The Walking Dead

SenorGato

25 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Not really, no.  We're asked to suspend our disbelief that the dead are being reanimated by some biological pathogen which we have not been explained.  Then, we place normal, everyday people, on the same earth with the same physics, as you and I live in, and follow then as they struggle with the new reality created by this biological pathogen.  The majority of the time, this is how the show, and literally every other work based on zombies, besides the campy "Zombies in Space," or comedies as I28  points out, works.  What happens when our world comes to an end, by way of biological disaster?  That's what we're faced with.  Explained another way, what if Luke Cage just showed up in an episode?  A guy that was bulletproof?  Would this be a problem?  Based on the extrapolation of 'it's a show about something impossible (Zombie Apocalypse)' logic, it shouldn't be.  We've already accepted Zombies, so why not a bullet proof man?  What if Rick started flying, and shooting heat lazers from his eyes, ala Superman?  I guess I'm saying, you've asked us to accept one unrealistic premise, and we're okay with that... When you start to pile on, well:

I get it.  I think you're taking it to extremes with your examples but I do see your frustrations with it and get what you're saying.  I guess I just dont see what you guys are complaining about or the list you guys created being so unrealistic that I cant accept it beyond already accepting the premise.  

Sure, they're cheesy but that doesn bother me.  It's the other stuff.  The long draw out episodes of pure boredom.  I'll take the cheesy campy stuff over that any day.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Well said. I stopped watching after the second episode this season. Negan is a gigantic doofus. Belongs in a Bugs Bunny cartoon. The governor was a billion times more sinister. Sitting in his fish tank zombie skull collection room brushing the falling out hair of his zombie daughter.  That guy was a quality villain. Negan belongs in a parody of a Zombie movie. You 100% nailed it with Shaun of The Dead.  Yet at least that was funny. It is sad what this amazing show turned into. 

I agree overall about Negan...like I said earlier, the character is just kind of stupid, has some major flaws and doesnt compare at all to how bad ass the Governor was.  However, I'm enjoying JDM's performance.  I think he's playing it really well.  And I personally enjoyed the psychopath trying to play house in Alexandria.  The awkwardness was fun!

16 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

We have different definitions of dominate.  Getting the drop on them (Daryl and killing everyone in the outpost) and escaping from a woman dying from cancer, a guy bleeding out, is hardly what I call dominating.  The had a tactical advantage and exploited it.  The Carol/Maggie escape was a tad lame (too easy) IMHO, but I digress.

The Saviors use some tactical sense.  They use LMRs to communicate between groups.  The Saviors had a coordinated effort to deny Rick's group access to the Hilltop and funneled them to a certain point.  Where are you going to ambush them?  They just learned where the sanctuary is.  In order to execute an ambush, you need to know when and where they are going to be.  Otherwise, you are just wasting time.  Plus, you need to overwhelm them with numbers or fire superiority.  They are not going to out gun them so unless they have a bomb maker it is going to be hard to disable/blow up their vehicles with Morgan's staff.  Leaving dead bodies in the road was lame last week.

I am saying they need to unite.  Hilltop, Kingdom and Alexandria at the very least.  If the woman island want to join in or at the very least arm the other groups, even better.  Attack the sanctuary at night/before dawn.  Again, try to get the jump on them.  Jesus was able to get inside the compound.  Use this route to get in as quick and as quietly as possible.  Grab weapons if you can and/or start killing people like they did at the outpost.

In theory, they need to either continue playing along for another week or two so they can get organized or they hit them now when they least expect it.  An ambush, especially after what Rick's group did, will set off alarm bells and have them raise their alert level.  I do not think it is a viable means right now.  Not if that is the only thing they are going to do.

I guess I consider winning every interaction, dominating.  Whatevs. 

You're idea works if you're saying they need to join forces.  Otherwise, its a suicide mission.  

My idea is now that you know their path/road they take, set up some type of diversion on the road and ambush them.  It's would be pretty easy, actually. They take weapons and supplies and then they can start working toward a bigger plan.

You win the battles, to win the war.  

20 minutes ago, JiF said:

I get it.  I think you're taking it to extremes with your examples but I do see your frustrations with it and get what you're saying.  I guess I just dont see what you guys are complaining about or the list you guys created being so unrealistic that I cant accept it beyond already accepting the premise.  

Sure, they're cheesy but that doesn bother me.  It's the other stuff.  The long draw out episodes of pure boredom.  I'll take the cheesy campy stuff over that any day.

Well, you also thought Sons of Anarchy was a good show, and that Blink 182 is punk rock. 

So, there's that too.

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

Well, you also thought Sons of Anarchy was a good show, and that Blink 182 is punk rock. 

So, there's that too.

Love SOA.  Top 3 favorite all times shows.  Much better than Walking Dead. 

Blink 182 is the worst band in the history of music.

18 minutes ago, JiF said:

I agree overall about Negan...like I said earlier, the character is just kind of stupid, has some major flaws and doesnt compare at all to how bad ass the Governor was.  However, I'm enjoying JDM's performance.  I think he's playing it really well.  And I personally enjoyed the psychopath trying to play house in Alexandria.  The awkwardness was fun!

Disagree about him playing it well. He sings one note, over and over. That's the basis of the criticism that he's just not an interesting villain.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

Just not feeling JDM as Neegan. I was expecting so much more in the first episode this season. It was so over the top from a performance standpoint that I didn't even give a crap when he smashed in Glenn's and Abrahams dome. Just didn't produce the angst I usually feel during those type of scenes. Like the trough scene at terminus stayed with me for days. It felt real man, sinister and dehumanizing. Also cool because the first guy to get his head head rattled and throat cut was the kid that plays the Penguin on Gotham.

The head bashing scene was just strange and awkward. JDM came off as a tall goofy hipster totally unconnected to the scene. Like he walked on the set from another show. Way over did the heartless ruthless act to the point of losing the ability to create angst. Like I said earlier it felt like a parody. I know.. How real can a zombie apocalypse show be? The beauty of the earlier seasons was exactly that. They took something totally ridiculous and made you feel it. The early zombie attacks with people getting torn to shreads were captivating. Especially when it was someone's love one watching as it happen. You felt it with them. I actually got sick to my stomach when Carils daughter walked out of the barn all zombied  up. Doesn't matter. I'm done with it. It was great while it lasted. 

Odd because I loved JDM as the comedian. He carried that entire flick. Even liked him in the couple episodes of Greys and Suoernatural I have seen. But in this? Just terrible. Talk dorky hipsters in skinny jeans scare no one. I expect him to just start laughing at himself after every line he gives like they do in SNL skits. 

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Disagree about him playing it well. He sings one note, over and over. That's the basis of the criticism that he's just not an interesting villain.

I dont think that's his fault.  I think the character is just stupid...but for what it is, I feel like JDM is making the most out of it. 

2 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Just not feeling JDM as Neegan. I was expecting so much more in the first episode this season. It was so over the top from a performance standpoint that I didn't even give a crap when he smashed in Glenn's and Abrahams dome. Just didn't produce the angst I usually feel during those type of scenes. Like the trough scene at terminus stayed with me for days. It felt real man, sinister and dehumanizing. Also cool because the first guy to get his head head rattled and throat cut was the kid that plays the Penguin on Gotham.

The head bashing scene was just strange and awkward. JDM came off as a tall goofy hipster totally unconnected to the scene. Like he walked on the set from another show. Way over did the heartless ruthless act to the point of losing the ability to create angst. Like I said earlier it felt like a parody. I know.. How real can a zombie apocalypse show be? The beauty of the earlier seasons was exactly that. They took something totally ridiculous and made you feel it. The early zombie attacks with people getting torn to shreads were captivating. Especially when it was someone's love one watching as it happen. You felt it with them. I actually got sick to my stomach when Carils daughter walked out of the barn all zombied  up. Doesn't matter. I'm done with it. It was great while it lasted. 

Odd because I loved JDM as the comedian. He carried that entire flick. Even liked him in the couple episodes of Greys and Suoernatural I have seen. But in this? Just terrible. Talk dorky hipsters in skinny jeans scare no one. I expect him to just start laughing at himself after every line he gives like they do in SNL skits. 

Too each their own.  The opening episode was extremely intense for me.  Edge of the seat type sh*t.  I thought the last 2 were fun.  The rest of the season was terrible. 

I'm enjoying JDM.  The character?  It's stupid but I like what JDM's doing with it so he makes it enjoyable for me.

Different strokes for different folks. 

Ape thinks Good Charlotte is the great punk band of all time.  Go figure. 

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Too each their own.  The opening episode was extremely intense for me.  Edge of the seat type sh*t.  I thought the last 2 were fun.  The rest of the season was terrible. 

I'm enjoying JDM.  The character?  It's stupid but I like what JDM's doing with it so he makes it enjoyable for me.

I'm with you man. If your happy Im happy sweet one. 

54 minutes ago, JiF said:

lol, always stealing my material... for the record, I had to google "Good Charlotte" to figure out what band you were referring to. that seems more like @Jetsfan80's style of music... or things a 14-year old girl would like.

23 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

lol, always stealing my material... for the record, I had to google "Good Charlotte" to figure out what band you were referring to. that seems more like @Jetsfan80's style of music... or things a 14-year old girl would like.

Now that's funny! I once saw someone wearing g a blue hoody with good chatlotte printed on it. It was about a 14 year old girl.i kid you not. LOL

13 hours ago, AFJF said:

Negan is the best villain ever.  Dude does an incredible job in that role.  He should have his own damn show.

haha - you trolling?  

I dont think Negan is the best villain ever....far from it.  But I'm with you, I love JDM as Negan.

On 12/15/2016 at 9:34 AM, JiF said:

I'm definitely taking it to extremes with my examples, but doing so to illustrate a point.  I agree with you, this last episode was the best of the season, but it's still a little tough to stomach that we've established 'the crew' as pretty excellent marksmen, then she takes the shot and it hits square in the middle of a bat, which, why was the bat up in front of his face? And then, the baseball bat essentially stops the bullet?  With no further damage?  I guess you could argue that Eugene made a pretty weak bullet, but I'm not sure thats the route they're going.

4 hours ago, JiF said:

haha - you trolling?  

I dont think Negan is the best villain ever....far from it.  But I'm with you, I love JDM as Negan.

Never seen a villain who makes me LOL while he's ruthlessly murdering characters I like.

He's just so damn funny.

SOA was always dumb. But it kinda went off the rails at that point. Still watched it, but it was marking time until they killed Clay. And then Sutter's idea seemed to put his wife front&center every episode either out of vanity or to see how far he could push the audience to the point they wanted Jax to kill his mom . Had a good idea about Hamlet in a motorcycle gang and then ...

Thank you! SOA became laughable. Absolutely laughable. 2-3 seasons of "we're gonna kill Clay...but wait we can't ....yet...maybe next week dun dun dun!!" Overlapping the premise of "Jax is gonnasave us and get us out of guns....but wait...not yet... because we just have to sell these guns one more time....until next week we'll be out I promise....oh sh*t we gotta sell more guns to get out of selling guns....wait what....Moooommmm!!!! Ok let's go sell some guns so I can kill myself"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 12/17/2016 at 0:00 PM, Snell41 said:

Thank you! SOA became laughable. Absolutely laughable. 2-3 seasons of "we're gonna kill Clay...but wait we can't ....yet...maybe next week dun dun dun!!" Overlapping the premise of "Jax is gonnasave us and get us out of guns....but wait...not yet... because we just have to sell these guns one more time....until next week we'll be out I promise....oh sh*t we gotta sell more guns to get out of selling guns....wait what....Moooommmm!!!! Ok let's go sell some guns so I can kill myself"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of these shows go on way too long.  Even the comedies eventually run out of stories and just drag, which is where Big Bang Theory and Modern Family are right now.  Walking Dead, depending on your opinion, either has already, or will meet the same fate eventually.  I mean, once this Negan story resolves itself, there will be a new, bigger, badder enemy to face off against, no?  But, SOA had, as I said before here, one of the worst endings I can remember in a show I followed.

On 12/19/2016 at 9:37 AM, gEYno said:

Most of these shows go on way too long.  Even the comedies eventually run out of stories and just drag, which is where Big Bang Theory and Modern Family are right now.  Walking Dead, depending on your opinion, either has already, or will meet the same fate eventually.  I mean, once this Negan story resolves itself, there will be a new, bigger, badder enemy to face off against, no?  But, SOA had, as I said before here, one of the worst endings I can remember in a show I followed.

Modern Family was done after 1 season. 

Season 2 they immediately shifted from story telling to a framework for each character to do what they do: Gloria scream, Claire be neurotic, Phil be doofus... and so on. A collection of caricatures redundantly doing their one thing over and over, rather than a story with characters that have quirks that surface occasionally.

On 12/19/2016 at 8:37 AM, gEYno said:

That can be said for most if not all shows.

There is only a finite amount of original ideas/plots that a show can come up with.  Eventually, a show will have to dust off an old plot line and use it again with changes.  

The Walking Dead is no different.  It might even have a narrower line to navigate as it is about a zombie apocalypse.  It is either about people or zombies.  The comic goes well beyond Negan. 

It shifts in a slightly different direction as it goes from feral pacts of humans wandering the countryside.  To one were communities are established (Alexandria, Hilltop, Kingdom, Woman Island). 

As with any show, people are going to tune out.  People into zombie apocalypse might not like the humanizing of the show.

• 1 month later...

Looks like they are getting right to the civil war. At least building up to it. Was surprised, and happy, by that.

This new group looks huge. Wasn't smart for them to send 500 people to surround Rick though. One grenade could have blown them all up.

45 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Decent.  Reason for optimism for the 2nd half of the season.

Define Optimism.

I liked the episode, but I do not have any hope they will get into the war too far in the seven remaining episodes.

I always figured the woman colony would play into the war seeing they had a good arsenal of weapons.  This new young group looks to have a good  arsenal as well.

Anyways, back on point, seven episodes to get the Colony, Kingdom, the Women colony and/or Young Guns on board to attack the Saviors.  I think the remaining season will be okay at best until the last episode or two when the war may actually start.

3 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

Define Optimism.

I liked the episode, but I do not have any hope they will get into the war too far in the seven remaining episodes.

I always figured the woman colony would play into the war seeing they had a good arsenal of weapons.  This new young group looks to have a good  arsenal as well.

Anyways, back on point, seven episodes to get the Colony, Kingdom, the Women colony and/or Young Guns on board to attack the Saviors.  I think the remaining season will be okay at best until the last episode or two when the war may actually start.

Optimism - that it won't suck nearly as bad as part one.  There aren't any measurables by which I'm evaluating.  Less boring, less absurd, more entertainment.

3 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

Define Optimism.

Agreed , just like we knew Rick wasn't going to decide to fight until the last 5 minutes of episode 8....all out war will most likely start in the last 5 minutes of episode 16

Solid opening episode.  I'm happy that the King decided against going to war.  If they just strolled around and easily convinced everyone to join them and nobody resisted, it it would have been very boring and stupid leading up to the war.  Which is the word everyone keeps using and really makes me wonder what is it going to be like? 

A stand off?  Similar to how The Governor stormed the Prison? Like old school mid-evil sh*t, just line up and go?  Or do you think it will be more tactical and strategic?  I certainly think the later would be more compelling TV and keep the Neegan story arch going a little bit longer. 

I loved the intro of the new group.  They were massive, well armed and they looked like fighters with some emo in them which could be good drama.  I wonder if they know about the Saviors or other factions for that matter.  I assume that the smile was because Rick figures he could use them to fight the Saviors as opposed to seeing the Priest in the crowd. I wonder if the shoe we saw in the last season was this new crew?  Or was it the Priest?   Which makes me wonder WTF he's doing. He took all their food?  Why?  Where did he go? 

Also, what happened to the Wolves?   Have they just disappeared? 

Does Carol have the hots for the King?  I bet she's the one that convinces him to go to war after finding out the battle their having with the saviors. 

And can someone just beat the living sh*t out of Morgan already?  My god. 

And I know I'm supposed to hate Gregory...but he cracks me the **** up.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Solid opening episode.  I'm happy that the King decided against going to war.  If they just strolled around and easily convinced everyone to join them and nobody resisted, it it would have been very boring and stupid leading up to the war.  Which is the word everyone keeps using and really makes me wonder what is it going to be like? 

A stand off?  Similar to how The Governor stormed the Prison? Like old school mid-evil sh*t, just line up and go?  Or do you think it will be more tactical and strategic?  I certainly think the later would be more compelling TV and keep the Neegan story arch going a little bit longer. 

I loved the intro of the new group.  They were massive, well armed and they looked like fighters with some emo in them which could be good drama.  I wonder if they know about the Saviors or other factions for that matter.  I assume that the smile was because Rick figures he could use them to fight the Saviors as opposed to seeing the Priest in the crowd. I wonder if the shoe we saw in the last season was this new crew?  Or was it the Priest?   Which makes me wonder WTF he's doing. He took all their food?  Why?  Where did he go? 

Also, what happened to the Wolves?   Have they just disappeared? 

Does Carol have the hots for the King?  I bet she's the one that convinces him to go to war after finding out the battle their having with the saviors. 

And can someone just beat the living sh*t out of Morgan already?  My god. 

And I know I'm supposed to hate Gregory...but he cracks me the **** up.

Yea from ezikeils point of view he seems to have a decent thing going , why in the hell would he go to war because some stranger walked in and asked him to ? It would've been stupid if he just agreed right away . Disagree about Morgan , say what you want but he was right, people died that didn't have to because of Rick , and Morgan called it ..also he's the only one using his head again , why hadn't anyone else thought of what he said ? Just Kill Negan? He's always putting himself in vulnerable positions anyway , shouldn't be that hard actually . Agree on Gregory, the guy is hysterical! They're doing a bad job if they are trying to make the viewers hate him .

37 minutes ago, Jolot said:

Yea from ezikeils point of view he seems to have a decent thing going , why in the hell would he go to war because some stranger walked in and asked him to ? It would've been stupid if he just agreed right away . Disagree about Morgan , say what you want but he was right, people died that didn't have to because of Rick , and Morgan called it ..also he's the only one using his head again , why hadn't anyone else thought of what he said ? Just Kill Negan? He's always putting himself in vulnerable positions anyway , shouldn't be that hard actually . Agree on Gregory, the guy is hysterical! They're doing a bad job if they are trying to make the viewers hate him .

Yeah, the Kingdom situation is an interesting one.  He kind of does have a pretty good deal going with them if all they're taking is some live stock here and there but never actually entering the walls.  Clearly though, not everyone agrees with the King from the Kingdom.  And I dont think the King truly gets how gnarly the Saviors are.  I'd be interested to learn how they were introduced to the Saviors and how this agreement came into play.  However, like Daryl said...how long will the agreement last before Negan decides to go Negan on them? 

Disagree with your disagree on Morgan.  He let people live who in turn, came back to kill people in Alexandria and the immediate crew.  He had chances to eliminate the threat and instead let them live and in turn, people died because he didnt have the balls to end it.  Remember, the dude he kidnapped, he faced in the woods with another one of the Wolves.  Now, I will agree that his idea has some merit but they've basically had 2 people attempt to take him out (Rosita and Carl which he clearly doest know) and it hasnt exactly panned out to well.  Granted they were half ass attempts but they did happen and not only did they lose lives over it, they also kidnapped the guy who can make bullets. He seems to have a ton of faithful soldiers as well.  I dont think cutting off the head in this case is the answer.  There would still be a war after from his loyalists. 

I want more Gregory.  Dude is great. 

On 2/14/2017 at 11:42 AM, JiF said:

Yeah, the Kingdom situation is an interesting one.  He kind of does have a pretty good deal going with them if all they're taking is some live stock here and there but never actually entering the walls.  Clearly though, not everyone agrees with the King from the Kingdom.  And I dont think the King truly gets how gnarly the Saviors are.  I'd be interested to learn how they were introduced to the Saviors and how this agreement came into play.  However, like Daryl said...how long will the agreement last before Negan decides to go Negan on them? 

Disagree with your disagree on Morgan.  He let people live who in turn, came back to kill people in Alexandria and the immediate crew.  He had chances to eliminate the threat and instead let them live and in turn, people died because he didnt have the balls to end it.  Remember, the dude he kidnapped, he faced in the woods with another one of the Wolves.  Now, I will agree that his idea has some merit but they've basically had 2 people attempt to take him out (Rosita and Carl which he clearly doest know) and it hasnt exactly panned out to well.  Granted they were half ass attempts but they did happen and not only did they lose lives over it, they also kidnapped the guy who can make bullets. He seems to have a ton of faithful soldiers as well.  I dont think cutting off the head in this case is the answer.  There would still be a war after from his loyalists. 

I want more Gregory.  Dude is great.

I think he does.

If I remember correctly, the kid who he has taken under his wing dad was killed by walkers.  I think he was killed by Negan a la the Glenn/Abraham initiation.

I agree with just killing Negan is not the answer.  There is a power structure in place.  While killing Negan might create a void, SImon or another could quickly fill the role and the 'haves' of the saviors would still be in power.

12 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

Par for the course.

Good episode.

I do not see the war being all out this season as there are still too many things to tie together and only 6 episodes left.

Yep.  Agreed.  But I'm very happy with the first 2 episodes.

The only knock being that terrible CGI they used to show the junkyard or whatever they were in when Rick was at the top of the trash heap.

Are we to assume that Daryl and Carrol ****?  Or are they just good friends?  lol

Father Gabriel is turning into a bad ass. 

Rosita is very annoying and a terrible actress.  Very hot though.

And when does home girl tell them about the all women arsenal?  Why is she holding back? 

The King is a gigantic pussy.  I wonder if he can even fight? 

Archived