New York Knicks' Season Opener Game Thread...and on

BroadwayJoe12

What Seed Will the Knicks Get?? (I say 6th)  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What Seed Will The Knicks Get?

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kid put on a hell of a show, minus his 8 or so TOs, but that'll change with experience. He's even quicker than I thought he was, he had what, 10 steals?? It was absurd.

I don't think it's a reach to call him the fastest player in the league already. Watching him wiz by defenders going crosscourt is pretty unreal.

new_york_knicks_logo.gif vs chicago_bulls_logo.gif

Randolph will be making his debut and hopefully we can see Gallo start stroking again, or the bulls will be able to play off the perimeter and clog the lanes, rendering our pick and roll absolutely useless. Just another reason I cannot wait for Azubuike to come back.

Gonna be difficult to keep Noah off the boards, but we can just simply not give them more second chance buckets.

I expect chandler to not allow Deng to go off for 40 on us like he just did against the blazers, but than it will be a matter of stopping Drose.

Should be a good game regardless, I'm just excited to see Randolph's debut. First game on tnt in a while, hopefully we show up so we can shut up Barkley and his hatred for the knicks.

- That was a shooting 3-point clinic that Gallinari and Douglas put on. If you were ever to script exactly what a cold shooter needed to cure the slump, it would be a few days off followed by a defense that can get caught giving wide open looks at the rim from the perimeter way too often. Lucky, lucky, lucky.

- Douglas was simply fantastic. Credit Gallo’s first half all you want, but Chicago came out red-hot after the half and Douglas was a straight up cooler for their defense. He and Felton (with a much over-looked double/double) might not have been able to guard Rose, but nobody really can and they sure as hell held their own offensively with him. Every steal he made seemed like a momentum changer. Every foul he committed really counted for something. He had a great heads-up foul on Watson going cross-court with about 4 minutes to go that pretty much cooled off Chicago’s last push. He knew the Knicks weren’t in the penalty and that they’d have to inbound it; they did, missed a shot, and they rebutted with a quick two. That is textbook defense right there.

- Mozgov is putrid. He has no business being on the floor at all at this point. He brings nothing on either side of the ball. He’s afraid to challenge anyone in the paint and never knows where the ball is on offense. Noah and Rose feasted on him whenever he was on the floor and had D’Antoni not taken him out right away, I am 100% positive that Chicago would have closed that lead much closer than they already had.

- Fun little factoid from Hoopsworld the other day: The top 3 career scorers from the ’07 draft? Kevin Durant, Jeff Green, and your very own Wilson Chandler Knick fans. That step-back jumper he’s been running this season has been breaking ankles. That being said I can’t figure out how D’Antoni seems to manage his minutes. It’s really odd.

- Derrick Rose is unreal. I don’t know if there is anyone else in the league with as much body control once he leaves his feet. He is without question one of the top-ten players in the league right now and he’s getting pretty close to the top-five area. He’s not in the Durant/Kobe/Lebron echelon, and probably never will be, but you can’t tell me he’s not every bit as effective on the floor as Wade, Howard, Paul, and Melo. You really have to wonder what Thibodeau was thinking at the end. He’s going to get fried in Chicago in the morning. I get the Phil Jackson-esque thing of letting your guys on the floor keep doing it, but you wouldn’t see him ever do such a thing without Kobe on the floor with under 4 to go and down by 8. Ever. He’s your best perimeter defender and New York was still hitting a ton from outside. Just a complete choke job on the coaching end.

- I think a game like this afforded Ama’re such an opportunity to establish a real presence for the season. National game, on the road, conference matchup with a team that clearly should be making the playoffs, and they had a solid lead going into the 4th. That’s when a closer takes over. Instead, they kept with the hot hands and relied on him and Turiaf to set high screens as things wound down, and every time he got his hands on the ball, he was sloppy. He turned the ball over 8 times, many of those happening late in the 3rd and into the 4th. They won, and players have bad nights, but it’s still something to keep in mind.

- Going into tonight, they were 1st in the league in blocks, 6 on the night probably still has them there.

- I will continue to like Turiaf until he does something bad. He’s sneakily become one of the most valuable players on the floor with his intensity on defense. It’s kind of ironic that the guy who was thought of as the third guy that the Knicks got in the Lee trade is now providing the defense that Lee never did.

- Bottom line, when the Knicks shoot like that from the 3-point line, they probably won’t lose. I don't think any team can ever lose when they sink 3's like that. But there’s no way in hell they’re going to be shooting 70% on a regular basis. 7SOL got the job done, but this was a freak offensive occurrence for a W right here. 12 steals certainly doesn't hurt a team's chances though.

You really have to wonder what Thibodeau was thinking at the end. He’s going to get fried in Chicago in the morning. I get the Phil Jackson-esque thing of letting your guys on the floor keep doing it, but you wouldn’t see him ever do such a thing without Kobe on the floor with under 4 to go and down by 8. Ever. He’s your best perimeter defender and New York was still hitting a ton from outside. Just a complete choke job on the coaching end.

They've been antsy all week about the way Thibs has managed Noah's minutes, so this should send them into full-fledged apoplexy.

new_york_knicks_logo.gif vs washington_wizards_logo.gif

*Big game last night for Douglas who scored a career-high 30 points off the bench, Gallo went for 24 (21 in the first half) and Raymond Felton had 20 with 10 assists as New York went a lights out 16 of 24 from 3-point range...a few of those were last second shot clock prayers.

*Tonight's game against John Wall will be a lot like playing Rose. Both are lightning quick, have great body control and are forced to score more than ideal. Wall had 29 pt, 13 ast line to go along with a franchise tieing nine steals at home. The man who killed the dougie has also killed it on the floor scoring 57 points and dropping 22 dimes in his the last two games. It's gonna take both Felton and Douglas to contain Wall and i fully expect him, with both our guaaurds tenacious defense, to turn the ball over upwards of 8 again.

* One of my favorite things about Douglas is his energy and desire to win; "I know I can make shots. However, all I wanted to do was win. It's the same to me whether I score 35 or nothing, as long as we win." That's a far cry from the Al Harrington's of the past. This is a team that truly just wants to win.

*Another big key for us is matching up against their bigs. Blatche and Mcgee give them so much height, which means it would be nice to have Mozzy out on thee court, because when he's not making stupid follows he does use his height to alter and disrupt shots. He just desperately needs to get used to the NBA. I fully expect chandler to have a better game on the boards and defense, as he hopefully won't be in foul trouble so quickly this game.

All in all, this is a game we should win and have to win if we want to make the playoffs. The next 5 games are all games that we can win, albeit they are games we can lose as well. We have the talent to beat these teams and if we want to stay in contention, it's going to take getting above .500 before we start playing the heats and magics of the east.

Double Post.. Guess I should also add, it would be nice to see Randolph look like he's actually played basketball before. I love his potential and what he can do when he's knockin down his shot, but he must have one of the lowest BBIQs on our team.

Also, we desperately need to get Stoudemire the ball closer to the basket on the pick n roll and not have him starting with the ball at the top of the key, he is killing us with the TOs. I think he's pressing, but it'd be nice to have him start playing within himself and looking for the open man when he's getting doubled and tripled.

11 blocks, 11 steals, Felton looks like a real point guard, Gallo is back, Chandler is beastly, Douglass was incredible and STAT with 4 blocks.

This team is a good deal better than people give them credit for. I was the one idiot who said 50 wins and I really think it is going to happen.

I think Toney Douglas may have been slightly better than we originally expected. Hory jeez. I'll say it again, every single thing he does on the court really seems to just matter. The News compared him to Gary Payton last night and I think that's spot on. He's a nuisance on both ends of the floor. As far as Randolph goes, for a kid who's working his way back in, 7 boards in 10 minutes is pretty....well, awesome. If Ama're can break out of whatever funk he's in that has him playing averagely, look out. Been a long time since I've seen a Knick team above .500 that could attribute it to defensive play.

Not to be the guy who complains after back-to-back convincing victories, but Pringles is going to need to figure out how to get STAT the ball, because Felton still doesn't look good running the pick-and-roll. The guy is a fantastic finisher, but he can't be playing Iso from the top of the key, as that's not his game.

I'm not as down on Mozgov as some, as he showed what he's capable of in running the floor in the 1Q. He's got a ways to go, but having a young, true 7-footer with that level of athleticism can't be a bad thing. I'd like to see him get more minutes as long as he's not a total liability on the court, because I hate seeing Amar'e at the 5 and Turiaf can't play for 30 minutes.

Not to be the guy who complains after back-to-back convincing victories, but Pringles is going to need to figure out how to get STAT the ball, because Felton still doesn't look good running the pick-and-roll. The guy is a fantastic finisher, but he can't be playing Iso from the top of the key, as that's not his game.

I'm not as down on Mozgov as some, as he showed what he's capable of in running the floor in the 1Q. He's got a ways to go, but having a young, true 7-footer with that level of athleticism can't be a bad thing. I'd like to see him get more minutes as long as he's not a total liability on the court, because I hate seeing Amar'e at the 5 and Turiaf can't play for 30 minutes.

Spot on, JH. Especially about STAT on top of the key. That absolutely killed the Knicks in the Portland loss. That's not STAT's game.

I definitely like what I've seen. This could be a better team than we expected.

Of course, this looks like the best team the Knicks have had in 9 yrs and that POS Isiah is pining to get back in.

I'd like to eat Double Quarter Pounders every day as long as they don't make me fat.

Touche.

I don't think he's been as awful as you're making him out to be thus far. Randolph has 3 TO's and 5 fouls in 13 minutes and is shooting 1-7 from the floor and 0-2 from the line, all of which is good for a negative PER.... ready to drop him from the rotation already?

Touche.

I don't think he's been as awful as you're making him out to be thus far. Randolph has 3 TO's and 5 fouls in 13 minutes and is shooting 1-7 from the floor and 0-2 from the line, all of which is good for a negative PER.... ready to drop him from the rotation already?

He's at least sexy though. He saw the floor for 10 minutes and pulled in 7 boards with 2 blocks. On top of that he's coming off an ankle bug. What does Mozgov do? I think he looks decent running, sure, but he's a corpse when the court shrinks and especially on defense. The Bulls feasted him in Chicago. Ditto for Toronto. D'Antoni couldn't get him off the floor fast enough. He looked clueless in the Portland and Boston games. I've never said I don't think he can be good. I just don't think he's any good right now. I think he's intimidated as hell by the league. I see no advantage to having a 7-footer on the court if he doesn't challenge anyone in the paint, can't follow where the ball is, or set a screen, or defend a roll. At the very least, he could post up and create some space for STAT, but he seems so thrown by everything right now. I posted during the offseason that I think there's some solid potential and I've thoroughly enjoyed the fake twitter account that we've all been blessed with because of his arrival, but anything more than 5-10 minutes per at this point is too much of a risk.

Tough loss, but to tell you the truth, .500 is a great spot to be at during any point in the season in the East. What I like about every loss this season, especially today, is that you basically said to yourself at the end, "man we really should have won this one." I think that's a good thing for a team with an entirely brand new starting 5 on the floor (yeah, Gallo started last season, but only the last 20 games or so).

Tough loss, but to tell you the truth, .500 is a great spot to be at during any point in the season in the East. What I like about every loss this season, especially today, is that you basically said to yourself at the end, "man we really should have won this one." I think that's a good thing for a team with an entirely brand new starting 5 on the floor (yeah, Gallo started last season, but only the last 20 games or so).

They caught a break not having to play Orlando.

What a game, what a game. A few points:

- I think Golden State is simply a better team. Bottom line. Both teams were equally bad defensively tonight, and Turiaf being out was the difference-maker. Ellis and Curry are so exciting to watch. Douglas is no slouch on defense and Curry smoked him more than a few times. I'm adopting them as my West team from here on out. Love their lineup and they have, by far, the coolest uni's in the league. Lee was a great addition for that offense they run. Him sliding back out to the 4 opens up all sorts of passing lanes for their guards who are so fast. Every time you see Ellis thread a D, as a Knick fan, you really just sit there and say; "damn, almost." Curry even as well.

- I just don't understand that play at the top of the 3-point line to Gallo. Awful play. There was plenty of time left on the clock and they had 2 time-outs. Really no need for a quick 3-pointer at all.

- Ama're put the team on his back in the 4th and he was nothing less than superb. You can rip him all you want for the 2 missed FT's towards the end but he more than made up for it with that 3. They did a great job of isolating him for a couple 1 on 1 match-ups. He was almost perfect from the FT line in the second half and kept the intensity level high. I think he wanted this game so badly with Lee coming back to town. He refused to let the team give up and led an astonishing comeback against one of the premier offensive units in the league. That's why you pay Ama're $100 million and you don't break the bank for David Lee. As much as one loves white guys, leadership and intensity really is that much more valuable. He's their 3rd option on offense and I think that's the role he can excel in the most. Ama're was the best player on the floor tonight between both teams and it was that obvious.

- The injury to Ronny Turiaf was just a back-breaker. They win this game easily tonight with him on the floor. I think he's quickly become a Garden favorite. Even on the bench in a sport jacket, he was hyping the crowd, calling mismatches out to his teammates...etc.

- They were doing so well tonight when driving to the basket. I don't get why they were straying from it on half the possessions. Whether it was driving and dishing it back out or getting it to STAT down low, they were putting points on the board whenever they attacked.

- It took me a few games to pick up on it, but Fields has a really slow J and defenses are starting to try and exploit it. They're leaving him wide-open on the perimeter often, almost daring someone to kick it over. When they do, they attack, he hesitates, and the entire play gets turned over. Hate to say it as he's exceeded expectations so highly thus far, but it's becoming that much of a liability. They're just such a better offense when they attack rather than try and work the perimeter.

Its the same brainless Knicks basketball we've seen for 10 years now.

D'Antoni's philosophy of playing ZERO defense and living and dying by the three will get him fired mid season. Wilson Chandler is braindead. Felton is fat and cant run the pick and roll to save his life. Gallo is a lumbering, streaky spot shooter that moves like he's in his 40's. The fact that were even talking about Landry Fields is embarrassing considering the supposed dream offseason this team was supposed to have.

Dantoni needs the axe

I'm not generally a knee-jerk guy, but I'm done with D'Antoni. This team had no business taking 31 3's against a team with Lee and Biedrins guarding the paint. Instead, this should've been a game where Stoudemire had 20-25 attempts from the floor, putting up 40+ points - even with Felton's inability to effectively run the pick-and-roll.

As long as D'Antoni is here, barring Rufus emerging from the phone booth with Steve Nash circa 2004, they're going to struggle mightily through the regular season, nevermind doing anything in the playoffs.

Archived