Gholston will get his first sack in Denver

ZachEY

We've been through this dance before, now you'll tell me why we can't pick any of those players at 6, when the reality is, the question that needs to be asked is, 'how could we pick Vernon Gholston at 6'.

indeed. Mayo and DRC have both had injury issues. We could have picked these guys and they would have been hurt.

if Flacco, no Sanchez. If we want to pretend that Mike Tannenbaum could announce a late first like Chris Johnson or a 2nd rounder like Desean Jackson to the Radio city crowd... well that's interesting idea...

and before we go writing this guy's career epitaph he's 24 and in year 3. You all are so sure it's impossible this guy gets better?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

indeed. Mayo and DRC have both had injury issues. We could have picked these guys and they would have been hurt.

if Flacco, no Sanchez. If we want to pretend that Mike Tannenbaum could announce a late first like Chris Johnson or a 2nd rounder like Desean Jackson to the Radio city crowd... well that's interesting idea...

and before we go writing this guy's career epitaph he's 24 and in year 3. You all are so sure it's impossible this guy gets better?

Mayo only missed 5 games last year, and Cromartie wasn't hurt until the playoff last year. Its not like they missed a lot of time. As for Flacco, I didn't say him because most believed the Kellen would be a competent starter at the time, so Flacco didn't fit then. And Gholston has showed us nothing in three years, why should we expect him to ever show anything?

Jerod Mayo

Dominique Rodgers Cromartie

Joe Flacco

Chris Johnson

Mike Jenkins

Kenny Phillips

DeSean Jackson

Ray Rice

I would rather have any of these players on the team then Gholston.

We've been through this dance before, now you'll tell me why we can't pick any of those players at 6, when the reality is, the question that needs to be asked is, 'how could we pick Vernon Gholston at 6'.

Of course you would EY, but that's not reality.

I happen to agree with bit that the Jets hands were pretty much tied at draft time. Either trade down (which is very difficult from the #6 position) or take a flyer on another player.

Gholston was probably a consensus top 10 draft pick on all 32 team boards, but he did also have some big red flags. Could you imagine the Jet fan base if Tanny took a projected late-first, early 2nd pick like Flacco, Johnson, Rice or Jackson, with the #6 overall pick?

WHERE'S VERNON?: After showing some early promise, DE/OLB Vernon Gholston has all but disappeared -- again. He barely got on the field in Denver. Recently-signed Trevor Pryce has taken over Gholston's spot in the D-line rotation and, now that Calvin Pace is healthy, Gholston really isn't needed at outside linebacker.

if Bryan Thomas, Calvin Pace, James Farrior, Mike Vrabel and a hundred other DE/OLB can get better as they age, so can Vernon Gholston.

and if you don't believe me... believe Rex Ryan. He's the guy who makes the roster decisions and who is active on game day.

if Bryan Thomas, Calvin Pace, James Farrior, Mike Vrabel and a hundred other DE/OLB can get better as they age, so can Vernon Gholston.

and if you don't believe me... believe Rex Ryan. He's the guy who makes the roster decisions and who is active on game day.

ya, i think its over for him as a jet though, unless someone gets hurt.

I fully expect him to be cut at end of season.

Bit, if there was a single play--just one--that Gholston produced against NFL competition that showed a hint of promise I might agree with you (in part). But he's shown absolute zero. He's currently playing in a defense that's tailor-made for his alleged talents, for a coach that wants to play him, on a team that sees guys like Mike DeVito and Jammal Westerman making plays in the backfield. He has zero excuses left, bud. He's failed wherever he's been lined up. It's noble of you to stick by a prospect, but at some point you have to acknowledge that he's just a bust.

James Farrior never got good at 3-4 OLB, Bill Cowher mover him to ILB and he got good their.

Calvin Pace never picked up the DE position, they moved him to linebacker after Dansby went down and he succeeded there

Mike Vrabel never got a chance to play in Pittsburgh, thats why Cowher let him go to free agency.

And in his time as a DE, Bryan Thomas didn't exactly play all the time either. in his first four 4 seasons while John Abraham was there, he had 6.5 sacks in 20 starts and after Abe left he moved to OLB.

Plus none of them got off to the pathetic start to their careers that Gholston did.

Of course you would EY, but that's not reality.

I happen to agree with bit that the Jets hands were pretty much tied at draft time. Either trade down (which is very difficult from the #6 position) or take a flyer on another player.

Gholston was probably a consensus top 10 draft pick on all 32 team boards, but he did also have some big red flags. Could you imagine the Jet fan base if Tanny took a projected late-first, early 2nd pick like Flacco, Johnson, Rice or Jackson, with the #6 overall pick?

No, it's not reality, but I've been asked who I would pick in that slot, I have a list of names.

I don't care what the Jet Fan Base does that day at Radio City, I care what the Jet Football Team does on the field.

Vernon Gholston is awful, and if the lay fans on this board were wary of the flags, then that should be magnified for the people paid to make the decisions.

The only thing that makes this NOT D-Rob 2.0 is that we didn't trade up for him. D-Rob was a superior player to Gholston. By a lot.

Are you ever going to acknowledge the fact that all of these players were better at this point of their career than Gholston is?

Are you ever going to acknowledge the fact that none of these players were called guys who 'took plays off' and 'disappeared in games' and 'don't appear interested in football'?

Does any of that matter to you?

Are you ever going to acknowledge the fact that all of these players were better at this point of their career than Gholston is?

Are you ever going to acknowledge the fact that none of these players were called guys who 'took plays off' and 'disappeared in games' and 'don't appear interested in football'?

Does any of that matter to you?

Not until he's out of football. You saw how long he rode the D-rob train. He rode that bitch until it had 5 kids and was on welfare.

LOL your talking about players who may not have been studs early on but they could at the very least play the game and not be a complete all around embarressment.

Your defense of this player is borderline insane. If you cant see by now this goes deeper thn just physical ability you really are lost and beyond homeage (new word there ) B) .

Archived