Paying off the mortgage

drago

It all depends where you buy in the Poconos, what it is near and the type of structure that you place on the land.

Some are very appreciable.

Yes, there are some nice communities up there that have appreciated. Mine was more of a general statement, when the market is doing well OVERALL the Poconos did not keep pace with the rate we saw in NJ and NY. My wife's family had a house there for 20 years, it did appreciate over time.

I think you buy there more for fun and to have a get away as opposed to an investment. Much like buying a new car...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which community?

There isn't a lot of buildable land left in Hemlock Farms.

Communities around Lake Wallenpaupack. There are some really good deals right now on a 4 season get a way. Im considering taking a plunge. Im just unsure with my job and my current injury as to what the future holds.

Communities around Lake Wallenpaupack. There are some really good deals right now on a 4 season get a way. Im considering taking a plunge. Im just unsure with my job and my current injury as to what the future holds.

We have a friend that has lake views, they are high up and it is a short walk to the lake, basically the next row of houses. I really don't know enough about real estate in that area but I will say that Lake is very nice. I think those houses will definitely appreciate, they are easy to get to and that lake is huge.

Throw up some links to houses there if you can. I would definitely be interested in seeing what stuff is going for there right now.

We have a friend that has lake views, they are high up and it is a short walk to the lake, basically the next row of houses. I really don't know enough about real estate in that area but I will say that Lake is very nice. I think those houses will definitely appreciate, they are easy to get to and that lake is huge.

Throw up some links to houses there if you can. I would definitely be interested in seeing what stuff is going for there right now.

Again im not looking for a primary residence,just a weekend get-a-way place. Heres a link in a community ive been considering. Its called The Hideout.

http://www.flexmls.com/cgi-bin/mainmenu.cgi?cmd=url+other/createlink/link_receiver.html&no_html_header=true&i=rgszrfmurum,5

This is true but theres some really nice homes under $80K that can be financed for 20 years for under $400 a month. And you own a weekend get-a-way and another tax write off.

How is it another tax write off?

You can only write the tax off on the interest you pay for your primary residence.

That's why they call it homestead exemption.

How is it another tax write off?

You can only write the tax off on the interest you pay for your primary residence.

That's why they call it homestead exemption.

If you rent the place out for a specific number of weeks I think there are some tax credits I may be wrong. I also think that if you decide to fix up your primary residence you can claim the repairs under the rental property. Again im not 100% sure and would have to check with my financial consultant. I vaguely remember a family member doing this on shore property.

If you rent the place out for a specific number of weeks I think there are some tax credits I may be wrong. I also think that if you decide to fix up your primary residence you can claim the repairs under the rental property. Again im not 100% sure and would have to check with my financial consultant. I vaguely remember a family member doing this on shore property.

There maybe some tax breaks for repairs in certain situations, but you can only have 1 homestead exemption.

In other words, you can not write off the interest you pay on rental properties, vacation and/or second homes.

That's how it was when I was writing mortgages for a living anyway.

There maybe some tax breaks for repairs in certain situations, but you can only have 1 homestead exemption.

In other words, you can not write off the interest you pay on rental properties, vacation and/or second homes.

If I decided to take a home equity loan on my primary residence wouldnt the payments be tax deductable? Again im no expert and would consult my financial guy before doing anything.

If I decided to take a home equity loan on my primary residence wouldnt the payments be tax deductable? Again im no expert and would consult my financial guy before doing anything.

The payments are never tax deductible, the interest you pay is.

If you took a home equity loan out on your primary residence, then yes the interest you pay on that loan would be deductible.

However if you are using that money to buy a vacation or rental property free and clear, then you are risking your primary residence.

I would not consider it wise, to use your primary residence as collateral for an investment or second home, just to get the tax break.

Especially since it might not belong before homestead exemptions no longer exist.

Why put your primary residence at risk, for a 2nd property?

With the way the rates are today, at the price of the homes you are talking about here, I would much rather have the lien on the 2nd property, not the primary.

Maybe that's just me though.

The payments are never tax deductible, the interest you pay is.

If you took a home equity loan out on your primary residence, then yes the interest you pay on that loan would be deductible.

However if you are using that money to buy a vacation or rental property free and clear, then you are risking your primary residence.

I would not consider it wise, to use your primary residence as collateral for an investment or second home, just to get the tax break.

Especially since it might not belong before homestead exemptions no longer exist.

Why put your primary residence at risk, for a 2nd property?

With the way the rates are today, at the price of the homes you are talking about here, I would much rather have the lien on the 2nd property, not the primary.

Maybe that's just me though.

I have no intentions of using my primary residence as collateral. I would just as easy take out a new mortgage for say 15-20 years at rates nearly 4% and go that route. Once im done paying for my primary residence im done no liens or loans wanted.

The deals that are out there are making things enticing. Homes at the Jersey shore are also cheap only problem most I look at are on land leases and I want no part of that.

I have no intentions of using my primary residence as collateral. I would just as easy take out a new mortgage for say 15-20 years at rates nearly 4% and go that route. Once im done paying for my primary residence im done no liens or loans wanted.

The deals that are out there are making things enticing. Homes at the Jersey shore are also cheap only problem most I look at are on land leases and I want no part of that.

OK, well you confused me with your question then.

I said all along you could write off the interest you pay on your primary residence, it's the secondary properties that are not homestead exemptions.

I don't think I ever did much of anything involving a land lease, but in places like the Jersey shore, they may be a common thing.

I don't blame you from staying away from them, but it sounds like that may severely restrict what you can get into over there.

OK, well you confused me with your question then.

I said all along you could write off the interest you pay on your primary residence, it's the secondary properties that are not homestead exemptions.

I don't think I ever did much of anything involving a land lease, but in places like the Jersey shore, they may be a common thing.

I don't blame you from staying away from them, but it sounds like that may severely restrict what you can get into over there.

The problem with most N.J shore homes is the cheaper ones are usually a land lease. You look at the taxes which are relatively cheap and then add the land lease and you run from these deals. In the Poconos taxes are dirt cheap and most association fees in a community are $250 a year. A weekend get-a-way an hour from my house in the mountains,just have to make sure they televise the NYJETS up there.

The problem with most N.J shore homes is the cheaper ones are usually a land lease. You look at the taxes which are relatively cheap and then add the land lease and you run from these deals. In the Poconos taxes are dirt cheap and most association fees in a community are $250 a year. A weekend get-a-way an hour from my house in the mountains,just have to make sure they televise the NYJETS up there.

Yeah I hear you, that may be the way to go.

You could always try to swap a few weeks with somebody who owns on the shore too.

Or just rent out your spot in the Poconos to someone for a vacation, and then hit the shore for yours.

I believe the second home\rental home test is small, like 2 weeks. Meaning if you use that house more than 2 weeks it is a vacation home and you get nada.

If it is a rental property that opens you up to Schedule E and a whole world of deductions. Interest, Advertising costs, among other expenses. Schedule E is a good place to be.

I believe the second home\rental home test is small, like 2 weeks. Meaning if you use that house more than 2 weeks it is a vacation home and you get nada.

If it is a rental property that opens you up to Schedule E and a whole world of deductions. Interest, Advertising costs, among other expenses. Schedule E is a good place to be.

Agreed, but are you sure the interest you pay on the mortgage is deductible?

That's what I thought visa was referring to.

You seem knowledgeable in Pocono real estate. A chalet in a lake community good or bad investment.

If you are looking for a quick flip-Bad idea.

If you are looking for something that you can use to enjoy a little bit, and have it appreciate a fair amount over 20 years-good investment.

I bought 8 acres and built a mountain chalet.

I don't expect to sell for 20 years.

My parents have 162 acres up there. Bought in 1960 for $40,000.

If you are looking for a quick flip-Bad idea.

If you are looking for something that you can use to enjoy a little bit, and have it appreciate a fair amount over 20 years-good investment.

I bought 8 acres and built a mountain chalet.

I don't expect to sell for 20 years.

My parents have 162 acres up there. Bought in 1960 for $40,000.

Nice is it in a development. How about a pic.

Archived