American League Division Series (Game & Discussion Thread)

Morrissey

That means a lot actually. The aggregate index shows that the offensive numbers in the postseason offer a statistical barrier because only the better teams are playing. RHIA showed, I think it was two years ago, that in the AL the offense production was 9-13% higher from innings 1 through 8. Dominant closers in the 9th are the only ones that have faired better in the postseason over the long haul.

The fact that his numbers improved, even slightly, against offensive improvements in the 9-13% range show that Andy's accomplishments are truly great.

Ding ding sing. Solid post Max. This goes for Derek Jeter as well, who's career numbers are very similar to his post numbers, though his power goes up in the post season.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think so. Not enough wins, winning percentage is below .600. He was a gamer though just falls short. The rings definitely help him.

Schilling has more strikeouts, less walks, a better career WHIP and ERA, much better postseason numbers, more CG, more shutouts, more All-Star appearances, should have won a Cy Young or two except he had Randy Johnson pitching on the same team. Lets nto forget he was instrumental in bringing a championship to Arizona and Boston. Just as many reasons for Schilling to be in as Pettitte.

I mean if wins don't mean anything in the Cy Young this season, why should it matter for the HOF? Wins are a team stat right? (Just playing Devil's Advocate here)

Schilling has more strikeouts, less walks, a better career WHIP and ERA, much better postseason numbers, more CG, more shutouts, more All-Star appearances, should have won a Cy Young or two except he had Randy Johnson pitching on the same team. Lets nto forget he was instrumental in bringing a championship to Arizona and Boston. Just as many reasons for Schilling to be in as Pettitte.

I mean if wins don't mean anything in the Cy Young this season, why should it matter for the HOF? Wins are a team stat right? (Just playing Devil's Advocate here)

You know what, and I have been less than serious in this thread, but I do think wins matter. Jack Morris comes to mind. If the Tigers scored 5, he gave up 4. That plays into it.

And I am a HUGE fan of what Schilling accomplished in his career. He owned the Yankees.

That being said he ain't getting in, lol. Pettite probably won't either because of the HGH thing

Ding ding sing. Solid post Max. This goes for Derek Jeter as well, who's career numbers are very similar to his post numbers, though his power goes up in the post season.

I like that about Jeter, the power goes up in the postseason. I always thought if he was willing to hit .260 that he could hit 25-30 home runs. Not saying it was a good idea just think he could pull it off if he wanted to.

You know what, and I have been less than serious in this thread, but I do think wins matter. Jack Morris comes to mind. If the Tigers scored 5, he gave up 4. That plays into it.

And I am a HUGE fan of what Schilling accomplished in his career. He owned the Yankees.

That being said he ain't getting in, lol. Pettite probably won't either because of the HGH thing

Schilling, Morris and Pettitte all have a very simlar argument for Cooperstown-solid long-term numbers and great psotseason success.

The PED police are acting like kids who found out Santa was bullsh*t.

About Piazza-he has never tested positive for PEDs. And voter who says he didn't vote for him because he sued PEDs is going to get barbequed and may be sued.Heck, Liberace won a similar laswuis in the 1950s when someone called him gay. If you standard is NO ONE who has EVER used PEDs should be admitted, the HoF is going to go years without inducting anyone. And again, all those great players of yesteryear had no problem gobbling greenies after train trips and doubleheaders. Outside of possibly Ernie Banks and Stan Musial-living saints-I would bet all of e'm would've used some PEDs to some degree.Being a great player means getting every advantage you can and maximizing it. Suspect most would've taken advantage, not to the degree of Ken Caminitti stupidity, but closer to Andy Pettitte; to get and edge, to heal, to play at a high level.

And are the same writers going to expell Gaylord Perry? It's never discussed, but how many of the same writers who voted for Ol'Gaylord now won't vote for PED users?It was cheating; where do you draw a line between chemicals and spitballs? One cannot be okay and the other evil. How many are now holier than thou about Clemens and Bonds?

If you saw Ken Burns' "The 10th Inning" last week, Chirs Rock when discussing Barry Bonds asked Burns if he was a great filmmaker. Burns agreed. And then Rock asked if he could take a pill and become as great a filmmaker as Steven Spielberg, would he do it? Rock answered the question for Burns; of course he would.

Was driving around the last few hours listening to ESPN radio of Bobby Valentine broadcasting the Rays/Rangers.We spend a lot of timing knocking announcers, butt his is just the opposite; Valentine could be one of the best if he keeps his ego in check, and so far so good. If anyone at ESPN has half a brain, they should fire Joe Morgan right now and make Valentine the Sunday night color guy with Jon Miller. A very easy and informative listen, no nonsense, tells you a great deal without getting in the way.

Archived