Logan Mankins is back for the Pats.

SenorGato

But what will his attitude be once he arrives? Will he be a good soldier from here on out or will he become a pain in Belichick's a$$?

He is coming back two week earlier than he has to and is joining a 6-1 team. I think he will be the good soldier at least if the Pats keep winning. He wants a ring just like every other player in the NFL and the odds for the Pats look better now than most people expected in July. And if becomes a pain in the a$$ he will be cut go thru waivers and be playing guard in buffalo.

I'm sure he's in tiptop shape

While the Pats OL hasn't been GREAT, it has been pretty good in his absence. The Patriots play the Browns next week. I think it would be safe to say that either the Patriots can throw him into the fire against the dreaded Browns pass rush, or they can give him an extra week of practice before facing the Steelers. Neither is a "bad" option.

Personally I'd lean towards throwing him back in the fire, at least for a few drives, especially if the game is well in hand in the fourth quarter. Let him knock some rust off.

I have nothing personal against him for holding out.

He is coming back two week earlier than he has to and is joining a 6-1 team. I think he will be the good soldier at least if the Pats keep winning. He wants a ring just like every other player in the NFL and the odds for the Pats look better now than most people expected in July. And if becomes a pain in the a$$ he will be cut go thru waivers and be playing guard in buffalo.

He wanted a ring so badly, he decided to rest up for the end of the season.

That is some team sacrifice there

I am not saying that at all.

He held out cause he thought he could get more money that way (ala Revis).

But I do think he came back early cause he wants to be productive in the Steelers and Colts games. And doesn't want at the end of the season to be percieved as not being a factor in the NEP season. Plus he needs to showcase his talents, to land the big FA contract he is seeking.

But I do think he came back early cause he wants to be productive in the Steelers and Colts games. And doesn't want at the end of the season to be percieved as not being a factor in the NEP season. Plus he needs to showcase his talents, to land the big FA contract he is seeking.

We can be relatively sure that his interests are entirely motivated by $$$$$, and have nothing to do with Steelers or Colts.

Actions speak louder than words. If the concern was team, he would have been there much earlier. Same as Revis.

He is out for himself, not the team

We can be relatively sure that his interests are entirely motivated by $$$$$, and have nothing to do with Steelers or Colts.

Actions speak louder than words. If the concern was team, he would have been there much earlier. Same as Revis.

He is out for himself, not the team

Absolutely. But fortunatly for the Pats once he shows up his interests and the Pats interest are pretty much the same. He is worth more if on the FA market if the he plays a major part in the Pats winning the SB than if he gets benched for giving less than 100% in a year in which the Pats miss the playoffs and record declines with his return.

Absolutely. But fortunatly for the Pats once he shows up his interests and the Pats interest are pretty much the same. He is worth more if on the FA market if the he plays a major part in the Pats winning the SB than if he gets benched for giving less than 100% in a year in which the Pats miss the playoffs and record declines with his return.

Players are judged far more on how their skills measure in match-ups, than how their team performs.

If the Patriots are to win the Super Bowl, the impact to Mankins ultimate contract would be negligible. Teams will pay him for skills, not how his team did.

Players are judged far more on how their skills measure in match-ups, than how their team performs.

If the Patriots are to win the Super Bowl, the impact to Mankins ultimate contract would be negligible. Teams will pay him for skills, not how his team did.

While team performance is not the most significant factor it is not negligible either. Starters on teams that win the superbowl are generally perceived to be better players than starters on teams that go 4-12. While there are obvious exceptions and even bad teams have some great players, in general being part of a winning team benefits a player in FA.

+1. And in comparison to the Revis situation, jmo but OG's getting in game shape is a much quicker turn-around than CB's.

I think he came back now because he is getting incredible heat from the union to come back. Vincent Jackson got the same heat as well and finally signed his tender. I think that played the biggest role in it.

I think he came back now because he is getting incredible heat from the union to come back. Vincent Jackson got the same heat as well and finally signed his tender. I think that played the biggest role in it.

BELICHEAT'S A GENIUS!

Jason, can you expand on this?

I thought the NFLPA was all about getting the most money for players?

It's a perfect example of the difference between the NEP and the NYJ.

Jets absolutely cave in and pay a Pro Bowl CB his ridiculous demands.

Pats hold the line and get a Pro Bowl G for a reduced salary.

Some things never change.

It's a perfect example of the difference between the NEP and the NYJ.

Jets absolutely cave in and pay a Pro Bowl CB his ridiculous demands.

Pats hold the line and get a Pro Bowl G for a reduced salary.

Some things never change.

Really? He will not be back with them, he will be UFA, next year...nice spin crooked

Really? He will not be back with them, he will be UFA, next year...nice spin crooked

Lets think about this for a second, like TX said the Pats get a motivated pro bowl guard for the next 9 games at a reduced cost, they then have the following options: either franchise tag him, sign him, trade him, or just let him go and get a 3rd round comp pick. Did I also mention that the Pats have the best record in football without him? In what green glass covered world can you find any down side for the Pats here? :blink:

Lets think about this for a second, like TX said the Pats get a motivated pro bowl guard for the next 9 games at a reduced cost, they then have the following options: either franchise tag him, sign him, trade him, or just let him go and get a 3rd round comp pick. Did I also mention that the Pats have the best record in football without him? In what green glass covered world can you find any down side for the Pats here? :blink:

Yeah, putting the franchise tag on him will keep him very motivated.

he is so motivated, that he decided to take a vacation.

Jason, can you expand on this?

I thought the NFLPA was all about getting the most money for players?

Guys like him and Jackson are both very unique cases because they are restricted free agents only due to the rules of the uncapped year. There are two issues at hand here. When RFAs choose not to report the team continues to hold their rights the following year. The problem in this case is that if the league and union extend the same basics from the CBA in regards to free agency players like Mankins should be unrestricted in a normal capped year. His argument will be that he has the accrued seasons to be a UFA and completed the old contract so he is free to sign elsewhere. The team wil argue otherwise because in the interim he was a RFA that failed to report. It creates an entire new negotiation between the sides that could set a dangerous precedent and the union does not want to deal with those types of negotiations for 2 or 3 players when it could cost the rest of the union players workout money or game money due to the time it takes to negotiate those clauses. This is why the union told those three guys all year to get back on the teams. Normally they would not care but this makes life very complicated for the union and can be avoided by just getting on the field.

The second issue at play is that in order for Mankins to obtain a guarantee of UFA in the event the league is successful in its attempt to push RFA back another year he needs to be have at least 6 games under his belt. However the Patriots can seek permission for an exemption from the commissioner as far as I know. I believe each time he is exempt the games do not count towards an accrued season. My guess is they could get an exemption up to three weeks, similar to if they placed him on the list after the preseason. If that is the case he basically has to report now or chance losing that year.

Yeah, putting the franchise tag on him will keep him very motivated.

he is so motivated, that he decided to take a vacation.

So what you're saying is that a Pro Bowl Guard with FA on his mind is going to mail in the next nine games of the season hoping that will encourage a team to make him the highest paid Guard in the NFL??? Really what are Jets fans smoking? :huh:

So what you're saying is that a Pro Bowl Guard with FA on his mind is going to mail in the next nine games of the season hoping that will encourage a team to make him the highest paid Guard in the NFL??? Really what are Jets fans smoking? :huh:

How did you manage to misunderstand a 2 sentence post? He meant that he was so motivated by the RFA tag that he refused to play for 8 weeks. It follows that the franchise tag will motivate him in a similar fashion.

Is that really what you got out of his post? :blink:

Most would have to be smoking to be as stupid as you.

Open wide :o wider :lol: good troll, now swallow.

How did you manage to misunderstand a 2 sentence post? He meant that he was so motivated by the RFA tag that he refused to play for 8 weeks. It follows that the franchise tag will motivate him in a similar fashion.

So what do you suggest the Pats do?

Cave in like the Jets did with Revis?

Not at all. My issue was with James' lack of reading comprehension, not the Pats contract problems. I imagine they'll let him go and take the compensation. Either that or trade him to Oakland for all their second round picks for the rest of eternity.

Is that really what you got out of his post? :blink:

Most would have to be smoking to be as stupid as you.

Open wide :o wider :lol: good troll, now swallow.

Is insults the best you can do, I mean I know Jet fans fear what they know deep down inside is coming for their franchise but really. :unsure: If Jet fans want to belive Mankins will come in and dog it for the remaning 9 games feel free, but the reality is that TX is right, the Pats just got better in a spot that really has been pretty strong to begin with. :D

Is insults the best you can do, I mean I know Jet fans fear what they know deep down inside is coming for their franchise but really. :unsure: If Jet fans want to belive Mankins will come in and dog it for the remaning 9 games feel free, but the reality is that TX is right, the Pats just got better in a spot that really has been pretty strong to begin with. :D

And you still don't get the post.

STUPID! :blink:

TX-How did the Jets "cave"? Did they meet his full demands?

How do you even know what the full demands were? Were you part of the negotiations?

Throw things out to see how they stick to the wall as much as you want, but you made a pretty ignorant statement there.

If you were the Jets management, how would you have handled the situation to the best interest of the club? What makes you so sure that would have worked to the satisfaction of Revis an co.?

TX-How did the Jets "cave"? Did they meet his full demands?

How do you even know what the full demands were? Were you part of the negotiations?

Throw things out to see how they stick to the wall as much as you want, but you made a pretty ignorant statement there.

If you were the Jets management, how would you have handled the situation to the best interest of the club? What makes you so sure that would have worked to the satisfaction of Revis an co.?

Dierk, first of all Revis was not a FA or UFA, he had 3 years left on a contract (very lucrative) that he signed.

The only thing the Jets did was set a precedent.

Any future Jets player under contract can now hold out and expect a raise.

Bottom line, the Jets FO caved in.

Per SI:

Had Mankins not reported by Nov. 16, he would have lost a year toward free agency eligibility.

Under the most recent collective bargaining agreement a player could become an unrestricted free agent after five seasons. That increased to six when owners opted out of the deal. Unless Mankins signs beyond this season, he can become an unrestricted free agent.

His holdout began with criticism of the organization.

ESPN Boston had reported that Mankins and his agent, Frank Bauer, asked the Patriots after the 2008 season about a contract extension but were told that owner Robert Kraft wanted to wait because of the uncertain labor situation.

"I was asked to play '09 out, and that they would address the contract during the uncapped year. I'm a team player, I took them at their word, and I felt I played out an undervalued contract," Mankins said in June. "Right now, this is about principle with me and keeping your word and how you treat people. This is what I thought the foundation of the Patriots was built on. Apparently, I was wrong. Growing up, I was taught a man's word is his bond. Obviously this isn't the case with the Patriots."

He later apologized.

Asked if he would take Mankins' criticism into account in deciding when to use him, Belichick said, "As always, we will do what's best for the football team."

Caserio wouldn't say if the Patriots expect to work out a long-term deal.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/11/02/logan-mankins.ap/index.html#ixzz14GWDTCW8

Archived