The Walking Dead

SenorGato

Check out Peaky Blinders.  Once you get past the accents it's a fantastic show. 

Tried watching it 2 weeks ago. I wasn't able to turn it up loud enough and figured I'd try again eventually. The subject matter is intriguing, it's just about making time.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tried watching it 2 weeks ago. I wasn't able to turn it up loud enough and figured I'd try again eventually. The subject matter is intriguing, it's just about making time.

Takes two to four episodes to allow yourself to here words rather than ramblings.  once you do it's a very interesting twist on a crime family drama.  So good.

I watched about 10 episodes of season 4 and have 1 episode of season 5 left before I'm fully caught up.

This thread spoiled the Beth death for me, so I'll be watching this episode as a formality. I'm really disappointed with where they've gone. I predicted that Eugene was lying to get people to keep him alive the minute they introduced him. I thought the cannibals were interesting, and some of the character development along the way to getting to Terminus was interesting, but I feel like they're plodding through this stuff to draw it out. I don't think finding out that Darrell was poor white trash needs a complete episode when you're 4 years into him being part of the show.

I love that good sci-fi often finds ways to incorporate social commentary, and I see what they are going for, but I agree with some of the comments from you guys... they aren't pulling it off. Zombies eat humans, cannibals eat humans, humans kill humans, moral dilemma, redundant emotional moments, wash, rinse, repeat.

I'm hoping the back half of season 5 re-invigorates the story side of this. Ride now I feel like it's just weak attempts at trying to be heady, with poorly choreographed zombie killing in between.

Might be time to re-think the zombies as a threat. I've said from day one with this show, the zombies aren't really a factor if you can get away from them by walking fast. The reason cars are constantly breaking down or already destroyed when they find them is because a car would immediately break the paradigm of threat presented by the zombies. Hell, a 10-speed bike would do it.

This show needs some World War Z style undead.

Word. The show has run so long that the zombies have become repetitive noise in the background. Would have been interesting to see some evolution to the virus whereby bodies didn't instantly decompose once they die. I'm also not sure why they didn't use the influx of new characters from Woodbury to change up the core group. Everyone is disposable outside of Rick, Michonne, Daryl, and Carol. As mentioned earlier, I would love to see Glen picked off, then Abraham, then the atrocious Carl. His awful monologue during that episode where Rick is unconscious was possibly the worst acting in television history.

I watched about 10 episodes of season 4 and have 1 episode of season 5 left before I'm fully caught up.

This thread spoiled the Beth death for me, so I'll be watching this episode as a formality. I'm really disappointed with where they've gone. I predicted that Eugene was lying to get people to keep him alive the minute they introduced him. I thought the cannibals were interesting, and some of the character development along the way to getting to Terminus was interesting, but I feel like they're plodding through this stuff to draw it out. I don't think finding out that Darrell was poor white trash needs a complete episode when you're 4 years into him being part of the show.

I love that good sci-fi often finds ways to incorporate social commentary, and I see what they are going for, but I agree with some of the comments from you guys... they aren't pulling it off. Zombies eat humans, cannibals eat humans, humans kill humans, moral dilemma, redundant emotional moments, wash, rinse, repeat.

I'm hoping the back half of season 5 re-invigorates the story side of this. Ride now I feel like it's just weak attempts at trying to be heady, with poorly choreographed zombie killing in between.

Might be time to re-think the zombies as a threat. I've said from day one with this show, the zombies aren't really a factor if you can get away from them by walking fast. The reason cars are constantly breaking down or already destroyed when they find them is because a car would immediately break the paradigm of threat presented by the zombies. Hell, a 10-speed bike would do it. 

This show needs some World War Z style undead.

And that would be a perfect lead in to Negan...if the show goes that way, but they probably build up to him like Terminus and then kill him off in the first episode.

And that would be a perfect lead in to Negan...if the show goes that way, but they probably build up to him like Terminus and then kill him off in the first episode.

I don't know the comic book, so I'm assuming this is some sort of super-zombie in the source material?

Also, I re-watched World War Z this weekend. Damn that movie was done right.

It's so interesting how with WWZ the zombies are a legit threat, and it forces the story towards mankind unifying. Erasing the idea of countries and politics, and really positioning it as species vs. virus. Whereas with Walking Dead, the zombies are such a laughable threat, that the story relies entirely upon the redefinition of "country" and "family" as a groups of trusted people, and the only threat is other groups and what their "politics" are around welcoming new members, food source, killing zombies, killing people, and retention of pre-zombie ethics (in other words, not raping the women).

Walking Dead has so little to do with zombies, it has begun disappointing me. I've talked about this before, but AMC has a formula that works, they present viewers with moral dilemma, no actual heroes, and makes them choose amongst the lesser of evils. I like it, it works usually, but I feel like it is falling down a little with the Walking Dead. They need to dig deeper and layer something more on top of this moral dilemma paradigm that is their go to. It's like their layup, they need to work on their jumper.

I don't know the comic book, so I'm assuming this is some sort of super-zombie in the source material?

No.  I have never read the comics either, but I have heard him talked about on Talking Dead and in articles I have read. 

My impression is he is the love child of sadistic governor and psychotic Rick. 

My S.W.A.G. is the next path of the series is that the zombies are a lesser threat and people are now the rea, threat.  The sound bite from Rick telling Carl, "even when you think you are safe; you are not safe".

No.  I have never read the comics either, but I have heard him talked about on Talking Dead and in articles I have read. 

My S.W.A.G. is the next path of the series is that the zombies are a lesser threat and people are now the rea, threat.  The sound bite from Rick telling Carl, "even when you think you are safe; you are not safe".

Gotcha.

I actually don't watch Talking Dead. I should, I guess.

Gotcha.

I actually don't watch Talking Dead. I should, I guess.

It is okay.  There is nothing Earth shattering, but Chris Hardwick and two guests discuss the show.  Sometimes it will show a different perspective.  The guests can be good or completely bat sh*t crazy (Marilyn Manson).

• 2 weeks later...

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhh

I second that.

They're just going to keep committing entire episodes to letting secondary characters over-emote until nobody watches.

Yup.

Walking Dead or Homeland, which is the most overrated piece of crap on television? Strong lean towards the Walking Dead. 

Better Call Saul looks like it will be good though.  :yes:

I would give it to Walking Dead.

They wasted the first part of the season on nothing and continued that with this episode.

Negan is an antagonist in the later issues of the novels. He makes the Governor seem kind of sane, so I'll just leave it at that.

There are a lot of potential events and settings they could use from the novels that they haven't yet, so there is a lot of speculation that is where the show will eventually lead. 

What happened with the zombies at the barn door?One minutes they're breaking in, next day they're all cut up by pine trees.  I understand they have to fill up the time. But WD and "The Killing" are tied for most episodes where nothing much really happens. 

What happened with the zombies at the barn door?One minutes they're breaking in, next day they're all cut up by pine trees.  I understand they have to fill up the time. But WD and "The Killing" are tied for most episodes where nothing much really happens. 

Tornado got 'em 

Watched the first 32 minutes. Everyone had their own cutaway where they each had a chance to whine about their plight. Tyreese's sister was taking Tyreese's place as Biggest Liability on the team. Is there any reason to watch the second half hour?

I usually defend the show to a fault but it was a bad episode.

I'm surprised she didn't gather up the dead frogs, thems good eatin'.

The only reason to watch was for the very last minute.

Also, I re-watched World War Z this weekend. Damn that movie was done right.

It's so interesting how with WWZ the zombies are a legit threat, and it forces the story towards mankind unifying. Erasing the idea of countries and politics, and really positioning it as species vs. virus. Whereas with Walking Dead, the zombies are such a laughable threat, that the story relies entirely upon the redefinition of "country" and "family" as a groups of trusted people, and the only threat is other groups and what their "politics" are around welcoming new members, food source, killing zombies, killing people, and retention of pre-zombie ethics (in other words, not raping the women).

Walking Dead has so little to do with zombies, it has begun disappointing me. I've talked about this before, but AMC has a formula that works, they present viewers with moral dilemma, no actual heroes, and makes them choose amongst the lesser of evils. I like it, it works usually, but I feel like it is falling down a little with the Walking Dead. They need to dig deeper and layer something more on top of this moral dilemma paradigm that is their go to. It's like their layup, they need to work on their jumper.

If they are fast, sick and alive, they're not Zombies.

If they are slow, rotting and dead/mindless, they are Zombies.

I don;t know what that horrible abortion of a film World War Z was, but it most certainly wasn't a quality Zombie film.

Locust movie maybe, but not Zombies.

Whats funny is everyone here seems to claim to hate Walking Dead, yet they're almost all clearly still watching every second of it week after week.

Maybe if it's so bad.....stop watching?

I don;t know what that horrible abortion of a film World War Z was, but it most certainly wasn't a quality Zombie film.

Whats funny is everyone here seems to claim to hate Walking Dead, yet they're almost all clearly still watching every second of it week after week.

I don't see anyone claiming to "hate" it. I see people who care about the craft of storytelling, talking about the storytelling quality. I think people still watch because it has had an interesting ebb and flow, has shown promise that it can be really good from a story standpoint, and in the meantime offers up enough "cool" to make it worth waiting for the writers to slump here and there.

Pretty sure the "zombies" in WWZ were dead. IMO a good movie, regardless of whatever purist semantics you want to haggle over.

Call them Infected then; what was it they had in that movie, was it rabies or something? Or am I thinking of Quarantine? 

Regardless, fast zombies are more terrifying than slow, shambling zombies.

You liked World War Z.  

Your opinions on storytelling and quality are hence easily ignored my friend.

I'm not comparing WWZ to a show like Breaking Bad, which is more or less the context for discussing any half-decent show. I like Walking Dead, in spite of the poor storytelling and quality. I like lots of entertainment that is lacking both...  

An appropriate comparison for WWZ is classic zombie movies, which you already made reference to, and which are notoriously defined by bad story and production quality. Your dig at me is moot.

I'm not comparing WWZ to a show like Breaking Bad, which is more or less the context for discussing any half-decent show. I like Walking Dead, in spite of the poor storytelling and quality. I like lots of entertainment that is lacking both...  

An appropriate comparison for WWZ is classic zombie movies, which you already made reference to, and which are notoriously defined by bad story and production quality. Your dig at me is moot.

Yeah, but WWZ was brain dead as ****. You'll accept a maximum amount of stupidity in any zombie movie, but Brad Pitt went wayyyyyyy past that threshold.

Yeah, but WWZ was brain dead as ****. You'll accept a maximum amount of stupidity in any zombie movie, but Brad Pitt went wayyyyyyy past that threshold.

I guess I should be thankful that I have a collection of savants and aficionados to help me determine how much stupid is too much stupid... in movies about reanimated dead people that like to eat brains.

Let that sink in.

I reject out of hand the idea of "bad storytelling" in Walking Dead.  It's worlds better than almost everything on TV today.

Is it the equal of the very best?  No, that I would agree.  I'm a big fan of "Americans" on FX, and would say the storytelling there is superior.

Is it better than 95% of everything else on equivalent TV on pure storytelling and characters alone?  Absolutely.

In the realm of "Zombies!" and the like, there is the Walking Dead and thats it.  I cannot think of ANY other Zombie fiction thats even in the same ballpark.  

Perhaps your threshold for quality is too high, expecting Breaking Bad or Mad Men from a Zombie Comic-Book Show.  

But for a Zombie Comic-Book Show, it's absolutely exceptional.  

I reject out of hand the idea of "bad storytelling" in Walking Dead.  It's worlds better than almost everything on TV today.

Is it the equal of the very best?  No, that I would agree.

Is it better than 95% of everything else on pure storytelling and characters alone?  Absolutely.

In the realm of "Zombies!" and the like, there is the Walking Dead and thats it.  I cannot think of ANY other Zombie fiction thats even in the same ballpark.  

Perhaps your threshold for quality is too high, expecting Breaking Bad or Mad Men from a Zombie Comic-Book Show.  

I am not the only one here criticizing the writing quality. Like I said, the show has an ebb and flow to it, they burn episodes... and I believe most of the critiques you see here are tied to weak episodes or stretches of seasons, not the show overall. 

I'm also cracking up at you basically using "bad story" as a critique of WWZ and as a defense of Walking Dead. You sound so conflicted.

I reject out of hand the idea of "bad storytelling" in Walking Dead. It's worlds better than almost everything on TV today.

Is it the equal of the very best? No, that I would agree. I'm a big fan of "Americans" on FX, and would say the storytelling there is superior.

Is it better than 95% of everything else on equivalent TV on pure storytelling and characters alone? Absolutely.

In the realm of "Zombies!" and the like, there is the Walking Dead and thats it. I cannot think of ANY other Zombie fiction thats even in the same ballpark.

It's lost its way, Fish. I admire their willingness to delve into some realism, but they beat you over the head with scenes of constant despair. This is two seasons now of everyone just being depressed. We get it: they're both Walking! And Dead (emotionally)! I'm sure I'd be pretty maudlin in those circumstances as well, but I wouldn't expect it to be entertaining to watch. There are about four people on the show who can act, all of the peripheral characters are two-dimensional, and they keep replicating the same John Boehner-esque villain-type over and over again. I'll keep watching with the hope that there's some grand payoff to be had, but that doesn't mean that I have to support every wasted episode wherein they focus on a sh*tty actor butchering monologues in an attempt to make their sh*tty character relevant.

I am not the only one here criticizing the writing quality. Like I said, the show has an ebb and flow to it, they burn episodes... and I believe most of the critiques you see here are tied to weak episodes or stretches of seasons, not the show overall. 

I'm also cracking up at you basically using "bad story" as a critique of WWZ and as a defense of Walking Dead. You sound so conflicted.

Then allow me to be clear, World War Z was one of the worst movies I've ever seen, in almost every way.

The only redeeming factor that film posessed was a few brief moments of special effects.

The Walking Dead is one of the best TV shows I've watched in the modern era (i.e. since HBO and cable started making regular episodic television).

World War Z had no story of any kind and was horrifically written as a film (I hear the book is better, but cannot speak to it).  

Walking Dead is very well written, both in plotting and characterization, and is able to forge an emotional bond between the audience and the characters.

I hope this clarifies any "conflict" you think I might have my friend.  :)

21 Days Later was a MUCH better "Fast/Sick Infected" film, I should add.  Little weak at the end though.

Archived