Coaches were pissed today.

SenorGato

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=5754023

It's a Cimini article and I know everyone hates the guy, but interesting stuff.

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The temperature dipped outside, but it was plenty hot Monday in the meeting rooms at the New York Jets' facility.

Less than 24 hours after only the third home shutout in the last 16 years, offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer lit into his underachieving unit, according to several players. One player, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told ESPNNewYork.com it was "more intense" than any meeting he'd experienced in recent memory.

Rex Ryan, addressing the entire team, also fumed over the 9-0 loss to the Green Bay Packers. As one player said, "Rex was pretty pissed -- and rightfully so."

The ugly offensive performance included six dropped passes, three turnovers and five penalties by a unit that includes six current or former Pro Bowl players and one former Super Bowl MVP. It snapped a five-game winning streak for the Jets (5-2), and it provided plenty of fodder for Schottenheimer, who, as anybody who watched the "Hard Knocks" series knows, has a fiery side.

"It was a tough meeting to sit through," right tackle Damien Woody said. "The coaching staff, they were critical about everything ... Even the coaches were tough on themselves for some of the plays. Hey, that's what it's going to take in order for us to get better."

Wide receiver Santonio Holmes described Schottenheimer's message to the team this way: "Unacceptable ... Inexcusable. Everything that happened was inexcusable. There's no pointing fingers in our offensive room. Get it corrected and we'll be ready to roll next week."

Holmes and fellow receiver Jerricho Cotchery were the Drospey Twins. The usually sure handed Cotchery dropped three passes in the fourth quarter alone. Holmes dropped two, including a five-yard drag route in the open field that could've gone for a 45-yard touchdown.

There also were the two interceptions in which Cotchery and tight end Dustin Keller were outmuscled for the ball by Green Bay cornerbacks.

Braylon Edwards described the problem as an "arrogance" among the receivers, claiming they need to get back to the fundamentals of catching passes. The Jets aren't known as a team with bad hands.

Going into Sunday, they had 11 drops in six games, according to STATS LLC -- including four by Keller, two apiece by Cotchery and Holmes and one by Edwards.

Sunday's debacle went beyond dropped passes. Quarterback Mark Sanchez, suffering his worst statistical game in nearly a year, also failed to locate open receivers. On the second-to-last possession, Edwards was wide open in the end zone, but Sanchez threw an incompletion in the corner of the end zone to a well-covered Cotchery.

"No one was within 20 yards of [Edwards]," Ryan said.

In the second quarter, Edwards was wide open on a deep post, but the pass went to Cotchery for 13 yards. After the game, Edwards, held to only one catch, left without talking to reporters. On Monday, he explained himself, saying he was emotional and didn't "want to answer a question the wrong way or go off."

Holmes, too, ducked reporters after the game, saying through the team official that he had a family emergency. Asked about it Monday about his family situation, Holmes said tersely, "We're not going there."

So far, no player has complained publicly about his role in the offense. Edwards claimed his hasty exit had nothing to do with personal frustration, but he wondered aloud if Schottenheimer is finding it hard to keep everybody happy.

"We have so many weapons and we're trying to get all those weapons the ball," he said. "Maybe that's tough ... I'm not speaking for Schotty and I'm not speaking against Schotty. That definitely could be the case. Maybe he's sitting back and trying to make sure the ball is distributed equally.

"You know, make sure Dustin has three. Make sure Jerricho, myself [get our share]. Brad Smith has his Wildcat package. Maybe that's the case. If so, that's a tough job on a coordinator, trying to balance out the numbers."

On Sunday, only one number mattered and it loomed large:

Zero.

Rich Cimini covers the Jets for ESPNNewYork.com. Follow him on Twitter.

1. Note the contrasting way Edwards and Holmes gets portrayed. Holmes left with an obvious lie, while Edwards just straight up said that he'd answer in a way that would not end well. These little differences will be the difference in which of the two lasts here...at least IMO.

2. Cimini says stuff about how fiery Schottenhiemer was on Hard Knocks, but did anyone see it? I thought there were alot of potshots at Schottenheimer's internet reputation, but I don't remember seeing him yell or anything.

3. Edwards may have used the perfect word when he used the word "arrogance" towards the pass catchers. I think this might especially be true of Keller but I'm just speculating and bs'ing there.

4. They'll be ready to roll next week.

5. I'm surprised Schotty didn't scream "I'M SORRY! I'M SORRY!!" over and over, as he should have.

Edit: Apparently Holmes went trick or treating with his kid. At least that's what he tweeted on the Twitter.

1. Note the contrasting way Edwards and Holmes gets portrayed. Holmes left with an obvious lie, while Edwards just straight up said that he'd answer in a way that would not end well. These little differences will be the difference in which of the two lasts here...at least IMO.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/01/sports/football/01jets.html?ref=sports

Inside the locker room, receiver Braylon Edwards practically sprinted from reporters, declining to comment as he passed. His fellow wideout Santonio Holmes sat despondent at his locker, head in hands, staring into space, having just found out that his mother was in the hospital with high blood pressure.

I'm sure Braylon was in a rush to get to one of his many community service projects.

I actually came back because I missed this part:

E

dwards claimed his hasty exit had nothing to do with personal frustration, but he wondered aloud if Schottenheimer is finding it hard to keep everybody happy.

"We have so many weapons and we're trying to get all those weapons the ball," he said. "Maybe that's tough ... I'm not speaking for Schotty and I'm not speaking against Schotty. That definitely could be the case. Maybe he's sitting back and trying to make sure the ball is distributed equally.

"You know, make sure Dustin has three. Make sure Jerricho, myself [get our share]. Brad Smith has his Wildcat package. Maybe that's the case. If so, that's a tough job on a coordinator, trying to balance out the numbers."

Maybe it's competitive but either way it shouldn't have been "wondered aloud."

Point #1 is pretty gahbage.

Braylon - "I'm not speaking for Schotty and I'm not speaking against Schotty. That definitely could be the case. Maybe he's sitting back and trying to make sure the ball is distributed equally"

the man cant catch for s but this is on point here IMO... sch*tty tries to distribute every game instead of riding whose hot and adjusting to the game flow. if LT is running hard like he has been in the some past games, stay with him. when he gets tired get shonn in. if santonio is grabbing first down after first down stay with it. if mark is zinging it around give him some easy throws and play actions so he can set up the big play. do not be afraid to stay with it rather than trying to get everyone the ball.

BUT consistency is different from distribution for me and i think this guy does feel he has to get the ball to everyone like a fantasy owner and he shouldnt.

^^^ Edwards says maybe he should do that...as part of his gameplans and playcalling/rhythm building. In the end it's actually the QB who decides who gets the ball. If it was up to Schotty I'm sure Edwards would have been hit with at least one more pass on Sunday.

of course its on marks shoulders still to but not as much as the dodobird. Mark is still young and I hope still learning and he took a bad sack this week but I refuse to blame him over schotty

let me rephrase that ending, i refuse to blame him as much as schotty

of course its on marks shoulders still to but not as much as the dodobird. Mark is still young and I hope still learning and he took a bad sack this week but I refuse to blame him over schotty

If it's on Sanchez's shoulder than you take the good with the bad. Sanchez received very little support to make up for his mistakes on Sunday, and I think that's where the coaching staff is pissed.

Watching the game on Sunday I was most pissed off about Greene getting next to no carries in the second half, when he looked like he was ready to go off based on a couple of runs. On our fourth quarter drive after just going down 6-0, the first turnover on downs drive, after the pass plays on second, third and fourth downs, as well as after a windy day of incomplete, dropped, and intercepted balls, all I could think about was how much better off we would've been if Greene had run on all four downs. Pick up that first and ground and pound to the endzone.

It cant be ignored that Edwards and Holmes are fighting for dollars right now, and finishing with sh*tty statistical years is going to cost one or the other huge. If Schottenheimer doesn't get it sorted out soon, that tension will only grow. It wouldn't surprise me if one or the other came up with a mystery hamstring issue toward the end of the season that they could use as an alibi for not putting up numbers.

It cant be ignored that Edwards and Holmes are fighting for dollars right now, and finishing with sh*tty statistical years is going to cost one or the other huge. If Schottenheimer doesn't get it sorted out soon, that tension will only grow. It wouldn't surprise me if one or the other came up with a mystery hamstring issue toward the end of the season that they could use as an alibi for not putting up numbers.

Santonio Holmes shouldn't have went and got himself suspended.

Can't force the team to play catchup just so your future paycheck improves...

At THIS point in time, I think you have to like what edward's brings to this team, minus dwi and all.

I just wish that Schotty seemed like he actually gave a sh*t before a loss and not only after one.

This is no SB type team. We have the talent, but we are either missing the desire, the smarts, or possibly both to get it done.

It shouldn't take a loss to ruffle some feathers and get this team fired up, but SOJ. They will rally, beat up on some average to bad teams, and then drop the ball (pun intended) when we face a contender like the Pat's later in the year.

This stinks of SOJ, and I hate it. I hope I'm wrong, but the old gut thinks this year will end like every other. Oh well.

All fine and good they have the groovy Seminole package. But teams have scouted it every week, there's no surprise to it, and if you're gonna pass you'd rather have Sanchez throw it. To waste 3 or 4 snaps a game for what amounts to a waste of time when you have all these weapons at WR and 2 good backs is really stupid. If Schitty wants to break that out for a play or 2 in December after teams haven't seen it for a few games or simply to make them prep on it, fine. Running it over and over week after week when he gets bored with calling actual plays that can gain yards is moronic.

Every time Schotty gets too much time to spend on a game plan, the team comes out and lays an egg. He can get pissed all he wants, find me one other offensive coordinator that is ONLY responsible for the passing half of his teams offense and puts a more schitzophrenic product on the field week to week.

Every time Schotty gets too much time to spend on a game plan, the team comes out and lays an egg. He can get pissed all he wants, find me one other offensive coordinator that is ONLY responsible for the passing half of his teams offense and puts a more schitzophrenic product on the field week to week.

I agree, just look at the opener and now this mess!

He out thinks himself instead of sticking to what works. ( a few extra catches and of coure may be the running game opens up a bit though)

All fine and good they have the groovy Seminole package. But teams have scouted it every week, there's no surprise to it, and if you're gonna pass you'd rather have Sanchez throw it. To waste 3 or 4 snaps a game for what amounts to a waste of time when you have all these weapons at WR and 2 good backs is really stupid. If Schitty wants to break that out for a play or 2 in December after teams haven't seen it for a few games or simply to make them prep on it, fine. Running it over and over week after week when he gets bored with calling actual plays that can gain yards is moronic.

Yet Smith averaged more ypc than Greene or Tomlinon. Who cares if it's "stale"? Brett Favre has been stale for more than a decade.

its been 24 hours, Im ready to let this one go

i truly believe that if they played that game 100 times, that particular outcome is an outlier.

they got no breaks, no luck and most times they win that game.

FWIW if Nick Folk had hit that kick, the Jets tied at 3-3 are mentally a far better team than the Jets who haven't scored a point all game and are pressing to make a big play.

its been 24 hours, Im ready to let this one go

i truly believe that if they played that game 100 times, that particular outcome is an outlier.

they got no breaks, no luck and most times they win that game.

FWIW if Nick Folk had hit that kick, the Jets tied at 3-3 are mentally a far better team than the Jets who haven't scored a point all game and are pressing to make a big play.

FWIW, he was kicking into the wind and they should have went for the first down.

They should be pissed at themselves!

They picked horrible plays to challenge, an obvious fumble and a questionable catch that would have gave us a chance to punt.

They decided to kick a field goal into the wind, instead of going for it on 4th an 1, only to go for it on 4th and 8 with over 4 minutes left.

They gave Weatherford full autonomy, in other words the green light to fake a punt on 4th and 18 from his own 18 yard line.

They blew through all of their timeouts, instead of saving one for a drive.

They forgot about being a "ground and pound" team, you know a "great" one that can impose their will on a game, where passing is giving both teams trouble.

They decided to give the whole team a week off despite 2 lack luster offensive performances leading up to the bye.

I can go on, but I'm feeling sick now.

The flags on the goalposts were motionless at the time of the kick.

Maybe it was the hand of God.

So what, the winds dart in and out. Did you see the kick GB missed?

Sure looked like Folk kicked that anticipating the wind would have an effect, I doubt it was the hand of God he felt and saw blowing all game long.

Schotty needs to stop overthinking, both games the offense sucked he has had WAY too much time to prepare. It's almost like he has the whole game plan drawn out before hand instead of adapting as the game goes on and when something fails it turns into a panic mode and the team is a mess.

^^^ Edwards says maybe he should do that...as part of his gameplans and playcalling/rhythm building. In the end it's actually the QB who decides who gets the ball. If it was up to Schotty I'm sure Edwards would have been hit with at least one more pass on Sunday.

Exactly

Rex has said about a dozen times that the game plan is to throw the ball to the open receiver. Period

For some reason it seems like Sanchez isn’t seeing the field. Still, while Holmes was suspended Edwards was his money guy. You would think he would be looking at him first.

With that said 6 drops, and letting two balls be ripped out from very strong receives hands is inexcusable. If those 8 balls are caught, even with Sanchez not seeing Edwards twice for TD’s the Jets win going away.

Terrible game.

Both Rex and Schotty get no pass here. Team wasn’t prepared to play

Yet Smith averaged more ypc than Greene or Tomlinon. Who cares if it's "stale"? Brett Favre has been stale for more than a decade.

A fumble and 12 yards on 3 carries is crap. Would you rather have LT or Greene run it, or Smith? Teams know what Smith is going to do.

Get what corrected? They've lost 1 of the past 6 games and the offense has been the best unit on the team in that span.

The offensive dysfunction.

Schotty is upset for a reason. His unit didn't work properly. It's his job to make it work. That's life. That's why coaches get fired.

You can advocate all you want about how good Schotty is or how he doesn't suck, but that's irrelevant because all that matters is production. If the offense fails to produce Schotty takes the heat. The Jets aren't canning Sanchez if things go wrong. They'll can Schotty.

As such, it's Schotty's job to correct things. In other words, as Rex says he is in the "win business," the debate about whether Schotty is part of the problem is irrelevant--all that matters is whether Schotty has a solution. If not, like I said, the Jets will look else where after the season.

The offensive dysfunction.

Schotty is upset for a reason. His unit didn't work properly. It's his job to make it work. That's life. That's why coaches get fired.

You can advocate all you want about how good Schotty is or how he doesn't suck, but that's irrelevant because all that matters is production. If the offense fails to produce Schotty takes the heat. The Jets aren't canning Sanchez if things go wrong. They'll can Schotty.

As such, it's Schotty's job to correct things. In other words, as Rex says he is in the "win business," the debate about whether Schotty is part of the problem is irrelevant--all that matters is whether Schotty has a solution. If not, like I said, the Jets will look else where after the season.

The solution to Sundays game:

1. Catch the ball.

2. Find the open WR with the most room to gain ground.

These should be easy enough to fix, which is why I find myself not all that worried.

Actually I'm surprised to anti-Schotty stuff wasn't worse this week. Maybe you guys are gaining patience and just waiting for that bigger loss...

Archived