Jenkins NOT ready to retire

Kentucky Jet

PFT Gear

Kris Jenkins is not ready to retire

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 7, 2010 7:40 PM ET

One of the saddest, most memorable images of this young season was that of Jets nose tackle Kris Jenkins hobbling off the field in the season opener. He looked like a man wondering if he'd ever put on a uniform again.

After undergoing his fourth major surgery last week, Jenkins has decided he wants to try to make it back from his torn ACL. For a second straight season.

"I'm in uncharted waters. But I'm at the point where I don't care what anybody thinks," Jenkins told Greg Bishop of the New York Times. "I want to leave my mark on the game."

Jenkins is under contract with the Jets next season for $3.75 million.

If he can play for roughly 10 games next year, $3.75 million for big Jenks is a steal. I just hope he can stay relatively healthy..if he ends the season without having to have major surgery (knee scope et al considered minor) i will consider it a win. I just want to see him in this defense so damned badly.

Here is Kris Jenkins facebook status as of about an hour ago:

Kristopher Jenkins

Yes it is true. I have decided to give it one more shot and a couple of things.

1) Yes I will wear knee braces.

2) I don't care who disagrees.

3) I am crazy enough to pull it off!!!!!

Thank you for the support FB and keep rooting for those JETS!!!!a

You the man Kris This is great news.

He's 31 years old, coming off his second major knee operation in 12 months, but Kris Jenkins isn't ready to pack it in just yet. The New York Jets' defensive tackle Kris Jenkins announced on his Facebook page Thursday night that he's planning to play in 2011, and he confirmed that in an e-mail to ESPNNewYork.com, saying, "Yes, it's true. I'll see you in the locker room shortly."

Jenkins appeared poised for a bounce-back season, but he blew out the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee (same as last season) on the sixth play of the 2010 season. He underwent surgery last week and faces several long months of grueling rehab -- again. But he isn't ready to walk away.

The question is, will he be back with the Jets? Jenkins is due to make close to $5 million next year, a prohibitive amount for a nose tackle who will have missed 25 of his previous 32 games. There's always the chance he could restructure his contract. If not, he will attempt a comeback elsewhere.

per cimini.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/2185/jenkins-will-attempt-another-comeback

Does he really think, if he attempts a comeback, that we wouldn't pick up his option??

I respect KJ bigtime and he is a beast when healthy but seriously speaking if we dumped Leon after that major leg injury i seriously doubt we'll stick with KJ...We need to look for a big time NT this draft.

agreed ( and btw i love the flight crew ) but, umm.. yeah, I'm sorry Jenkins, I think it's admirable, but first of all 5 mil is out of the question, and i just dont know.

Sam Cowart

Leon Johnson

justin Miller

i mean on and on and on...penny hardaway, tracy mcgrady, joe namath.. it just anit happening. We draft NT definitely. I do find one think amazing.

On this board, where we despise our own players if we find out they're stealing cable, but we LOVE Kris Jenkins who has played about 10 minutes for us since signing him in for big money! Why is that exactly? Because he's a good guy? lmao very funny

If he's under contract, bring him back. Draft someone to learn under him for a year (he'll probably get playing time right away as KJ will injure himself going to get the paper) and KJ will give great advice on the sidelines on the stationary bike.

It's a win - win - win.

I love Kris Jenkins but this should stop us for drafting a big plug in the middle.

No it won't. There is no way this team goes for a third season completely depending on Jenkins in the middle. His knees are too unreliable. We will sure up the position

I like KJ also, however, they question is Should this top us from drafting a big plug in the middle?

I meant to say, it shouldnt stop us from drafting a big plug in the middle.

On this board, where we despise our own players if we find out they're stealing cable, but we LOVE Kris Jenkins who has played about 10 minutes for us since signing him in for big money! Why is that exactly? Because he's a good guy? lmao very funny

Because you can't just hate on a guy who has torn his ACL in the same knee that was hurt last year. Its not like he's a Gholston who's stealing money to do NOTHING. When he's healthy he can be completely dominant. He's definitely a likable guy but that's not the only reason Jets fans support him.

The question is, will he be back with the Jets? Jenkins is due to make close to $5 million next year, a prohibitive amount for a nose tackle who will have missed 25 of his previous 32 games. There's always the chance he could restructure his contract. If not, he will attempt a comeback elsewhere.

per cimini.

http://espn.go.com/b...nother-comeback

Does he really think, if he attempts a comeback, that we wouldn't pick up his option??

His salary in 2011 is $3.75M, and in 2012 it's $5M. He hasn't been able to finish his last two seasons. sh*t, he didn't even start this last one. I'll be extremely surprised if the Jets don't look to force him to take a pay cut restructure his contract. Pouha's done the job in his absence. They've got Pitoitua coming back next year, too, and they actually have a few draft picks next year.

Dude you can't be serious, and those threads yous started sucked!

His salary in 2011 is $3.75M, and in 2012 it's $5M. He hasn't been able to finish his last two seasons. sh*t, he didn't even start this last one. I'll be extremely surprised if the Jets don't look to force him to take a pay cut restructure his contract. Pouha's done the job in his absence. They've got Pitoitua coming back next year, too, and they actually have a few draft picks next year.

Don't you think they should?

I mean he's getting paid for all the games he missed due to injuries right?

Don't you think they should?

I mean he's getting paid for all the games he missed due to injuries right?

I'm not making a judgement here, just stating my opinion of what I expect to happen. The guy I was responding to was under the impression that the Jets will pay his full salary next season. I'm not.

I'm not making a judgement here, just stating my opinion of what I expect to happen. The guy I was responding to was under the impression that the Jets will pay his full salary next season. I'm not.

I agree, but do you find that unreasonable?

I agree, but do you find that unreasonable?

No.

I also won't find it unreasonable if Jenkins says thanks but no thanks, and tries to latch on somewhere else for more money. It's a business for players and teams.

No.

I also won't find it unreasonable if Jenkins says thanks but no thanks, and tries to latch on somewhere else for more money. It's a business for players and teams.

How many teams out there do you think will throw more money to a 375lb DLineman who is coming off 2 ACL surgeries to the same knee?

How many teams out there do you think will throw more money to a 375lb DLineman who is coming off 2 ACL surgeries to the same knee?

Do not know.

Obviously, he has plenty of time to rehab it. Especially if the owners pull their lockout maneuver next year. He's a force when healthy. Not many of those "planet guys" out there.

I think it'll come down to what the doctors have to say.

No.

OK, but they would have to cut him first.

I can't see anybody having a problem with him, if he gets cut and tries to latch on somewhere else for more money.

OK, but they would have to cut him first.

I can't see anybody having a problem with him, if he gets cut and tries to latch on somewhere else for more money.

Haha! You watch!

It'll be the same sh*t that it is with every player who leaves the Jets. He'll be viewed as a bust during his time here, and good riddance. laugh.gif

Haha! You watch!

It'll be the same sh*t that it is with every player who leaves the Jets. He'll be viewed as a bust during his time here, and good riddance. laugh.gif

Probably, but would they really be mad at him for getting cut and trying to latch on somewhere else for more money?

Or will they be mad for him not excepting less and for his performance here?

Once he gets cut, he's free to do as he chooses, I can't see being bad at him for that.

Cleveland?

Haha! You watch!

Yep. Either that or the greatest player ever to play the game and vastly superior to everybody currently on the team.

Probably best if he rehabs as if he's coming back even if he's not. It must be very depressing to go through the struggle you go through to rehab, only to have to do it again.

+1

That's what they always say.

Yep. Either that or the greatest player ever to play the game and vastly superior to everybody currently on the team.

Haha! Right!

He'll either be as sucky as Thomas Jones or as wonderful as Danny Woodhead. There is no middle ground.

Archived