went 8-8)

They got killed by injuries that year. on the offensive line also. Andre Tippet started picking O'Brien up in the air and pile driving him head first into the turf (and guess what? no flags were ever thrown) Wesley Walker got knocked out in the Rams game late in the year also. after all of those beatings on O'Brien he became gun shy with his feet shaking all the time. he actually became shell shocked by that awful offensive line.

absolutely. I should've read all the posts before answering, but i couldn't help it!! lol You know, we NEVER got back to that! I blame the turf too, klecko mehl, gas all knees and i believe an o-lineman went down (wasn't fields, right?) I dont know but that team rocked! WTF happened is right.

Is wasn't until 98 we got back some semblance of being relevant. poor kenny O, haha (pro bowl in 91,85, robbed in 86 by esiason)

A lot of injuries I remember on that team, so I decided to look it up because as time goes on, memories become a blur. Anyway, here's an eye opening stat and the reason why this team collapsed heading down the stretch...

15 Jets combined to miss 108 games

A lot of injuries I remember on that team, so I decided to look it up because as time goes on, memories become a blur. Anyway, here's an eye opening stat and the reason why this team collapsed heading down the stretch...

15 Jets combined to miss 108 games

O'Brien is one of my all time favorite Jets. The team got racked by injuries, and one of the reasons, was Joe Walton. He sucked as a coach and he ran the players ragged in pre season and practice.

He looks ridiculous in those videos, some of those passes are just perfect.

A lot of football fans shake their heads when they hear that the "Same old Jets" skipped over Marino to get O'Brien. But I believe O'Brien would probably be in the HOF now if he had a coach like Shula. 1983 was the best year for drafting QBs.

Thanks to the original poster of this thread and the O'Brien video. Cool memories.

I wish the Jets would consider wearing the throwback jerseys from that era. I grew up seeing them and like them. It won't happen because unfortunately that was looked at as a losing era.

PS That 'Kenny Clinic' video is so Ghey! :D

Check out Toon blowing by everyone at the :38 mark by the way. Dude was just an effing gazelle.

terms used a ton, but it fits best here imo. Miss watching that dude play..

For those talking about O'Brien's accuracy? Remember him in the below? He won it atleast once..

Somewhere in middle of 1986 it looked like we might have made the right choice after all, O'brien lead the AFC in passer rating in 1985 and was blowing up in 1986

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhP45aa1lg0

Paul McGuire cursed us on the pre game, oh yea and the whole team got hurt, oh yea and Joe Walton was th hc

I remember that like it was yesterday. If I ever meet Paul McGuire in person, I will poke him in the eye.

Jets definitely suffered some injury problems, and the OL had issues, but Joe Walton really did suck, too. If he was never elevated from the OC position, and there was a HC in place to tell him to stop with all the fancy bullsh*t and just get to the meat of the play (Schottenheimer!!!), they would've been much, much better. Plays took way too long to develop. The OL was asked to hold it's blocks for a long time, and Kenny used to hold the ball even longer trying to make a play anywhere.

Al Toon and Wesley Walker were all timers, but Mickey Shuler at TE was, too. Just a tremendous player. He led the team in receiving a couple years.

+1

he becomes the punchline to all jet fans now. What a fukkin shame. I'm not saying anything, but he outplayed marino out of the gate. NOBODY was saying that obrien over marino was a horrible move in 86

and, oh since we're doing a little pre-game kenny O (yes!) how about this little gem. What's best is if you go to you tube. the guy who puts the video up writes : The road to mediocrity and he gets blasted by comments defending #7. One guy says he was at a game with the wind howling, the other qb's passes were fluttering and kenny was throwing spirals.

and dont forget who one the first ever [qb challenge!

I had it skewed in my burnt head, but reallY:

He was playing the Dolphins, last year in the league, as an Eagle. He led an awesome 4th quarter drive (which he also did well). I was cheering like crazy for him. It was raining. They got down to 3rd and goal and kenny O took the snap and went to throw, but the ball slipped out of his hands cause of the rain. Then on 4th down, he fires a strike to james lofton right in the front of the endzone. Lofton dropped it. The pass was perfect. And that was the end of kenny O lol got sh*t on again, I was thinking.

Now, somebody tell me how effed up my memory is, because the 90's was not a good time for my brain. lol

Coaching that team---a man named Kotite. (they went 8-8)

OK, here's the real story. I love the internet. Not exactly as i remembered, but very close and worse for kenny being the dolphins.

Here are some keys:

Philadelphia went ahead by 7-6 on Ken O'Brien's 11-yard toss to receiver Calvin Williams and the conversion.

Philadelphia recaptured the lead with 36 seconds left on another O'Brien-to-Williams pass, this one 8 yards.

The Eagles had 77 rushing yards rushing in the first half. In the second half they had only 26. They also fumbled three times in the second half, the biggest being rookie back Vaughn Hebron's drop with 8:29 left at the Philadelphia 27.

One of the biggest Eagles mistakes was a drop by the usually sure-handed veteran, James Lofton. Fewer than three minutes were left and the Eagles were at the Miami 22, driving for the winning touchdown. On secondand 2, Lofton was wide open over the middle, near the Dolphins' 10, and dropped the pass.

It was fourth down that the ball slipped. That was a perfect pass to Lofton. I knew I wasn't nuts. lol

I remember that like it was yesterday. If I ever meet Paul McGuire in person, I will poke him in the eye.

Yeah, i hate that ****er. I can remember clear as day the video NBC played of his prediction every week that they'd lose for the prior 4 games. He said they won't win another game all season in week 12 before the Miami game and turned out to be right.

I never understood however why he hated on this team so much.

Archived