Broken Ribs

New York Mick

I started playing rugby again and broke the bottom two ribs on my right side in the back. The doctor said I shouldn't have any contact for at least 8 weeks and no exercise for two weeks to a month but I don't want to lose my fitness and I'm impatient as hell so I'm going to start training ASAP.

Do any of you have any exercises or anything that you did to keep your fitness and strength up while you were recovering?

Anything that doesn't cause pain...since most things will I'd suggest modifying whatever your body tells you you can get away with...For instance, instead of doing real push ups do the "girl" push ups...Honestly, you probably really should take a couple weeks off so you can see how the injury affects your everyday movement...f*ckin even sneezing is going to suck.

Anything that doesn't cause pain...since most things will I'd suggest modifying whatever your body tells you you can get away with...For instance, instead of doing real push ups do the "girl" push ups...Honestly, you probably really should take a couple weeks off so you can see how the injury affects your everyday movement...f*ckin even sneezing is going to suck.

So basically I can float around weightless and not move or breath, lol. I really can't do anything without it hurting like a bitch, it's only been four days. I don't mind dealing with the pain as long as I know I'm not causing more damage. I figure light quad exs, ham curls, elliptical and maybe jogging would be ok. I tried swimming like a dumbass and almost drowned so that's out,lol, along with sprinting or anything else that cause impact and requires me to breath that deep.

So basically I can float around weightless and not move or breath, lol. I really can't do anything without it hurting like a bitch, it's only been four days. I don't mind dealing with the pain as long as I know I'm not causing more damage. I figure light quad exs, ham curls, elliptical and maybe jogging would be ok. I tried swimming like a dumbass and almost drowned so that's out,lol, along with sprinting or anything else that cause impact and requires me to breath that deep.

Rotfl. At least you're alive...

Injuries suck man, but you really should give it a couple weeks to heal. The best you can do for yourself right now is rest, stick to a healthy diet, and rest.

I'd also maybe shoot for the stationary bike over the elliptical...just raise the seat or push it back so that your legs don't come so close to your upper body...Even though just telling you to do this goes against the best advice I can give you.

Rotfl. At least you're alive...

Injuries suck man, but you really should give it a couple weeks to heal. The best you can do for yourself right now is rest, stick to a healthy diet, and rest.

I'd also maybe shoot for the stationary bike over the elliptical...just raise the seat or push it back so that your legs don't come so close to your upper body...Even though just telling you to do this goes against the best advice I can give you.

LOL, you sound like the doctor when I told him I still wanted to train. I broke the ribs in my back not the front so sitting down is less then pleasant that's why I was going with the elliptical over a bike.

Rib injuries are not to be f*cked around with at all. Use your head dude. This is going to sound ridiculous but try not to laugh that much. A boxer's trick for bruised and broken ribs is while you're relaxing and/or watching TV, hold a pillow across your chest for whenever you're coughing, laughing, or sneezing. And take Vitamin C to make sure you don't get sick because if you do catch a cold that's going to be a painful couple of days.

Rib injuries are not to be f*cked around with at all. Use your head dude. This is going to sound ridiculous but try not to laugh that much. A boxer's trick for bruised and broken ribs is while you're relaxing and/or watching TV, hold a pillow across your chest for whenever you're coughing, laughing, or sneezing. And take Vitamin C to make sure you don't get sick because if you do catch a cold that's going to be a painful couple of days.

Coughing is a ******* nightmare (thank **** I stop smoking weed), I try to hold it until I can push up against the wall cause its in the back so holding a pillow in the front doesn't help. As far as sneezing goes I've been able to stop myself every time so far, it's the last ******* thing I want to do, lol.

I've been reading up and exercises that you can do and pretty much everything says if it doesn't hurt to bad then do and if it does then don't.

Archived