Randy Moss to the Vikes?

slats

Pats say "there is no trade"

Posted by Mike Florio on October 5, 2010 8:53 PM ET

Rumor quickly became reality on Tuesday night, with FOX's Jay Glazer reporting that the Patriots are close to shipping receiver Randy Moss back to the Vikings.

Now, the Minnesota and Boston media are pursuing the story like Homer chasing a chocolate-filled Uter with a wet towel.

Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald reports that the Patriots are saying "there is no trade." In this regard, conjugation could be critical. They're not saying "there will be no trade." They're only saying "there is no trade." And Glazer hasn't reported that there "is" a trade.

Rapoport also reports that he's told a trade is not "done," but he confirms that a trade is being discussed.

Albert Breer, formerly of the Boston Globe and now with NFL Network (congrats, by the way, Mr. Breer) reports that "no one is shooting this down, when given the chance to" and "omething's happening."

So stay tuned. We'll be on this thing all night if need be.

After all, that kid has bosoms.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally hope the deal falls thru. Think of Randy hanging out on the pats all year, feeling more unloved than earlier in the year. Total locker room distraction. then, as less and less balls get thrown his way, he gets even more Randyish.

Now, if it does get done, let it be after Monday.

ESPN just reported it as well.

The Patriots would be absolutely moronic if they do this...seriously. Their offense will be done. He makes it work. With out it, who scares you? They have no one to take the top of the D and all those little undersized WR's will get murdered with safeties not worried about Moss.

This is just ignorant and stupid and I love it.

Those two night te's are nice.

I don't think they'd be done, just wouldn't be prolific anymore. Still way above average..

1. Moss wrecks games even if his numbers suck. You have to defend a team with Randy Moss on it COMPLETELY DIFFERENTLY than one with Welker, Hernandez and a bunch of crap.

2. The teams that cheated their way the SB's without Moss had a good defense. The 2010 Pats are a bottom 5 D in the NFL.

While this is true...ask yourself how important it is to what the Pats do. The deep threat in Moss was always a luxury and a fun experiment in that offense...That had it's run with them...they set some records...went 16-0...then lost a Super Bowl.

Brady was always the best QB in the league at spreading the ball around to his whole WR corps and the Pats are clearly going back to that...And just because they're not household names yet a Welker/Hernandez/Edelman/Tate corps can do some damage given competent QB play that can put them in a position to succeed and make plays. Hernandez is basically their version of Keller and getting him in the 4th was one of the top 5 values in the draft...

And I'm not even going to touch the cheating thing...that's purely fans being naive about how "pure" the sport is...Iunno how it's possible to think that the NFL as a league in general is clean and cheater free...As soon as that cheating story broke a few pretty big name coaches jumped right out and went "sh*t, I did that...who doesn't do that?"

While this is true...ask yourself how important it is to what the Pats do. The deep threat in Moss was always a luxury and a fun experiment in that offense...That had it's run with them and it's not going to work like that. Brady was always the best QB in the league at spreading the ball around to his whole WR corps and the Pats are clearly going back to that...And just because they're not household names yet a Welker/Hernandez/Edelman/Tate corps can do some damage given competent QB play that can put them in a position to succeed.

And I'm not even going to touch the cheating thing...Everyone cheats...they just got caught. Asterisks for "cheating" are/were dumb in sports....that's purely fans being naive about how "pure" the sport is...

He's the most important aspect of their offense BY FAR. He gets double teamed on every play.

He's the most important aspect of their offense BY FAR. He gets double teamed on every play.

Really? Over the QB? The same QB that could f*ck with teams with guys like Deion Branch, old Troy Brown, and randoms?

Please don't delude yourself now...It's a huge win for the Vikings but the Patriots wouldn't do this if they saw it as a huge loss for them.

How're they done without Moss? He did nothing Monday night and they wrecked Miami...Not only that but the HC/QB combo won 3 Super Bowls WITHOUT Moss.

Seriously...the Vikings deserve their props but this isn't the end of the Pats...it's the end of Moss' time in New England. I kinda like the move for them...WR is one area of the roster they have young talent at and it's always been a position where they manufacture production from by having that Brady guy. Welker/Edelman/Tate is going to be frustrating, just like Branch/Brown/Givens was frustrating and won them games...and I didn't even mention the two TEs that everyone loves.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree here. That offense is run through Moss; giving guys like welker and edelman single coverage and a lot more open space underneath Moss' routes. Hernandez is going to be a stud, that's easy to see. But there offense is going to stagnate if Moss leaves, when they play a good defense.

They no longer have the offensive line, running game and defense that they had pre-Moss. Additionally, without Moss, if they fall behind they aren't going to have that same weapon to get them right back in the game. I just see it as a bad move.

Really? Over the QB? The same QB that could f*ck with teams with guys like Deion Branch, old Troy Brown, and randoms?

Please don't delude yourself now...It's a huge win for the Vikings but the Patriots wouldn't do this if they saw it as a huge loss for them.

Look at Brady's regular season numbers before moss got there. They are mediocre at best. He NEVER put up huge numbers till Moss got there. All you need to look at is the ~5% bump in comp % since he got there. It's completely obvious.

Brady was far from a prolific passer when he had those receivers. He was a game manager with a passer rating in the 80s. With Moss, he suddenly put up Manning numbers.

Neither, you put Revis on Harvin. Let Cro pick up where he left off.

I agree on the game plan.

As far as what the pats are thinking here, I HAVE to believe that they have something up their sleeve. This wouldn't make sense otherwise. There is something going on under the surface

How're they done without Moss? He did nothing Monday night and they wrecked Miami...Not only that but the HC/QB combo won 3 Super Bowls WITHOUT Moss.

Seriously...the Vikings deserve their props but this isn't the end of the Pats...it's the end of Moss' time in New England. I kinda like the move for them...WR is one area of the roster they have young talent at and it's always been a position where they manufacture production from by having that Brady guy. Welker/Edelman/Tate is going to be frustrating, just like Branch/Brown/Givens was frustrating and won them games...and I didn't even mention the two TEs that everyone loves.

In short:

Excellent deal for the Vikings, but anyone who thinks the Pats would do this to consciously make their team worse is significantly mistaken. The idea that Belichick is some fool who just got duped is laughable at best...This is still the same HC who presided over the best team of the last decade, and he's still got his QB.

Those two night te's are nice.

I don't think they'd be done, just wouldn't be prolific anymore. Still way above average..

Moss takes the top off the defense. Without him, those guys are not the same. They are going to need to find someone who can stretch the field, especially with no running game. Problem is, there isnt any body better in the business at taking the top of the defense opening up all the underneath routes. Watch and see. Very easy to defend without the threat of Moss.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree here. That offense is run through Moss; giving guys like welker and edelman single coverage and a lot more open space underneath Moss' routes. Hernandez is going to be a stud, that's easy to see. But there offense is going to stagnate if Moss leaves, when they play a good defense.

They no longer have the offensive line, running game and defense that they had pre-Moss. Additionally, without Moss, if they fall behind they aren't going to have that same weapon to get them right back in the game. I just see it as a bad move.

The Pats are going back to what won them Super Bowls...Brady spreads the ball to a bunch of competent guys...special teams owns (they have the best young kicker in football, an extremely talented rookie punter, and their young plays play like hungry guys on the kicking units)...and...well they'll have to figure out something with the D but the ingredients are there (big DT, a bunch of athletic DBs, a couple of solid LBs).

Moss was a fun experiment...Yes, their offense from '07 was built around him...It hasn't been that way since Brady came back from his knee injury...The Pats know who their best and most valuable player on offense is...it's not Randy Moss...To be a fan of the Jets...the same team that watched Brady have his way with the league the past decade...and tell me that that team works off of Moss is just you deluding yourself.

I like what Belichick is doing...He's thinking big picture and like I said...He knows who his guy is and who his best player is.

That team is not dying...and I'm enjoying it. I like having a non-loser rival. Who the f*ck wants the Dolphins as their main antagonist? The Dolphins suck. I like having a rival knows who knows who and what they are...

The Pats are going back to what won them Super Bowls...Brady spreads the ball to a bunch of competent guys...special teams owns (they have the best young kicker in football, an extremely talented rookie punter, and their young plays play like hungry guys on the kicking units)...and...well they'll have to figure out something with the D but the ingredients are there (big DT, a bunch of athletic DBs, a couple of solid LBs).

Moss was a fun experiment...Yes, their offense from '07 was built around him...It hasn't been that way since Brady came back from his knee injury...The Pats know who their best and most valuable player on offense is...it's not Randy Moss...To be a fan of the Jets...the same team that watched Brady have his way with the league the past decade...and tell me that that team works off of Moss is just you deluding yourself.

I like what Belichick is doing...He's thinking big picture and like I said...He knows who his guy is and who his best player is.

They will never get back to that level because they can't tape signals anymore and their defense sucks. Anyone who's not blind sees that. They are a big time passing team trading their best WR.

I think the Jets game may have made BB's mind up. In the second half Brady was zoned in on Moss, he was NEVER like that. He used to be the guy who could get 11 different scrubs multiple receptions in one game and cap it off with a TD to Mike ******* Vrabel.

They'll still have one of the top passing games in the league, just not one of the best downfield offenses.

ESPN just reported it as well.

The Patriots would be absolutely moronic if they do this...seriously. Their offense will be done. He makes it work. With out it, who scares you? They have no one to take the top of the D and all those little undersized WR's will get murdered with safeties not worried about Moss.

This is just ignorant and stupid and I love it.

Until they trade for Vincent Jackson, and everyone's ******* shell-shocked about how they just basically traded Moss for a younger version.

I think the Jets game may have made BB's mind up. In the second half Brady was zoned in on Moss, he was NEVER like that. He used to be the guy who could get 11 different scrubs multiple receptions in one game and cap it off with a TD to Mike ******* Vrabel.

They'll still have one of the top passing games in the league, just not one of the best downfield offenses.

If you think they will have one of the top passing games with Welker, Hernandez and a bunch of JAG's your nuts.

They will never get back to that level because they can't tape signals anymore and their defense sucks. Anyone who's not blind sees that. They are a big time passing team trading their best WR.

They were a big time passing team for one season...

If you think they will have one of the top passing games with Welker, Hernandez and a bunch of JAG's your nuts.

Yeah because the 2000's Pats were so loaded at WR...

While this is true...ask yourself how important it is to what the Pats do. The deep threat in Moss was always a luxury and a fun experiment in that offense...That had it's run with them...they set some records...went 16-0...then lost a Super Bowl.

Brady was always the best QB in the league at spreading the ball around to his whole WR corps and the Pats are clearly going back to that...And just because they're not household names yet a Welker/Hernandez/Edelman/Tate corps can do some damage given competent QB play that can put them in a position to succeed and make plays. Hernandez is basically their version of Keller and getting him in the 4th was one of the top 5 values in the draft...

And I'm not even going to touch the cheating thing...that's purely fans being naive about how "pure" the sport is...Iunno how it's possible to think that the NFL as a league in general is clean and cheater free...As soon as that cheating story broke a few pretty big name coaches jumped right out and went "sh*t, I did that...who doesn't do that?"

It's not about the deep threat, it's about the threat of the deep threat.

Pats did it w/ mediocre WRs when their defense was great. Their defense is, well, not great. Unless they parlay this into Vincent Jackson, this is a move that weakens the team this year.

Personally I hope they get him there before we play him this weekend. Look at how Favre is playing right now because he chose to sit out all of training camp and has no chemistry with his receivers. Receivers that he played with all last season. Sidney Rice is a nice player don't get me wrong, but he was not the difference between utter suckage and a superpower offense. Brett Favre stink right now. He stinks because his age has caught up with him and because he has no timing with his receivers.

So what does MIN do? They go get a receiver that really is a 1 trick pony deep route runner and are gonna try to throw him in the mix with Favre with less than a week of practice together. How is this a bad thing for the Jets? How is having Brett Favre stand back there like a statue waiting to force bomb after bomb to Randy Moss a bad thing for this Jets defense? I'm going to make a bold prediction right now-If Randy Moss does in fact get traded to the Vikes and plays against us, Brett Favre will not make it through the game. Bank it.

2 seasons and 4 weeks into this season.

2 seasons...The fact that they went after two TEs...one a true TE prospect the other a H-back type...in this past draft kinda signaled they were going to reign in the passing game a little. All they're doing now is speeding up that process...better to do it while Brady is around than not.

With 2 first round picks they can go after Jackson...wait and try to land AJ Green...go OL/RB in the offseason...there's a bunch of options for that team.

It's not about the deep threat, it's about the threat of the deep threat.

Pats did it w/ mediocre WRs when their defense was great. Their defense is, well, not great. Unless they parlay this into Vincent Jackson, this is a move that weakens the team this year.

They'll not win the Superbowl (With or without Moss) but they can still compete.

Archived