NY Jets Head Back To Work

Maxman

NY Jets Head Back To Work

in Featured Editorials

jets.gif The bye week is over and so is the vacation for the New York Jets. They will head back to Florham Park on Monday to begin preparation for their next opponent, the Green Bay Packers. Here is some news from around the league:

Here is the Cimini article that is linked above:

Jets post-bye storylines

October, 24, 2010 Oct 24 11:18 AM ET

By Rich Cimini After a six-day respite, the New York Jets return to work Monday, the first day of the rest of their season --a season of tantalizing possibilities. Here's a look at some of the stories that will play out (and emerge) over the next 10-plus weeks:

The not-so-dominating defense. The Jets' defense is -- dare we say it? -- average, ranked only 14th in the NFL. That's good enough to get into the playoffs, but not good enough to win a championship. Rex Ryan's creativity, coupled with a healthy Darrelle Revis (they hope), should help matters considerably over the final 10 games.

A consistent Mark Sanchez. In the spring, Sanchez told me his goal for 2010 was single-digit interceptions -- a lofty goal, considering he had 20 last season. But guess what? Right now, he's on a five-interception pace. There's no way he can keep it up, especially against a difficult four-game stretch in December, but he's playing well enough to win games. That's a big change from last season, when he was playing to not lose games.

Revis Island. It's been a tumultuous few months for Revis, from his holdout to his hamstring injury to his speeding ticket. If the hammy is healed, Revis is out of alibis. He should be able to get back to his past form, or close to it. The team needs him.

Post-bye blues? One season isn't a large sample -- I get that -- but it's worth noting that the Jets lost two straight last season after their bye week. There was the defensive meltdown against the Jacksonville Jaguars, prompting Ryan to fire his D-line coach, followed by the Sanchez meltdown against the New England Patriots.

LaDainian Tomlinson's workload. Not only is he a strong candidate for Comeback Player for the year, but he should be mentioned in the MVP conversation. The question is, how much is too much for a 31-year-old running back? He's averaging 15 carries per games. Barring injury, he should be fine at his current pace for the stretch run. Anything more than 15 could be pushing it.

Tough closing schedule. Starting Nov. 21, the Jets have a difficult six-game stretch in which the combined record of their opponents is 21-11. That includes three rough road games -- at New England, Pittsburgh and Chicago. Unlike last year, none of their opponents is going to lay down, not counting the Buffalo Bills (Jan. 2), who are so bad that it might seem like they're mailing it in even if they're not.

The Santonio Holmes factor. Since returning from his suspension, Holmes has been No. 3 in the pecking order. He has been targeted 14 times, behind Braylon Edwards (19) and Jerricho Cotchery (17) and ahead of Dustin Keller (11). It's going to be fascinating to see how the passing game evolves and whether the egos remain happy. We've already seen Holmes, in the Denver game, telling O.C. Brian Schottenheimer that he wants the ball. Was that an ultra-competitive player trying to help his team or a diva receiver feeling neglected? Time will tell.

Prosperity. The Jets made their bones last season as a team of resilience, fighting back from two three-game losing streaks to make the playoffs. This time, they're ahead of the pack. How will they handle prosperity? There's no evidence to think it should be a problem. This team has won 10 of its last 12 regular-season games, and the two losses could've gone either way. The Jets always show up to play. Why would a team that hasn't won anything in 40-something years succumb to complacency with so much in front of them? Won't happen. Shouldn't happen.

For anyone who is unfamiliar with Cimini, allow me to translate. Here's what he said first, then what he actually meant:

Here is the Cimini article that is linked above:

Jets post-bye storylines

October, 24, 2010 Oct 24 11:18 AM ET

By Rich Cimini After a six-day respite, the New York Jets return to work Monday, the first day of the rest of their season --a season of tantalizing possibilities. Here's a look at some of the stories that will play out (and emerge) over the next 10-plus weeks:

The not-so-dominating defense. The Jets' defense is -- dare we say it? -- average, ranked only 14th in the NFL. That's good enough to get into the playoffs, but not good enough to win a championship. Rex Ryan's creativity, coupled with a healthy Darrelle Revis (they hope), should help matters considerably over the final 10 games.

The Jets defense is just "average"!

A consistent Mark Sanchez. In the spring, Sanchez told me his goal for 2010 was single-digit interceptions -- a lofty goal, considering he had 20 last season. But guess what? Right now, he's on a five-interception pace. There's no way he can keep it up, especially against a difficult four-game stretch in December, but he's playing well enough to win games. That's a big change from last season, when he was playing to not lose games.

Sanchez is going to throw a bunch of picks!

Revis Island. It's been a tumultuous few months for Revis, from his holdout to his hamstring injury to his speeding ticket. If the hammy is healed, Revis is out of alibis. He should be able to get back to his past form, or close to it. The team needs him.

Revis will never be the same!

Post-bye blues? One season isn't a large sample -- I get that -- but it's worth noting that the Jets lost two straight last season after their bye week. There was the defensive meltdown against the Jacksonville Jaguars, prompting Ryan to fire his D-line coach, followed by the Sanchez meltdown against the New England Patriots.

The Jets are about to go on a losing streak!

LaDainian Tomlinson's workload. Not only is he a strong candidate for Comeback Player for the year, but he should be mentioned in the MVP conversation. The question is, how much is too much for a 31-year-old running back? He's averaging 15 carries per games. Barring injury, he should be fine at his current pace for the stretch run. Anything more than 15 could be pushing it.

L.T. will fall apart and you won't be able to run the ball!

Tough closing schedule. Starting Nov. 21, the Jets have a difficult six-game stretch in which the combined record of their opponents is 21-11. That includes three rough road games -- at New England, Pittsburgh and Chicago. Unlike last year, none of their opponents is going to lay down, not counting the Buffalo Bills (Jan. 2), who are so bad that it might seem like they're mailing it in even if they're not.

Again with the losing streak.

The Santonio Holmes factor. Since returning from his suspension, Holmes has been No. 3 in the pecking order. He has been targeted 14 times, behind Braylon Edwards (19) and Jerricho Cotchery (17) and ahead of Dustin Keller (11). It's going to be fascinating to see how the passing game evolves and whether the egos remain happy. We've already seen Holmes, in the Denver game, telling O.C. Brian Schottenheimer that he wants the ball. Was that an ultra-competitive player trying to help his team or a diva receiver feeling neglected? Time will tell.

The Jets have bad chemistry!

Prosperity. The Jets made their bones last season as a team of resilience, fighting back from two three-game losing streaks to make the playoffs. This time, they're ahead of the pack. How will they handle prosperity? There's no evidence to think it should be a problem. This team has won 10 of its last 12 regular-season games, and the two losses could've gone either way. The Jets always show up to play. Why would a team that hasn't won anything in 40-something years succumb to complacency with so much in front of them? Won't happen. Shouldn't happen.

Here's a seed of doubt for you!

Cimini, what a douche!!!! You would think the team was 2-4 or something.

I didnt know that he complained to B Schitt in the Denver game.

A consistent Mark Sanchez. In the spring, Sanchez told me his goal for 2010 was single-digit interceptions -- a lofty goal, considering he had 20 last season. But guess what? Right now, he's on a five-interception pace. There's no way he can keep it up especially against a difficult four-game stretch in December, but he's playing well enough to win games. That's a big change from last season, when he was playing to not lose games.

This guy is such a douchebag. He couldnt just say "hopefully he can keep it up" instead of there's no way he can keep it up? I ****in hate this guy but it makes me smile knowing he has to cover this team that he obviousely can't stand! haha

a season of tantalizing possibilities.

The not-so-dominating defense. Rex Ryan's creativity, coupled with a healthy Darrelle Revis (they hope), should help matters considerably over the final 10 games.

Revis Island. He should be able to get back to his past form, or close to it. The team needs him.

LaDainian Tomlinson's workload.Barring injury, he should be fine at his current pace for the stretch run.

The Santonio Holmes factor Was that an ultra-competitive player trying to help his team or a diva receiver feeling neglected? Time will tell.

Prosperity. The Jets always show up to play. Why would a team that hasn't won anything in 40-something years succumb to complacency with so much in front of them? Won't happen. Shouldn't happen.

I know we like to bash Cimini, but he seems fine in this article. 5 INTs for the season? I'd say he has a point about Sanchez. He didn't even discount that he could pull off single digits. The above quotes are him giving the Jets to benefit of the doubt or at least provide both potential sides (Holmes factor). It's funny people want to get on him for this, because this seems like he read the boards and realized people don't want to read doom and gloom when the future looks so bright.

I know we like to bash Cimini, but he seems fine in this article. 5 INTs for the season? I'd say he has a point about Sanchez. He didn't even discount that he could pull off single digits. The above quotes are him giving the Jets to benefit of the doubt or at least provide both potential sides (Holmes factor). It's funny people want to get on him for this, because this seems like he read the boards and realized people don't want to read doom and gloom when the future looks so bright.

Its not that man, its just the way he ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS no matter what pulls out negative things. Like for example why include that Revis got a speeding ticket? WHo the **** cares?!?! He's an a$$hole who hates this team. Every article he writes has a negative spin on it. And do I think Sanchez is only gonna throw 5 picks? No lol But Still he couldnt just say "I hope he keeps it up and maybe he'll stay in single digits" It's like he doesnt realize Jets fans are reading what he writes. He writes about the Jets like he's writing for Pats and Phin fans.

Its not that man, its just the way he ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS no matter what pulls out negative things. Like for example why include that Revis got a speeding ticket? WHo the **** cares?!?! He's an a$$hole who hates this team. Every article he writes has a negative spin on it. And do I think Sanchez is only gonna throw 5 picks? No lol But Still he couldnt just say "I hope he keeps it up and maybe he'll stay in single digits" It's like he doesnt realize Jets fans are reading what he writes. He writes about the Jets like he's writing for Pats and Phin fans.

This article seems pretty positive to me. He says the Jets WILL NOT be complacent and he states they have been in every game. He says that Revis and the D should be better. I think it makes sense to wonder if Sanchez is going to keep this up. He looked like he was losing it against the Broncos. I'm not saying Cimini believes it or likes writing it, but this is a pretty positive article IMO.

This article seems pretty positive to me. He says the Jets WILL NOT be complacent and he states they have been in every game. He says that Revis and the D should be better. I think it makes sense to wonder if Sanchez is going to keep this up. He looked like he was losing it against the Broncos. I'm not saying Cimini believes it or likes writing it, but this is a pretty positive article IMO.

I guess for Cimini its positive but I disagree. Every one of those bullet points has a negative twist to it. With the expection of the prosperity one.

I guess for Cimini its positive but I disagree. Every one of those bullet points has a negative twist to it. With the expection of the prosperity one.

Oh, I'll agree with that. This article is strictly issue spotting. He spotted them and is giving the plus and minus. I don't think it's a pro Jets fluff piece like we used to get. Glass half full, glass half empty.

Oh, I'll agree with that. This article is strictly issue spotting. He spotted them and is giving the plus and minus. I don't think it's a pro Jets fluff piece like we used to get. Glass half full, glass half empty.

Yeah, all I'm saying he is just seems to LOVE spotting those issues haha He lost me after the Ravens game with all the BS he was writing. Making article title's like "Who's talking now?" I dont need to read that sh*t from a Jets beat writer.

Of course we've been in every game, we're 5-1. That's something you say about a team who is 1-5 but all 5 losses were by 3 points or less. Not about a team who has won 5 of 6 games.

Of course we've been in every game, we're 5-1. That's something you say about a team who is 1-5 but all 5 losses were by 3 points or less. Not about a team who has won 5 of 6 games.

He was including last year. He said the Jets have won 10 of their last 12 and the two losses could have gone either way." It's meaningful point when you are talking about a team that was 9-7 in 2009. It's also a positive one.

Archived