Randy Moss cut from Vikes

jaspegs

Report: Moss waived by Vikings

Posted by Judd Zulgad

Last update: November 1, 2010 - 1:59 PM

152 Comments Add comment Print

Email Share182Add to del.icio.us CloseShare Evidently Brad Childress had a very good reason for letting Randy Moss stay in the Boston area after Sunday's game. He didn't want him to return to Winter Park -- ever.

The NFL Network is reporting that Moss has been waived by the Vikings a day after the wide receiver gave a rambling statement following a loss to the Patriots. Childress attempted to downplay Moss' comments in his news conference this afternoon but clearly he had seen enough after the wide receiver played four games for the Vikings.

Moss, obtained from the Patriots in early October for a third-round pick in 2011, had only one catch for 8 yards on Sunday and had 13 catches for 174 yards and three touchdowns since joining the Vikings.

The end of Moss' second tenure with the Vikings came after Sunday's 28-18 loss at New England.

Moss, who was fined $25,000 last week for failing to cooperate with the media, informed everyone that he would no longer take questions for the rest of the season but instead would ask himself questions and then answer them. Moss then proceeded to praise the Patriots, while criticizing the Vikings for not listening to the tips he gave them about his former team. Moss also took a shot at Childress for not kicking a field goal at the end of the first half and instead going for it on fourth down at the New England 1-yard line. Adrian Peterson lost 2 yards.

Childress disagreed with Moss' assertion that he had not heeded the advice the veteran gave about how New England would approach things. “I think we did a pretty good job of heeding it, both offensively and defensively," Childress said. "He gave us some windows into how we thought they would end up playing. That’s obviously in his eyes.”

Childress, though, attempted to downplay there were any troubles with Moss when in fact he had set the wheels in motion to get rid of him.

“Do I find [the comments] incendiary?" he said. "I just think he was going back to a spot that he has a lot of affection for and I thought by and large those comments were regarding the people there, the coach there, the ownership there and obviously there’s a fondness in his heart for those guys on that football team. Hey, you’d like to go out there and beat their tails off, nothing he would like better, but at the same time he enjoyed his stay there.”

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was he ever offered a new contract with them?

I pretty sure he never had an actual formal contract offer. Conflicting stories as to rebuffed who regarding discussing a contract extension during pre-season camp.

Moss was traded b/c he was unhappy with the decoy role. If you listened to last nights press conference it sounds like if BB was willing to take him back, he would gladly accept the role. As a vet his contract his fully quarentteed by the Vikings so the his new team could sign him for the vet min and the Vikings are on the hook for the rest. He can pretty much go where ever he wants as long as the team want him. He wants NE. I don't think he burned the bridge bad enough not to come back.

FML. you idiots know hes going to the patsies and they got a 3rd round pick to cut him loose for 3 games. ****!!!!

Dude, it's waivers. The Pats have the best record, therefore, every team in the league would have to pass for them to even have the opportunity.

Someone's going to claim him just to keep him off the Pats.

I pretty sure he never had an actual formal contract offer. Conflicting stories as to rebuffed who regarding discussing a contract extension during pre-season camp.

Moss was traded b/c he was unhappy with the decoy role. If you listened to last nights press conference it sounds like if BB was willing to take him back, he would gladly accept the role. As a vet his contract his fully quarentteed by the Vikings so the his new team could sign him for the vet min and the Vikings are on the hook for the rest. He can pretty much go where ever he wants as long as the team want him. He wants NE. I don't think he burned the bridge bad enough not to come back.

I was just trying to figure out if he was offered an extension, why did he turn it down?

Please tell us...how does it feel to have your team coached by GOD??? lol

With Moss having to go through waivers and Pats having the best record they are the last in line. The winless Bills get the first priority.

In other words, 31 teams have to pass on claiming Moss for the Pats to get a shot.

I can see teams like the Falcons or even Packers (since losing Finley) putting a claim in. There are teams out there that need receiver help.

Dude, it's waivers. The Pats have the best record, therefore, every team in the league would have to pass for them to even have the opportunity.

It sounds like he's free to sign where ever he wants though.

I think he can sign where ever he wants.

With Moss having to go through waivers and Pats having the best record they are the last in line. The winless Bills get the first priority.

In other words, 31 teams have to pass on claiming Moss for the Pats to get a shot.

I can see teams like the Falcons or even Packers (since losing Finley) putting a claim in. There are teams out there that need receiver help.

So which one is true ?

I thought it was waivers too.

FML. you idiots know hes going to the patsies and they got a 3rd round pick to cut him loose for 3 games. ****!!!!

You do realize that Miami has a claim priority over the Pats, right?

The Fins could have Moss and Marshall on the same team.

Any chance the pick involved in the trade was conditional? It's the only thing I can think of that makes any sense, that them cutting him lowers the value of the pick they're giving up or something. So freakin' weird.

That said, if Moss ends up back in New England there better be a serious investigation into this by the NFL. That would absolutely reek and it's not like that team exactly has a known history of fair play.

He has to clear waivers.

So which one is true ?

I thought it was waivers too.

I am. It's already been reported he has to go through waivers.

All post-trading deadline releases have to go through the waiver system regardless if the player is a vested veteran such as Moss.

That's how the Packers claimed Green although he was a vested veteran.

Dude he's going to the pats, this makes me sick. No one is going to claim an unmotivated Moss, he wants to play back in NE.

I am. It's already been reported he has to go through waivers.

All post-trading deadline releases have to go through the waiver system regardless if the player is a vested veteran such as Moss.

That's how the Packers claimed Green although he was a vested veteran.

Thats what i thought.

If we get a shot at him. I would sign him and release Cotch!!!

Waiver process only applies for players with 4 or less years. Moss is a FA.

Dude, he's a veteran. He doesn't go through waivers.

Yes, he does because it is a POST-TRADING DEADLINE transaction.

Vested veterans are released outright prior to the trading deadline and can sign with anyone. After the trading deadline everyone goes through waivers.

Dude he's going to the pats, this makes me sick. No one is going to claim an unmotivated Moss, he wants to play back in NE.

Someone will claim him to keep him away from the Pats like say someone who hates BB like Mangini or one of the contending teams in the AFC or anyone who needs a receiver who can catch a ******* football I'm looking at you Mike Tannenbaum.

You do realize that Miami has a claim priority over the Pats, right?

The Fins could have Moss and Marshall on the same team.

Fat chance, we still have FLO RIDA, Pitbull and Enrique Iglesias (probably soon to be owners) on our to do list before we can even think about outting a waiver claim in for Moss..

That said, if Moss ends up back in New England there better be a serious investigation into this by the NFL. That would absolutely reek and it's not like that team exactly has a known history of fair play.

Seriously, why would the NFL need to investigate this.

A team cuts a veteran player and the player signs with another team.

Happens all the time.

Waiver process only applies for players with 4 or less years. Moss is a FA.

No, he is not.

Learn about football.

After the trading deadline ALL PLAYERS go through waivers. Prior to the trading deadline a vested veteran who is cut can sign with anyone.

That's how the Packers CLAIMED Howard Green because he went through waivers although he is a vested veteran.

No, he is not.

Learn about football.

After the trading deadline ALL PLAYERS go through waivers. Prior to the trading deadline a vested veteran who is cut can sign with anyone.

That's how the Packers CLAIMED Howard Green because he went through waivers although he is a vested veteran.

I agree with this man now.

Sounds like he must go thru waivers. I don't know why he would (answer by SMC above)

Report: Randy Moss Waived by Vikings9

Comments

Say Something »

.11/01/2010 2:57 PM ET By Michael David Smith

AText SizePrint this page|EmailShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Lifestream

Michael David Smith

NFL Writer

Randy Moss is no longer a Minnesota Viking.

Michael Lombardi of NFL Network is reporting that the Vikings waived Moss on Monday, one day after he followed an unproductive game in a loss to the Patriots with a bitter press conference in which he questioned the Vikings' coaches and suggested that he'd rather be back in New England.

And just like that, the experiment of bringing Moss back to Minnesota has ended, and the Vikings have effectively signaled that they know they're not Super Bowl contenders and don't want to put up with a malcontent like Moss in their locker room. If the Vikings are going down, they're going down with the guys they want.

Minnesota is out the 2011 third-round draft pick it sent to New England in exchange for Moss in October.

The big question now is whether any NFL team will place a waiver claim on Moss. Although he's not the player he once was, he's still talented enough to make a difference to some team down the stretch. But will any head coach want the headaches he brings? The Vikings and Patriots have both determined this year that Moss is more trouble than he's worth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with this man now.

Thanks for coming over to the light. :D

FLgreen, it's already been explained why Moss has to go through waivers. It's a post trading deadline transaction. This avoids back-channel trades in circumvention of the trading deadline.

Sounds like he must go thru waivers. I don't know why he would

Report: Randy Moss Waived by Vikings9

Comments

Say Something »

.11/01/2010 2:57 PM ET By Michael David Smith

AText SizePrint this page|EmailShare on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Lifestream

Michael David Smith

NFL Writer

Randy Moss is no longer a Minnesota Viking.

Michael Lombardi of NFL Network is reporting that the Vikings waived Moss on Monday, one day after he followed an unproductive game in a loss to the Patriots with a bitter press conference in which he questioned the Vikings' coaches and suggested that he'd rather be back in New England.

And just like that, the experiment of bringing Moss back to Minnesota has ended, and the Vikings have effectively signaled that they know they're not Super Bowl contenders and don't want to put up with a malcontent like Moss in their locker room. If the Vikings are going down, they're going down with the guys they want.

Minnesota is out the 2011 third-round draft pick it sent to New England in exchange for Moss in October.

The big question now is whether any NFL team will place a waiver claim on Moss. Although he's not the player he once was, he's still talented enough to make a difference to some team down the stretch. But will any head coach want the headaches he brings? The Vikings and Patriots have both determined this year that Moss is more trouble than he's worth.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

he has to clear waivers because it is after the Trading Deadline.

Archived