Shawne Merriman Done in San Diego

Vudu

But, the steroid factor you're okay with? Listen, whether it's roids, knees or whatever...the guy isn't the same and I for one, don't want him. That's all I'm saying.

Considering the sport the steroid factor means nothing to me. Just because the NFL hasn't been taken to congress doesn't mean steroids aren't all over the league.

No one is going to look fresh and new in the first couple years after knee surgery, but guys do come back...Frank Gore and Willis McGahee come right off the top of my head.

Merriman + Ryan = Win. The guy needs a coach and a team that will allow him, and help him, reinvent himself as a player. The upside alone is worth the money it'd take to bring him in, because it really won't cost that much once he's cut.

Agreed, but I would imagine if he had any idea LT still had this much in his tank he wouldn't have let him go. Or maybe he did and just decided to let him go regardless.

If Merriman is capable of putting up 10+ sacks, I highly doubt they'd let him go, especially when English hasn't done much to prove he's ready to take the reigns. If merriman could come here and play at a high level, i'm sure Smith would be kicking himself in the a$$. They're just lucky shaun phillips is playing well.

Couple things with LT:

He and Rivers just never got along. It went from LT's offense to Rivers' offense, and I'm not sure LT took that too well.

I think he wanted to get rid of him a year early rather than a year late. If he was in SD this year doing what he's doing here than the public outcry to have him retire a SD would just create an ugly situation. They'd either have to pay him money he probably shouldn't get considering the point in his career he's at, or have a really, really, really crappy breakup that the fans would understand less than they do now.

My view on Merriman is that if a franchise and coach has the balls and the patience they'll get a nice little payoff. The guy simply has to get healthy and get to reinventing himself...At 26 it's totally doable.

Couple things with LT:

He and Rivers just never got along. It went from LT's offense to Rivers' offense, and I'm not sure LT took that too well.

I think he wanted to get rid of him a year early rather than a year late. If he was in SD this year doing what he's doing here than the public outcry to have him retire a SD would just create an ugly situation. They'd either have to pay him money he probably shouldn't get considering the point in his career he's at, or have a really, really, really crappy breakup that the fans would understand less than they do now.

My view on Merriman is that if a franchise and coach has the balls and the patience they'll get a nice little payoff. The guy simply has to get healthy and get to reinventing himself...At 26 it's totally doable.

Agreed on all accounts; their loss is our gain.

If healthy, at 26, I see no reason he can't get back to a moderately high level. Could be a defensive philosophic change?? I'm not too familiar with everything that's changed, but Merriman had 17 sacks in '06 and Phillips had 11.5..neither has reached or eclipsed that number since. Could be nothing, but it's not as if they are 33+ year olds, something else could be at work.

Agreed on all accounts; their loss is our gain.

If healthy, at 26, I see no reason he can't get back to a moderately high level. Could be a defensive philosophic change?? I'm not too familiar with everything that's changed, but Merriman had 17 sacks in '06 and Phillips had 11.5..neither has reached or eclipsed that number since. Could be nothing, but it's not as if they are 33+ year olds, something else could be at work.

Well they've got a Cover 2 defensive coordinator coordinating a D that just a few years ago was one of the best 3-4 Ds in the league. Rivera's adopted the 3-4 in SD, but I'm not a fan of guys having to adapt to systems...Didn't end too well for Bob Sutton.

Also, the fall of an awesome 3-4 DL (Castillo-Williams-Olshansky) couldn't have helped anyone. Castillo is always injured, Olshansky was let go, and Williams was just plain getting old and less durable.

I feel like moves for guys like Merriman are ones great coaches make because they see the good rather than the bad. I wouldn't hold it against the Jets if they didn't sign him, but I would hold it against them if they didn't even try. The upside is just worth the relatively small gamble...And in this D? Merriman thrived in the pressure D the mid-2000's Chargers ran.

Considering the sport the steroid factor means nothing to me. Just because the NFL hasn't been taken to congress doesn't mean steroids aren't all over the league.

No one is going to look fresh and new in the first couple years after knee surgery, but guys do come back...Frank Gore and Willis McGahee come right off the top of my head.

Merriman + Ryan = Win. The guy needs a coach and a team that will allow him, and help him, reinvent himself as a player. The upside alone is worth the money it'd take to bring him in, because it really won't cost that much once he's cut.

I also remember hearing Ryan and posters saying that all Gholston needed was coaching...how's that turning out?

I also remember hearing Ryan and posters saying that all Gholston needed was coaching...how's that turning out?

That's true, but Ryan never said Gholston was going to turn into a stud. At least he's contributing now ya know. Besides, it's just like Lloyd over in Denver, sometimes if ya have talent and are just able to stay in the league long enough, you'll find a system that fits ya. I wouldn't be surprised if ya see Gholston in this league for 7ish years and pull of 1 or 2 very good seasons.

Merriman has already thrived in this style of D for a couple years, had a few years off and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he came back healthy and had another couple more good ones. Regardless of whether we sign him or not, I'm excited to see what he does in the next few years.

I think Shawne Merriman has shown he can do a tad bit more in this league than Gholston has.

We're talking about a guy who a couple years ago was getting talk as the best defensive player in the league...I was always a Ware guy, but Merriman was pretty damn close....and again, he's only 26/27 in his second year after a knee surgery. Like BJ12, I'm excited to see what he accomplishes in the next few years.

I'm pretty sure Rex was just trying to pump him up and doesn't really think so. And I'm pretty sure most fans just want to see something, anything out of Gholston. It's more of a hope and belief...kind of like the Brett Ratliffe love from years past, or the people that actually think Clemens is an NFL QB. It's just blind, silly hope.

Merriman on the other hand has actually done something in this league and does have success in his history. It is possible for him to turn it around. I wouldn't bet my house either on or against it.

It seems pretty simple. The Jets always kick the tires. Bring him in for a workout. You'll be able to tell if he can run and cut. If he can't, screw him. If he can he'd love to come here. Personally, I don't care one way or the other. FWIW, he played in 14 games last year, plus the playoffs. Anybody even remember him being on the field in that beating? He might just be done.

i can't believe people actually want this roid freak. The guy was a product of roids, when he was off them, he has been absolutely worthless.

I never understood this sentiment, as I think it's more one of those things people hear and just keep on repeating. He was suspended his second season for four games and went on to have his best season ever; 17 sacks, 1 int, 8 pd and 4 ff. He followed that up with a 12.5 sack season where he was schemed against even moreso. Was he off of roids at this point?? Maybe, maybe not, wouldn't surprise me one bit if he was still on the juice. But he clearly performed well after the suspension and the only thing that has hampered him the last couple years has been severe injuries and his dumbass attitude to try to play through some of them.

I never understood this sentiment, as I think it's more one of those things people hear and just keep on repeating. He was suspended his second season for four games and went on to have his best season ever; 17 sacks, 1 int, 8 pd and 4 ff. He followed that up with a 12.5 sack season where he was schemed against even moreso. Was he off of roids at this point?? Maybe, maybe not, wouldn't surprise me one bit if he was still on the juice. But he clearly performed well after the suspension and the only thing that has hampered him the last couple years has been severe injuries and his dumbass attitude to try to play through some of them.

Nobody does that man.

i can't believe people actually want this roid freak. The guy was a product of roids, when he was off them, he has been absolutely worthless.

It's more a matter of I think San Diego is just really bad at knowing when a player is finished. It's not like he would cost much. He already knows a few guys on this team and I know some great boxing gyms he can train at out here (his father was a boxer and he trains in the off season) hell we ARE the boxing Mecca out here.

I think he can contribute here. If he can't, well, it's not like he will cost much and he can be cut whenever.

Also, the Chargers didn't outright cut him. I have never heard of this minor IR thing before. AFAIK he wasn't even injured enough to miss a game. I don't know why they couldn't outright cut him, but maybe this is one of those "yeah we don't want him but make us an offer" type moves the Chargers are getting famous for.

The more I think about this guy getting cut the more I think we're the best fit for him. We have a bunch of ex-Chargers, a coach who lives to work with athletes of Merriman's caliber, and the perfect defense for a guy like him who loves to play downhill.

I don't want to get ahead of myself but I'm excited to see how this situation ends for Merriman and where he ends up.

• 3 weeks later...

after he got busted he came back and go hurt. Roids causes serious problems with your joints so any time one of these guys (the a-roids of the world included) get off roids and go clean...you can count the days to the next injury.

The dude is done. He was drafted on the pretense he was on roids, had he been off it through his college days and of course his combine, he would have been drafted in the second half of the draft if at all.

It's no wonder he was in the tops in bench press and 40 yard dash time...nobody that size reports those combine numbers unless there is something amiss. He's a product of roids, nothing more.

Archived