TMQ Calls Leonhard Hit Illegal

JetsFan220

I am not sure if any of you guys read Tuesday Morning Quarterback on Page 2 of ESPN.com, but this pissed me off when I saw it...

"Jim Leonhard of the Jets was flagged for a helmet-to-helmet hit at Denver. Tony Corrente was the referee for that game, and his crew deserves credit."

Obviously Easterbrook did not watch this whole game as this crew deserves 0 credit...one of the worst games of officiating I have ever seen.

Here is the link to the whole article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/101019_tuesday_morning_quarterback&sportCat=nfl

Easterbrook is apparently a moron or blind. Probably both.

This whole topic has been stealing my serenity man. I want to punch someone in the face today! I can't believe what the NFL is becoming.

It's FOOTBALL!!!! The reason I like it over sports like baseball and basketball is because people get their heads knocked off!

I'm MISERABLE over this hard hittin BS that is consuming the news over the past two days.

I am not sure if any of you guys read Tuesday Morning Quarterback on Page 2 of ESPN.com, but this pissed me off when I saw it...

"Jim Leonhard of the Jets was flagged for a helmet-to-helmet hit at Denver. Tony Corrente was the referee for that game, and his crew deserves credit."

Obviously Easterbrook did not watch this whole game as this crew deserves 0 credit...one of the worst games of officiating I have ever seen.

Here is the link to the whole article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/101019_tuesday_morning_quarterback&sportCat=nfl

The priceless part is the line before:

A few officials call the penalty properly. Jim Leonhard of the Jets was flagged for a helmet-to-helmet hit at Denver. Tony Corrente was the referee for that game, and his crew deserves credit.

Except it wasn't called properly in Leonhard's case. Leonhard's helmet didn't make contact with anything on that play.

This whole topic has been stealing my serenity man. I want to punch someone in the face today! I can't believe what the NFL is becoming.

It's FOOTBALL!!!! The reason I like it over sports like baseball and basketball is because people get their heads knocked off!

I'm MISERABLE over this hard hittin BS that is consuming the news over the past two days.

You and me both brother. I fear it's only going to got worse.

I just emailed this guy and told him to actually watch the game this time and see if he still feels that way about the officiating crew and that hit in particular.

The response I received:

"will go back and look, thanks -- gregg"

Maybe he will do the right thing and correct himself in next weeks article...doubt it (it would take too much to admit he was wrong)

Peter Kings MMQB from today made it a point to bring up something that Florio said about Leonards hit. Confirmed that it was not a head shot.

One more interesting point raised by ProFootballTalk.com's Mike Florio: Why not have the replay official empowered to buzz down from the booth to the referee if he sees an egregious physical call that the officiating crew missed? Or to correct a call that obviously was wrong in that regard? Such a case happened in the Jets-Broncos game Sunday, when New York safety Jim Leonhard was called for a personal foul for a helmet-to-helmet hit on the Broncos' Brandon Lloyd. Replays showed Leonard never hit Lloyd in the head.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/10/19/mailbag/index.html#ixzz12pJG3mYT

Peter Kings MMQB from today made it a point to bring up something that Florio said about Leonards hit. Confirmed that it was not a head shot.

One more interesting point raised by ProFootballTalk.com's Mike Florio: Why not have the replay official empowered to buzz down from the booth to the referee if he sees an egregious physical call that the officiating crew missed? Or to correct a call that obviously was wrong in that regard? Such a case happened in the Jets-Broncos game Sunday, when New York safety Jim Leonhard was called for a personal foul for a helmet-to-helmet hit on the Broncos' Brandon Lloyd. Replays showed Leonard never hit Lloyd in the head.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/10/19/mailbag/index.html#ixzz12pJG3mYT

Great point. That play wound up getting challenged by the Jets. Why not empower the official to pick up the flag if he sees on the replay that no foul occured? He's looking at it anyway.

Great point. That play wound up getting challenged by the Jets. Why not empower the official to pick up the flag if he sees on the replay that no foul occured? He's looking at it anyway.

If you can challenge a penalty for 12 men on the field, you should be able to challenge this.

If you can challenge a penalty for 12 men on the field, you should be able to challenge this.

Agreed. Especially considering the nature of the penalty. Its usually such a bang bang type play that you cant honestly see with a blind eye unless its plainly obvious.

JL had the presence in mind to actually lead with his hands on the play. It was so not a penalty it ridiculous.

He obviously didn't watch the play.

McDaniels on his radio show appearance said it was a bad call. McDaniels was right there (the play happened in front of him) and he said that Leonard never hit the WR in the head.

He did change it:

Note: The original version of this column said that in the game' date=' Jim Leonhard of the Jets was penalized for a helmet-to-helmet hit. That's wrong. The flag was for unnecessary roughness -- officials judged a Denver receiver along the sideline had already gone out of bounds when Leonhard struck him. The hit itself was textbook contact not involving either players' helmet -- but "unnecessary" roughness since the Broncos player was going out of bounds. TMQ thinks the officiating crew called this play correctly, but did not explain the call well to the crowd.[/quote']

But before you applaud him...notice in the article he refers to the Jets as Jersey/B. So he's still a douchenozzle. True fact.

He did change it:

But before you applaud him...notice in the article he refers to the Jets as Jersey/B. So he's still a douchenozzle. True fact.

Oh it's that same douche. Well no wonder he assumed they made the right call without even looking at it :rolleyes: .

Sports writers should never try to be comedians as they are rarely good at it.

He did change it:

But that is still a bunch of BS. The receiver had his back to the sidelines, trying to get his feet down. Leonhard hit him trying to either separate him from the ball or knock him out of bounds. No matter how they spin it, it was a terrible call.

Just watched the 10 minute replay on fios on demand (love this its awesome). They show the catch and hit in slow motion, and if you notice the Ref reaches for the flag 2 or 3 steps before Leohnard even hits him, my guess is he figured the WR had no shot at catching the ball and was anticipating a hitting a defenseless WR call and had to change hiss call once he realized the ball was a completion. I don't understand why anticipate just let the play develop and drop the flag when its necessary, bad job by the official.

i get your point. but some hits can get a little "too extreme"

Agreed. Especially considering the nature of the penalty. Its usually such a bang bang type play that you cant honestly see with a blind eye unless its plainly obvious.

JL had the presence in mind to actually lead with his hands on the play. It was so not a penalty it ridiculous.

That's what makes all the more aggravating. You could see that he actually had the presence of mind to not use his head. you could see it in the replay

i get your point. but some hits can get a little "too extreme"

Of course. A helmet to helmet hit is too extreme. If someone is coming over the middle and gets creamed with a shoulder pad to the chest and his head snaps forward with the ball going flying in the air, that is called football. We have other sports for people who don't like to see hits like that.

Basketball for example has fouls for when people touch each other. Go watch that if you don't like to see hitting.

Of course. A helmet to helmet hit is too extreme. If someone is coming over the middle and gets creamed with a shoulder pad to the chest and his head snaps forward with the ball going flying in the air, that is called football. We have other sports for people who don't like to see hits like that.

Basketball for example has fouls for when people touch each other. Go watch that if you don't like to see hitting.

I was just trying to make a point man..

He did change it:

WOW...Not even a shout out since I am the person who emailed him and told him to re-watch the play and he emailed back saying he would...Greggy does not like finding out he was wrong....

Archived