James Harrison excused from practice, contemplating retirement

Bergen Jet

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just on the NFL network. James Harrison is contemplating retirement due to the fine he received for the hit this past weekend and I assume his displeasure in the way these things are being handled.

Yes apparently he thinks his hit on Massaquoi was legal and he can't believe hes getting fined 75K for it. Whatever, he should be fined and suspended in my book that hit was clearly not legal.

On second thought, considering the Jets have to play the Steelers in week 15, I think James Harrison is absolutely right. This isn't fair! He should retire and never play another football game ever again!

Next monday he can retire after another fine for knocking out Henne. This week I want him playing

What a crybaby little bitch. He's not going to retire, he's just throwing a little hissy fit temper tantrum. Newsflash Harrison, if you don't want to get fined then don't take shots at other players. He probably didn't exactly help his cause either by talking about he you doesn't care if he hurts anyone. What a douche.

While this is a little ridiculous, I heard an interview with him on the I think it was the Dan Patrick show yesterday? Not sure, but it was pretty candid and the guy had great points.

You're whole Football career, as a defender, you are literally taught at nausea, dont let receiver come over the middle and if they do, make them pay for it so that they think twice about doing it again.

He's kind of a crazy dude, but I also respect the guy. When I played, I wanted to hurt people. Nobody wants to injury anyone, but I definitely wanted to hit people and make them think about running my way a 2nd time.

Good. Quit. You're a baby. Give up MILLIONS because of a $75,000 fine. Quit on your team. Quit on your fans. You really think anyone is going to have sympathy for you? Go eff off asswipe.

Quit after you play the Fins D*CK!!!

While this is a little ridiculous, I heard an interview with him on the I think it was the Dan Patrick show yesterday? Not sure, but it was pretty candid and the guy had great points.

You're whole Football career, as a defender, you are literally taught at nausea, dont let receiver come over the middle and if they do, make them pay for it so that they think twice about doing it again.

He's kind of a crazy dude, but I also respect the guy. When I played, I wanted to hurt people. Nobody wants to injury anyone, but I definitely wanted to hit people and make them think about running my way a 2nd time.

Yes but you are taught to get your helmet on the ball, wrap them up and break their body in half.

Not go at them like a freaking seal with your arms pinned back and your helmet at the chest/chin.

you Know not to defend the guy but I don't think you guys see what's really happening here. Defensive players are thought to play a certain kind of way and the NFL is what it is because of the rough nature of the game. So now the NFL decides one day you can't play in this matter any more, and even if the contact is incidental you can still face suspension. I just don't think this is fair or or the correct way to handle things. Reasons why I see this getting way out of hand. their even talking ejections. Here's a great example (imo). Last game Jim Leonhard was flagged for a dirty hit. it cost us 15 yards. now any football fan knows that call was B.S. . Under these new rules, if that hit was a week later, guess what, we risk losing him for the remainder of the game, and maybe the next as well. just saying, THINK ABOUT IT!

Yes but you are taught to get your helmet on the ball, wrap them up and break their body in half.

Not go at them like a freaking seal with your arms pinned back and your helmet at the chest/chin.

True...but if you've ever played...its bang bang. Not every time is going to be a text book tackle.

The other thing he brought up that is spot on is how the league protect only offensive players. It is perfectly acceptable by NFL standards for a RB to lower his head and take on a defender, he's also allowed to grab the face mask.

Whats the difference between Brandon Jacobs lowering his helmet and running over say a little dude like Drew Coleman or what Harrison did?

True...but if you've ever played...its bang bang. Not every time is going to be a text book tackle.

The other thing he brought up that is spot on is how the league protect only offensive players. It is perfectly acceptable by NFL standards for a RB to lower his head and take on a defender, he's also allowed to grab the face mask.

Whats the difference between Brandon Jacobs lowering his helmet and running over say a little dude like Drew Coleman or what Harrison did?

The difference is BOTH of those players are gearing up for a hit... right or wrong that is the difference.

I did play and I know you cannot always do it perfect, but I also know I did not launch like a seal at people.

The difference is BOTH of those players are gearing up for a hit... right or wrong that is the difference.

I did play and I know you cannot always do it perfect, but I also know I did not launch like a seal at people.

Then you didnt play aggressively. I played MLB for all my years in High School and when I wanted to jar a ball, I launched to try and get that ball loose. I'm not a big guy in LB'er standards and needed everything I had on those hits.

And again, its a double standard, its o.k. for a RB to finish a run by launching at a defender, but its not o.k. for the defense?

If this rule was implemented on offense, John Connor would be broke by the end of the year.

Then you didnt play aggressively. I played MLB for all my years in High School and when I wanted to jar a ball, I launched to try and get that ball loose. I'm not a big guy in LB'er standards and needed everything I had on those hits.

And again, its a double standard, its o.k. for a RB to finish a run by launching at a defender, but its not o.k. for the defense?

If this rule was implemented on offense, John Connor would be broke by the end of the year.

I played as hard as I could, I did not try to rock someones helmet to knock a ball out though. I knocked the ball out instead of the player.

Don't give me the BS that it is impossible not to lead with your head, or that the game is "too fast".

It is no coincidence that YAC is on the rise... tackling sucks... players are HITTING, not TACKLING. There is a difference.

I played as hard as I could, I did not try to rock someones helmet to knock a ball out though. I knocked the ball out instead of the player.

Don't give me the BS that it is impossible not to lead with your head, or that the game is "too fast".

It is no coincidence that YAC is on the rise... tackling sucks... players are HITTING, not TACKLING. There is a difference.

Who said anything about leading with your head? You said launch...and I definitely launched to jar a ball. Like I said, I wasnt a big dude...I needed everything I had to get that ball loose especially against bigger players.

I agree 100% that helmet spears should result in a fine, but not the launching b.s....that sh*t is stupid.

And I agree, tackling does suck, but players are much faster and stronger than they ever were before. Its all relative.

No he wouldn't. I've never seen John Connor lower his head and try to use it as a weapon, T-Rich neither. That would be terrible blocking technique. There are rules in place concerning chop blocks.

Harrison is a headhunting thug. **** him.

And no, Jif, this is nothing to do with defenders being tought that anyone going over the middle should be laid out.

Harrison leads with the crown of his helmet on EVERY attempted "tackle." Watch him. He lowers his head and goes in head first. He's a professional spearer. It's just the pussy NFL refs who don't flag him.

He is the quintessential dirty player. Defenders can light up another player all they want, just don't headhunt. Harrison is a headhunter. Case closed.

Whiny little bitch. Go back to being an UDFA JAG before the steroids and headhunting.

No he wouldn't. I've never seen John Connor lower his head and try to use it as a weapon, T-Rich neither. That would be terrible blocking technique. There are rules in place concerning chop blocks.

I thought we got past this...its not just about players leading with their helmet. Its also about players launching to hit and block. Which Connor does, hell, Rex played it over and over again on hard knocks. There is a defenseless guy running through the Carolina's punt coverage and Connor leaves his feet to spin the guy like a helicopter. Dude it was premeditated. Westy talked about it before the game and then Connor went in their and like Rex said, "killed the guy".

Its not just helmet spearing anymore, thats where this has all gone wrong. Not to mention the double standard for offensive players.

Who said anything about leading with your head? You said launch...and I definitely launched to jar a ball. Like I said, I wasnt a big dude...I needed everything I had to get that ball loose especially against bigger players.

Thanks for the insight, aec4.

And no, Jif, this is nothing to do with defenders being tought that anyone going over the middle should be laid out.

Then you arent paying attention. You can now get flagged or fined for launching or even just landing a vicious hit. Totally different then leading with a helmet.

Dunta Robinson had a perfectly legal hit on DJack. He got fined.

The rule is ridiculous.

Archived